Should it legal?

Yes
37 (74%)
No
12 (24%)
I need to think about it
1 (2%)

Total Members Voted: 49

Author Topic: Assisted Suicide  (Read 13337 times)

Offline The Texas Pirate!

• RIP VG
  • DT.net Veteran
  • Bow down before me
Re: Assisted Suicide
« Reply #70 on: January 16, 2011, 10:15:48 AM »
10. if ya dont like it move to Texas and commit a crime punishable with the death penalty.

Petty theft counts, right?
Depends on what judge ya piss off.
My new Phone number

1-956-TTP-0028

Offline 73109

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #71 on: January 16, 2011, 10:46:43 AM »
6. if you cant do any of the above you are either incompitant, a coward, or a quadrapaligic.

Of course many of these people are fucking incompetent!!! Many of them have no use of their fucking limbs!!!

8. wah wah wah it hurts. suffer though life like the rest of us. whine some more.

Go live with ALS and tell me you would not like to fucking end it all. You have no idea what pain is.

Does this guy look like his life is just a fucking breeze?:

Does it look like he can jump off a cliff, or slit his throat, or hang himself, or pull a trigger?

Honestly, dude, before you come into a thread posting your opinions, and I accept that they are your opinions, at least know a little about the fucking subject before you start posting things like "They should man the fuck up or just off themselves."

Offline sonatafanica

• cocksucking maniac
  • DTF.org Member
  • ☠☠☠☠☠☠jesus take the wheel☠☠☠☠☠☠
« Reply #72 on: January 16, 2011, 10:50:41 AM »
umad.jpg

• RIP VG
  • DT.net Veteran
  • Bow down before me
« Reply #73 on: January 16, 2011, 12:12:26 PM »
Oh, Im so terribly sorry, you dont like my opinion, let me change it to coincide with your opinion.
Bite me. If ya dont like it, oh fuckin well, its mine, i aint forcin it down no ones throat.  Wah Wah Wah  :mehlin

Why dont you ask that waste of electricity if he feels pain, or wants to die. Oh wait he cant even breathe by himself, hey why dont you just starve him to death like that peice of dog excrament did his wife that was also a bed ridden burden on society.

I have oppinions and alot of them aint pretty, or politicly correct, hell some are damn right immorral. And if you think, for one second Im gona chage any one of them fer you or anyone else. LOL you got life fucked up kid.

6. if you cant do any of the above you are either incompitant, a coward, or a quadrapaligic.

Of course many of these people are fucking incompetent!!! Many of them have no use of their fucking limbs!!!

8. wah wah wah it hurts. suffer though life like the rest of us. whine some more.

Go live with ALS and tell me you would not like to fucking end it all. You have no idea what pain is.

Does this guy look like his life is just a fucking breeze?:

Does it look like he can jump off a cliff, or slit his throat, or hang himself, or pull a trigger?

Honestly, dude, before you come into a thread posting your opinions, and I accept that they are your opinions, at least know a little about the fucking subject before you start posting things like "They should man the fuck up or just off themselves."
hey ALS dont just strike ya paralized from one minute to the next if the fucker wanted to die he shoulda, coulda, woulda, but didnt. He wanted to live, hopeing against hope for a cure to be found.
My new Phone number

1-956-TTP-0028

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #74 on: January 16, 2011, 12:16:15 PM »
So are you (TTP) suggesting that suicide is alright if you do it yourself?
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

• RIP VG
  • DT.net Veteran
  • Bow down before me
« Reply #75 on: January 16, 2011, 12:38:56 PM »
So are you (TTP) suggesting that suicide is alright if you do it yourself?
No, by all means no. It is my religious conviction, that you will go straight to HELL if you kill yourself, and there is no way to be forgiven for that sin of murder, for if I kill some one and i feel bad and then repent and ask god to forgive me he will, but if I die unrepentent, I go to hell. how can one murder ones self and then repent before you die, it cant be done. because you want to die, you are unrepentent.

why drag a third party into it ie the doctor, who will feel all is good and leagal, because its a mercy killin' so when he dies unrepentent for the "mercy" kills, goes to hell. all im sayin is if ya wana go to hell dont take anyone wit ya.

those are my belifes and oppinions like em or not that where I stand.

