Author Topic: The Periphery Thread  (Read 200859 times)

Offline jakepriest

Re: The Periphery Thread
« Reply #1085 on: July 13, 2016, 12:07:30 PM »
I'm not loving any of the three new songs, and unforntunately it's all because of Spencer. I've been a defender of him since I first got to know the band and he was awesome on Juggernaut, but here he does a concerning amount of annoying things on just these three singles. The songs all have good moments, but overall I'm not really feeling it.

I agree on Flatline even though I like it a lot more than The Price Is Wrong as a song, Spencer can get pretty annoying on that song. Marigold is flawless though, I don't think there's a single vocal line in that song I don't love.

Offline BlackInk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #1086 on: July 13, 2016, 01:05:17 PM »
"We aaaare yah-hah-houng" bothers me. Otherwise Marigold is pretty good.

Offline Mindflux

• DT.net Veteran
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1087 on: July 13, 2016, 01:38:18 PM »
So far 3 songs I'm not super fond of.  :corn

Offline Metro

• DTF Resident Sloth
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Operation: Slothcrime
« Reply #1088 on: July 13, 2016, 09:16:07 PM »
https://twitter.com/MarkPeriphery/status/753425354849681408

Looks like we're getting a fourth song, "Motormouth" tomorrow
« Last Edit: July 13, 2016, 09:39:16 PM by Metropolaris »

Offline Train of Naught

• I sympathize, with a cockroach
  • .....and a cockroach
« Reply #1089 on: July 14, 2016, 10:10:27 AM »
And here it is: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gSPw6QtDcCs&feature=youtu.be

Motormouth, damn. It's quite heavy, probably moreso than The Price Is Wrong, didn't expect that.

After one listen I'd say it's my least favorite of the four but pretty good, still convinced that this'll end up in my top 5 albums of the year at least!
people on this board are actual music fans who developed taste in music and not casual listeners who are following current fashion trends and listening to only current commercial hits.

Offline Mindflux

• DT.net Veteran
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1090 on: July 14, 2016, 10:12:32 AM »
Sigh. Now 0/4 on these.

Offline TioJorge

• Constantly Contorting
  • Ashes to ashes, fun to funky.
« Reply #1091 on: July 14, 2016, 10:13:55 AM »
Holy shit that was fucking awesome. This album has such a spectacular balance thus far, which I realllly love. Yeah, if the rest of the songs are anything like those released thus far, this is going to be my album of the year far more than likely. Even with the songs released so far I'm loving it. Gorgeous song; it balances out Marigold just as Flatline balanced out TPIW.

DTP says "WOW, LOOK AT THAT GREAT POST"
RIP DTP.

Offline jakepriest

« Reply #1092 on: July 14, 2016, 10:25:12 AM »
Motormouth instrumentally definitely feels like something that could be on PI. I would say it's my least favourite out of the four so far. Outro is really good though.
Also goddamn Spencer's vocals near the end are annoying.

Offline BlackInk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #1093 on: July 14, 2016, 12:03:37 PM »
I don't really know how to rank this one yet, the only thing I can say this soon is that I probably like it more than The Price is Wrong.

But isn't it an a bit poor album structure decision to put this one directly after TPiW? The two basically have the exact same vibe and both almost only harsh vocals.

Offline jakepriest

« Reply #1094 on: July 14, 2016, 12:47:29 PM »
I don't really know how to rank this one yet, the only thing I can say this soon is that I probably like it more than The Price is Wrong.

But isn't it an a bit poor album structure decision to put this one directly after TPiW? The two basically have the exact same vibe and both almost only harsh vocals.

Mark said on his livestream that they wanted a really in-your-face album, so I guess that's why they made it start off really heavy.

Offline BlackInk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #1095 on: July 14, 2016, 01:19:08 PM »
Maybe it's that overall in-your-faciness of this album that makes me not love these new tracks. Whenever I've tried to figure out why I'm not super fond of them I haven't been able to come up with anything better than "it's just too much". But maybe that's exactly why.

Offline Metro

• DTF Resident Sloth
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Operation: Slothcrime
« Reply #1096 on: July 14, 2016, 07:18:33 PM »

Offline jakepriest

« Reply #1097 on: July 14, 2016, 08:22:51 PM »
If Spencer doesn't ruin Absolomb then it might be one of the best Periphery songs imo, because the demo is perfect.

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
  • tdjghjjkhliòujoàupougjyufkuyrkuyt
« Reply #1098 on: July 14, 2016, 10:17:55 PM »
i gave all four singles a listen and man i just don't care about any of them. wasn't planning on getting this album anyways so ehh  :corn

Offline TioJorge

• Constantly Contorting
« Reply #1099 on: July 14, 2016, 10:26:56 PM »
 :metal :metal :metal

RIP DTP.

Offline BlackInk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #1100 on: July 15, 2016, 12:33:15 AM »
If Spencer doesn't ruin Absolomb then it might be one of the best Periphery songs imo, because the demo is perfect.

Agreed. That demo is great.

Offline Train of Naught

• .....and a cockroach
« Reply #1101 on: July 15, 2016, 01:02:46 AM »
Another new song tomorrow?
https://twitter.com/SPENCESOTELO/status/753726090963775488
7 songs left, so 1 new song every day leading up to the 22nd when the full album is released? One can hope :metal
people on this board are actual music fans who developed taste in music and not casual listeners who are following current fashion trends and listening to only current commercial hits.

