Author Topic: The Periphery Thread  (Read 200870 times)

Offline sylvan

• Alter Bridge Disciple
Re: The Periphery Thread
« Reply #1190 on: January 17, 2017, 10:30:30 AM »
I never picked up PIII for some reason. I do most of my music listening while I run/workout, so if I can't get it on my iPod shuffle, I can't listen. But I've been checking it out online and I'm really thinking I need to get it, so I can have some alone time with it. Have my way with it :hat. But I do have PII and Juggernaut on there. And while I love a lot of Juggernaut, space is limited and I've cut some tracks. All of PII is on there. That album is a fucking killer.

Offline mikeyd23

« Reply #1191 on: January 17, 2017, 10:32:56 AM »
Cool thanks!

The one thing I will say is that I usually don't like bands that only scream. I can only listen to a certain amount of screaming before I want some clean, melodic vocals. PIII worked perfectly for me in that regard. Every time I thought to myself "man that's a lot of screaming, he's starting to lose me" Spencer would deliver a great vocal melody. PIII has just the right amount of screaming to singing ratio for me (perhaps a bit more screaming than I'd want ideally), so it'll probably be harder for me to get into some of their stuff that has more screaming.

So, all that being said, I'll be curious to hear how the vocals differ between albums.

Offline Train of Naught

• I sympathize, with a cockroach
  • .....and a cockroach
« Reply #1192 on: January 17, 2017, 10:51:37 AM »
Something tells me you'll love the song 'Scarlet', it's a bit toned down on the harsh vocals and has stellar melodies, though I'm not as crazy about it as it used to be.

Also not sure if you knew this, but one of the guitar players is the nephew of Petrucci, and they got JP to do a guest solo on one of the songs on that album (titled "Erised"), with the suggestion "we would like something along the lines of/with the same feel as the solo in Erotomania". Pretty cool stuff
people on this board are actual music fans who developed taste in music and not casual listeners who are following current fashion trends and listening to only current commercial hits.

Offline mikeyd23

« Reply #1193 on: January 17, 2017, 11:28:12 AM »
Yeah I knew Jake is his nephew and I think I listened to that song JP guested on back when it came out, I remember liking it.

It's actually funny, I saw an interview on YouTube the other day with Jake and he looks like he's growing out the beard just like his uncle  :lol

Offline jakepriest

« Reply #1194 on: January 17, 2017, 11:31:47 AM »
jake's beard is the best thing about periphery 

Offline mikeyd23

« Reply #1195 on: January 17, 2017, 11:34:06 AM »
I have to say, I was pretty impressed. He clearly has very strong beard game.

Offline jakepriest

« Reply #1196 on: January 17, 2017, 11:55:13 AM »
i remember when i first saw them live opening for devin townsend without knowing anything about them, i had only three main thoughs:  1) why three guitars? 2) why the v-neck? 3) damn that beard is mighty fine  :lol

Online twosuitsluke

• Dovie'andi se tovya sagain
« Reply #1197 on: January 17, 2017, 12:42:36 PM »
Am I one of the only ones who likes the Clear EP most? (bearing in mind I haven't heard P:III yet)

I also wouldn't really consider myself a huge fan, I don't mind them every now and then though.

Offline BlackInk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #1198 on: January 18, 2017, 12:15:22 AM »
I thought P3 had a bit too much screaming, at least in the beginning. The Price is Wrong is all harsh vocals, which has never happened before. And there's no cleans until a long way into Motormouth.

Juggernaut is my personal favorite though, so that's probably a good one to move on to if you liked P3. Very well done concept record.

Offline TioJorge

• Constantly Contorting
  • Ashes to ashes, fun to funky.
« Reply #1199 on: January 18, 2017, 01:47:36 AM »
I love the hell out of Clear but it's not my favorite. It does have one of my most listened to songs though, The Summer Jam (I also really love Feed The Ground).

DTP says "WOW, LOOK AT THAT GREAT POST"
RIP DTP.

Offline BlackInk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #1200 on: January 18, 2017, 02:38:08 AM »
I'm not really that fond of Clear. I think Parade of Ashes is alright, and Zero is cool but I would have liked it more with vocals. Also Extraneous is pretty interesting, but I barely listen to any of them ever.

Online twosuitsluke

« Reply #1201 on: January 18, 2017, 03:01:35 AM »
Well like I've said I'm not a huge fan and I've not heard P:III but I'd likely rank:

Clear EP
P:II
Juggernaut: A&O
P:I

I will give P:III a listen in the coming months  :corn

Offline jakepriest

« Reply #1202 on: January 18, 2017, 03:09:01 AM »
Clear is ok, it's just that the other releases are waaaaaaaaay better.

Online twosuitsluke

« Reply #1203 on: January 18, 2017, 03:24:33 AM »
Clear is ok, it's just that the other releases are waaaaaaaaay better.

In your opinion  :tup

Offline BlackInk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #1204 on: January 18, 2017, 05:24:06 AM »
Yes, obviously.

Offline mikeyd23

« Reply #1205 on: January 18, 2017, 07:45:20 AM »
I thought P3 had a bit too much screaming, at least in the beginning. The Price is Wrong is all harsh vocals, which has never happened before. And there's no cleans until a long way into Motormouth.

Juggernaut is my personal favorite though, so that's probably a good one to move on to if you liked P3. Very well done concept record.

I agree, but looking at the album as a whole, there was enough clean singing with great melodies in songs like Marigold, The Way the News Goes, Remain Indoors, Catch Fire, and Lune to balance out that very scream-heavy start to the record.

As a side note, speaking of Motormouth, I LOVE when he does finally introduce a clean melody and then the band kicks into that great outro  :metal

Offline Train of Naught

• I sympathize, with a cockroach
  • .....and a cockroach
« Reply #1206 on: January 19, 2017, 02:13:25 AM »
As a side note, speaking of Motormouth, I LOVE when he does finally introduce a clean melody and then the band kicks into that great outro  :metal
Fucking this, what an ending.

I just stumbled upon this vid of Flatline with Vocals/Synths/Strings only. 0:43 sounds like a 70's acapella progrock intro :lol Listening to this thing made me realize how well-constructed the song is vocally.
people on this board are actual music fans who developed taste in music and not casual listeners who are following current fashion trends and listening to only current commercial hits.

Offline BlackInk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #1207 on: January 19, 2017, 06:02:16 AM »
Yeah Motormouth is a pretty badass song.

Offline mikeyd23

« Reply #1208 on: January 19, 2017, 07:11:44 AM »
I just stumbled upon this vid of Flatline with Vocals/Synths/Strings only. 0:43 sounds like a 70's acapella progrock intro :lol Listening to this thing made me realize how well-constructed the song is vocally.

On PIII there is A LOT going on vocally. Lots of layers kinda weaving together, harsh, clean, etc... I'm really impressed with his vocals on this record.

Offline jakepriest

« Reply #1209 on: January 23, 2017, 07:54:55 AM »
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4OjfwKDacWw

just gonna leave this here

gravitee is a just a feeble ploooot yeaaaa

Offline sylvan

• Alter Bridge Disciple
« Reply #1210 on: January 23, 2017, 08:36:17 AM »
Thank you  :metal

:facepalm:

Offline mikeyd23

« Reply #1211 on: January 23, 2017, 09:17:00 AM »
 :lol

Offline TioJorge

• Constantly Contorting
« Reply #1212 on: January 23, 2017, 09:34:26 AM »
 :rollin :rollin :rollin :rollin :rollin

Jesus fucking christ. My sides.

RIP DTP.

Offline Metro

• DTF Resident Sloth
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Operation: Slothcrime
« Reply #1213 on: August 03, 2017, 11:58:07 AM »
Bump

Nolly has left the band.
https://www.facebook.com/PeripheryBand/photos/a.398626323216.167142.19059968216/10155660824368217/?type=3&theater
"A few weeks ago I came to the decision I didn’t want to continue as a member of Periphery. The Periphery guys are some of my best friends, I have nothing but high hopes for the future of the band, and I’ll always be a huge fan of the music, however after a year of not touring I became aware that I’m just not invested in the day-to-day decision-making and problem solving that constitutes so much of the reality of running a joint enterprise like Periphery. It’s simply not on my mind, and that’s not fair to the rest of the band, the band’s team, and everyone involved in making Periphery a success – and that includes you all too.

The guys in Periphery are all incredible people and musicians, in their different and complementary ways. I know they’ll go on to achieve things I can’t even imagine, and I’ll be so happy to watch that happen.

For my own part, I’ll continue to enjoy the more settled life at home with my wife, focussing on my production work and on GetGood Drums.

I’ve got nothing but incredible gratitude for everything we experienced together and pride for what we accomplished, it has been an honour to play a role in something that has grown from humble origins to a genuinely genre-defining, internationally successful band. Thank you all for having me along for the ride. Really."

Offline mikeyd23

« Reply #1214 on: August 03, 2017, 12:56:07 PM »
That sucks, but unfortunately, it seemed like the writing was on the wall.

Offline Mindflux

• DT.net Veteran
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1215 on: August 03, 2017, 12:57:23 PM »

Yep. Though I don't feel it's a substantial loss. 

Offline mikeyd23

« Reply #1216 on: August 03, 2017, 01:02:21 PM »

Yep. Though I don't feel it's a substantial loss.

Hard to tell. Obviously, he wasn't touring with them in support of PIII, so live, they won't be affected too much. But I don't know how much he contributed in terms of writing. He and Misha seemed to spearhead the production for the last couple records (which are killer) so I'm curious to see if he still maybe produces the band in the future? I don't know...

Offline Metro

• DTF Resident Sloth
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Operation: Slothcrime
« Reply #1217 on: August 03, 2017, 02:10:03 PM »
https://www.sevenstring.org/threads/periphery-megathread-everything-periphery.121110/page-704#post-4768987

Misha says they won't be looking for a new bassist. I think they'll just have one of them play the bass parts on future albums and just continue to use backing tracks live.

Offline mikeyd23

« Reply #1218 on: August 03, 2017, 02:11:54 PM »
https://www.sevenstring.org/threads/periphery-megathread-everything-periphery.121110/page-704#post-4768987

Misha says they won't be looking for a new bassist. I think they'll just have one of them play the bass parts on future albums and just continue to use backing tracks live.

I'm totally fine with that, I think it makes sense.

Offline Cable

« Reply #1219 on: August 03, 2017, 03:01:56 PM »
As a bassist though having a bunch of guitars up there makes me a bit meh. I know with djent, tuning down so low on some songs forgo's the bass. However Periphery would use octave lower bass still.

But overall it makes sense. Honestly while Nolly seems to have done well writing music overall, his bass parts followed guitar a huge chunk of the time. And with Periphery playing shows on rails so to speak (synced up), continuing to have bass tracks isn't a big deal.
---

Offline jakepriest

« Reply #1220 on: August 03, 2017, 05:25:03 PM »
RIP Omega main riff.

Offline TioJorge

• Constantly Contorting
« Reply #1221 on: August 05, 2017, 06:17:58 PM »
Definitely sucks and as has already been stated, it remains to be seen how this will affect the sound of the band but I'd venture to say that it won't change things too much given Misha's reaction and seemingly cool nature about it. Here's hoping. I know it's too early but I'm already itching for more despite still playing PIII on the weekly.

RIP DTP.

Offline The Silent Cody

• The biggest polish DT appreciator ;)
  • DTF.org Member
  • Ten years older, but still DT'ish ;)
« Reply #1222 on: August 05, 2017, 07:27:11 PM »
Nolly's leave sucks in general because he is a very good musician and a nice guy. But, I've been prepared for this decision from Periphery. They are so much into using backing tracks live, not only bass tracks, that having no live bass isn't a problem. I saw them once live in Poland in 2015 during tour with Devin. Great show, but the only problem that I felt about it, was a lack of bass in front mix. It was strange for me, because They all are using Fractal's and backing tracks. I expected perfect live sound, it was very far away from that.

Offline BlackInk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #1223 on: August 06, 2017, 10:10:25 AM »
As far as musically, I don't think it'll be that different. Misha, Mark, and Jake were always the main writers. I hope the production doesn't suffer though, but I don't think so.

Offline jakepriest

« Reply #1224 on: August 06, 2017, 01:56:26 PM »
Tbh the only person I wouldn't miss on the band right now is Misha. Sure he is the progenitor and the "main guy" behind Periphery, but I kinda dislike the style and music he has grown into over the past few years, and it's one of the main reasons why I disliked PIII so much.