:yarr
My new Phone number

1-956-TTP-0028

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #76 on: January 16, 2011, 01:51:13 PM »
So what about the jumpers on September 11?  These people made the [seriously fucked up] decision that meeting the concrete at 55m/s was preferable to waiting around to face Alla's fiery wrath.  Do they go to hell for not waiting to be burned alive, per God's wishes?
« Last Edit: January 16, 2011, 01:58:40 PM by El Barto »
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #77 on: January 16, 2011, 02:09:23 PM »
So what about the jumpers on September 11?  These people made the [seriously fucked up] decision that meeting the concrete at 55m/s was preferable to waiting around to face Alla's fiery wrath.  Do they go to hell for not waiting to be burned alive, per God's wishes?

I'm not sure what catholics think about it, but speaking for most Jews, it was fine. Comparable almost to the fighters at Matzadah who rather took their own lives than be captured by the romans.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

• RIP VG
  • DT.net Veteran
  • Bow down before me
« Reply #78 on: January 16, 2011, 02:29:25 PM »

That's a good example, burn alive for a few minutes of excruciating pain, or die in seconds as you slam into the concrete and asphalt.
burn in hell with Satan forever, or, be in paradise forever in the glory of God.
My new Phone number

1-956-TTP-0028

Offline Bombardana

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #79 on: January 16, 2011, 02:32:30 PM »
I voted Yes. If there are people (relatives, doctors, whoever.) willing to do it for the person who asks them to do it, then that's absolutely fine to me. It also gives people more quality of life when they are stuck in a situation wanting to die (ironic as that may sound). They aren't worrying about how long to suffer, or if they will be able to even end it, because they know the option is there and they aren't stuck without any solution.

:yarr

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #80 on: January 16, 2011, 02:47:01 PM »

That's a good example, burn alive for a few minutes of excruciating pain, or die in seconds as you slam into the concrete and asphalt.
burn in hell with Satan forever, or, be in paradise forever in the glory of God.
Now ya see, that's a fine example of why I have no use for the Christian God.  A loving God that's deserving of worship would have sent the angels to shove your ass out the window.  "DUDE, the buildings on fire!  Don't be an idiot!  GTF out!"

So what about the jumpers on September 11?  These people made the [seriously fucked up] decision that meeting the concrete at 55m/s was preferable to waiting around to face Alla's fiery wrath.  Do they go to hell for not waiting to be burned alive, per God's wishes?

I'm not sure what catholics think about it, but speaking for most Jews, it was fine. Comparable almost to the fighters at Matzadah who rather took their own lives than be captured by the romans.
I suppose the Catholics would only approve if you managed to land on a heretic and take him out with you.  Martyrdom is groovy--suicide is a mortal sin.
E.F. Benson

Offline emindead

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #81 on: January 16, 2011, 03:15:08 PM »
So what about the jumpers on September 11?  These people made the [seriously fucked up] decision that meeting the concrete at 55m/s was preferable to waiting around to face Alla's fiery wrath.  Do they go to hell for not waiting to be burned alive, per God's wishes?
I think that the panic they were into made them jump, I don't see that as a sin. Not even a sin if they chose to jump and smash themselves down instead of taking the burning pain LIKE A BOSS, like TTP suggests.

Offline Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #82 on: January 16, 2011, 03:16:23 PM »

I think that the panic they were into made them jump, I don't see that as a sin. Not even a sin if they chose to jump and smash themselves down instead of taking the burning pain LIKE A BOSS, like TTP suggests.

So you're ok with it. Too bad you're not catholic like TTP.
« Last Edit: January 16, 2011, 04:23:56 PM by Adami »
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline Voyage 34

« Reply #83 on: January 16, 2011, 04:21:07 PM »
Absolutely assisted suicide should be legal. If I were suffering of terminal cancer and only had three months of agony to look forward to, there's no way I wouldn't want to off myself.
"Thank you god...for making me an atheist."
                                                --Ricky Gervais

• RIP VG
  • DT.net Veteran
  • Bow down before me
« Reply #84 on: January 16, 2011, 09:35:13 PM »

I'm sure there are exceptions to the rule. I dont realy know, and I'm not real good with rules, I, tend to use rules not as absolute trail boarders, but more like radio beacons, where close sorta counts.

And seriously  I would probly die screaming like a little bitch jumping out a window on fire with a trail of smoke and flames following me to the sidewalk below, probly cursing every incarnation of gods, goddess,  and devils on the way down.

I can talk a mean streak ..... but..... c'mon I'm only a man, well ok I am Texan, but still only a man.
My new Phone number

1-956-TTP-0028

Offline emindead

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #85 on: January 17, 2011, 09:30:46 AM »
So you're ok with it. Too bad you're not catholic like TTP.
Too bad TTP quoted you first! :lol

Offline XJDenton

• What a shame
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #86 on: January 17, 2011, 09:43:59 AM »
It's a mystery why suicide is illegal. Unenforceable laws always seem to have significantly negative effects.

I wonder what the potential punishment would be.

The punishment for attempted suicide back in the day was hanging.

In any case, I think it should be legal, but ONLY as a last resort, and with a crapload of study done to ensure the current state of body/mind is a permanent affair. Being depressed for a bit doesn't cut it.
"For a successful technology, reality must take precedence over public relations, for nature cannot be fooled." - Richard Feynman

Offline j

« Reply #87 on: January 17, 2011, 10:31:59 AM »
but ONLY as a last resort, and with a crapload of study done to ensure the current state of body/mind is a permanent affair. Being depressed for a bit doesn't cut it.

This is where it gets muddy for me.  In whose hands is the responsibility placed of making that determination?  The family?  The doctor?  No one actually knows what that individual is going through, physically and mentally.  Even if a person is asking you to pull the plug, how can anyone know for certain that they are actually fully competent and knowledgeable of what they're asking, especially considering our vague understanding of the neurological processes involved?  Those are some big, wild judgment calls for somebody to make.

And consider that under normal circumstances, suicide is medically considered a form of mental illness.  Take an angsty teenager who thinks his life sucks and wants to blow his brains out, but can't get up the chutzpah to do it himself.  Would you do the deed if asked?  If not, why?  Because it's illegal (and SHOULD it be?)?  Because he's too young?  Because YOU deem that his life is still worth living, and that he's just not thinking straight?

Not only that, but we sit comfortably on the couch, healthy and presumably with decades left to live, and say "oh man if I were a quadriplegic I'd TOTALLY off myself", but that's completely naive.  It's easy to say, but when you've got some perspective, I suspect you'd see things differently, maybe even come to appreciate and be thankful for what you have left.  Maybe not; I'd like to see some statistics on this (people who ask their docs to pull the plug).

Personally, I hardly think suicide should be illegal, although I think help ought to be recommended (if not mandated) to those who try and fail.  But even though I agree that *assisted* suicide is probably occasionally called for, bringing another party into the equation is another matter altogether, and not nearly as simple as some of you are trying to make it out to be.

-J

Offline Voyage 34

« Reply #88 on: January 17, 2011, 01:00:30 PM »
It's a mystery why suicide is illegal. Unenforceable laws always seem to have significantly negative effects.

I wonder what the potential punishment would be.

The punishment for attempted suicide back in the day was hanging.

Thats the dumbest thing. They want to die, so to punish them for trying you give them what they want.
"Thank you god...for making me an atheist."
                                                --Ricky Gervais

Offline Dublagent66

• Devouring consciousness...
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ...Digesting power
« Reply #89 on: January 27, 2011, 08:14:36 AM »
What do you guys think?

I think "assisted suicide" is a contradiction in terms.  If someone helps you, then it's not suicide.
"Two things are infinite; the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." -Albert Einstein
"There's not a pill you can take.  There's not a class you can go to.  Stupid is foreva."  -Ron White

Offline Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
« Reply #90 on: January 27, 2011, 09:55:15 AM »
It is my oppinion that assisted suicide is wrong.
my reasons are quite simple.

1. if you cant find a rope to hang yourself, ya aint trying hard enough.
2. if ya cant slit your own jugulars with a knife, you aint trying hard enough.
3. if you cant put a gun to your own head and pull the trigger, ya aint trying hard enough.
4. if ya cant fall out a window to your death, ya aint trying hard enough.
5. if you cannot find a toxic chemical to swallow, ya aint trying hard enough.
7. if you hang, stab, shoot, poison, or push someone out a window to their death, you will be charged with MURDER, not assisted suicide.
9. its against my religious beleifes (sp?)
10. if ya dont like it move to Texas and commit a crime punishable with the death penalty.

