Author Topic: The Periphery Thread  (Read 201366 times)

Offline MinistroRaven

• DTF.org Alumni
Re: The Periphery Thread
« Reply #1330 on: November 04, 2020, 02:30:34 PM »
PERIPHERY SET NOV. 13 RELEASE DATE FOR DEBUT LIVE ALBUM, PERIPHERY: LIVE IN LONDON

Periphery have announced their first live album, releasing the 10-song Periphery: Live in London (pre-orders: smarturl.it/LIL_it) on Nov. 13.

“For years Periphery has wanted to do a live record. We’d always talk about it, what show would we capture?  When would we do it? What would we want it to sound like? On November 15, 2019 we figured out the answers to those questions by capturing our entire show in London and we couldn’t be more excited to show it to everyone,” explains guitar player Jake Bowen. “London has consistently been one of our favorite places to play and this show was certainly one we’ll never forget, so we present to you our first live album...Periphery: Live in London!”

The varied track list includes music from throughout the D.C.-born band’s discography. Periphery IV: HAIL STAN (https://store.3dotrecordings.com/) arrived in the Spring of 2019, debuting at #1 on Billboard’s Independent Albums, Rock Albums and Hard Rock Album charts, as well as entering the trade magazine’s Top Album Sales and Digital Albums charts at #9. The nine-song release is the follow up to their 2017 GRAMMY® Award nominated Periphery III: Select Difficulty. The 2016 album has tallied 35 million cumulative streams. Periphery band members have graced the covers of Guitar World, Revolver, Modern Drummer, Bass Player and more.

Periphery is Jake Bowen (guitar, programming), Matt Halpern (drums), Mark Holcomb (guitar), Misha Mansoor (guitar, programming) and Spencer Sotelo (vocals).

Offline MinistroRaven

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1331 on: November 04, 2020, 02:30:57 PM »
Anyone wants to review this one?

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #1332 on: November 04, 2020, 03:39:18 PM »
Sweeeeeeet, I was at that show!

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Offline Buddyhunter1

• Professional Mellotron Spotter
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Observe The Train
« Reply #1333 on: November 29, 2020, 09:27:27 PM »
How desperate are bot programmers that they need to target prog forums in fucking 2020?
BUDDYHUNTER | Debut Demo Out Now! FREE DOWNLOAD: https://buddyhunter.bandcamp.com/
RYM: https://rateyourmusic.com/~buddyhunter1

Offline fadetoblackdude7

« Reply #1334 on: March 20, 2021, 09:52:29 AM »
The boys are in the studio, as posted on their Instagram. Probably have it by fall I assume?

Periphery V: Hail Stan II: This Time Select Difficulty

Offline MinistroRaven

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1335 on: January 09, 2023, 10:18:30 AM »
The wait is over! This Thursday, January 12th, Periphery will be releasing not one but two singles from their forthcoming new album, Periphery V: Djent Is Not A Genre.

You can pre-save the singles in the link in the bio.

Periphery V: Djent Is Not A Genre is out March 10, 2023.

The release of the singles, "Wildfire" and "Zagreus", will be accompanied by an album pre-order. There will be 3 different LP variants available as well as a complete line of album-themed merch items. All can be ordered individually or as bundles.

Offline Nel

• Humorless Bore
« Reply #1336 on: January 09, 2023, 09:44:39 PM »
I pitched them so many better titles than that.  :P
Hire me. I'm talentless but malleable.

Offline Buddyhunter1

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Observe The Train
« Reply #1337 on: January 12, 2023, 09:19:30 AM »
They think they're slick with that Hades OST quote at the end of Zagreus... :lol
« Last Edit: January 12, 2023, 09:30:31 AM by Buddyhunter1 »
BUDDYHUNTER | Debut Demo Out Now! FREE DOWNLOAD: https://buddyhunter.bandcamp.com/

Offline BlackInk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #1338 on: January 12, 2023, 09:44:59 AM »
Interesting that there are not only lyrical references to Juggernaut, but riffs in both singles taken directly from that album.

Overall, I like the songs.

Offline Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #1339 on: January 12, 2023, 02:28:30 PM »
Both songs are brutally amazing.

I also think I am starting to see why they named it "Djent is not a Genre". But this inkling won't be confirmed until I hear the entire album. But if it is true, that gets me more excited to see where they go with those other songs. I loved the trumpet and style change in "Wildfire", and also the other style change in "Zagreus".

I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Online twosuitsluke

• Dovie'andi se tovya sagain
« Reply #1340 on: January 12, 2023, 03:14:11 PM »
Wildfire is great! I really liked both tracks here, and especially that jazz breakdown. As always, the thing that holds me back from truly loving this band (as with BtBaM) is the vocalist. Spencer is not a terrible by any means, but I can't help wondering how much I'd like them with a vocalist more suited to my tastes.

Offline PixelDream

• Maestro
« Reply #1341 on: January 14, 2023, 05:27:36 PM »
Been enjoying their output on an occasional basis and I saw them live opening up for DT on the ADToE tour. I was most into them around P2, that was a pretty cool album. Everything after that I’ve liked a few tracks here and there - Reptile really caught my ear of the previous record.

But these two new tracks are quite amazing to me after a few listens. Extremely heavy, groovy, and the melodic and progressive songwriting shines as well. The anthemic choruses don’t annoy me and feel earned. Loving the sudden genre switches in both tracks, as well as the general blackened chord progressions and ambient background layers. Vocals are pure fire, Spencer is a force to be reckoned with but he’s definitely not taking it easier, sounding deranged at points, love it. If the rest of the album is this good, we’re in for a ride.
Not 'Down To F***', but 'Dream Theater Forums' .

Offline WebRaider

• Like What You Like, People...
« Reply #1342 on: January 15, 2023, 05:42:16 PM »
Interesting that there are not only lyrical references to Juggernaut, but riffs in both singles taken directly from that album.

Overall, I like the songs.

Apparently there was the idea that they were looking to do Juggernaut pt. 2 in the early stages of making this album (per Mark Holcomb on Nik Noturnal Twitch Stream) but scrapped it.

Offline Ben_Jamin

« Reply #1343 on: March 10, 2023, 01:31:55 AM »
Listening to the new album now for a first listen and I am really loving it so far.

Wax Wings and Silhouette stood out as my favorites so far. I applaud the guys for even making a song like Silhouette, I love it due to how the meaning of the lyrics fit in with the music style. It's a great combination for what the song is about as well.

Dracul Gras is a fantastic epic, with one of my favorite endings ever for a song. I wish it was longer. But, the ending to Thanks Nobuo is the perfect way to end this album.

I also think I am starting to see why they named it "Djent is not a Genre". But this inkling won't be confirmed until I hear the entire album. But if it is true, that gets me more excited to see where they go with those other songs. I loved the trumpet and style change in "Wildfire", and also the other style change in "Zagreus".

It looks like I was somewhat right in my thought. I like how the album is called "Djent is Not a Genre" while also having most songs intermingle with some different genres, incorporating other styles of music besides metal to blend with their "Djent" style of music. I also like how Everything's Fine! is like their normal style of song, followed by a song that diverts completely from their style.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
« Reply #1344 on: March 10, 2023, 06:55:36 AM »
Two songs in and I'm very impressed... Just love Spencer's vocals.

Offline Skeever

« Reply #1345 on: March 10, 2023, 07:20:49 AM »
This album is excellent.

Offline Buddyhunter1

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Observe The Train
« Reply #1346 on: March 10, 2023, 08:59:34 AM »
Did they get Fredrik Thordendal to do the solo in the middle of Wildfire, or that just one of the boys doing a really good Thordendal impression? :lol

Offline Buddyhunter1

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Observe The Train
« Reply #1347 on: March 10, 2023, 10:12:19 AM »
First listen was pretty positive! I felt like on Hail Stan the band was trying too hard to be super heavy and br00tal, whereas this one is a lot more balanced and better plays into their strengths.

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #1348 on: March 10, 2023, 10:18:32 AM »
First listen was pretty positive! I felt like on Hail Stan the band was trying too hard to be super heavy and br00tal, whereas this one is a lot more balanced and better plays into their strengths.
Yeah I don't know if the overall album was super heavy or anything, but there were two or three songs or parts of songs that were so batshit crazy that it made it hard to get into.

The new album is fantastic.

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Offline BlackInk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #1349 on: March 10, 2023, 11:18:57 AM »
Given the album a few spins and really like it. Not all of it, but there's a lot of stuff to like. Sillhouette is unexpected, very The 1975, keep expecting Spence to put on a heavy British accent.

Did they get Fredrik Thordendal to do the solo in the middle of Wildfire, or that just one of the boys doing a really good Thordendal impression? :lol

Yeah Misha mentioned in an interview that that solo is basically a straight Meshuggah ripoff section, but he didn't care because he just thought it sounded awesome.

Offline Buddyhunter1

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Observe The Train
« Reply #1350 on: March 10, 2023, 11:24:59 AM »
Yeah Misha mentioned in an interview that that solo is basically a straight Meshuggah ripoff section, but he didn't care because he just thought it sounded awesome.

Hah, if Periphery cared about not ripping off Meshuggah they'd be a completely different band. :lol

Offline ProfessorPeart

• MP.com Refugee
  • Lubed In The Face
« Reply #1351 on: March 10, 2023, 11:45:01 AM »
Now that Amazon has made it clear that release day, let alone 2 day shipping is not really a thing for Prime members anymore, I won't have this until next week. They have not even shipped it yet and it has been pre-ordered for some time.

Heck, all of my CD pre-orders all give delivery dates for the following week after release. They don't even hide it anymore.
beul ni teh efac = Lube In The Face / That has to be wrong.  :lol / EDIT: Oh, it's Blue! I'm an idiot.
Pardon the interruption, but I just had to run in and celebrate the majesty of Lube in the Face as highest moment in roulette history

Offline Lonk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #1352 on: March 10, 2023, 05:01:42 PM »
Wax Wings and Dracul Gras and Thanks Nobuo are early favorite. Good album  :metal
Vmadera has evolved into Lonk

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
« Reply #1353 on: March 10, 2023, 07:29:33 PM »
I'm feeling Wax Wings, Zagreus, Dracul Gras... But Silhouette is an early favorite tbh. Just love how subtle it is.

Really solid throughout though, hope they do a headline tour in the near future

Offline Metro

• DTF Resident Sloth
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Keeper of the Seven Sloths
« Reply #1354 on: March 10, 2023, 09:45:47 PM »
Really loving PV so far. This band has come a long way, and they really do get better with every release.

Here's the Making Of documentary for the new album. Definitely worth a watch.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xlB6dGIRutY

Offline TheBarstoolWarrior

• PR permission
« Reply #1355 on: March 11, 2023, 07:52:19 AM »
PV is awesome. Periphery is awesome. One of my only non-DT prog metal loves.

They have such a great mix of djent and hooks. I have never liked the songs that are screaming all the way through, so there has always been 1 or 2 skip tracks for me, but this record is very consistent. Thus far my fav is Wax Wings.

Offline BlackInk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #1356 on: March 12, 2023, 01:42:05 AM »

Was almost more excited for this than the album itself. I love these documentaries they make for each album.

Offline goo-goo

« Reply #1357 on: March 12, 2023, 05:18:29 PM »
Now that Amazon has made it clear that release day, let alone 2 day shipping is not really a thing for Prime members anymore, I won't have this until next week. They have not even shipped it yet and it has been pre-ordered for some time.

Heck, all of my CD pre-orders all give delivery dates for the following week after release. They don't even hide it anymore.

This is what I go to LaserCD. If I'm going to wait a week, I'd rather spend it in a small business. The Amazon renewal came in automatically last month at $150 and I'm really tempted to just cancel it. Of the last 5 orders, 3 of them have been lost and 2 of them had late deliveries. And there's like 2-3 big hubs near the Austin area so it's not like I live somewhere remote.

Album is kicking my ass. Outstanding so far.

Online twosuitsluke

• Dovie'andi se tovya sagain
« Reply #1358 on: March 13, 2023, 06:53:29 AM »

Was almost more excited for this than the album itself. I love these documentaries they make for each album.

I haven't watched it but I probably should. I'm interested to hear them talk about Thanks Nobuo. I'm assuming it's a tribute to Nobuo Uematsu, (composer of the majority of the
Final Fantasy series) as I'm pretty sure Misha Mansoor is a fan. He's covered some of his music on his Bulb albums anyway.

Anyone got any info on this?

Offline Buddyhunter1

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Observe The Train
« Reply #1359 on: March 13, 2023, 07:35:09 AM »
I'm assuming it's a tribute to Nobuo Uematsu, (composer of the majority of the
Final Fantasy series) as I'm pretty sure Misha Mansoor is a fan.

The name is definitely referencing him, and apparently a vocal melody in the chorus is lifted from the FFVII theme (not sure what the "theme" of that game is so I don't recognize it myself).

Offline Ben_Jamin

« Reply #1360 on: March 13, 2023, 11:23:18 AM »

I haven't watched it but I probably should. I'm interested to hear them talk about Thanks Nobuo. I'm assuming it's a tribute to Nobuo Uematsu, (composer of the majority of the
Final Fantasy series) as I'm pretty sure Misha Mansoor is a fan. He's covered some of his music on his Bulb albums anyway.

I didn't hear anything mentioned about Thanks Nobuo. Its more of a documentation of the writing and recording for the album. What and how they used certain equipment and gadgets for sounds, how they developed those sounds. They were all together for the first time in a while and it's reflected in the documentary.

Offline BlackInk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #1361 on: March 13, 2023, 12:43:16 PM »

I'm sure he has mentioned it in other places as well, but Misha does talk about his love for that composer in the interview linked below if you're interested. Although it's not in reference to the song Thanks Nobou specifically.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u9tIMgvKCp8

Don't remember when in the podcast it is though, it's quite a long one, and more of a conversation between Misha and the other guy, who talks quite a bit as well.

Offline ProfessorPeart

• MP.com Refugee
  • Lubed In The Face
« Reply #1362 on: March 14, 2023, 08:36:11 PM »
Finally got a couple of listens in and while I am enjoying it, I also have some gripes.

I'm not a fan of how 4 of the songs have multiple endings, especially when these endings seem to have nothing to do with the song it is tacked onto. In my opinion, they should have made them transition tracks like how Tool has those short tracks in between songs. I ended up hacking off the extra endings on those 4 songs when I ripped the album. They just didn't add anything for me.

I've often joked that Spencer's clean vocals are boy band quality. They took that to heart with Silhouette. Got to say, really not feeling that track. I have nothing against a good ballad, but I really didn't like anything about it. The synth, the electric drums or drum machine, it was all just way too much for me. I couldn't even finish the track my first time through. I bailed on it.

Other than those gripes, I'm really enjoying the rest of the album. Well, I think the Jazz interlude on Wildfire could have been a bit longer and I think they transitioned out of Jørgen's solo a little too quickly, but that one is minor.
beul ni teh efac = Lube In The Face / That has to be wrong.  :lol / EDIT: Oh, it's Blue! I'm an idiot.
Pardon the interruption, but I just had to run in and celebrate the majesty of Lube in the Face as highest moment in roulette history

Offline Buddyhunter1

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Observe The Train
« Reply #1363 on: March 14, 2023, 09:45:54 PM »
The segues are getting a bit long for my liking as well, but quality-wise I think they’re all fine. Dracul Gras transitions into Thanks Nobuo really well. And the ambient outro of Thanks Nobuo is surprisingly well-done and beautiful.

The only song of theirs with a segue that annoyed me enough to edit out was Crush from Hail Stan. Oh, and Icarus Lives! if that counts. I just replaced the version from the album with the one from the Jetpacks EP, since that has better vocals anyways.

Offline Buddyhunter1

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Observe The Train
« Reply #1364 on: March 15, 2023, 09:07:55 PM »
This album's damn good. After the mild disappointment that was Hail Stan my expectations weren't too high for this one, but I'm pleasantly surprised that it managed to be almost as good as Periphery II and III. I think Silhouette was a swing and a miss, and Everything Is Fine! doesn't have much going for it beyond being super aggressive, but I like every other song on the album and thankfully those two are the shortest ones.