Author Topic: The Death thread V. I couldn't find one  (Read 19382 times)

Offline adace

Re: The Death thread V. I couldn't find one
« Reply #70 on: July 17, 2013, 03:03:27 PM »
Bumping this because Human is awesome. :metal
Yes :metal

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #71 on: July 18, 2013, 05:38:56 AM »
I still think what amazing music Chuck would have been doing now if he didn't get ill.  His passing still makes me sad, way too young.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline Jaq

• Favorite song by Europe: Carrie.
« Reply #72 on: July 18, 2013, 09:01:20 AM »
I think what's even more amazing is how much awesome music he made at such a YOUNG age. He was, what, 34 when he died? That means he recorded some of the most influential death metal albums ever-including my favorite death metal album period, Human-before he was 25 years old. What he did was fantastic, what he could have done? Probably would have been legendary.
The bones of beasts and the bones of kings become dust in the wake of the hymn.
Mighty kingdoms rise, but they all will fall, no more than a breath on the wind.

Offline Mister Gold

• The Makers of Our Own Destiny
  • Human
« Reply #73 on: July 18, 2013, 09:41:34 AM »
I still think what amazing music Chuck would have been doing now if he didn't get ill.  His passing still makes me sad, way too young.

Definitely. I know that most songwriters eventually lose their touch over time, but had he lived, I don't think that would've happened with Chuck. While not every fan likes the latter Death albums or Control Denied, I think it's impossible for those individuals to sincerely call those albums 'bad'. The same can said for the earlier Death albums too. While I'm not a big fan of Scream Bloody Gore or Leprosy, I can at least listen to those albums and at least recognize that they're fantastic albums for what Chuck was going for at the time. That guy always held himself and the band to high standards and I think that would've remained the case had he lived.

I sincerely believe that Chuck Schuldiner was the Stanley Kubrick of Metal. :metal
Beyond the limits of the mortal frame
To the farthest boundary of eternity
Where I, the Cosmic Sea
Watch the little ego floating in me.

Offline aprilethereal

« Reply #74 on: July 19, 2013, 09:46:25 AM »
I got The Sound Of Perseverance about a week ago, it's a kickass album :metal
My first album by these guys.

Offline black_biff_stadler

• 6th place finalist at New Orleans Skullet Fest 2010
  • DT.net Member
  • blackwater_floyd, get it?
« Reply #75 on: July 19, 2013, 02:00:38 PM »
Took me A WHILE to get used to the CobraCommandercore vocals but I love it now. Story to Tell and Flesh and the Power it Holds form a legendary 1-2 punch.
Users who've sigged me (Join today!): LCArenas, Jakartabassplayer, LeeHarveyKennedy, Global Laziness, Portrucci, obscure, FlyingBIZKIT, alirocker08, senecadawg2, DebraKadabra, JayOctavarium, Cedar redaC, (almost) bout to crash, ? (the forum member, not the fucking punctuation mark), Zeltar, lonestar, ASacrificedSon

Offline Shadow Ninja 2.0

• Heir Transparent
  • Transcribing Existence Rivets
« Reply #76 on: July 19, 2013, 02:02:59 PM »
Honestly, when I first listened to The Sound Of Perseverance, I thought it was a girl doing the vocals.

Offline aprilethereal

« Reply #77 on: July 19, 2013, 02:37:40 PM »
:lol

Offline Dark Castle

• DTF.org Member
  • SmegmaPrincessX
« Reply #78 on: July 19, 2013, 10:02:13 PM »
The Sound of Perseverance >>> errything

• DT.net Member
« Reply #79 on: July 20, 2013, 03:32:15 PM »
Except for Symbolic.
Users who've sigged me (Join today!): LCArenas, Jakartabassplayer, LeeHarveyKennedy, Global Laziness, Portrucci, obscure, FlyingBIZKIT, alirocker08, senecadawg2, DebraKadabra, JayOctavarium, Cedar redaC, (almost) bout to crash, ? (the forum member, not the fucking punctuation mark), Zeltar, lonestar, ASacrificedSon

Offline Shadow Ninja 2.0

• Heir Transparent
« Reply #80 on: July 20, 2013, 03:34:50 PM »

Offline The King in Crimson

• Stuck in a glass dome since 1914!
  • Mr. Sandman, Give Me A Dream

Offline Shadow Ninja 2.0

• Heir Transparent
« Reply #82 on: July 20, 2013, 04:04:33 PM »
I actually haven't heard Symbolic, so I can't comment on the veracity of that statement.

Offline The King in Crimson

• Stuck in a glass dome since 1914!
  • Mr. Sandman, Give Me A Dream
« Reply #83 on: July 20, 2013, 04:47:03 PM »
I actually haven't heard Symbolic, so I can't comment on the veracity of that statement.

Offline Dark Castle

• DTF.org Member
  • SmegmaPrincessX
« Reply #84 on: July 20, 2013, 05:00:53 PM »
TSoP is just the peak of Death, every album showed growth and new ideas and TSoP was perfect in every way.

Offline jammindude

« Reply #85 on: July 20, 2013, 05:17:16 PM »
I had been listening to death metal along side my thrash phase through the late 80's.   But it really hit a peak in about '92 after Metallica sold out.   The whole late fall I was listening to almost nothing but death metal.      Then in early '93, I just got sick of it.   A constant barrage of anger, hate and frustration was really just getting to me.     I still pull out some stuff from time to time, but in much smaller portions these days.

I bring this up because it was right about that time that Death started to change...so I subsequently missed out on their progressive shift.   I had listened to Leprosy and Spiritual Healing non-stop...and SH in particular was probably my all time favorite death metal album.   (very close with Slowly We Rot by Obituary)

I had only heard a bit of Human, and what I had heard I liked, but I never listened to anything beyond that.  I should probably give the final three at least a couple of spins.
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

• DT.net Member
« Reply #86 on: July 20, 2013, 08:49:51 PM »
First chance you get, listen to track 4 from Individual Thought Patterns, Trapped in a Corner. Thank me later.

Offline Lowdz

« Reply #87 on: July 21, 2013, 01:58:25 AM »
Just dropping in as the forum's resident hair metal fan to say TSoP is a masterpiece.
I'm a fan of Control Denied too.

• DT.net Member
« Reply #88 on: July 21, 2013, 02:08:42 AM »
That shocks the fuck out of me in the heartwarmingest of ways, Lowdz. I'm always thrilled to see folks whom have primarily dwelled in other scenes enjoying stuff I like as well.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #89 on: July 21, 2013, 03:59:05 AM »
First chance you get, listen to track 4 from Individual Thought Patterns, Trapped in a Corner. Thank me later.

My favourite album from them I'd say.  Andy's solo in that song is out of this world.

And, Symbolic >> Human

Offline Lowdz

« Reply #90 on: July 21, 2013, 05:29:25 AM »
That shocks the fuck out of me in the heartwarmingest of ways, Lowdz. I'm always thrilled to see folks whom have primarily dwelled in other scenes enjoying stuff I like as well.

Surprised the crap out of me too!  ;D
Great music is great music though. The musicianship is stellar.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #91 on: July 21, 2013, 06:12:13 AM »
Have you tried any of their other albums Paul?

Offline Mister Gold

• Human
« Reply #92 on: July 21, 2013, 11:28:45 AM »
Just dropping in as the forum's resident hair metal fan to say TSoP is a masterpiece.
I'm a fan of Control Denied too.

Woot woot! Symbolic is also brilliant! :metal
Where I, the Cosmic Sea

Offline Lowdz

« Reply #93 on: July 21, 2013, 01:40:03 PM »
Have you tried any of their other albums Paul?

I've sampled some but nothing really spoke to me. Too "death" for me  ;D

Offline jammindude

« Reply #94 on: July 21, 2013, 01:42:21 PM »

Listening to it now, and really digging it.

I always figured anything involving Gene Hoglan could only be improved by his inclusion.   I was a *HUGE* fan of Dark Angel, and Gene has always been among the very best drummers in the history of thrash....Possibly even *the* best.   Dave Lombardo and Greg Hall are the only ones I've heard to even come close.    Well....Blake Richardson....but I almost consider him to be in a different genre.   And Tomas Haake deserves an honorable mention as well...though again, totally different style of music.
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Offline Ultimetalhead

• The Mighty Masturbator
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • .ay rof dab s'ti dna...
« Reply #95 on: July 24, 2013, 03:04:24 AM »
Leprosy is still the best death metal album ever.
Orion....that's the one with a bunch of power chords and boringly harsh vocals, isn't it?
LOOK AT THIS AWESOME SHIT AHHHHHH

Offline XB0BX

« Reply #96 on: November 16, 2013, 08:48:00 AM »
Has anyone heard anything (within the past year) about When Man and Machine Collide? You would always hear rumors that they were restarting the recordings, but it seems like nothing ever comes to fruition. The idea of unreleased, original Chuck Schuldiner tunes has been haunting me for years.

Offline Mister Gold

• Human
« Reply #97 on: November 16, 2013, 09:28:25 AM »
Has anyone heard anything (within the past year) about When Man and Machine Collide? You would always hear rumors that they were restarting the recordings, but it seems like nothing ever comes to fruition. The idea of unreleased, original Chuck Schuldiner tunes has been haunting me for years.

They announced almost a year ago that they had finally gone into the studio to record the rest of the album, but there hasn't been much word on it since then. I contacted Tim Aymar on Facebook back in the Spring about it and this was his response:

Tim Aymar The best person from the band to ask would be Shannon Hamm. He's been working along with Jim and restoring the tracks and getting them ready to sing on.
Unlike · Reply · 2 · May 29 at 5:25am

So that's that. Another thing to consider is that these guys aren't rich and I'm guessing it's costing them a pretty penny to do all of this. Hopefully we'll get the album next year. Trust me, the wait's been driving me nuts too. :tup
Where I, the Cosmic Sea

Offline Mister Gold

• Human
« Reply #98 on: March 30, 2014, 12:34:19 PM »
Been on a Death kick lately. I dare say that Human might be my favorite album of theirs now. I'm not entirely sure. It's definitely between Human and Symbolic though.
Where I, the Cosmic Sea

Offline Dark Castle

• DTF.org Member
  • SmegmaPrincessX
« Reply #99 on: March 25, 2015, 09:21:22 AM »
Scott Clandenin, the bassist on The Sound of Perseverance has passed away at 48 :(
Really sad to hear this, The Sound of Perseverance holds some of my favorite bass work of all time.

Offline Mister Gold

• Human
« Reply #100 on: March 25, 2015, 10:16:35 AM »
Scott Clandenin, the bassist on The Sound of Perseverance has passed away at 48 :(
Really sad to hear this, The Sound of Perseverance holds some of my favorite bass work of all time.

Yeah, I saw that on Facebook last night (I'm friends with Bobby Koeble and Shannon Hamm there, so I saw the news on their pages). It's very tragic. :( It especially sucks knowing that half of the band responsible for one of my all-time favorite albums ever is now dead.

Clendenin had the unfortunate task of following up performances from the great Steve DiGiorgio on that album and he really nailed it. Easily the best bassist Death ever had, I think, aside from DiGiorgio himself. :metal
Where I, the Cosmic Sea

Offline ProfessorPeart

• MP.com Refugee
  • Lubed In The Face
« Reply #101 on: March 01, 2021, 10:41:24 PM »
Mega-bump.

Finally started checking out Death and Control Denied. Actually, think I did many years ago and was turned off by the vocals. Now I am much more open to the style. I have now ordered Leprosy through Perseverance and the Control Denied album. I was actually most interested in ITP as it has DiGiorgio and Hoglan, as they were the stars on the last Testament album, in my opinion.

All of the reissues were really cheap, which surprised me. Most are 2 disc sets. The only one I struggled with was Symbolic. Luckily, I was able to grab a used copy off of Discogs as it appears very rare.

Don't expect much traction on the thread, but I am looking forward to digging into Chuck's catalog.
beul ni teh efac = Lube In The Face / That has to be wrong.  :lol / EDIT: Oh, it's Blue! I'm an idiot.
Pardon the interruption, but I just had to run in and celebrate the majesty of Lube in the Face as highest moment in roulette history

Offline twosuitsluke

• Dovie'andi se tovya sagain
« Reply #102 on: March 02, 2021, 12:46:28 AM »
I've been digging Death again recently. I've always loved The Sound of Perseverance but felt that all the other albums were a bit samey (although still very good).

Death are easily my favourite death metal band. I love different melo-death/tech-death/progressive-death bands but Death are the only real, straight up death metal band I like. I suppose something like Bolt Thrower or Obituary are the next closest. Now that I think about it, I guess it's because they never really were a straight up death metal band, they always had Progressive elements, which is what drew me to them I guess.

Anyway, I recently watched the Death documentary that is on Amazon Prime (Death By Metal) and it's given me a greater appreciation of the band. But also made me realise that Chuck actually seemed really difficult to work with, as well as being a bit troubled. It was definitely such a tragedy that he died so young!

Offline Grappler

• Victory, Illinois Varsity
« Reply #103 on: March 02, 2021, 06:44:40 AM »
It took me a long time to get into the band.  Control Denied was my intro.  Chuck's music with a more melodic singer. 

The Sound of Perseverance was next, since it sounds just like Control Denied with Chuck singing.  It was on from there and I just went backwards until I eventually acquired them all.  They're such a fantastic band and Chuck was unbelievably talented. 

Scream/Leprosy/Spiritual Healing were similar in nature, and then the albums after that become more technical.

Another great band in this style is Gruesome.  They started as a project after the main guy sang on one of the Death For All tours.  He decided to create a band that was a tribute to Death - each album/EP is written specifically in the style of a Death album. 

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #104 on: March 02, 2021, 07:28:23 AM »
Anyway, I recently watched the Death documentary that is on Amazon Prime (Death By Metal) and it's given me a greater appreciation of the band. But also made me realise that Chuck actually seemed really difficult to work with, as well as being a bit troubled. It was definitely such a tragedy that he died so young!

Huh, never heard of that.. but thank you. I have just spent the first two hours of my day off watching it.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol