Author Topic: The Periphery Thread  (Read 199880 times)

Offline jakepriest

Re: The Periphery Thread
« Reply #1120 on: July 15, 2016, 11:40:48 PM »
I wish the album impressed me as much as you. I can easily see me liking this more than PII, but I don't think it has the chance to top Juggernaut or PI for me.
The Price is Wrong is my favourite balls-to-the-walls song on the album though.

Offline TioJorge

• Constantly Contorting
  • Ashes to ashes, fun to funky.
« Reply #1121 on: July 16, 2016, 12:00:16 AM »
I'm really not sure why it clicks so well with me other than this being what I needed right now in my life. I'm not even sure what I mean by that precisely but I can see this being a very wonderful release for me emotionally/mentally; I've needed both the in-your-face viciousness as well as the harmonious serenity that the album has in spades, from the blast beats and solos to the orchestral highs. It just jives with what I've been wanting. It also probably helps that even though I've listened to everything Misha and Periphery have created tons of times by now, I became a massive fan of his and the band very quickly and am still fairly new as a fan. I had just gotten into them a few months before Juggernaut came out so I'm still in the honeymoon phase, if you will. Not that they're like an old band or have been around all that long but I'm sure some (or most?) others here have been a fan longer than I have.

There also seems to be a pretty big gap in people's feelings on Spencer and how I feel. I haven't disliked a single note the guy has sung/screamed yet so that's obviously a big factor. I love his almost boy-bandish pop singing combined with the gritty screams. Especially on this album, his growls/screams have me all tingly; I think he has some of his lowest growls yet on this album, which I love a whole lot. Given that this is their first album that doesn't have an instrumental track (even if it's just an interlude), that makes a pretty big difference.

DTP says "WOW, LOOK AT THAT GREAT POST"
RIP DTP.

Offline jakepriest

« Reply #1122 on: July 16, 2016, 12:05:28 AM »
I think he has some of his lowest growls yet on this album, which I love a whole lot

I think the lowest growl he does is actually on Ragnarok. The "night will bring a ravenous demon" line to be exact. But I'm not really sure.

Offline TioJorge

• Constantly Contorting
« Reply #1123 on: July 16, 2016, 08:18:39 AM »
True knockin', that's a pretty guttural roar.

I love the hell out of Remain Indoors. It might be my favorite right now right alongside The Way The News Goes... Fantastic couple of songs.

RIP DTP.

Offline BlackInk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #1124 on: July 16, 2016, 09:09:43 AM »
Yeah, Remain Indoors was really cool. The first peak of the album for me, where I could safely say "this is my favorite so far".

Offline jakepriest

« Reply #1125 on: July 16, 2016, 09:32:35 AM »
I've gotta say, that electronic breakdown in Remain Indoors is by far my least favourite part of any Periphery song. A shame too because the rest of the song is really really good. It'd be okay if it was like 5 seconds long, but it outstays its welcome really quickly.

Offline Train of Naught

• I sympathize, with a cockroach
  • .....and a cockroach
« Reply #1126 on: July 16, 2016, 10:23:59 AM »
I think Prayer Position is becoming one of my favorite Periphery songs! :metal The chorus is so awesome

This album rocks, surely a contender for AOTY for me.
people on this board are actual music fans who developed taste in music and not casual listeners who are following current fashion trends and listening to only current commercial hits.

Offline BlackInk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #1127 on: July 16, 2016, 05:42:09 PM »
It was better than I thought it was going to be, but it's nowhere near Affinity for me.

Offline ishak540m

« Reply #1128 on: July 19, 2016, 03:23:12 PM »
Periphery's songs, aside from a few here and there, never really draw me in.  They don't have very strong hooks or licks and I'm not crazy about the timbre of his voice.  Ragnarok and Omega are the standouts for me.

Offline Mindflux

• DT.net Veteran
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1129 on: July 21, 2016, 07:54:43 AM »

Offline TioJorge

• Constantly Contorting
« Reply #1130 on: July 23, 2016, 12:52:12 AM »
So a handful of listens later and this is one gorgeous, blood curdling album. I am really in love with the small bits of Misha's orchestral pieces sprinkled in between the usual crushing beats and Spencer's vulgarities. There's a lot of great balance on the album despite the initial "fuck you" of having TPIW and Motormouth (which I love) one after the other. All in all this has got a special place in the trio of main albums. I love that there's a special atmosphere to each album and this one is no different. It's funny because while there's a clear cut and obvious vibe from all of them, PI, II and III all have a completely different feel to them, very much so. The small bits of Bowen's techno beats and Misha's orchestral swoons really make a difference. Not that Bowen's influence is anything new but for some reason it feels more up front than before despite it...not actually being so (at least in reference to PII). I'm not sure how to explain that one... But I like it.

Still soaking it all in but now that I've had some actual time with the full album, it's safe to say that for me this is another reason Periphery is one of my favorite bands.

RIP DTP.

