Author Topic: The Death thread V. I couldn't find one  (Read 19377 times)

Online twosuitsluke

• Dovie'andi se tovya sagain
Re: The Death thread V. I couldn't find one
« Reply #105 on: March 02, 2021, 10:58:13 AM »
Anyway, I recently watched the Death documentary that is on Amazon Prime (Death By Metal) and it's given me a greater appreciation of the band. But also made me realise that Chuck actually seemed really difficult to work with, as well as being a bit troubled. It was definitely such a tragedy that he died so young!

Huh, never heard of that.. but thank you. I have just spent the first two hours of my day off watching it.

Yea I had no idea it was even a thing, let alone on Prime. I'd actually gone on to watch a 'ska punk in the 90s' documentary that I'd seen someone post about on Facebook. I had to pay extra so decided not to bother, but then it recommended me loads of other music documentaries. There are some relatively obscure band ones on there.

I loved the Death one, and have been on a bit of a kick since. I'm also about half way through the thrash one  :metal

Offline WildRanger

« Reply #106 on: March 02, 2021, 11:05:32 AM »
I'm not into death metal. But I don't mind early Death and much prefer their latter period, from Human to The Sound of Perseverance. Symbolic is amazing and very creative extreme metal record. 
Chuck Schuldiner is one of the best metal musicians.

Online twosuitsluke

• Dovie'andi se tovya sagain
« Reply #107 on: March 02, 2021, 12:42:35 PM »
I'm not into death metal. But I don't mind early Death and much prefer their latter period, from Human to The Sound of Perseverance. Symbolic is amazing and very creative extreme metal record. 

Did we just agree on something?!  :lol

Online DTA

« Reply #108 on: March 02, 2021, 02:45:46 PM »
Thanks for the documentary recommendation...I've been a Death fan since I was a kid and never even knew this thing existed. I was lucky enough to see them on TSoP tour in Philly in '98 and even got to meet the entire band at a signing at a record shop on South Street. We found (a probably high) Richard Christy wandering around later on looking for a place to get cheesesteaks (or McDonalds?) Symbolic is still their best record imo but the drumming on the last 4 albums was absolutely stunning with Christy's performance especially being overwhelmingly technical and difficult to recreate.

Offline WildRanger

« Reply #109 on: March 02, 2021, 03:11:41 PM »

Did we just agree on something?!  :lol

It seems so.  ;D

Offline ProfessorPeart

• MP.com Refugee
  • Lubed In The Face
« Reply #110 on: March 18, 2021, 06:42:47 PM »
Since I resurrected this thread, I figured I'd document my thoughts as I have listened to Leprosy through Control Denied.

As of now, my top 3 are Individual Thought Patterns, Human and Fragile Art. I enjoyed all of the others, with one caveat. I wish that Chuck would have either sung Perseverance in his earlier voice or that it had been a Control Denied record with Tim singing. I got a very Warrel Dane vibe from Tim, like a more palatable Warrel - if you get what I mean. I know some people aren't fond of Warrel's voice. I found Chuck's screaming a little off-putting. I prefer his more growly approach.

Chuck was quite the talent. I'm very glad I took the plunge into his work. I know that I would have been huge on Control Denied if they had been able to continue. That sound is just so in my wheelhouse.

I will also mention that my copy of ITP has a very well recorded concert from Germany on 4/13/93. I wasn't expecting much, but it is a quality recording.
beul ni teh efac = Lube In The Face / That has to be wrong.  :lol / EDIT: Oh, it's Blue! I'm an idiot.
Pardon the interruption, but I just had to run in and celebrate the majesty of Lube in the Face as highest moment in roulette history

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #111 on: March 19, 2021, 05:49:55 AM »
I love his voice of TSOP but love his older voice too.  My 3 are probably TSOP, ITP and Symbolic, but Human would go head to head with Symbolic.

I'll have to check the deluxe version to see if that concert is included.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline LudwigVan

• Proglodyte
« Reply #112 on: March 19, 2021, 10:09:15 AM »
I think that 3-album run of Human - ITP - Symbolic was the band’s peak.
"There is nothing more difficult than talking about music."
--Camille Saint-Saëns

“All the good music has already been written by people with wigs and stuff.”
--Frank Zappa

Offline ProfessorPeart

• MP.com Refugee
  • Lubed In The Face
« Reply #113 on: March 19, 2021, 10:46:05 PM »

I'll have to check the deluxe version to see if that concert is included.

The lineup on it is Ralph Santolla, DiGiorgio and Hoglan. About the only fault I can give the recording is Hoglan's snare sounds a little off, otherwise, the recording and mix is really release quality to me.
beul ni teh efac = Lube In The Face / That has to be wrong.  :lol / EDIT: Oh, it's Blue! I'm an idiot.
Pardon the interruption, but I just had to run in and celebrate the majesty of Lube in the Face as highest moment in roulette history

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Online Grappler

• Victory, Illinois Varsity
« Reply #115 on: October 30, 2021, 07:49:23 PM »
I saw that this morning - so sad.  He did a great job with the re-issues of all of the albums. 

Weird timing - I've been binging on a lot of Death and Control Denied after seeing that Human was released 30 years ago.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Online SoundscapeMN

« Reply #117 on: February 14, 2023, 07:50:03 PM »
bump.

not Death, but related, some sad news, Control Denied singer Tim Aymar has died.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tjXSA43AGxI

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #118 on: February 14, 2023, 07:58:40 PM »
bump.

not Death, but related, some sad news, Control Denied singer Tim Aymar has died.

I wasn't so much into Control Denied but loved Pharaoh back in the day.

I cannot find any evidence to corroborate that story re his death at this stage - hopefully not true.
"I would just like to say that after all these years of heavy drinking, bright lights and late nights, I still don't need glasses. I drink right out of the bottle." - DLR

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Online SoundscapeMN

« Reply #119 on: February 14, 2023, 10:01:50 PM »
bump.

I wasn't so much into Control Denied but loved Pharaoh back in the day.

I cannot find any evidence to corroborate that story re his death at this stage - hopefully not true.

the family may not have gone public with it, but there's multiple links that mention his passing including from 1 of his former bandmates and friends Matt Johnsen
https://pmx2.krose.org/forum?action=view&forum_id=1&message_id=577845

Offline abydos

• DT.net
« Reply #120 on: February 15, 2023, 01:00:49 AM »
It's on the Death facebook page too https://www.facebook.com/DeathOfficial/posts/769095307913315

Damn... I love Control Denied and his performance on it.

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #121 on: February 15, 2023, 03:10:56 AM »
Sad to hear that.......had a very distinctive vocal presence and by all accounts was a ripper guy.  :sad:
"I would just like to say that after all these years of heavy drinking, bright lights and late nights, I still don't need glasses. I drink right out of the bottle." - DLR

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Online Grappler

• Victory, Illinois Varsity
« Reply #122 on: February 15, 2023, 07:04:08 AM »
The Control Denied album is what got me into Chuck Schuldiner's music.  At the time, I couldn't stand growled vocals, but loved the idea of a death metal guy doing more of a melodic/power metal record with a different singer. 

I'll be listening to Control Denied today.  RIP Tim.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #123 on: February 15, 2023, 07:52:43 AM »
The Control Denied album is what got me into Chuck Schuldiner's music.  At the time, I couldn't stand growled vocals, but loved the idea of a death metal guy doing more of a melodic/power metal record with a different singer. 

Same for me.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline nick_z

« Reply #124 on: February 15, 2023, 07:51:14 PM »
Very sad news  :-[

Big fan of the Pharaoh's records. In fact, I've always enjoyed Aymar's vocals on those better than on the Control Denied album.

(since we are talking about that too - I like it, but imo it can't quite touch Death's best material. Also, not a huge fan of Sound of Perseverance, so that might be part of it...my sweet spot is with the Human-Individual Thought Patterns-Symbolic run...as good as it gets)

Online LithoJazzoSphere

• DT.net Veteran
  • Placid Eruption
« Reply #125 on: February 15, 2023, 08:58:07 PM »
This is quite a loss, I really enjoyed both Control Denied and some of his work with Pharaoh. 

Online billboy73

« Reply #126 on: February 16, 2023, 08:14:14 AM »
I have always loved that Control Denied record.  I always kept meaning to check out Pharaoh, but never did.  I finally listened to some of their stuff and it was pretty solid.  I have never been a huge power metal guy, but Tim's vocals were great.

RIP Tim.

Sad that they were never able to finish the 2nd Control Denied record due to a myriad of issues...