Author Topic: Black Swan Appreciation V. WAS I GOOD?!  (Read 9513 times)

Offline Ravenheart

• Hair
  • DTF.org Member
Black Swan Appreciation V. WAS I GOOD?!
« on: December 30, 2010, 01:44:29 AM »
Ladies, ladies, ladies, Black Swan is in the hizzouse. Show your appreciation for the best film of 2010. Great script, great story, great atmosphere, great themes, great acting, great visuals, and great lesbian sex scenes.

"I was perfect."

Offline cthrubuoy

• DTF.org Member
Re: Black Swan Appreciation V. WAS I GOOD?!
« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2010, 01:51:40 AM »
scenes.

There was more than that one I found on the Internet on a lonely night in last week?

Looking forward to seeing this though, it really does look interesting.

Offline JayOctavarium

• I used to be a whorejerk
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • But then I took a Hef to the knee...
« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2010, 01:53:51 AM »
Great fucking movie. I may or may not have a slight obsession with Natalie Portman... but with that aside... it was fantastic. THE ONLY THING I HAVE AGAINST IT IS the fact that it seems that they had no money in the budget for a freaking steady cam...
I just don't understand what they were trying to achieve with any part of the song, either individually or as a whole. You know what? It's the Platypus of Dream Theater songs. That bill doesn't go with that tail, or that strange little furry body, or those webbed feet, and oh god why does it have venomous spurs!? And then you find out it lays eggs too. The difference is that the Platypus is somehow functional despite being a crazy mishmash or leftover animal pieces

-BlobVanDam on "Scarred"

Offline cthrubuoy

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #3 on: December 30, 2010, 02:15:37 AM »
Please post Spoiler Tags in here. UK release is 21st Jan  :corn

Offline JayOctavarium

• I used to be a whorejerk
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • But then I took a Hef to the knee...
« Reply #4 on: December 30, 2010, 02:17:19 AM »
i is not spoilin nothin
I just don't understand what they were trying to achieve with any part of the song, either individually or as a whole. You know what? It's the Platypus of Dream Theater songs. That bill doesn't go with that tail, or that strange little furry body, or those webbed feet, and oh god why does it have venomous spurs!? And then you find out it lays eggs too. The difference is that the Platypus is somehow functional despite being a crazy mishmash or leftover animal pieces

-BlobVanDam on "Scarred"

Offline Ravenheart

• Hair
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #5 on: December 30, 2010, 02:30:05 AM »
It was all a dream, and Natalie Portman's character is actually a bi-curious man with a coke addiction.

Offline cthrubuoy

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #6 on: December 30, 2010, 02:50:39 AM »
i is not spoilin nothin

I was talking to everyone, not you specifically :hat

Offline lateralus88

• The Official DTF Stanley Kubrick Fanboi
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • I stabbed Euronymous because he drank my PBR
« Reply #7 on: December 30, 2010, 03:14:10 AM »
Best. Film. Of. 2010.
I felt its length in quite a few places.

Awesome Majesty Pendant Club: Member #3

Offline YtseBitsySpider

• **retired from DTF**
  • EZBoard Elder
« Reply #8 on: December 30, 2010, 05:19:54 AM »
never heard of it.
seriously.
blame canada

Meanwhile.....the World Juniors are on.
Take care everyone - Bet you all didn't even notice I was gone.

Happy Lives to you all.

Offline sirbradford117

• DTF Resident Beatlemaniac
  • All you need is love.
« Reply #9 on: December 30, 2010, 07:12:08 AM »
Good movie.  I really appreciated its outline of the truth about performing artists.  It's a cutthroat world and we often end up pushing ourselves too hard for perfection. 

Sweet visuals too!  Oh, and Kunis on top of Portman... GOLDEN!!
VOTE IN THE BEATLES SURVIVOR!!!!!

Listen to sirbradford in all things Beatles :P

This is evil, but I went with bradford

Offline Jamesman42

• There you'll find me
  • DT.net Member
  • Spiral OUT
« Reply #10 on: December 30, 2010, 07:21:24 AM »
I remember the trailer a while back, looks really good. Hmm.

Offline 7StringedBeast

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #11 on: December 30, 2010, 07:49:40 AM »
This movie is seriously excellent.  So well done, keeps you on the edge of your seat.  You care about the characters because there is SO MUCH development in the short time the film has.  Fantastic.  It was better than I thought it was going to be and I knew going into it that it was going to be a great film.  The cinematography was pretty cool and it had some really really great visual effects that were not all up in your face, but subtle for the most part to add tot he film, not distract you from it.

