Author Topic: DTF Best of 2010 - Round 1  (Read 25667 times)

Offline orcus116

• DT.net Veteran
Re: DTF Best of 2010 - Round 1
« Reply #35 on: January 04, 2011, 08:24:04 AM »

WTF has happened to my taste this year, this list is too progless. 

Well do you think that says more about you or about prog?

Online ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #36 on: January 04, 2011, 08:38:20 AM »
Probably more about him, this year wasn't particularly good or bad for prog.

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Offline wkiml

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #37 on: January 04, 2011, 09:37:04 AM »
Don't even have a top 10 for the year but here is a partial list

1- OVERKILL- Ironbound
2- Accept
3- James Labrie
4- Joe Satriani
5- Alter Bridge
6- A7X
7- Coheed & Cambria

Quote from: senecadawg2 on July 17, 2012, 10:54:32 PM
In defense of peanut butter...

try getting the neighbor's dog to lick your balls with a spoonful of chummus.

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
  • But not the medical kind.
« Reply #38 on: January 04, 2011, 11:04:08 AM »
If people don't format their lists correctly they will not be included. This is enough work as is without people not reading and following guidelines.
For the best online progressive radio: ProgRock.com
For the best in progressive news, reviews, and interviews: SonicPerspectives.com
For a trove of older podcasts and interviews: WPaPU.com
Awesome Majesty Pendant Club: Member #1

Offline Marvellous G

• I'm not sure on the avatar swearing policy...
« Reply #39 on: January 04, 2011, 11:09:54 AM »
Goddamit how on earth could I forget The Suburbs! Oh well.

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #40 on: January 04, 2011, 11:10:49 AM »
I have not started compiling yet, so feel free to go back and edit your list.
For the best in progressive news, reviews, and interviews: SonicPerspectives.com

Offline Marvellous G

• I'm not sure on the avatar swearing policy...
« Reply #41 on: January 04, 2011, 11:15:34 AM »
Oh ok cool, will do.

Offline Global Laziness

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #42 on: January 04, 2011, 11:27:45 AM »
Posting in this thread to remind me to have my list done before the 12th. There are still a few albums from 2010 I'd really like to hear that I haven't heard yet.
Quote from: Jamesman42
Global Laziness: Speaks for Canada
Quote from: black_floyd
I walked down a spiral staircase in 19/16 in honor of Tom Sawyer and now I'm in crutches.

Online SoundscapeMN

« Reply #43 on: January 04, 2011, 11:38:49 AM »
Yeah, overall, I felt this was a down year compared to some of the other recent years. Still, some good albums that came out, but overall, compared to recent years, I think 2010 was not as good, especially in terms of depth.

more

Before the oncoming review/hyperbole, I think it might be good to review the past few years lists.

2009:
11. Kiss Kiss | The Meek Shall Inherit What's Left 4.5-stars
10. note. | my city of ghosts, stars and hours 4.5-stars
9. Local Natives | Gorilla Manor 4.5-stars
8. Long Distance Calling | Avoid the Light 4.5-stars
7. Pure Reason Revolution | Amor Vincit Omnia 4.5-stars
6. Umphrey's McGee | Mantis 4.5-stars
5. dredg | The Pariah, the Parrot, the Delusion 4.5-stars
4. The Dear Hunter | Act III: Life and Death 4.5-stars
3. Mew | No More Stories 4.5-stars
2. Soundscape | Grave New World 5-stars
1. Kevin Gilbert | Nuts/Bolts 5-stars

2008:
8. Kacica | Mosaic 4.5-stars
7. Wolf Parade | At Mt.Zoomer 4.5-stars
6. Mutyumu | Ilya 4.5-stars
5. Bend Sinister | Stories of Brothers, Tales of Lovers 4.5-stars
4. Burst | Lazarus Bird 4.5-stars
3. Ours | Mercy (Dancing for the Death of an Imaginary Enemy) 5-stars
2. The Stiletto Formal | !Fiesta, Fiesta, Fiesta, Fiesta! 5-stars
1. Apes and Androids | Blood Moon 5-stars

2007:
10. 3 | The End is Begun 4-stars
9. Karnivool | Themata (US) 4-stars
8. In Vain | The Latter Rain 4.5-stars
7. Kiss Kiss | Reality vs. the Optimist 4.5-stars
6. House of Fools | Live and Learn 4.5-stars
5. Fair to Midland | Fables From a Mayfly: What I Tell Three Times is True 4.5-stars
4. Oceansize | Frames 4.5-stars
3. Between the Buried and Me | Colors 5-stars
2. The Dear Hunter | Act II: The Meaning of and All Things Regarding Ms.Leading 5-stars
1. Kaddisfly | Set Sail the Prairie 5-stars

So, looking at those lists, each year had something great about it. 2007 had a really nice race between the top 3-6 records especially. 2008 had 1 record come out of nowhere, and then a couple of records coming in late that have been staples since. And 2009, while wasn't filled with perfection, had a lot of depth.

2010? sort of was not as deep nor not quite as top-heavy. It was a year where 1 record did kind of come out of nowhere, and another even before it was rather impressive. And then the rest of the year nothing really gave a hint of getting close.

Maybe I'm selfish or picky to want a race? I dunno. I do know, I found myself hunting and hunting (or hoping often) that something would blow me away this year, and while some of the records surprised me, and new bands showed up on my radar, it really didn't have quite the drama or memorable competition that those last 3 years did I guess.

I must not forget, 2010, will also be known, a bit like 2006. There was 1 record I got to hear in 2006, that got pushed back until 2007. That record was Kaddisfly's Set Sail the Prairie. And 2006 really was the last weak year I have felt for new albums, until 2010. Had the Kaddisfly album been included, it would have made 2006 seem a fair amount better. 1 great record can do that. And 2010, the same sort of thing happened. A great record (although I'd question if it'll ever get to the level of that Kaddisfly album, but who knows) I got to hear for many months, knowing it was pushed back until the next year.

In other words, 1 album would have certainly helped the depth and the way I see 2010 now. But as a result, that record will make 2011 all the more better. And 2007 was all the more better with the Kaddisfly record being included. So we'll see.

But I suppose 2010 will be known, from my experience, for a few things. The djent fad in Metal. It's all over the place the way "post" "math" and even "stoner" have been the last 5-7 years especially. How long it lasts? I dunno. But like those others, it's only valued when used with well written songs/compositions. And most of it ain't.

2010 also was the year I probably came across more music with tambourine-toned splash and crash cymbals. Poor production. A mixing and mastering flaw I've been hampered by for a few years, but I think this year more than any other, I've noticed more music suffering from it. Many of the 'core and any hard rock and modern metal albums have it. I suspect it's just being unaware and using mediocre software to mix. It's interesting, I did hear a few records within those genres that had totally clean splashy cymbal mixes. If only the people doing that mixing and mastering work would publish something online and give it to every band on Facebook, Bandcamp, Reverbnation, Soundcloud, Spotify, Grooveshark and yes, still Myspace. Perhaps a lot of these terrible mixes would be a thing of the past.

2010, was also of course for myself, the year I probably experienced the hype-machine more than ever, from artists I've known longer than more or less 95% of their fan-base by years end. I'm referring to of course Local Natives and Warpaint.

I probably will think of 2010 for those 2 bands more than any others. And how all the lemming-hipsters jumped on their bandwagons and started pigeon-holing them pathetically. Comparing them to artists they sounded next to nothing like. And along with that, I being someone who have done a ton of cross-posting and spreading the word, received very little if any credit from those blogs, bandwagon-fans, and most importantly, media-resources, frankly I wish would-have, and still should give me some credit for.

The band's themselves know I've been around as long as I have. Local Natives do of course. I've seen them 5 times the past 3+ years in concert in Minnesota. They know me, they know my name, they likely also have seen this blog many times. But expecting them to name-drop me, isn't what I would hope-for. But receiving some level of credit would be nice, but I guess I've learned that's not how the hype-machine works. At least in my present activities.