None of those say why assisted suicide is wrong, with the exception of religion (maybe). All you did was list reasons why you shouldn't need someone to help you. This is one of the worst posts I've seen on these boards. I understand your position on this topic, but the truth is that there are people that just don't want to be here anymore. Just because someone is afraid to kill themselves doesn't mean they don't wake up every morning wishing for death. Maybe people don't trying hanging themselves or slitting their wrists because they might not do it right. So now instead of being dead, their whole family knows they tried killing themselves and will most likely spend years in an institution. Sure it's easy to put a gun to your head, but the thought of your children finding you on the floor and your brains on the wall is not good. I wouldn't want that to be the last thing going through my head (don't make a bullet joke). And not everyone who would want assisted suicide is a whining little pussy. Had I woken up in the hospital after my fall only to find out that I was paralyzed from the neck down, I'd probably want to call it quits too. All I can say about that post is that reading it disgust me. I have known several suicidal people, two of whom ended up killing themselves. You have no clue what goes on in other people's heads, and to make assumptions like that is just being a dick.

if I kill some one and i feel bad and then repent and ask god to forgive me he will, but if I die unrepentent, I go to hell.

So by your logic, I can go into a preschool. Tie up all the teachers. Rape every single kid. Slit all their throats. Rape their bodies in front of the tied up teachers. But as long as I am sorry I will go to heaven. However, if life isn't working for me and I take my own life I go to hell?
« Last Edit: January 27, 2011, 11:43:28 AM by Chino »

Offline Ultimetalhead

• The Mighty Masturbator
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • .ay rof dab s'ti dna...
« Reply #91 on: January 28, 2011, 06:07:29 AM »
7. if you hang, stab, shoot, poison, or push someone out a window to their death, you will be charged with MURDER, not assisted suicide.
So, by this logic, if I decide to go to a doctor and tell him I want to die, he'll be charged with murder. Since he murdered me, I'll be home free in heaven, kickin' it with God. But, if I decide to jump out of a window, I'm in deep shit?
Orion....that's the one with a bunch of power chords and boringly harsh vocals, isn't it?
LOOK AT THIS AWESOME SHIT AHHHHHH

Offline Dublagent66

• Devouring consciousness...
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ...Digesting power
« Reply #92 on: January 28, 2011, 07:21:59 AM »
"The bible tells us that suicide is the greatest sin a man or woman can commit.  By killing her, I took her physical life but I saved her life eternal!  Do you see how all things serve the will and the mind of God?  Do you see, you meddling little shit!!!"

- Reverend Lowe Stephen King's Silver Bullet
"Two things are infinite; the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." -Albert Einstein
"There's not a pill you can take.  There's not a class you can go to.  Stupid is foreva."  -Ron White

Offline Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #93 on: January 30, 2011, 06:02:34 AM »
It is my oppinion that assisted suicide is wrong.
my reasons are quite simple.

1. if you cant find a rope to hang yourself, ya aint trying hard enough.
2. if ya cant slit your own jugulars with a knife, you aint trying hard enough.
3. if you cant put a gun to your own head and pull the trigger, ya aint trying hard enough.
4. if ya cant fall out a window to your death, ya aint trying hard enough.
5. if you cannot find a toxic chemical to swallow, ya aint trying hard enough.
9. its against my religious beleifes (sp?)

None of those say why assisted suicide is wrong, with the exception of religion (maybe). All you did was list reasons why you shouldn't need someone to help you. This is one of the worst posts I've seen on these boards. I understand your position on this topic, but the truth is that there are people that just don't want to be here anymore. Just because someone is afraid to kill themselves doesn't mean they don't wake up every morning wishing for death. Maybe people don't trying hanging themselves or slitting their wrists because they might not do it right. So now instead of being dead, their whole family knows they tried killing themselves and will most likely spend years in an institution. Sure it's easy to put a gun to your head, but the thought of your children finding you on the floor and your brains on the wall is not good. I wouldn't want that to be the last thing going through my head (don't make a bullet joke). And not everyone who would want assisted suicide is a whining little pussy. Had I woken up in the hospital after my fall only to find out that I was paralyzed from the neck down, I'd probably want to call it quits too. All I can say about that post is that reading it disgust me. I have known several suicidal people, two of whom ended up killing themselves. You have no clue what goes on in other people's heads, and to make assumptions like that is just being a dick.

if I kill some one and i feel bad and then repent and ask god to forgive me he will, but if I die unrepentent, I go to hell.

So by your logic, I can go into a preschool. Tie up all the teachers. Rape every single kid. Slit all their throats. Rape their bodies in front of the tied up teachers. But as long as I am sorry I will go to heaven. However, if life isn't working for me and I take my own life I go to hell?

Please respond. I am looking forward to this.

Offline Progmetty

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #94 on: January 30, 2011, 12:21:38 PM »
Youthanasia has always been an issue that I have had issues with. I kinda feel like one should be able to take their life if they want to, and government efforts to ban suicide sites etc is just plain stupid - I am still enraged everytime I hear of a suicide because that's the most pathetic move any1 can make.

It's Euthanasia man, Youthanasia is a Mustaine invention.
I wouldn't want somebody with 18 kids to mow my damn lawn, based on a longstanding bias I have against crazy fucks.

Offline 73109

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #95 on: January 30, 2011, 01:11:37 PM »
:lol

Offline 7thHanyou

« Reply #96 on: January 30, 2011, 02:37:23 PM »
I actually believe suicide is wrong, but I'm all for making it legal.  Forcing people to endure severe pain against their will is just cruel.

Though I wouldn't mind the existence of some kind of "binding contract" which would allow a patient to insure themselves against FUTURE assisted suicide.  A strange concept, but it can keep someone from killing themselves in desperation and I think it will alleviate concerns about religious beliefs, etc.  Don't like the idea of suicide? Fine, make that contract with your future self.

Offline Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #97 on: January 30, 2011, 02:46:41 PM »
Thats an awesome idea.

Offline 73109

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #98 on: January 30, 2011, 07:43:59 PM »
But what if your views change from when you were younger?

Offline Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #99 on: January 30, 2011, 07:54:18 PM »
That's covered in the waver...

Offline 73109

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #100 on: January 30, 2011, 07:58:39 PM »
Nah, I don't see that working. It is a good idea but I don't see it working as a whole.

Offline 7thHanyou

« Reply #101 on: January 31, 2011, 01:09:45 PM »
Mind you, I think having surrogates decide is a better idea.  I would place more trust in my wife than in my own past self.  But the contract idea would defuse a lot of arguments.

Offline Quadrochosis

• DTF.org Alumni
  • We Are Not Alone
« Reply #102 on: January 31, 2011, 01:46:30 PM »
I'm not really sure how suicide is actually cowardly in any way. Can someone explain this? The ancients used to regard suicide as something honorable, and their explanation for it seems to be more firmly grounded in logic and reason than the typical, flimsy argument that Christians (or at least though arguing in the Christian mindset on the manner, whether or not they actually know it) give.

Seriously though, there's a ton of cultures out there that see suicide as something quite honorable, why is everyone here so insistent that it is a cowardly act? In my opinion, it really takes a big pair of balls to stand in front of an oncoming train, or to jump out of a 100 story window to the pavement below.
space cadet, pull out.
The only thing I enjoy more than Frengers is pleasing myself anally via the prostate.
"From my butt, I can see your house..."

Offline Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #103 on: January 31, 2011, 01:50:38 PM »
I'm not really sure how suicide is actually cowardly in any way. Can someone explain this? The ancients used to regard suicide as something honorable, and their explanation for it seems to be more firmly grounded in logic and reason than the typical, flimsy argument that Christians (or at least though arguing in the Christian mindset on the manner, whether or not they actually know it) give.

Seriously though, there's a ton of cultures out there that see suicide as something quite honorable, why is everyone here so insistent that it is a cowardly act? In my opinion, it really takes a big pair of balls to stand in front of an oncoming train, or to jump out of a 100 story window to the pavement below.

True, but the times it is considered honorable, it is usually associated with a heroic act. Like the Japanese considered slamming your plane into the hull of a ship as honorable. You killed yourself, but potentially could have saved many. Shoe bombers, same deal. Although they are dying, it is for the greater good. Someone that just depresses themselves to the point of suicide, isn't commiting suicide for any reason other than themselves.

Offline Quadrochosis

• DTF.org Alumni
  • We Are Not Alone
« Reply #104 on: January 31, 2011, 01:59:02 PM »

True, but the times it is considered honorable, it is usually associated with a heroic act. Like the Japanese considered slamming your plane into the hull of a ship as honorable. You killed yourself, but potentially could have saved many. Shoe bombers, same deal. Although they are dying, it is for the greater good. Someone that just depresses themselves to the point of suicide, isn't commiting suicide for any reason other than themselves.

Alright, but you still haven't explained how it's cowardly. Just how it isn't always honorable (a point that I concede to you to be true).
space cadet, pull out.
The only thing I enjoy more than Frengers is pleasing myself anally via the prostate.
"From my butt, I can see your house..."