Author Topic: Black Swan Appreciation V. WAS I GOOD?!  (Read 9536 times)

Offline 7StringedBeast

• DTF.org Alumni
Re: Black Swan Appreciation V. WAS I GOOD?!
« Reply #35 on: December 30, 2010, 02:50:48 PM »
I agree it shouldn't stop people from seeing it.  As long as its getting great reviews and seems to be a good movie.  The exception being Nick Cage films lolz. 

I just know that bad acting can really really bring a movie down.  I graduated with a film degree, and having to watch a ton of really bad student films, you see what the difference is between hiring real actors to be in your film and getting your roommates and friends to be in it.  Acting carries a lot of the weight (as it should).  Cinematography helps for sure, but it's kinda like icing on the cake.  As long as the cinematography is technically correct and the story is solid, plus good acting, you still have potential for a killer film.
If anyone in this thread judge him; heyy James WTF? about you in Awake In Japan? Then I will say; WTF about you silly?

Offline juice

• om nom nom
« Reply #36 on: December 31, 2010, 12:31:31 AM »
Saw it tonight and I think I kinda have to agree with this…
I do think it's getting a little bit overrated by people, I'd say 8.5 or something out of 10. Great film, but the ending did frustrate me a little.

Offline Genowyn

• That name's pretty cool, and honestly, I'd like to change mine to it.
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • But Hachikuji, I've told you over and over...
« Reply #37 on: December 31, 2010, 01:02:30 AM »
I heard this was something a little like a live action version of Perfect Blue. Has anyone seen both films that could let me know how accurate that is?

...my name is Araragi.

Offline fadetoblackdude7

« Reply #38 on: December 31, 2010, 01:17:49 AM »
Just saw it a few hours ago. It was delightful! Seriously psychotic, amazing, thrilling, all that jazz. Probably my 2nd favorite of the year.

Inception is #1 for me, I'm the biggest Nolan fan.

....and yes, Portman and Kunis are both smokin hot!!!!

Offline AndyDT

« Reply #39 on: February 11, 2011, 04:18:32 AM »
It looked like it had a cool story and some cool moments, but I likely will not see it.  (1) Natalie Portman...yuck!  (2) Lesbianism...double yuck.
The atmosphere and psychological story was amazing I thought.

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
  • Bouncing around the room
« Reply #40 on: February 11, 2011, 05:03:23 AM »
This movie was really good, both Portman and Kunis are hot, so that scene was like...  :eek
But it's not like it made it to my "top5 movies ever" or something.

Offline Jamesman42

• There you'll find me
  • DT.net Member
  • Spiral OUT
« Reply #41 on: February 11, 2011, 07:33:41 AM »
Saw it last night. Good movie.

And that sex scene lasted at least a good 2 minutes, and it was intense (and hot). Luckily the girl I saw it with went to the bathroom a minute before there was a hint of it going to happen, so I got to watch it without the awkwardness! When she came back, she asked me what she missed, and I casually said "Oh, some lesbian sex, you know."

Offline lateralus88

• The Official DTF Stanley Kubrick Fanboi
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • I stabbed Euronymous because he drank my PBR
« Reply #42 on: February 11, 2011, 10:05:52 AM »
Saw it last night. Good movie.

And that sex scene lasted at least a good 2 minutes, and it was intense (and hot). Luckily the girl I saw it with went to the bathroom a minute before there was a hint of it going to happen, so I got to watch it without the awkwardness! When she came back, she asked me what she missed, and I casually said "Oh, some lesbian sex, you know."
I'd imagine it would be fairly awkward for her to see you whip it out during those 2 minutes.
I felt its length in quite a few places.

Awesome Majesty Pendant Club: Member #3

Offline Gorille85

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #43 on: February 11, 2011, 10:12:21 AM »
This movie was awesome. I loved how the camera work and the fact that even though she could go wherever she wanted (at home, at work, etc.) she never was in security.

Offline TL

« Reply #44 on: February 11, 2011, 10:49:46 AM »
Someone go find a .gif of the lesbian sex scene and post it thousands of times for Bosk to embrace.

I honestly have no idea why everyone is making such a big deal out of it. There's no nudity and it's like a minute long or something.
The same reason Blue Valentine was initially rated NC-17 in the US (while being rated 14A throughout most of Canada). The American media is perpetually 11 years old when it comes to anything at all sexual, so in the US, sex=controversy.
It also makes the ads for Blue Valentine (which are obviously aimed at US audiences) absolutely silly here. "Uncut! Uncensored! Rated 14A."

Offline HarlequinForest

« Reply #45 on: February 11, 2011, 11:00:33 AM »
I saw Black Swan a few weeks ago, but I never commented on it.  It was one of the best psych-thrillers I've seen, and one of the most disturbing to me because things involving nails or skin freak me out.  As a chronic nail/cuticle-biter, the part where Nina pulls back the skin on her finger is literally the most agonizing thing I've seen in a film.  The atmosphere and darkness burnt this film into my mind for days after I saw it.

The Wrestler remains my favorite Aronofsky, though!

Offline blackngold29

« Reply #46 on: February 12, 2011, 10:14:25 PM »
Perhaps I'm way too into this movie, but I just bought the soundtrack to the Swan Lake ballet. I didn't realize it was 2 and half hours long, which makes me wonder how Mila Kunis's character had any chance whatsoever to just jump in at the last second and know all the parts? but anyway the soundtrack really good.

Offline toro

• wazzup
  • Metal, Drums and beers they finally got it right
« Reply #47 on: February 17, 2011, 08:35:42 PM »
*SPOILER*

Was nina's mother... Abusing her or was that part of here crazyness?
I imagined the story to go more like this.

I was sitting a traffic light blaring Space Dye Vest and next to me in another car was Kevin Moore. And I'll never be open again.

Offline 73109

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #48 on: February 17, 2011, 08:37:00 PM »
Nothing sexual...just psychological.

Offline toro

• wazzup
  • Metal, Drums and beers they finally got it right
« Reply #49 on: February 17, 2011, 08:39:34 PM »
Oh thank god, this movie made me feel really uneasy  :-\
I imagined the story to go more like this.

I was sitting a traffic light blaring Space Dye Vest and next to me in another car was Kevin Moore. And I'll never be open again.

Offline HarlequinForest

« Reply #50 on: February 17, 2011, 10:57:33 PM »

*SPOILER*

A lot of people believe there was sexual abuse.  It's not clear.  I don't have a conviction either way, but I can certainly see the possibility.

Offline Laddenvore

• hey baby
« Reply #51 on: February 18, 2011, 02:52:46 AM »
It was all a dream, and Natalie Portman's character is actually a bi-curious man with a coke addiction.

Directed by M. Night Shyamalan
When caught masturbating, stare them in the eye, and finish like a beast.

Offline faemir

• Official DTF 5.0 mix HATER
« Reply #52 on: February 18, 2011, 06:24:10 PM »
Perhaps I'm way too into this movie, but I just bought the soundtrack to the Swan Lake ballet. I didn't realize it was 2 and half hours long, which makes me wonder how Mila Kunis's character had any chance whatsoever to just jump in at the last second and know all the parts? but anyway the soundtrack really good.

Well if the parts are always the same, then she should know them already - Portman's character knew them despite never having been the swan queen before.

Offline emindead

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #53 on: February 18, 2011, 07:22:53 PM »
I really liked this movie. If it weren't for some article I read from TIME that I wouldn't have noticed that she throws up on purpose. Naïve me thought it was just the "pressure".

Offline blackngold29

« Reply #54 on: February 18, 2011, 09:26:21 PM »

Well if the parts are always the same, then she should know them already - Portman's character knew them despite never having been the swan queen before.

She didn't know them already, she was practicing a lot in the movie and I'm sure more that we didn't see. From what I've read on Wikipedia it actually varries a great deal based on what group is performing it.

I really liked this movie. If it weren't for some article I read from TIME that I wouldn't have noticed that she throws up on purpose. Naïve me thought it was just the "pressure".

I don't think you missed anything, this has been debated a lot on other movie forums I've seen. But personally, I don't think she ever makes herself throw up.

Offline 73109

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #55 on: February 18, 2011, 10:39:12 PM »
I am debating. A lot of times, I think it is just pressure, but then you realize she denies a large slice of cake from her mom. I am undecided on the issue. This movie comes out on March 29th. I think I might actually buy this one.

Offline emindead

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #56 on: March 13, 2011, 04:35:43 PM »

Offline ThroughHerEyesDude6

• Studio Artist
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Art keeps me alive
« Reply #57 on: March 15, 2011, 02:12:53 AM »
How did I not find this thread eariler???

I love this movie, and once it comes out on DVDizzle I'm waiting for my next available paycheck, depositing it  cept for a small sum and buying the movie.

Yeah, I plan ahead mothafucka!

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #58 on: June 04, 2011, 09:02:33 AM »
I finally got around to watching it yesterday. Good movie, even though I don't think it's as good as some people make it out to be.
People rave about the lesbian scene, but damn, the one where she thinks she's alone and pushes some buttons ... her butt in fullscreen is quite something.
And jeez, how much weight did she lose for that role?

rumborak
"I liked when Myung looked like a women's figure skating champion."

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #59 on: June 04, 2011, 09:12:39 AM »
She wasn't jumping in at the last second, she had already been chosen as the understudy, or whatever the equivalent is called in ballet. All professional performances have understudies, so that if the lead singer/dancer/actor/whatever is injured or taken ill, they can still do the show. Both characters will have learned the parts.

People rave about the lesbian scene, but damn, the one where she thinks she's alone and pushes some buttons ... her butt in fullscreen is quite something.
That scene was also ridiculously hot, until the end of it, which properly made me jump the first time I saw it.

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Offline kári

• Meow
  • DTF.com Member
  • það besta sem guð hefur skapað er nýr dagur
« Reply #60 on: June 04, 2011, 09:17:03 AM »
Yeah that scared me alright. Lame thing about it was that I saw it at the cinema, and behind me there was this presumably 14-something year old girl watching the movie with her mother.. And she would always go "EEEEWWW" whenever something sexual happened (like when the coordinator told her that she had to touch herself).
Any sexual scene in the film was ruined because of that stupid bitch.

You and me go parallel, together and apart

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #61 on: June 04, 2011, 09:24:01 AM »
So, is she dead in the end?

BTW, even though ballet doesn't phase me much usually, the black swan part in the live performance was really good.

rumborak

Offline kári

• Meow
  • DTF.com Member
« Reply #62 on: June 04, 2011, 09:33:17 AM »
I don't know.. Story-wise I think she should be dead.

Yeah, the transformation was amazing.

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #63 on: June 04, 2011, 09:53:47 AM »
I don't know, but this is my interpretation (SPOILERS OBVIOUSLY):

A lot of what we see throughout the film is either entirely in her head or at the very least exaggerated. In order to become the Black Swan, in her head she has killed someone and doesn't care, which allows her to get into the role. So my take is that she probably has cut herself or hurt herself, but that it is not nearly as bad as we see, because it is only in her head that she thinks it is that bad which allows her to become the White Swan. I have other reasons for thinking this as well: (1) She takes the shard out before she goes on stage, but the blood doesn't start gushing for ages, and (2) the others don't seem that shocked or rushed when they see that she is hurt. Now it's possible that both these factors are simply weak story-telling and acting, but considering how strong the rest of the film is in these regards, I find that to be very unlikely.

That said, it's a bit of an open ending, and was probably intended to let us make our own interpretations. But that's mine anyway.

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #64 on: June 04, 2011, 09:59:46 AM »
Yeah, the lack of massive distress also made me think that the massive bleeding was part of her distorted perception.

That said, the thing that speaks against it is that she said she was perfect. And when you look at Winona Ryder's character, she failed to be perfect, in the end because she slowly aged. So, Portman's perfection could only be complete if she died. Then, she never made a mistake.

rumborak

Offline bout to crash

• Admiral Jackbar
  • DT.net Veteran
  • Instant Erection!
« Reply #65 on: June 04, 2011, 10:32:02 AM »
SPOILERS...

*SPOILER*

I actually accidentally came across the blog of a woman who was abused by her mother as a child, and she (and all of the people who commented) seem fairly certain based on their own experiences/knowledge about that type of abuse. They make a lot of really good points. It's a very long string of posts to read but if you get through some of it...

https://faithallen.wordpress.com/2011/01/03/black-swan-movie-about-mother-daughter-sexual-abuse/
Oh Jackie, always jumping to the most homoerotic possibility.

Offline TL

« Reply #66 on: June 05, 2011, 10:46:35 PM »
Watched this again tonight. Still so damn good.
I think I actually liked it more watching it again. The first time is really intense, which is awesome, but when you've already seen it, you really pick up on things you missed the first time around. Especially after having discussed it quite a bit with an entire classfull of film students.

Offline kári

• Meow
  • DTF.com Member
« Reply #67 on: June 06, 2011, 02:04:21 AM »
when you've already seen it, you really pick up on things you missed the first time around.
This is the reason I watch my favourite films several times. Everyone thinks I'm weird because what's the point in watching a movie you've already seen? But I like it a lot.

Offline lateralus88

• The Official DTF Stanley Kubrick Fanboi
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • I stabbed Euronymous because he drank my PBR
« Reply #68 on: June 06, 2011, 08:58:13 AM »
when you've already seen it, you really pick up on things you missed the first time around.
This is the reason I watch my favourite films several times. Everyone thinks I'm weird because what's the point in watching a movie you've already seen? But I like it a lot.
It makes more sense to me then say...people reading books a second time.
I felt its length in quite a few places.

Awesome Majesty Pendant Club: Member #3

Offline bout to crash

• Admiral Jackbar
  • DT.net Veteran
  • Instant Erection!
« Reply #69 on: June 06, 2011, 04:03:23 PM »
Both make just as much sense to me... but one thing that I don't get is how some people (like my roommate) can just watch a movie over and over. She's like a three-year-old who needs to see The Little Mermaid AGAIN MOMMY AGAIN!
She will watch the same cheesy romantic comedy or whatever (last time it was French Kiss and that Amanda Bynes movie about the girl pledging for the sorority) several days in a row, or sometimes even again right away. I wouldn't even want to do that with a movie I really really liked.
Oh Jackie, always jumping to the most homoerotic possibility.