Author Topic: The Periphery Thread  (Read 201154 times)

Offline PixelDream

• Maestro
Re: The Periphery Thread
« Reply #1155 on: August 11, 2016, 05:21:18 AM »
That was a nice documentary. But do I understand it correctly that the band just write entire riff-fests without vocal melodies? That Spencer has to come up with the melodies? What a weird approach.
Not 'Down To F***', but 'Dream Theater Forums' .

Offline jakepriest

« Reply #1156 on: August 11, 2016, 06:29:03 AM »
Isn't that what DT does too? Just write songs and add vocals to them later.

Offline Train of Naught

• I sympathize, with a cockroach
  • .....and a cockroach
« Reply #1157 on: August 11, 2016, 11:56:00 AM »
Yeah, that's a very standard approach, not sure what he thinks is remotely weird about that. :lol

On a side note, The Way The News Goes... is becoming a new favorite of mine, what a cool song!
people on this board are actual music fans who developed taste in music and not casual listeners who are following current fashion trends and listening to only current commercial hits.

Offline jakepriest

« Reply #1158 on: August 11, 2016, 12:09:38 PM »
The Way The News Goes...  is becoming a new favorite of mine, what a cool song!

Still the only song on the album that I actively dislike, it has it's moments, but the main riff is just too annoying. The second half of it gets better tho.

Offline TioJorge

• Constantly Contorting
  • Ashes to ashes, fun to funky.
« Reply #1159 on: August 11, 2016, 11:32:43 PM »
On a side note, The Way The News Goes... is becoming a new favorite of mine, what a cool song!

Still by far my most listened to song and if I had to pick a favorite, that'd be it.

I've also warmed up immensely to Motormouth. It's interesting having the main brunt of the heaviness at the very beginning of the album and the ending is quite soft (for Periphery).

This album has my almost 50/50 split least favorite and most favorite lyrics as well. Lines like Lune's "Can you feel the love? Yes I feel the love" and most of Catch Fire really don't do anything for me at all but I love the instrumentals a lot, but then TWTNG... and Flatline have some of my favorite lyrics off any of their albums on top of having some of my favorite instrumentals.

At the risk of sounding like a broken record, I love this album but I feel it bears repeating on how much I get what Misha was saying with regards to nerves and the album. Definitely a different feel overall, different approach, different lyrics...all the while, retaining their core sound. I love it; it's always great to have a band explore their sound while retaining the essence that makes them "them".
« Last Edit: August 11, 2016, 11:37:51 PM by TioJorge »

DTP says "WOW, LOOK AT THAT GREAT POST"
RIP DTP.

Offline Cable

« Reply #1160 on: August 12, 2016, 08:15:15 PM »
^ yeah I agree about the lyrics. Some are a bit off, and some are just emotionally wrenching; Prayer Position.  :eek At the same time, I felt Periphery has always been a band with a strong sense of humor. They do not always seem to take the lyrics as seriously as a the music, yet I didn't really hear much goofiness in the lyrics.

I don't know if I said it in my last post, but this was certainly Spencer's time to shine, and he did IMO. It's cool that something like Lune is accepted warmly by the band. Outside of Erised, I don't think they had another full mellow song like that. And Lune is more laid-back still than Erised I feel.

I think I can easily place this as my favorite Periphery album. Maybe it's the album I need write now, and it hits with so well. But I feel the Djent is hard to go with at times, and it blends in well with this album to me.
---

Offline PixelDream

• Maestro
« Reply #1161 on: August 13, 2016, 04:48:10 AM »
Anyone else hear a little 'Time' (Hans Zimmer, Inception soundtrack) in The Way the News Goes' chorus?
Not 'Down To F***', but 'Dream Theater Forums' .

Offline BlackInk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #1162 on: August 13, 2016, 05:41:07 AM »
I see what you mean, but nah, that's a bit of a stretch.

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
« Reply #1163 on: August 13, 2016, 06:13:07 PM »
Show's tomorrow night, getting pretty fucking stoked, ain't gonna lie...

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #1164 on: August 15, 2016, 12:40:24 AM »
Ok, I ain't gonna lie. Periphery was fucking amazeballs. Easily one of the best vocal performances I've seen, he didn't miss a note. Sikth dropped the house down pretty good too. Even Chon got a pit rolling. Great night all around!!!

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
  • tdjghjjkhliòujoàupougjyufkuyrkuyt
« Reply #1165 on: August 15, 2016, 12:47:03 AM »
okay but what the heck is chon doing playing with periphery and sikth, like, what??????

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #1166 on: August 15, 2016, 01:25:05 AM »
They did stick out like a sore thumb  :lol

Offline Metro

• DTF Resident Sloth
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Keeper of the Seven Sloths
« Reply #1167 on: August 15, 2016, 08:59:48 AM »
Prayer Position Bass playthrough by Nolly
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-w5qFCT6EZY

Offline BlackInk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #1168 on: August 15, 2016, 11:34:24 AM »
Nolly is crazy.

Offline jakepriest

« Reply #1169 on: August 15, 2016, 11:46:05 AM »
dat tone tho

Offline Metro

• DTF Resident Sloth
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Keeper of the Seven Sloths
« Reply #1170 on: August 18, 2016, 08:13:53 AM »
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=whUy9s7jeqE

Drum Playthrough of Prayer Position by Matt

Offline pain of occupation

• DT.net Veteran
  • DTF Official Thread Killer
« Reply #1171 on: August 19, 2016, 02:50:10 PM »
so I wasn't expecting to fall in such amounts of love with Shrek2 after my first few spins three weeks ago, but here I am 40 spins later and the romance has me thinking I've got a new favourite Periphery album. SO MUCH sweet goodness.

fun tidbit: I wasn't yet familiar with the album when I was reading this thread circa three weeks back, and I think y'all made the "...and join the stars" line my favourite lyric of the album. so thanx.  :metal

Offline BlackInk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #1172 on: August 19, 2016, 03:04:21 PM »
I think that's a terrible line. Or, the line itself isn't that bad, it's just that in the first chorus they say "and be alright", which is just sooo much better.

Offline Train of Naught

• .....and a cockroach
« Reply #1173 on: August 19, 2016, 03:10:31 PM »
Making a list of best lyrics/vocal deliveries seems like an impossible job for me right now, I'm so amazed with this album. The line "Sure is something when we all catch fire" from Catch Fire is definitely up there though, don't think they've ever done a song as poppy as that one but it's tremendous.

I think that's a terrible line. Or, the line itself isn't that bad, it's just that in the first chorus they say "and be alright", which is just sooo much better.
Agreed.
people on this board are actual music fans who developed taste in music and not casual listeners who are following current fashion trends and listening to only current commercial hits.

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #1174 on: August 19, 2016, 03:17:13 PM »
the fact its different from the first chorus to the next two makes BOTH lines all the better for it.

Offline Cable

« Reply #1175 on: August 19, 2016, 03:29:49 PM »
Glad to see Catch Fire getting praise, as it's clearly the stick out track for better or worse. I love that "sure is something" line a lot too.

It's a cheap song, and not much to it. But maybe that is why I like it. Plus it hits emotionally at this moment for me.
---

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #1176 on: August 20, 2016, 01:35:15 PM »
Catch Fire is the perfect balance of extreme metal, Faith No More, and Evanescence...with a couple measures of One Direction thrown in the mix.  :hat

Offline Cable

« Reply #1177 on: August 27, 2016, 09:37:43 PM »
Their show in Detroit, MI was awesome. For some reason I thought they were going to play 22 Faces. Spencer sounded on point, and the playing had no issues that I could hear. Their style can be so heavy at times. Stuff like The Bad Thing slays live. Very entertaining stage presence IMO, which I did not fully feel so watching videos in the past. I love this band, and they keep growing more for me. Lune of course was the highlight perhaps.

Chon was a huge highlight of the support bands. Definitely checking more of them out, and hopefully without vocals. They absolutely were awesome with minimal distortion, and had melodic playing crammed in.
---

Offline jakepriest

« Reply #1178 on: September 05, 2016, 09:38:26 PM »
So now that the album has been out for some time, who'd be up for a Periphery survivor v2?

Offline BlackInk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #1179 on: September 06, 2016, 01:14:32 AM »
I'm always up for that.

Offline Train of Naught

• .....and a cockroach
« Reply #1180 on: September 06, 2016, 01:26:09 AM »
My votes would be different for pretty much every album compared to last year, so it would definitely be interesting, but I don't know whether I'll remember voting every day, I don't visit P/S much.

Ranking the songs on Periphery III is going to be a bitch :lol I think every song on the album is atleast great. The only one I'm sure about is my last place and everyone is going to be pissed about it. Classic Periphery Survivor stuff.

Offline jakepriest

« Reply #1181 on: September 10, 2016, 03:59:49 AM »
There doesn't seem to be much interest so I'm not going to be running it at this moment.

Offline Train of Naught

• .....and a cockroach
« Reply #1182 on: December 06, 2016, 01:47:32 PM »
/Necro

Periphery have been nominated for a grammy for best metal performance, wtf? Apparently it's with lead single The Price Is Wrong, which is a pretty bad song to be exposed to a more mainstream crowd with if you ask me, but still nice that they made it this far. Their competition is Gojira's Silvera, Korn's Rotting In Vain, Megadeth's Dystopia and Baroness' Shock Me.

Out of these I probably prefer Silvera, but to me the fact that a band from the original starting line-up for Sumerian Records made it as far as a grammy nomination is crazy impressive. Hats off!

Offline jakepriest

« Reply #1183 on: December 06, 2016, 03:33:29 PM »
Yeah that surprised me aswell. If anything I would expect Marigold to be nominated, that song has sick guitar work and is incredibly catchy in a mainstream kind of way.

Out of the line-up I'd say:
Silvera > TPIW > Rotting in Vain > Dystopia > what is this band even?

Offline TioJorge

• Constantly Contorting
« Reply #1184 on: December 06, 2016, 07:09:57 PM »
Whoa! I couldn't possibly give any less of a shit about awards, let alone the fucking Grammys; but it's really awesome in regards to the acknowledgement and exposure. I'll be frank as well and say that it's not the best song to get said exposure but the guys deserve anything they can get and it's fantastic either way. I don't dislike the song as much as most (or perhaps better said as "it isn't as far down on the list of favorites") but I do think songs like Marigold or The Way The News Goes... (and in my wildest of dreams, Absolomb) would be a much better fit for exposure. Again though, they deserve any kind of exposure and it's still a great song in comparison to the others. Not a fan of anything else listed with the great exception to Baroness' Shock Me, which is fantastic. I can't pick a favorite between the two.

RIP DTP.

Offline Cable

« Reply #1185 on: December 15, 2016, 10:02:22 PM »
For some reason, this blew me away.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DDDd5zovN4g
---

Online mikeyd23

« Reply #1186 on: January 17, 2017, 09:52:33 AM »
BUMP

I could never really get into these guys before, I think I got hung up on the vocals and dismissed them...

Recently I gave PIII a chance and holy crap, I am blown away. This album is INSANE, it's so good!

Offline TioJorge

• Constantly Contorting
« Reply #1187 on: January 17, 2017, 10:12:51 AM »
Periphery always deserves a good bump.  :tup :metal

I'm extremely fond of the album myself, it's got some really fantastic tracks and even better moments.

Even though this one is fairly different in certain aspects and what the music focuses on, I'd recommend going backwards if you want to check out the rest of their music. PII is still probably my favorite of theirs. Although Juggernaut has its really heavy moments, it's close to PIII than any of the other albums.

RIP DTP.

Online mikeyd23

« Reply #1188 on: January 17, 2017, 10:17:46 AM »
Periphery always deserves a good bump.  :tup :metal

I'm extremely fond of the album myself, it's got some really fantastic tracks and even better moments.

Even though this one is fairly different in certain aspects and what the music focuses on, I'd recommend going backwards if you want to check out the rest of their music. PII is still probably my favorite of theirs. Although Juggernaut has its really heavy moments, it's close to PIII than any of the other albums.

Yeah, I haven't explored their previous albums much yet. If I like PIII where should I head next? Juggernaut?

Offline Train of Naught

• .....and a cockroach
« Reply #1189 on: January 17, 2017, 10:28:22 AM »
The general consensus among most Periphery fans is that the vocals did indeed improve on every consecutive album. I personally don't like almost any of the vocals on their debut.

Working backwards like Tio said could work, mikey, though I personally prefer "Periphery II: This Time It's Personal" and think is the best follow-up from here.

Yeah, I haven't explored their previous albums much yet. If I like PIII where should I head next? Juggernaut?
Juggernaut is a double 'concept' album. Has some PIII-esque songs but I don't think most of them stick that well initially. PII left a much better first impact on me personally. Though I'm kind of biased since it's my favourite Periphery album (PIII is definitely a contender though)