Should it legal?

Yes
37 (74%)
No
12 (24%)
I need to think about it
1 (2%)

Total Members Voted: 49

Author Topic: Assisted Suicide  (Read 13333 times)

Offline Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
Re: Assisted Suicide
« Reply #105 on: January 31, 2011, 01:59:53 PM »
I'm not really sure how suicide is actually cowardly in any way. Can someone explain this? The ancients used to regard suicide as something honorable, and their explanation for it seems to be more firmly grounded in logic and reason than the typical, flimsy argument that Christians (or at least though arguing in the Christian mindset on the manner, whether or not they actually know it) give.

Seriously though, there's a ton of cultures out there that see suicide as something quite honorable, why is everyone here so insistent that it is a cowardly act? In my opinion, it really takes a big pair of balls to stand in front of an oncoming train, or to jump out of a 100 story window to the pavement below.

True, but the times it is considered honorable, it is usually associated with a heroic act. Like the Japanese considered slamming your plane into the hull of a ship as honorable. You killed yourself, but potentially could have saved many. Shoe bombers, same deal. Although they are dying, it is for the greater good. Someone that just depresses themselves to the point of suicide, isn't commiting suicide for any reason other than themselves.

Alright, but you still haven't explained how it's cowardly. Just how it isn't always honorable (a point that I concede to you to be true).

I don't think it is cowardly at all.

Offline Quadrochosis

• DTF.org Alumni
  • We Are Not Alone
« Reply #106 on: January 31, 2011, 02:04:13 PM »
I'm not really sure how suicide is actually cowardly in any way. Can someone explain this? The ancients used to regard suicide as something honorable, and their explanation for it seems to be more firmly grounded in logic and reason than the typical, flimsy argument that Christians (or at least though arguing in the Christian mindset on the manner, whether or not they actually know it) give.

Seriously though, there's a ton of cultures out there that see suicide as something quite honorable, why is everyone here so insistent that it is a cowardly act? In my opinion, it really takes a big pair of balls to stand in front of an oncoming train, or to jump out of a 100 story window to the pavement below.

True, but the times it is considered honorable, it is usually associated with a heroic act. Like the Japanese considered slamming your plane into the hull of a ship as honorable. You killed yourself, but potentially could have saved many. Shoe bombers, same deal. Although they are dying, it is for the greater good. Someone that just depresses themselves to the point of suicide, isn't commiting suicide for any reason other than themselves.

Alright, but you still haven't explained how it's cowardly. Just how it isn't always honorable (a point that I concede to you to be true).

I don't think it is cowardly at all.

Oh, okay.
space cadet, pull out.
The only thing I enjoy more than Frengers is pleasing myself anally via the prostate.
"From my butt, I can see your house..."

Offline 7thHanyou

« Reply #107 on: January 31, 2011, 03:02:49 PM »

In our society, committing suicide is generally viewed as running away from something.  I would tend to agree in many cases.  Having struggled with suicidal thoughts in the past myself, I can tell you that the source of temptation for some is selfish, a way to ease the pain when life itself is simply too hard to face.  Those who would rather commit suicide than do the work necessary to improve their lives may not necessarily be cowardly, but they are showing signs of weakness.

Furthermore, if they have a family to support and take care of, again, it might not be cowardly, but it is highly dishonorable.

This doesn't really apply to medical situations, which is usually what physician-assisted suicide questions concern.