Author Topic: Really weird question that should probably not even be a thread right now...  (Read 4739 times)

Offline 73109

• DTF.org Member
Ok...weird thought I had while I was showering today and I figured I had to ask my stupid question to DTF.

If you are a musician and you are out on the street or you just played a gig and it is a meet and greet, or whatever. You are around a fan and you start talking and the fan starts talking about how much he/she loves your music and he/she says, "Oh yes! I love your music! You are by far my second favorite musician behind _______!"

How do you take that? Would you (or any random musician) appreciate the fan and understand that while he/she likes your music, they like something better, or would you think to yourself, "Fuck that! My music is the best! I create it and I should be number one! And even if I'm not, don't tell me I'm not!"

Weird thought...sorry about that.

Offline DarkEternalNight

• I take the "the" out of psychotherapist
  • GODDDD ISSSS DEAAADDDD
I'd appreciate it but I'd ask about who the favorite is and perhaps start up a conversation about that person.

Offline 73109

• DTF.org Member
I fixed my quote to really get what I was talking about. But your answer does make sense for my pre edited post.

Offline Gadough

• DTF.org Alumni
You would have to have a pretty massive ego to get offended at something like that.
Gadough isn't Hitler. He's much, much worse.

Offline sonatafanica

• cocksucking maniac
  • DTF.org Member
  • ☠☠☠☠☠☠jesus take the wheel☠☠☠☠☠☠
I would be flattered enough that someone enjoyed my music at all, let alone to be ranked so highly.

Online Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
I would be flattered enough that someone enjoyed my music at all, let alone to be ranked so highly.

I hate agreeing with you.

So I won't.

But I do. Damnit. What Sonata said.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline skydivingninja

• DTF.org Alumni
If I meet a famous person, and assuming their music is of great importance to me, I'll say something like "Man, you and Rush are my favorite bands, ever!," or "I loved your new album!," or "Born to Run is one of my favorite albums ever," or "Your music sucks now, but hey, we'll always have Quadrophenia!"  As a fan, I would be careful not to show ranking of their music, but to show that their music is resonating.  Lots of people would still take the "you're number 2" thing to be criticism, so omitting it completely might make their day better.

If I were a famous musician, I personally wouldn't mind, be flattered that people enjoy it, and plot to kill the number one bands.

Offline sonatafanica

• cocksucking maniac
  • DTF.org Member

So I won't.

What have you got against me?

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
You would have to have a pretty massive ego to get offended at something like that.
Absolutely this. If I was creating music that was someone's second favourite thing out of the huge amount of music that exists, I'd be pretty damn proud!

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Offline ZKX-2099

• The Drifting Drifter
Second to Dream Theater: Aw cool. Let me autograph your shafty.

Second to Kesha: Hey check out my body guards knuckles.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
I'd appreciate it but I'd ask about who the favorite is and perhaps start up a conversation about that person.
This, most likely.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline Dimitrius

• DT.net Member
  • Fuckin' magnets, how do they work?
Absolutely this. If I was creating music that was someone's second favourite thing out of the huge amount of music that exists, I'd be pretty damn proud!
Joe and I in the same squad is basically the virtual equivalent of us plowing a rape van through an elementary school playground at recess.

Online Adami

So I won't.

It's not in my control dude, it's in the legend. I'm just playing my part. Didn't the old man talk to you?
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline jsem

Hasn't ever happened to me... and I haven't performed my own material ever either... despite all my gigging I've had no meet and greets, and no authograph signings. I'd be happy with some1 wanting an autograph in the first place.

Even if I'm only a 2nd favorite, it means I'm appriciated - it means I mean something to them and that's good enough.

Offline MykeHavoc

• Send More Cops

Offline sonatafanica

• cocksucking maniac
  • DTF.org Member

So I won't.

It's not in my control dude, it's in the legend. I'm just playing my part. Didn't the old man talk to you?

All he said was to "climb the mountain". It's like, WHICH FUCKING MOUNTAIN, ASSHOLE? DO I JUST TRY THEM ALL? OH LOOK, A FUCKING BOAT. WONDERFUL.

Offline Birch Boy

• DTF's Heavy Metal Hippie
  • DTF.org Member

Offline ZBomber

• "The Analogy Guy"
  • A Farewell to Kings

So I won't.

All he said was to "climb the mountain". It's like, WHICH FUCKING MOUNTAIN, ASSHOLE? DO I JUST TRY THEM ALL? OH LOOK, A FUCKING BOAT. WONDERFUL.

I think the old man he was referring to was Professor Oak.

Yes, Adami is Gary.

Offline sonatafanica

• cocksucking maniac
  • DTF.org Member
Wait, don't I get to name him?

Online Adami

Why would you get to name me?

I'm going to name you. I'm going to give you a superhero name. A really REALLY manly superhero name.

Testicular Man.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline ZBomber

• "The Analogy Guy"
  • A Farewell to Kings

You don't own him sonata.

Because in the good ol' days, Jews thought that naming something meant you have ownership over it. And Adami is Jewish. So I was being creative.

But to answer Cole's question.... I could never dream of being someone's favorite artists, I'd be happy if someone ever even appreciated to some degree anything I've done.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
I mean, it's definitely a compliment, and no one should be offended by that.  But it also just seems a bit tacky to word it like that.  Much less so to say it more like, "you're one of my favorites." 
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline LieLowTheWantedMan

• DTF.org Member
Pretty much this. Being someones second favourite is a pretty decent accomplishment in itself.

Offline ClairvoyantCat

• DT is no longer Majesty.
In my opinion, this hypothetical person can either:

A. Admit that I'm the best

B. shut his/her whore mouth

Just kidding, I would be flattered.

Offline MetalManiac666

• DTF.org Member

Offline Jakartabassplayer

• John Cleese's evil step brother
  • "THEY just drop"
If the fan was female I wouldn't mind at all
Kipfilet is het borstdeel van de kip. Kenmerk van kipfilet is dat deze vetarm en lichtverteerbaar is.
I assume it's because you're awesome.
And JBP is yet again drunk  :lol

Offline jsem

If the fan was female I wouldn't mind at all
I've seen some pretty nasty looking females in my life... just sayin

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
Second to Dream Theater: Aw cool. Let me autograph your shafty.

Second to Kesha: Hey check out my body guards knuckles.

:lol Something like that.

I'm surprised no one else has said so, but to me it definitely depends on who that person thinks is first, before I get too excited about being second.  If I'm second to someone I consider an idol and influence, I'm honored to even be in their company let alone the next best thing.  If I'm second to someone I don't like or have never heard of or honestly think I'm better than, well we all have different tastes.