Author Topic: The Periphery Thread  (Read 199575 times)

Offline Cable

Re: The Periphery Thread
« Reply #1225 on: August 06, 2017, 06:31:14 PM »
As far as musically, I don't think it'll be that different. Misha, Mark, and Jake were always the main writers. I hope the production doesn't suffer though, but I don't think so.

I'm with this view. He came in as a producer for P2 I think, and then joined in that process? So I don't see a massive hit in the writing. And again, his bass parts didn't really do anything for me. I actually was not a fan of Juggernauts' final sound either.

Just speculating and stirring the pot; if anything though, I'm worried about Jake. He's the most tenured outside of Misha now, but his electronic parts were basically gone on P3. And the "big" interludes were done by Misha it seemed (Marigold & Absolomb). Even though P3 might be my favorite album, I really liked Jake's electronic stuff on P2. I'm not a fan of P1, but that also had electronic stuff which was a unique thing of the band for me over the first two albums. Just based on Clear, I'm probably the only person that liked Jake's track and writing more than Misha, Nolly's and Mark's.
---

Offline jakepriest

« Reply #1226 on: August 07, 2017, 07:21:47 AM »
Just based on Clear, I'm probably the only person that liked Jake's track and writing more than Misha, Nolly's and Mark's.

Instrumentally it's my favourite off Clear, but I can't stand Spencer's vocals on The Summer Jam, so I never listen to it anymore.
Overall Clear has some of the worst Spencer vocals imo.

Jake's electronic music is a jam. I still spin his solo album sometimes.
They posted some snippets of some electronic music they were working on with Misha, so that should be pretty good.

Offline goo-goo

« Reply #1227 on: August 07, 2017, 07:40:31 AM »
Just based on Clear, I'm probably the only person that liked Jake's track and writing more than Misha, Nolly's and Mark's.

Instrumentally it's my favourite off Clear, but I can't stand Spencer's vocals on The Summer Jam, so I never listen to it anymore.
Overall Clear has some of the worst Spencer vocals imo.

Jake's electronic music is a jam. I still spin his solo album sometimes.
They posted some snippets of some electronic music they were working on with Misha, so that should be pretty good.

Have they released the electronic music?

Offline jakepriest

« Reply #1228 on: August 07, 2017, 02:12:39 PM »
As far as I know not yet.

Offline goo-goo

« Reply #1229 on: March 12, 2018, 09:38:54 AM »
Well, I didn't like Periphery at all up until two days ago. I wasn't excited about the screams but for some reason, my mood this weekend kind of asked for something a bit on the aggressive side. I streamed Periphery's discography on Google Play and bam!! There's some great stuff going with this guys. I so regret not seeing them with AAL in San Antonio a few months ago  :facepalm:

Offline mikeyd23

« Reply #1230 on: March 12, 2018, 09:47:29 AM »
Well, I didn't like Periphery at all up until two days ago. I wasn't excited about the screams but for some reason, my mood this weekend kind of asked for something a bit on the aggressive side. I streamed Periphery's discography on Google Play and bam!! There's some great stuff going with this guys. I so regret not seeing them with AAL in San Antonio a few months ago  :facepalm:

:metal I was the same way, I checked them out years ago, and didn't like them at all. When PIII came out I gave them another shot and something clicked. Now I love their entire catalog.

Offline sylvan

• Alter Bridge Disciple
« Reply #1231 on: March 12, 2018, 10:39:48 AM »
I never would have imagined being into Periphery, they're not like anybody else I listen to. I just happened to hear them when I was really wanting I find something heavier, but not just heavy for the sake of heavy. Their aggressiveness is addictive.

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
« Reply #1232 on: March 12, 2018, 11:55:21 AM »
Same story here... I think seeing them live was what did it for me. I went to see Sikth open for them, and they just blew me away.

Offline TioJorge

• Constantly Contorting
  • Ashes to ashes, fun to funky.
« Reply #1233 on: March 12, 2018, 01:07:36 PM »
Ditto for me in the random liking after not being into this kind of music. It really worked out for me well because I went to see The Contortionist with a friend and while I enjoyed myself, I didn't think I'd ever listen to the music again. Cut to a year later and I hear Periphery's just-then-released Juggernaut and fell in love, which then opened me up a bit more to The Contortionist and now they're my two of my top bands.

Funny how tastes change or one little aspect of a current lifestyle or state of mind will change things for you.

DTP says "WOW, LOOK AT THAT GREAT POST"
RIP DTP.

Offline TioJorge

• Constantly Contorting
« Reply #1234 on: April 02, 2018, 11:58:09 AM »
I missed this and I'm sure others did too but...NEW SONG!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KRaX25AariI

:P I fucking love these guys.

RIP DTP.

Offline Train of Naught

• I sympathize, with a cockroach
  • .....and a cockroach
« Reply #1235 on: April 02, 2018, 12:00:28 PM »
Yeah, saw that song yesterday, so good!!! :metal :metal
people on this board are actual music fans who developed taste in music and not casual listeners who are following current fashion trends and listening to only current commercial hits.

Offline mikeyd23

« Reply #1236 on: April 02, 2018, 12:26:05 PM »
 :metal

Hilarious, love it!

Offline jakepriest

« Reply #1237 on: April 04, 2018, 11:49:23 AM »
Is it bad that this is better than anything on PIII?

Offline mikeyd23

« Reply #1238 on: April 04, 2018, 11:56:45 AM »
Is it bad that this is better than anything on PIII?

Yes  :lol

For real though, for me, PIII has aged to be their best album, no question.

Offline BlackInk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #1239 on: April 04, 2018, 12:17:41 PM »
It's probably my least favorite of their full length albums. Still pretty cool though.

Also: They've been posting snippits from P4 writing sessions on instagram and stuff over the past weeks or so. Sounds good so far.

Offline mikeyd23

« Reply #1240 on: April 04, 2018, 12:26:01 PM »
^ Yeah I don't know if I'm in the minority or what, but I got into the band after PIII came out and worked my way backwards. It seems like a lot of long-term fans have a connection with the first record and even the second. For me, they are really good, but just not as strong as III. Alpha and Omega are a close second in my book.

Offline romdrums

« Reply #1241 on: April 04, 2018, 01:15:30 PM »
^ Yeah I don't know if I'm in the minority or what, but I got into the band after PIII came out and worked my way backwards. It seems like a lot of long-term fans have a connection with the first record and even the second. For me, they are really good, but just not as strong as III. Alpha and Omega are a close second in my book.

I've been listening to Periphery since before the first record and I think PIII is their best album.
Though we live in trying times, we're the ones who have to try. -Neil Peart, 1952-2020.

There is a fundamental difference between filtered facts and firehosed opinions. -Stadler.

Offline mikeyd23

« Reply #1242 on: April 04, 2018, 01:18:13 PM »

I've been listening to Periphery since before the first record and I think PIII is their best album.

:tup

Offline Buddyhunter1

• Professional Mellotron Spotter
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Observe The Train
« Reply #1243 on: April 04, 2018, 03:32:42 PM »
II is still my favorite, but III comes pretty close. The beginning and end of the album are a bit weak and having by far my least favorite song on the album at the very start is questionable, but that string of songs from The Way The News Goes all the way to Catch Fire is amazing.
BUDDYHUNTER | Debut Demo Out Now! FREE DOWNLOAD: https://buddyhunter.bandcamp.com/
RYM: https://rateyourmusic.com/~buddyhunter1

Offline mikeyd23

« Reply #1244 on: April 05, 2018, 07:32:41 AM »
II is still my favorite, but III comes pretty close. The beginning and end of the album are a bit weak and having by far my least favorite song on the album at the very start is questionable, but that string of songs from The Way The News Goes all the way to Catch Fire is amazing.

I feel you, I'm not totally sold on the first two tracks on III, which is weird, but the run of songs 3 - 7 is totally killer. And the last two tracks are some of my favorites as well.

Offline BlackInk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #1245 on: April 05, 2018, 09:25:25 PM »
I think III had the potential musically to be one of their best, but I think Spencer does too many questionable things on that album that don't really resonate with me. And while the video game orchestra parts sound cool, I think they were overused.

But when it's good it's really good. Habitual Line-Stepper, Absalomb, and Lune are three really rockin' tracks.

Offline jakepriest

« Reply #1246 on: April 06, 2018, 01:13:43 PM »
I think III had the potential musically to be one of their best, but I think Spencer does too many questionable things on that album that don't really resonate with me. And while the video game orchestra parts sound cool, I think they were overused.

But when it's good it's really good. Habitual Line-Stepper, Absalomb, and Lune are three really rockin' tracks.

This is actually a pretty good summary. especially the video-game orchestra stuff. I miss the little electronic Jake things that were on PI and PII.
If the album didn't have Remain Indoors, Motormouth and Catch Fire it could be one of their better ones.

Offline mikeyd23

« Reply #1247 on: April 06, 2018, 01:39:08 PM »

This is actually a pretty good summary. especially the video-game orchestra stuff. I miss the little electronic Jake things that were on PI and PII.
If the album didn't have Remain Indoors, Motormouth and Catch Fire it could be one of their better ones.

Motormouth and Catch Fire are two of my least favorites, but I LOVE Remain Indoors. One of my favorites for sure.

Offline BlackInk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #1248 on: April 07, 2018, 10:23:30 AM »
Remain Indoors is okay, middle of the road for me. I've actually come to really enjoy Motormouth, but Catch Fire has some real issues that holds it back for me though.

The Way the News Goes bothers me too. I can appreciate Mark's writing style from time to time, but he has this habbit of writing songs where there's just way too many notes flying around all the time with almost nothing to balance it out.

Offline Buddyhunter1

• Professional Mellotron Spotter
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Observe The Train
« Reply #1249 on: April 07, 2018, 11:32:48 AM »
The Way the News Goes bothers me too. I can appreciate Mark's writing style from time to time, but he has this habbit of writing songs where there's just way too many notes flying around all the time with almost nothing to balance it out.

What impresses me so much about that song is how good it manages to be despite that. Take the ending verse (or whatever you want to call it) for example - that section has like four different melodies going on at once between the guitars and vocals yet, at least to me, it still manages to come together beautifully without sounding too overwhelming.

Regarding Catch Fire, I can totally see a lot of people not being into it especially since it's such a big departure from the band's usual sound, but I love it. One of the best of the album for me.
BUDDYHUNTER | Debut Demo Out Now! FREE DOWNLOAD: https://buddyhunter.bandcamp.com/
RYM: https://rateyourmusic.com/~buddyhunter1

Offline jakepriest

« Reply #1250 on: April 07, 2018, 12:02:15 PM »
I usually hate Mark songs in the beginning but they tend to slowly grow on me. He definitely overuses the weird chord - arpeggio - slide to another chord flurry of notes sequence a bit though.

Offline Mindflux

• DT.net Veteran
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1251 on: June 11, 2018, 01:30:19 PM »
Mark's stolen custom PRS 7 string has been recovered and returned to him:

https://www.facebook.com/AransasPassPD/videos/2076401602373020/?hc_ref=ARSj99altP8HJO0g2Vr4YhsI52jVpgpIkzlHbQFMcAD3k45RCoQv0swVDNnMe-9bMpE

This is Detective Mike Luna of the Aransas Pass, TX Police Department. Remember that stolen PRS Guitars Private Stock 7-string I had stolen last month? Long story short, Mike was instrumental in helping me recover it this past week. I never expected to see it again, but thanks to Mike, Bob Donaho and Tony Saracene, it’s back where it belongs. I’m still speechless. A million thank yous to Detective Luna, Aransas Pass Police Department and ALL OF YOU for raising online awareness about the theft. If it weren’t for you all making such a stink about it on social media, this guitar would still be sitting in some degenerate’s shitty garage. Most of you have never met me in person, but the fact that so many of you went out of your way to share, retweet or post about this guitar is ultimately the reason it was recovered. I am so humbled, and relieved that there is still such an abundance of good in this world. You helped out a stranger, and I will gladly pay it forward.

(If the thief happens to be reading this, go rescue a dog, learn to crochet or take a fucking basket-weaving class. The path you’re on will either end up with you in jail, or alone. Is stealing stuff and selling it at a flea market really what you want your legacy on this planet to be?

And if anyone is curious to know the story of how the guitar was recovered, the gist of it is that some random bum sold it at a flea market for $200. TWO-HUNDRED DOLLARS. I’ve never been so happy about another person’s lack of brain cells.) 🤷🏽‍♂️
    periphery #prsguitars #dontsteal

Offline mikeyd23

« Reply #1252 on: June 11, 2018, 01:38:56 PM »
Mark's stolen custom PRS 7 string has been recovered and returned to him:

https://www.facebook.com/AransasPassPD/videos/2076401602373020/?hc_ref=ARSj99altP8HJO0g2Vr4YhsI52jVpgpIkzlHbQFMcAD3k45RCoQv0swVDNnMe-9bMpE

This is Detective Mike Luna of the Aransas Pass, TX Police Department. Remember that stolen PRS Guitars Private Stock 7-string I had stolen last month? Long story short, Mike was instrumental in helping me recover it this past week. I never expected to see it again, but thanks to Mike, Bob Donaho and Tony Saracene, it’s back where it belongs. I’m still speechless. A million thank yous to Detective Luna, Aransas Pass Police Department and ALL OF YOU for raising online awareness about the theft. If it weren’t for you all making such a stink about it on social media, this guitar would still be sitting in some degenerate’s shitty garage. Most of you have never met me in person, but the fact that so many of you went out of your way to share, retweet or post about this guitar is ultimately the reason it was recovered. I am so humbled, and relieved that there is still such an abundance of good in this world. You helped out a stranger, and I will gladly pay it forward.

(If the thief happens to be reading this, go rescue a dog, learn to crochet or take a fucking basket-weaving class. The path you’re on will either end up with you in jail, or alone. Is stealing stuff and selling it at a flea market really what you want your legacy on this planet to be?

And if anyone is curious to know the story of how the guitar was recovered, the gist of it is that some random bum sold it at a flea market for $200. TWO-HUNDRED DOLLARS. I’ve never been so happy about another person’s lack of brain cells.) 🤷🏽‍♂️
    periphery #prsguitars #dontsteal

Wow, that's awesome. I saw Mark post about that when it was stolen. That's pretty incredible they recovered it.

Offline Metro

• DTF Resident Sloth
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • The Sloth Rules
« Reply #1253 on: January 30, 2019, 08:41:16 PM »
bump

The cover art and title for P4 leaked. Not confirmed until the band says so obviously, but it seems legit.

Periphery IV: Hail Stan

Offline mikeyd23

« Reply #1254 on: January 31, 2019, 08:09:01 AM »
 :lol

I hope the title actually is Hail Stan, that would be hilarious.

Offline Metro

• DTF Resident Sloth
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • The Sloth Rules
« Reply #1255 on: February 01, 2019, 12:21:11 PM »
http://periphery.net/

There's a countdown on their site now

Tracklisting appears to have leaked as well.
http://releases.funkysouls.com/release/21632

01. Reptile (16:44)
02. Blood Eagle (5:58)
03. Chvrch Burner (3:41)
04. Garden in the Bones (5:57)
05. It's Only Smiles (5:33)
06. Follow Your Ghost (5:24)
07. Crush (6:49)
08. Sentient Glow (4:28)
09. Satellites (9:25)
« Last Edit: February 01, 2019, 12:46:42 PM by Metropolaris »

Offline mikeyd23

« Reply #1256 on: February 01, 2019, 12:57:00 PM »
http://periphery.net/

There's a countdown on their site now

Tracklisting appears to have leaked as well.
http://releases.funkysouls.com/release/21632

01. Reptile (16:44)
02. Blood Eagle (5:58)
03. Chvrch Burner (3:41)
04. Garden in the Bones (5:57)
05. It's Only Smiles (5:33)
06. Follow Your Ghost (5:24)
07. Crush (6:49)
08. Sentient Glow (4:28)
09. Satellites (9:25)

Countdown to the first single maybe? I saw some stuff on social media, it looked like they filmed a video for Blood Eagle - so maybe they will premier that? Hyped!  :metal

Offline Heretic

• hold your head up high
  • DTF.org Member
  • never give up, never give in
« Reply #1257 on: February 02, 2019, 09:43:07 AM »
I'm a huge fan of those runtimes, love when Periphery showcases their progressive tendencies. Anticipating the first single!

Offline TioJorge

• Constantly Contorting
« Reply #1258 on: February 02, 2019, 04:08:47 PM »
Holy crap I am so excited for this!!!

RIP DTP.

Offline jakepriest

« Reply #1259 on: February 05, 2019, 04:31:30 PM »
Well... that's one heck of a song.

Honestly no idea what to think about it yet, so much stuff happens in those 6 minutes.  :lol
The main riff drops hard though.