The performances of the actors were great.  Especially the woman playing Portman's mom.  This is definitely a must see movie.  I can't think of anything better that came out in 2010.  Or maybe even since Inglorious Bastards came out. 
If anyone in this thread judge him; heyy James WTF? about you in Awake In Japan? Then I will say; WTF about you silly?

Offline 73109

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #12 on: December 30, 2010, 09:41:53 AM »
The best film of 2010 for me. I love weird, trippy movies and this was the weirdest and trippiest I have seen since Aronofsky's Requiem For a Dream. This was my favorite film in a long time. It might even beat out Inglourius Basterds for best film since There Will Be Blood. (excluding In Bruges because less than like 1% of people know that exists.) This will probably not win anything at the Oscars but it will get nominated for a lot of things. From my diminutive experience, it seems that the Oscars are not into movies like this. Natalie Portman, Mila Kunis(fuck yes!!), and Aronofsky will all get nods in the best actress, supporting actress, and best director respectively. I would love to see this win Best Picture because it is about time the Academy pics movies for the sick fucks like me, but sadly, they will probably give it to The Social Network, and if they don't give it to them, they will give it to The King's Speech which was also an amazing film and is probably a 9.5/10 while Black Swan is a 9.8/10. I would be happy with The King's Speech taking the Best Picture Oscar.

Ok...everybody...go see The King's Speech.

Offline Dimitrius

• DT.net Member
  • Fuckin' magnets, how do they work?
« Reply #13 on: December 30, 2010, 10:22:02 AM »
LOL numbers.

Black Swan is definitely amazing! My second favorite film I've seen this year and yet another reason why Aronofsky is one of my favorite directors!

Everyone should see this!
Joe and I in the same squad is basically the virtual equivalent of us plowing a rape van through an elementary school playground at recess.

Offline blackngold29

« Reply #14 on: December 30, 2010, 10:58:49 AM »
Since Aronofsky is my favorite director I've been waiting for this to come out for like eight months and it still blew away expectations. Best movie since Lord of the Rings.

{Spoilers}

I want a poster of the shot where she's on the stage right after the black swan dance and her shadows behind her has wings soooooo fucking much.

Offline Marvellous G

• I'm not sure on the avatar swearing policy...
« Reply #15 on: December 30, 2010, 11:14:25 AM »
I do think it's getting a little bit overrated by people, I'd say 8.5 or something out of 10. Great film, but the ending did frustrate me a little.

Also, there actually wasn't very much Mila Kunis in it! *rages*

Offline masterthes

« Reply #16 on: December 30, 2010, 11:25:12 AM »
Kunis won't get nominated in all likelihood, but Natalie, Aronofsky and the picture well. Fantastic movie, and weird as hell

Online Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #17 on: December 30, 2010, 11:29:44 AM »
Kunis wasn't bad by any stretch, she was just kind of....normal Kunis.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #18 on: December 30, 2010, 11:30:48 AM »
It looked like it had a cool story and some cool moments, but I likely will not see it.  (1) Natalie Portman...yuck!  (2) Lesbianism...double yuck.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline blackngold29

« Reply #19 on: December 30, 2010, 11:33:30 AM »
(1) Natalie Portman...yuck!  (2) Lesbianism...double yuck.

Online Adami

« Reply #20 on: December 30, 2010, 11:33:50 AM »
It looked like it had a cool story and some cool moments, but I likely will not see it.  (1) Natalie Portman...yuck!  (2) Lesbianism...double yuck.

Regarding point number 2, it's really not a big part of the movie as so many guys are making it out to be.

Regarding point number 1, GET THE HELL OUT OF HERE!
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline lateralus88

• The Official DTF Stanley Kubrick Fanboi
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • I stabbed Euronymous because he drank my PBR
« Reply #21 on: December 30, 2010, 12:17:42 PM »
Come on Bosky, don't be that way. Embrace it.
I felt its length in quite a few places.

Awesome Majesty Pendant Club: Member #3

Offline 7StringedBeast

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #22 on: December 30, 2010, 12:22:18 PM »
Bosk, its really worth seeing.  Wait for it to come out on DVD.  It really is a great film.
If anyone in this thread judge him; heyy James WTF? about you in Awake In Japan? Then I will say; WTF about you silly?

Offline DarkEternalNight

• I take the "the" out of psychotherapist
  • GODDDD ISSSS DEAAADDDD
« Reply #23 on: December 30, 2010, 12:26:11 PM »
Someone go find a .gif of the lesbian sex scene and post it thousands of times for Bosk to embrace.

Online Adami

« Reply #24 on: December 30, 2010, 12:53:47 PM »
Someone go find a .gif of the lesbian sex scene and post it thousands of times for Bosk to embrace.

I honestly have no idea why everyone is making such a big deal out of it. There's no nudity and it's like a minute long or something.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline TheVoxyn

• "The X makes it sound cool"
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #25 on: December 30, 2010, 12:55:04 PM »
Natalie Portman? I need to see this.

Offline bout to crash

• Admiral Jackbar
  • DT.net Veteran
  • Instant Erection!
« Reply #26 on: December 30, 2010, 12:55:56 PM »
Saw it for the second time last night and loved it more. Still trying to make sense of everything.

(2) Lesbianism...double yuck.

??? ???
Oh Jackie, always jumping to the most homoerotic possibility.

Offline Ravenheart

• Hair
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #27 on: December 30, 2010, 01:06:39 PM »
I will never, ever, ever understand why one actor/actress can be the cause for someone denying themselves to see such a great film.

And yeah, the lesbian stuff lasts for, like, 30 seconds. And it's perfectly relevant to the plot. But I guess most people will just dismiss it as being there solely for shock and titillation purposes.... Too bad.

Offline 7StringedBeast

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #28 on: December 30, 2010, 01:41:07 PM »
I will never, ever, ever understand why one actor/actress can be the cause for someone denying themselves to see such a great film.

Nicolas Cage. 

(Except for his role in Adaptation, he was pretty good in that movie.)

Offline zxlkho

• Official Dream Theater Hater.
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #29 on: December 30, 2010, 02:02:52 PM »
I just watched Black Swan and I absolutely loved it.
I AM A GUY
You're a fucking stupid bitch.
Orion....that's the one with a bunch of power chords and boringly harsh vocals, isn't it?

Offline Ravenheart

• Hair
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #30 on: December 30, 2010, 02:04:27 PM »

Nicolas Cage. 

(Except for his role in Adaptation, he was pretty good in that movie.)
Even so, I'll take a spectacular film that has one or two actors I didn't care for in a particular flick I saw a couple of years ago over a shitty film with actors that usually have outstanding roles any day.

No character or actor is ever more important than the story and their character arcs.

Offline 7StringedBeast

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #31 on: December 30, 2010, 02:07:09 PM »

If you don't like the lead actor, chances are you won't like the main character.  The acting must be good to get you involved in the film's story.  So I can fully understand why some actors ruin movies for people.  Acting is incredibly important in film.  Actually, I'd say it is the most important part of film.  Because you can have a shitty story, but great acting might bring it up.  You could have a phenomenal story, but if the acting isn't there, no one will give a shit.  The acting has to pull it off.

Offline axeman90210

• Official Minister of Awesome, and Veronica knows my name!
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Never go full Nick
« Reply #32 on: December 30, 2010, 02:25:12 PM »
*shrug* I still say it was good but not "zomg amazing". The Wrestler was way better, and I'm guessing/hoping I'll be able to say the same about True Grit and/or The King's Speech and/or The Fighter by the time I get around to seeing all of those.
Photobucket sucks.

Online Adami

« Reply #33 on: December 30, 2010, 02:27:50 PM »
*shrug* I still say it was good but not "zomg amazing". The Wrestler was way better, and I'm guessing/hoping I'll be able to say the same about True Grit and/or The King's Speech and/or The Fighter by the time I get around to seeing all of those.

Hm......

No.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline Ravenheart

• Hair
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #34 on: December 30, 2010, 02:32:29 PM »

If you don't like the lead actor, chances are you won't like the main character.  The acting must be good to get you involved in the film's story.  So I can fully understand why some actors ruin movies for people.  Acting is incredibly important in film.  Actually, I'd say it is the most important part of film.  Because you can have a shitty story, but great acting might bring it up.  You could have a phenomenal story, but if the acting isn't there, no one will give a shit.  The acting has to pull it off.
Mm, I guess. Even so, I think a highly heralded film is still worth a shot, even if you can't stand the actor that plays the main character. Films are also about the feel, style, atmosphere, and visuals--much more than just the script and acting.

I'm not saying everyone will like this film, but an actor shouldn't be the primary reason for hating/not seeing it. At least, I don't think it should be  :angel: