General > General Music Discussion

The Periphery Thread

<< < (277/277)

twosuitsluke:

--- Quote from: Buddyhunter1 on March 16, 2023, 09:15:13 AM ---I think the Clear EP is underrated! It's obviously less substantial than their full albums but Feed The Ground, Zero, The Parade Of Ashes, and Pale Aura are all bangers.

--- End quote ---

I totally agree. I think after P2 it’s actually my favourite release by the band.

--- Quote from: Buddyhunter1 on March 13, 2023, 07:35:09 AM ---
--- Quote from: twosuitsluke on March 13, 2023, 06:53:29 AM ---I'm assuming it's a tribute to Nobuo Uematsu, (composer of the majority of the
Final Fantasy series) as I'm pretty sure Misha Mansoor is a fan.

--- End quote ---

The name is definitely referencing him, and apparently a vocal melody in the chorus is lifted from the FFVII theme (not sure what the "theme" of that game is so I don't recognize it myself).

--- End quote ---

You are dead right, and there are actually a few references in there.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z7HL2J_GHGU

If you scroll the comments to @matombler3009 he says the following:

There are so many nods to Final Fantasy in this it's incredible. This song means a lot to me (I discovered you guys through Misha's FF metal remixes) and I've been lucky enough to interview Uematsu so I've got genuine goosebumps listening to this. What an incredible way to end an album. Here are the nods to Final Fantasy I've noticed!

Intro guitar lead is super reminiscent of the FF VII main theme
Vocals underneath this section remind me of FF X Hymm of Faith
2:04 vocal melody is the same as the first part (five notes) of FF VII's main theme
2:23 vocal melody is the same as the second part (eight notes) of FF VII's main theme
4:00 sexy guitar pattern reminds me of the music that plays after the victory fanfare in fights for FF VII
6:27 string section + guitars are riffing around the same motif as the FF VII theme

That’s so cool. I have already listened to a lot of the FF covers Misha has done, but I might spin a few more for nostalgia's sake.

Fritzinger:
All the praise for PII makes me very excited for this album  :o still stunned by the debut though.
I guess I have to start searching their albums in vinyl now…

Fritzinger:
I have been listening to Periphery II for the last weeks now, much to the anger of my girlfriend. I have now listened to the thing around 12-14 times.

And yes, it's more versatile, "proggy" than the debut, despite shorter song lengths. But it's not at all more accessible, the first listen was even a little disappointing for me. But after a few listens, some beautiful melodies appeared between the polyrhythmic riff attacks. There are even some reprises and callbacks from previous songs spread on the album. The performances are top notch, the production is awesome, but I guess these two things can be presumed on a Periphery album. I knew JP played a solo somewhere on the album but I didn't check on which song. I did that on purpose so I could see if I could recognize his style immediately. Turns out I can ;) Guthrie Govan's solo on Have A Blast is great as to be expected with the Govenator, but I have heard far better solos by him (Regret #9).

Great album, but it didn't hit me as much as when I heard PV for the first time. I'm looking forward to checking out what sounds like a more experimental EP, Clear. I am still hooked (for over 6 weeks now!)  :metal

MinistroRaven:
The band just release an acoustic video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3shcIj2v9qw

More info about the release here:

https://lotsofmuzik.com/periphery-releases-acoustic-singles-today-via-3dot-recordings/

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version