Offline BlackInk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #1131 on: July 23, 2016, 01:43:35 AM »
After listening to this album a few times I can say I that I like it more than I thought I would. None of the early singles really impressed me, but once I could take in the entire album it was a lot better. It's not perfect though, and probably has the most "flaws" of any Periphery album yet, but it's overall good.

While some of the orchestra bits are nice, I don't really think it meshes well with the rest of the music at times. It just feels like Misha is too obsessed with game music that he just had to put it on the album whether it fits the song or not. Sometimes it works though, and when it does it's great.

Also, saw that they're releasing a making-of documentary of the album soon, which is always fun to see. So I'm excited for that.

Offline adace

« Reply #1132 on: July 23, 2016, 02:40:22 AM »
Overall this is a really solid album. A few songs don't really do anything for me (e.g. Motormouth and The Price is Wrong) but others (e.g. Lune and Absolomb) are just magnificent.

Offline jakepriest

« Reply #1133 on: July 23, 2016, 10:32:35 AM »
What I'm really missing from Periphery music these days is the groove. As good as Mark is, his style often feels like "how many notes and slides can I cram into a riff?".

Offline Metro

• DTF Resident Sloth
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • The Sloth Rules
« Reply #1134 on: July 29, 2016, 01:05:20 PM »

Offline BlackInk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #1135 on: July 30, 2016, 01:35:02 AM »
I always like when bands make these documentary things. Or just give us a glimpse of the making-of process. So this was great.

Offline jakepriest

« Reply #1136 on: July 30, 2016, 09:18:26 AM »
I always like when bands make these documentary things. Or just give us a glimpse of the making-of process. So this was great.

Yeah. This was pretty nice. I especially liked the bit where Jake was flaming some poor guy over Destiny.  :lol

Offline BlackInk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #1137 on: July 31, 2016, 02:54:45 AM »
Hahah yeah that was funny.

Offline Train of Naught

• .....and a cockroach
« Reply #1138 on: July 31, 2016, 05:06:30 AM »
If I had to choose right now this instant I'd say P3 is my favorite album of theirs. Not sure how it'll hold up after more listens but I don't think I ever familiarized myself with a non-concept album this quickly.
people on this board are actual music fans who developed taste in music and not casual listeners who are following current fashion trends and listening to only current commercial hits.

Offline BlackInk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #1139 on: July 31, 2016, 06:19:16 AM »
I'd probably say it's my least favorite of their albums, but it's still pretty good.

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
  • Bouncing around the room
« Reply #1140 on: July 31, 2016, 08:16:22 AM »
It's hard for me to rank their albums to be honest. I think Spencer has gotten better on each album and I enjoy his vocal performances and the melodic hooks more with each album, but the first album might still be my favorite. P3 is probably a close second. P2 while great just feels its length for me, but I should give it another spin.

Offline jakepriest

« Reply #1141 on: July 31, 2016, 09:07:38 AM »
Periphery I
Juggernaut
Periphery III
Icarus EP
Periphery II
Clear

It's very easy for me to rank their stuff. Icarus EP has some really underrated tracks (Captain On is sooo good) and I don't really get the love for PII.

Offline BlackInk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #1142 on: July 31, 2016, 10:45:38 AM »
Juggernaut
Periphery
Periphery II
Periphery III
Icarus EP
Clear

Also, I feel I can do this one pretty accurately now:

1. Absolomb
2. Lune
3. Habitual Line-Stepper
4. Remain Indoors
5. Flatline
6. Marigold
7. Motormouth
8. Prayer Position
9. The Way the News Goes...
10. Catch Fire
11. The Price is Wrong

Offline Train of Naught

• .....and a cockroach
« Reply #1143 on: July 31, 2016, 10:59:23 AM »
Ok let's do this:

1. Periphery III
2. Juggernaut
3. Periphery II
4. Icarus EP
5. Periphery I
6. Clear

1. Flatline
2. Prayer Position
3. Marigold
4. Remain Indoors
5. Habitual Line-Stepper
6. The Price Is Wrong
7. Lune
8. Absolomb
9. Catch Fire
10. The Way The News Goes...
11. Motormouth

to elaborate a bit, Motormouth is the only song I'm still not so keen on. Habitual Line-Stepper could've been my #1 but it goes on a bit too long I feel, and Flatline just edged out Prayer Position for #1 today, love 'em both but damn Flatline is just so damn catchy. Biggest grower has actually been Catch Fire, it's still at #9 but after my first listen I hated it

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
  • Bouncing around the room
« Reply #1144 on: July 31, 2016, 11:28:02 AM »
Catch Fire is easily my favorite on the album, probably the most catchy song they've done hands down. Lune and Marigold would round out the top3, both of them are amazing as well.

Offline BlackInk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #1145 on: July 31, 2016, 12:28:31 PM »
The lyric "and join the stars" in Catch Fire is really annoying to me though. The first time around when he instead says "and be alright" is so much better. If they'd kept it like that for all choruses it might have been higher in my rankings.