Offline BlackInk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #1102 on: July 15, 2016, 06:54:21 AM »
Or a full album stream. They've been pretty early with that before I think. Don't remember if it's been this early though.

Offline Mindflux

• DT.net Veteran
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1103 on: July 15, 2016, 10:02:22 AM »

Offline jakepriest

« Reply #1104 on: July 15, 2016, 10:10:32 AM »
Meh. I would call the piano outro my favourite part of the song. Not impressed with this one.

Offline BlackInk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #1105 on: July 15, 2016, 10:43:34 AM »
Some good parts, some annoying parts.

Offline jakepriest

« Reply #1106 on: July 15, 2016, 11:26:58 AM »
I don't get why they chose to put a blastbeat under the main vocal harmony. Like... it sounds terrible in my opinion.  :lol

Offline TioJorge

• Constantly Contorting
« Reply #1107 on: July 15, 2016, 11:35:25 AM »
Another fantastic song. I think at the end of soaking this whole album through, it miiiight be my favorite if this keeps up. That's a tall order but thus far I'm loving the hell out of these songs through and through. I'm especially enjoying Spencer's vocals combined with the more orchestral and melodic arrangements. Fuckin' A.  :millahhhh :metal :heart

RIP DTP.

Offline WebRaider

• Like What You Like, People...
« Reply #1108 on: July 15, 2016, 11:52:32 AM »
Apparently the album is for sale today at an event at the Chicago Open Air Festival so expect full leaks by this evening lol... not that anyone would listen to such things.  :police:

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10154386626224533&set=a.10150690231189533.421168.506719532&type=3&theater

Offline TioJorge

• Constantly Contorting
« Reply #1109 on: July 15, 2016, 11:56:04 AM »
Whaaaat!? That is a beautiful set up there. Well shit.

RIP DTP.

Offline jakepriest

« Reply #1110 on: July 15, 2016, 11:58:48 AM »
It has already leaked in full tbh...

Offline Train of Naught

• .....and a cockroach
« Reply #1111 on: July 15, 2016, 12:47:10 PM »
New song is fine, but that blastbeat is really weird and out of place :lol probably my least favorite song along with Motorbreath though. I guess I'll give the album a listen tonight because I'm too hyped

Offline Luoto

• Wandering midget
« Reply #1112 on: July 15, 2016, 01:25:03 PM »
Extreme metal doesn't "own" blastbeats anymore. That song probably overuses the clean vocal combination though.
Always too soon, always too late, always in between.

Offline mikeyd23

« Reply #1113 on: July 15, 2016, 01:28:25 PM »
I tend to like clean vocals more than harsh, so I dug that new tune.

Offline BlackInk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #1114 on: July 15, 2016, 02:54:15 PM »

Thankfully this didn't happen, and Absolomb is one of the album's best. People have been saying that they're getting P1 vibes from the songs, but I haven't really heard it until Absolomb. Yeah, this is quite P1ish, which makes sense.

Offline Train of Naught

• .....and a cockroach
« Reply #1115 on: July 15, 2016, 03:15:11 PM »
I've heard all but the last song of the album and it's pretty good! Some great songs including aforementioned Absolomb, habotual line-stepper and Prayer Positon. I think Catch Fire is terrible though

Offline BlackInk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #1116 on: July 15, 2016, 03:24:49 PM »
I actually enjoyed Catch Fire. Not one of the best, but still pretty cool at times. Lune is probably my favorite at the moment though. Less guitar acrobatics, more groove, just the way I like it.

The second half of the album is a lot better than the first.

Offline jakepriest

« Reply #1117 on: July 15, 2016, 08:41:04 PM »
Yeah, Catch Fire was pretty good. The entire second half of the album I found pretty good tbh.
This album is gonna take a lot of listens to digest though (as did PI and PII for me), Juggernaut was much more obvious in that regard.

And yeah, Absolomb is my favourite track so far. Definitely something that could be on PI instrumentally.

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
  • tdjghjjkhliòujoàupougjyufkuyrkuyt
« Reply #1118 on: July 15, 2016, 11:18:13 PM »
the blastbeat thing on the new song actually sounds cool, like, an actually distinguishable moment in the song too
nothing else really stands out, all stuff they've done before

Offline TioJorge

• Constantly Contorting
« Reply #1119 on: July 15, 2016, 11:35:33 PM »
I can't see this being topped for AOTY for me. I really can't pick out a track that I didn't love, and although there are a couple moments that I didn't like as much as the others, I loved almost every moment. Catch Fire didn't wow me as much as the rest and it'll take some time to get used to that interesting style, and TPIW, while I like, is my least favorite out of the harsher songs. Other than those two minor things, this album had me feeling the feels and grooving hard with the bumps of geese throughout. Fucking brilliant and sexy as hell.

I really like The Way The News Goes..., especially the ending harmonies with "...somethingsomething and beat me like a drum".  :lol I really need the lyrics to this album bad. But that string of lyrics is so slick.

Even though this album has me hooked quickly, I still feel like there's a lot to soak in, especially with the longer tracks; mainly Absolomb, Habitual Line-Stepper and Lune. Exceeded my expectations though.  :heart :heart :heart :metal :metal :millahhhh :millahhhh :millahhhh :millahhhh :millahhhh

RIP DTP.