General > General Music Discussion

Death Metal esque bands?

(1/2) > >>

Bonham:
I've listened to plenty of DM songs on recommendations from other people, and I love the heaviness inherent in the genre. However, I just can't get into any of the bands I've listened to so far... Don't get me wrong, I love those :metal kind of songs just as much as anyone else, but (and I don't mean to insult anyone's tastes or styles) I just grimace whenever the vocals come in. I'm sure they work for plenty of people, but I simply can't listen to death metal much past where the screams and guttural vocals enter; it just clashes with my tastes and doesn't add anything to the music (for me).

I was just wondering, are there any bands you could direct me to that employ death metals harsh, heavy tones, speed, and incredible rhythm (for example, that really badass part of Gojira's "Remembrance" where the screaming stops and there's a fucking heavy breakdown before the end) but without the guttural vocals?

MetalManiac666:
Strapping Young Lad, though Devy does use screams and such.  None of those death metal growls you're talking about though - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LeG-6bpeUkA

skydivingninja:
The way I learned to love growls was to find a band that had interesting enough music (in my case, Opeth), and listen to them for the music.  Eventually, the growls begin to grow on you, and you don't mind so much.  Then you start to love them, and then you're growling "Heir Apparent" in the shower while everyone else is singing "Walkin' on Sunshine."

The reason why I'm giving you this advice is because what a lot of people who don't like growls but like the music understand is this: they are a complete package.  Imagine Strapping Young Lad's "Oh My Fucking God."  There is no other way for someone to sing that song and still make it sound good except in the gutteral, fast way they do it in the song.  The reason there aren't many bands that sing cleanly with fast, super-heavy music like that is because it simply doesn't fit 99% of the time.  I for one don't know of any bands that can do that.  Like MM666 said, Strapping comes closest with a few of their songs (Love, Far Beyond Metal, Almost Again, and Detox, for starters), but its just a matter of trying to adjust to growls, I think.  They don't turn me off like they used to, though if they're not done well (by my tastes, of course), then I can't really get into it.

MetalManiac666:
^ This man speaks the truth.

Though I will throw out Katatonia.  Their latest, Night is the New Day, only employs completely clean vocals, while still being pretty heavy.

The King in Crimson:
Well, you could try Gojira's latest, The Way of All Flesh. The vocals aren't death growls on it, but still harsh and it's a very good album too. :)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version