Warpaint very much the same, save for the fact my time is a little shorter only going back to March of 2009, and really not until around the time of that School of Seven Bells show in October 2009. But still, I told a lot of people, posted on many forums and blogs about them long before they even were known at Pitchfork, and received very little credit.

The dj's at Radio K though, specifically Kayleigh and Kari would know. I told them about Warpaint and Local Natives before Pitchfork hijacked who and how they got fed to their public.

I hope within 5 years, Pitchfork is where Myspace is now, if not worse. It's the most despicable website for music, and it's brainwashed far too many music fans into becoming Hipsters. Hipfork.

I guess I can learn that having your favorite band get swallowed up by that evil community, while it gets them success and money, really, ultimately is not necessarily for the better. As sad as it is, I almost would rather a band breakup than find themselves fall into their trap. But perhaps the day Hipsters become Un-Hipsters or irrelevant as they should be, the idea of getting grabbed onto by a large group may not be so bad. As long as people like myself have a chance to steer their narrow-taste away from the wrong places, then those artists will have a fighting chance to avoid being ruined. But, that of course remains to be seen for now.

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
  • Bouncing around the room
« Reply #44 on: January 04, 2011, 11:45:25 AM »
I can't believe Frames was only number 4 on that list, it's my favorite album ever made.   :|

Online SoundscapeMN

« Reply #45 on: January 04, 2011, 12:41:44 PM »
it's a good album, but I probably wouldn't even put it as their best record. However, had it come out this year, it likely would have been #2 on my list.

Offline LCArenas

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #46 on: January 04, 2011, 01:54:07 PM »
1. Anathema - We're Here Because We're Here
2. Haken - Aquarius
3. Alter Bridge - AB III
4. Soilwork - The Panic Broadcast
5. Dark Tranquillity - We Are the Void
6. Annihilator - Annihilator
7. James LaBrie - Static Impulse
8. Fear Factory - Mechanize
9. Sodom - In War and Pieces
10. Cataract - Killing the Eternal

Offline Gorille85

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #47 on: January 04, 2011, 03:36:07 PM »
Still need to think about it a bit.

Offline Dr. DTVT

• DTF's resident Mad Scientist
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • What's your favorite planet? Mine's the Sun!
« Reply #48 on: January 05, 2011, 01:39:23 PM »
Well, as it stands today this is where I'm at.  I haven't fully digested Agalloch yet, but the guitar riff (this one: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ftxAHeAZds0&feature=related) in "Into the Painted Grey" is worth the price of admission itself.

1. Agalloch - Marrow of the Spirit
2. Spock's Beard - X
3. Intronaut - Valley of Smoke
4. Therion - Sitra Ahra
5. Orphaned Land - The Neverending Way of ORWarriOR
6. Tetrafusion - Altered State
7. Pain of Salvation - Road Salt One
8. James LaBrie - Static Impulse
9. Wuthering Heights - Salt
10. Vonassi - The Battle of Ego

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #49 on: January 05, 2011, 01:58:18 PM »
Promise and Terror number 1!  I liked it, but it didn't get repeated listens from me.  I prefer TMWWND.  I might have to give it a couple more listens though.
The last 4 songs that basically run together regarding the death of his wife are amazing.

And yes TAC, I finally listened to Kiske/Somerville, and what an amazing album it is.  Magnus Karlsson has done it again, just great songs all the way through, much better than I expected.

Oh yeah, I'm very happy with it. Silence is one of my Top 5 tracks of the year. Real nice performance here by Michael Kiske.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #50 on: January 05, 2011, 02:03:30 PM »
Promise and Terror number 1!  I liked it, but it didn't get repeated listens from me.  I prefer TMWWND.  I might have to give it a couple more listens though.
The last 4 songs that basically run together regarding the death of his wife are amazing.

And yes TAC, I finally listened to Kiske/Somerville, and what an amazing album it is.  Magnus Karlsson has done it again, just great songs all the way through, much better than I expected.

Oh yeah, I'm very happy with it. Silence is one of my Top 5 tracks of the year. Real nice performance here by Michael Kiske.

Those last 4 were easlily the highlight of the album. The kill, fuck, fight part of...Letting Go of the World I think it is, for some reason just came across so powerful to me.  I will listen to this album again.

Yeah, Silence took a few listens to grow on me, but now I really enjoy it.  My favs on the album are; Nothing Left to Say, Silence, Arise, Don't Walk Away, Devil In Her Heart, Rain and Second Chance.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #51 on: January 05, 2011, 02:22:22 PM »

Those last 4 were easlily the highlight of the album. The kill, fuck, fight part of...Letting Go of the World I think it is, for some reason just came across so powerful to me.  I will listen to this album again.

Yeah, Silence took a few listens to grow on me, but now I really enjoy it.  My favs on the album are; Nothing Left to Say, Silence, Arise, Don't Walk Away, Devil In Her Heart, Rain and Second Chance.

I can actually do without the Kill Fuck part..but The Trace Of Things That Have No Name is amzing and very moving.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline bodiesinflight

• I prefer drone
« Reply #52 on: January 05, 2011, 03:04:29 PM »
1. The National - High Violet
2. The Xcerts - Scatterbrain
3. Devil Sold His Soul - Blessed & Cursed
4. Oceansize - Self Preserved While The Bodies Float Up
5. Crippled Black Phoenix - I, Vigilante
6. Swans - My Father Will Guide Me Up A Rope To The Sky
7. Deftones - Diamond Eyes
8. The Tallest Man On Earth - The Wild Hunt
9. Anathema - We're Here Because We're Here
10. The Dillinger Escape Plan - Option Paralysis

My top 100 of the year are up here:
https://benfyffereviews.blogspot.com/2011/01/top-100-albums-of-2010.html
Drowned in Sound
Echoes & Dust
Stereoboard

Offline bodiesinflight

• I prefer drone
« Reply #53 on: January 05, 2011, 03:05:54 PM »
I can't believe Frames was only number 4 on that list, it's my favorite album ever made.   :|

A couple of months ago you were all "I'm not sure if I like Oceansize" and now they seem to be your favourite band, welcome to the Oceansize are the best band on the planet club!
Drowned in Sound
Echoes & Dust
Stereoboard

Offline ClairvoyantCat

• DT is no longer Majesty.
« Reply #54 on: January 05, 2011, 03:14:31 PM »
But Frames is not their best album.  That title belongs to Effloresce!

Offline Phantasmatron

• Peanut Butter Advocate and Jelly Enthusiast
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • What the Jenkins?!
« Reply #55 on: January 05, 2011, 03:26:13 PM »
I only got 10 new albums this year, and one of them was really an EP, so I only have a top 9.  Or bottom 9, depending on how you look at it.

1.  Linkin Park - A Thousand Suns
2.  Lunatic Soul - Lunatic Soul II
3.  Alter Bridge - AB III
4.  Pain of Salvation - Road Salt One
5.  James LaBrie - Static Impulse
6.  The Classic Crime - Vagabonds
7.  Firewind - Days of Defiance
8.  Vanden Plas - The Seraphic Clockwork
9.  Agalloch - Marrow of the Spirit

All in all, a pretty disappointing year for me.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #56 on: January 05, 2011, 03:41:16 PM »
1. Vampire Weekend - Contra
2. Joanna Newsom - Have One On Me
3. Gregory & the Hawk - Leche
4. Pain of Salvation - Road Salt One
5. Jónsi - Go
6. Kaki King - Junior
7. Coheed and Cambria - Year of the Black Rainbow
8. Julie Christmas - The Bad Wife
10. Sadnes - Fill My Head

Do you even like music?
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline skydivingninja

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #57 on: January 05, 2011, 03:51:39 PM »
You're such a cool guy, Bosk.

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
  • Bouncing around the room
« Reply #58 on: January 05, 2011, 03:52:25 PM »
But Frames is not their best album.  That title belongs to Effloresce!

My rankings change all the time, because they have made 4 outstanding albums, better then the average quality any other band has.
Right now i would rank them:
1. Frames
2. Everyone into Position
3. Effloresce
4. Self Preserved (unlike many others, i do think this album is mindblowing, and just AS good as the others)

But whenever i hear any of the other albums, i feel like "this album might be higher", because it's damn hard to rank them.
Frames is my favorite because all songs are fantastic, meanwhile EiP for example has "New Pin" (which i think is really good), but not AS good as the rest, dragging the overall down a bit.
Effloresce is amazing as well btw.  :tup

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #59 on: January 05, 2011, 03:54:14 PM »
5. Jónsi - Go
6. Kaki King - Junior

Do you even like music?

:lol
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline sonatafanica

• cocksucking maniac
  • DTF.org Member
  • ☠☠☠☠☠☠jesus take the wheel☠☠☠☠☠☠
« Reply #60 on: January 05, 2011, 04:04:03 PM »
5. Jónsi - Go
6. Kaki King - Junior

Do you even like music?

Bosk1: DTF's biggest troll since 2007

Offline Portrucci

• Fission Mailed
  • You're just another hero riding through the night
« Reply #61 on: January 05, 2011, 04:29:23 PM »
hooray another fan of CBP  :tup I, Vigilante is definitely one of the best albums of the year. Very evocative like you said in your summary

also, no Agalloch in your top 100?  :eek
on par with the anguish one would have from getting unconsensually bent over and buttloved.

Offline bodiesinflight

• I prefer drone
« Reply #62 on: January 05, 2011, 04:32:11 PM »
hooray another fan of CBP  :tup I, Vigilante is definitely one of the best albums of the year. Very evocative like you said in your summary

Haven't heard the new Agalloch record yet so can't comment on it.
Have you seen CBP live? Pretty amazing.
Drowned in Sound
Echoes & Dust
Stereoboard

Offline Portrucci

• Fission Mailed
  • You're just another hero riding through the night
« Reply #63 on: January 05, 2011, 04:36:49 PM »

Haven't heard the new Agalloch record yet so can't comment on it.
Have you seen CBP live? Pretty amazing.
Don't tease me like that  :lol You live in the UK....I live in Australia...so no I haven't seen them live yet  :( But I have heard they put on a great show, so if they ever came down under I'd be in the front row.  ;)
on par with the anguish one would have from getting unconsensually bent over and buttloved.

Offline glaurung

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #64 on: January 05, 2011, 07:09:23 PM »
Probably a stretch, but do OSTs count?

Glaurung put up an OST, so BREAK ALL THE RULES

Shit, you're right. I guess I'll take that off the list.
Cole: "Ow I just got hit in the balls"
Me: "How?"
Cole: "Well you know when you try to scratch your balls, and you scratch too hard?
I'll admit sometimes I want to listen to Dragonforce.

Offline orcus116

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #65 on: January 05, 2011, 07:10:41 PM »
At this rate next year's list will be genre restricted too.

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #66 on: January 05, 2011, 07:39:45 PM »
At this rate next year's list will be genre restricted too.

Yes, because one would expect after having the same rules for at least the fourth year in a row there would be some sort of magical shift that would cause this to happen.

Offline orcus116

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #67 on: January 05, 2011, 07:41:15 PM »
Because there's never been a logical reason to bypass OST and EPs, even if they are clearly new music from that year.

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #68 on: January 05, 2011, 07:48:34 PM »
So your theory is that because you do not agree with a particular rule, even though that rule has been in place for four years this will someone cause the creation of a new, completely unrelated rule?

Excuse me if I don't follow the logic here.

Offline orcus116

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #69 on: January 05, 2011, 07:53:51 PM »
T...time for change?  :-\