Oh and he didn't have to say "shotgun" like a dweeb, that also annoys me.

Offline TioJorge

• Constantly Contorting
« Reply #1146 on: July 31, 2016, 01:59:28 PM »
^ I agree with that so fucking much. It sounds so nit-picky on the lyrical point of the "stars" part but man...it's so off putting. Not so much that I don't like the song but it just felt really weird hearing it the first time and it hasn't gotten all that better on numerous other listens. I do really like the groove of the song other than that point though and it's certainly a very out of realm song for them; I appreciate that kind of creativity in a band.

I do like the shotgun part if only because it's so obviously meant to be such a douchebaggy line. In fact, I kind of feel like it's a song that's a parody of itself and I'd love to see if there's anything about it on the making of, I need to watch it soon... If not...that's disappointing, because they do those songs so well even if there's only a handful in their repertoire.

As usual I'll stay out of the rankings. I will say that my most listened to songs are The Way The News Goes... and Remain Indoors. I love those songs a lot, especially TWTNG. Very catchy lines in that one and I love the way they culminate in a harsher musical way at the end with "tears march to lullabies and beat my like a drum"; love that line.

I love the album through and through even though there's some dips. It's definitely an oddball album for them and I totally get why Misha had a couple (or more) lines about being nervous to hear what the fans think of it. I mean, it's really not all that different, but there's something about the atmosphere of the album that is different and the way that the songs are laid out as well as some of their structures. But for the most part it's more of a tweak of their usual format than something like...how Opeth changed. I mean that's obvious but with the way Misha was speaking before it's release, I allllmost expected that kind of change.

But I love the injections of orchestral pieces and I do like the little bits and pieces of changes they made, then they just went ham with Catch Fire. It's funny because you can tell they knew how much of an oddball, left field song that was to put in not only with the length of the song but with its position on the album as well. I think it worked out for the most part, it's just such a troll song, I feel like...and with how the guys are (rather seem to be and how they act on social media), that feeling might be right. I'll have to watch the making of later today.

RIP DTP.

Offline Mosh

• For I have dined on honeydew!
« Reply #1147 on: July 31, 2016, 11:42:14 PM »
Don't really care for the new album. Juggernaut had some really exciting things happening and the band seemed to be evolving and expanding their musical palette a bit. This feels like a step back and a bit generic. There were some neat moments so maybe I'll try it again when I'm in the right mood.
New Animal Soup scifi space opera for fans of Porcupine Tree, Mastodon, Iron Maiden: Chariots of the Gods

https://animalsoup.bandcamp.com/album/chariots-of-the-gods

Offline jakepriest

« Reply #1148 on: August 01, 2016, 12:12:35 AM »
https://youtu.be/WinV5Xj-Y44?t=1m24s

So did they cut this from the album or what? Such a killer riff.

Offline BlackInk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #1149 on: August 01, 2016, 02:20:37 AM »
Oh yeah, forgot about that one. That was like my favorite of the riffs we got a glimpse of before the release.

Offline Metro

• DTF Resident Sloth
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • The Sloth Rules
« Reply #1150 on: August 01, 2016, 03:09:03 AM »
Periphery III: Shrek 2 is a much better album title in my opinion.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1151 on: August 02, 2016, 12:42:33 AM »
Each album from these guys I've been less and less interested in.  The last two were kinda meh but II was awesome and the debut was great too.  I had a listen to this new one and just didn't like it at all.  Maybe my tastes are changing.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline WebRaider

• Like What You Like, People...
« Reply #1152 on: August 02, 2016, 05:31:46 PM »
1. Periphery II
2. Periphery I
3. Periphery III
4. Juggernaut
5. Clear
6. Icarus EP

Offline Cable

« Reply #1153 on: August 02, 2016, 07:10:48 PM »
What I'm really missing from Periphery music these days is the groove. As good as Mark is, his style often feels like "how many notes and slides can I cram into a riff?".

:tup I'm glad finally someone said it. I like his style a lot, and here and there it is awesome (Scarlett and etc.) But I often have the thought "this must be a Mark riff." Yet earlier in this thread, Jake was getting knocked next to Mark when discussing Clear. If anything, factoring in Jake's programming, I really like what he does as a whole. Misha for what it's worth also has a style, like chug some low notes and let ring out two or three dissonant notes (see "The Bad Thing.") With Mark, I love what he does with voicings, and in this band context, he adds a lot.

That said, so far I love this album. Juggernaut is very solid, but like a lot of concept albums for me, it is mostly better digested as a whole. I still will put PII as the best, but I would have no problem having this at the 2B or 2A spot with Juggernaut. The only thing I cannot really get down with is PI. I do enjoy Clear a lot.
« Last Edit: August 10, 2016, 08:44:46 PM by CableX »
---

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
« Reply #1154 on: August 10, 2016, 03:50:50 PM »
Anyone see this tour yet? I cheated and looked at the setlist, can't wait for Sunday :caffeine: