Author Topic: DELAIN  (Read 31249 times)

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
Re: DELAIN
« Reply #315 on: January 30, 2023, 02:56:19 PM »
 :metal :metal

I didn't fluff or make anything up in that write up.  I genuinely like the album quite a bit.  I think Delain fans who approach with an open mind to the new band, will be happy.  It's a Delain album through and through.  Diana sounds quite like Charlotte to make it an easy pill to swallow.  The last 4 tracks are really strong though. Makes me think this new version of the band can quickly get back to where they left off in 2020.

Also, Marko returns for a song!  :metal :metal

This was from 2022, but a full show with the new band.... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nd1_ZbeLM6U she does the older songs very well from what I've watched so far

I watched/listened to this concert a few times after many listens to the album. Helped me figure out the new band a bit better, specifically, the use of Paolo Ribaldini who adds voclas on a couple new songs (including the single Beneath).  Based on how he's used on the album and what I see from this concert, it's almost like they are trying to make a permanent "Marko" style singer in the band (or think about how Timo started singing leads on the previous album), or at least to have a live touring member to do all those parts.  I'd say he's fantastic on the small parts he has on this album.  It really stood out to me.

Offline NunoTenniscourt

• President of my uncle's Anti-Nepotism Organization
« Reply #316 on: February 08, 2023, 09:13:56 AM »

I haven't heard the new album yet, but it seems promising so far.

Diana is pretty hot, too. She strikes me as the kind of girl who won't surprise us with a shaved head out of nowhere, too, which is nice.

Offline soupytwist

• Star Trekkin
« Reply #317 on: February 08, 2023, 09:34:01 AM »
Looking forward to hearing this - the 4 reviews I've read so so have been 3 very positive (inc cramx3) and 1 middling.  Gotta be honest and say I found Moonbathers and Apocalypse & Chill weaker than their earlier material.  So hopefully this album can be one of the surprises of the year.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #318 on: February 08, 2023, 09:46:19 AM »
Looking forward to hearing this - the 4 reviews I've read so so have been 3 very positive (inc cramx3) and 1 middling.  Gotta be honest and say I found Moonbathers and Apocalypse & Chill weaker than their earlier material.  So hopefully this album can be one of the surprises of the year.

I really liked both of those albums, not sure it's going to change your opinion, but if you enjoyed the singles them maybe you'll like this.

Diana is pretty hot, too. She strikes me as the kind of girl who won't surprise us with a shaved head out of nowhere, too, which is nice.

Diana is easy on the eyes for sure, but I'm not sure this is as important as her singing and stage presence.  She seemed decent on that one live show I shared, but not sure how she'll hold up and perform on an actual tour outside the band's home country.  I've got nothing against Charlotte's looks (although the baldness isn't attractive to me). 

Offline soupytwist

• Star Trekkin
« Reply #319 on: February 09, 2023, 09:20:33 AM »

I really liked both of those albums, not sure it's going to change your opinion, but if you enjoyed the singles them maybe you'll like this.

Oh I liked those albums too, I just didn't like them as much as the previous ones.

Offline Grappler

• Victory, Illinois Varsity
« Reply #320 on: February 10, 2023, 06:33:22 AM »
I really love this new album - the last time the band really delivered something like this was with The Human Contradiction.  Really strong songs, great vocals and catchy choruses.  I'm not really missing Charlotte at all, and Diana certainly does have similar qualities to her voice, so there isn't a drastic difference. 

Beneath is my favorite so far. 

Offline ErHaO

« Reply #321 on: February 10, 2023, 06:38:10 AM »
I don't know much from Delain, but the new album is great in my opinion. Decided to give it a try after the single I heard and I really enjoy it.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #322 on: February 10, 2023, 09:08:59 AM »
I really love this new album - the last time the band really delivered something like this was with The Human Contradiction.  Really strong songs, great vocals and catchy choruses.  I'm not really missing Charlotte at all, and Diana certainly does have similar qualities to her voice, so there isn't a drastic difference. 

Beneath is my favorite so far.

The only reason I didn't push my album ranking from 8 to 9 out of 10 is because I felt there wasn't enough diversity on the album.  All the songs are bangers.  But that's not to take away how good those songs are.  Pretty damn strong Delain album IMO.

Glad to see others are enjoying it too

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #323 on: February 10, 2023, 06:52:54 PM »
Nice to see such a positive reaction to the album. Will definitely check this out.
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline LithoJazzoSphere

• DT.net Veteran
  • Placid Eruption
« Reply #324 on: February 12, 2023, 11:24:40 AM »
My favorites are Lucidity and Apocalypse & Chill.  It's way too early to tell, but it does retain most of the Delain sound, both instrumentally and vocally.  I still can't make up my mind on whether Diana's "not quite Charlotte, but almost" approach works, but there have been many worse replacement vocal performances in other bands, so I'll take it for now. 

Offline soupytwist

• Star Trekkin
« Reply #325 on: February 13, 2023, 03:00:32 AM »
I like the album enough, but it is a tad 'by numbers' - maybe lacking the distinct Delain sound that the previous lineup created.  But the songs are fine enough though, bit odd that the album lacks a slow/ballad type to break the tempo.

Offline The Curious Orange

• Lord of the Night
« Reply #326 on: February 13, 2023, 04:24:04 AM »
Gotta be honest and say I found Moonbathers and Apocalypse & Chill weaker than their earlier material. 

A&C I get, it's pretty weak, and not helped by sequencing all the "poppier" songs up front and leaving the heavier stuff for later on in the album. But Moonbathers is stunning IMO, I genuinely can't see why that album doesn't get more love. I've bought the new album but haven't got round to listening to it yet.

EDIT: Listened to it last night. It's a great album, I really enjoyed it. Heavier than the last few, loved the choirs, and Diana has a great voice, although she does sound a little processed in places. A really strong, enjoyable album. TQ&TC gets better with each listen.

But it's not Delain.
« Last Edit: February 15, 2023, 01:44:49 AM by The Curious Orange »
"And if love remains, though everything is lost,
We will pay the price, but we will not count the cost..."

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #327 on: February 15, 2023, 08:58:20 AM »
 :lol how is it not Delain? 

Also, looks like Delain will be doing a full US tour in September that will be announced in March.  I know this because the Delain facebook account stated so in responding to comments.