Author Topic: Oceansize (RIP 2011) v. VENNART 2011-Present "Forgiveness & The Grain" (2/2/24)  (Read 125505 times)

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
  • Bouncing around the room
Re: Oceansize
« Reply #630 on: January 30, 2012, 04:59:48 AM »
Release date sounds pretty good to me, you'll hear a nice transition from Effloresce to Everyone Into Position, and then from EiP to Frames, while they still have that Oceansize-sound. Self Preserved.. is quite different, but I love it never the less.
So yeah, checking them out chronologically is a nice idea, later when you're familiar with the studio albums I would also recommend their two EP's; "Music For Nurses" and "Home & Minor", both are awesome and on par with the rest.
The band also has many B-Sides spread out on singles and here and there, I'm glad to say that I have all of them (I think!) collected on my comp.  :D

Offline Xanthul

« Reply #631 on: January 30, 2012, 05:02:00 AM »
Cool, thanks for the heads up. You just lost one weapon for my upcoming survivor though :P

Last two songs on Effloresce left, this is awesome. I think I'm going to give it another listen once I'm done, I want to soak it in before moving on to EiP. If the rest of their discography is as good as this, I can see this band storming into my top 5 in a couple of weeks.

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #632 on: January 30, 2012, 05:04:20 AM »
I think you will love both Everyone Into Position and Frames, they're not miles apart Effloresce soundwise, maybe a bit more mature.
Self Preserved, as I mentioned is slightly different, so people either love it equally, more or less, it kinda changes a lot for everyone.

Offline faemir

• Official DTF 5.0 mix HATER
« Reply #633 on: February 08, 2012, 07:04:54 PM »
Time to get back into Oceansize. I sort of got into them massively for a very short time, without properly getting into them. I've been on Music for Nurses EP all week, One Out of nONE and Dead Dogs an' All Sorts are amazing.

Listening to Self Preserved at the moment, apart from the bad tracklisting (what a slow middle of album.. stupid idea), this album is killer - S/T into It's My Tail is just :O

I really like EIP too, the commercial feel is quite nice, even if Oceansize didn't like it when they then decided to do Frames.

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #634 on: February 09, 2012, 01:20:00 AM »
Music For Nurses might be my favorite EP of all time. I agree that the songs you mentioned are badass, though Paper Champion is my favorite on the EP. What I love about it is that it flows like it was one long, ~25 minute song, and for the last 3 songs for example, I didn't "hear" the separation parts until I started looking for them, they really flow well together.

Self Preserved is quite fantastic for me. I know some people complain about the two softer songs in a row, and while I see their point, it doesn't really bother me. Self Preserved was the first 'Size-album I got into, and I still have very fond memories of the album just because of that, and it's still a really good album. Songs like "Superimposer", "Build Us a Rocket Then", "Silent/Transparent", "Pine", these are just some of my favorites, but all in all I don't think the album has a single weak song.

Everyone Into Position is fantastic indeed. While it has a few more "straight forward" songs, it also has some of their best experimental stuff on it as well. "Mine Host", "Music For a Nurse", "Ornament/The Last Wrongs" for example.
And while a few songs are more "straight forward", I think they are fantastic considering that fact. "Meredith", "The Charm Offensive" and "A Homage to Shame" for example are all slightly more accessible, but amazing never the less.  :)

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #635 on: February 26, 2012, 08:55:01 AM »
Bump.

British Theatre has a new EP out, containing 3 songs. Available at: https://britishtheatre.bandcamp.com/
For those who don't know, British Theatre is a project by Mike Vennart and Richard "Gambler" Ingram, both who were previously in Oceansize. (obviously!)
The EP sounds very good, has a bit of a Home & Minor-vibe to it, so a bit of Oceansize's more softer side, but some very interesting electronics. As I mentioned the EP is only 3 songs and about 14 minutes long, but I really like what I'm hearing. :)

Offline jag66

« Reply #636 on: February 26, 2012, 02:11:26 PM »
Just downloaded and had a listen. There's some cool electronics in there indeed. Gold bruise is favourite so far  :tup

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #637 on: May 17, 2012, 03:17:57 PM »
New interview with Mike Vennart: https://www.undersong.co.uk/2012/05/15/dip-vs-mike-vennart/

Pretty much about the next British Theatre EP that will come out soon, and according to their latest facebook update it looks like it will be released on vinyl. The full length album is also on it's way, and he talks about taking the music to a live-setting.

Also more negative vibes towards Oceansize sadly. :(
« Last Edit: May 17, 2012, 03:33:04 PM by Zantera »

Offline Heretic

• hold your head up high
  • DTF.org Member
  • never give up, never give in
« Reply #638 on: August 22, 2012, 11:06:53 AM »
....well I'm finally listening to Frames

and it's amazing

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #639 on: August 22, 2012, 11:09:48 AM »

and it's amazing

Took you long enough! :D But nice to hear.
On an unrelated note, the new British Theatre EP is out (Mike Vennart and Gambler project) and it's totally amazing. Post-Rock, Electronic-ish, it's really good and I recommend it.

Offline Heretic

• hold your head up high
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #640 on: August 22, 2012, 11:13:13 AM »
I'd listened to Effloresce before and liked it, but that was like almost a year ago. My taste has changed a lot since then, and back then Frames wasn't on Spotify :lol but yeah, this is amazing, like post-rock mixed with alternative metal/rock and progressive tendencies, it's fantastic

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #641 on: August 22, 2012, 11:18:36 AM »
I think that's the reason why Oceansize are my favorite band, the way they blend Post-Rock with Progressiveness and other different influences. I think the Post-Rock element in Oceansize is one of those things that most other bands within the "modern prog" doesn't have. But cool to hear that you liked it, maybe you'll check out the entire discography? :P

Offline Ryzee

« Reply #642 on: August 22, 2012, 11:26:58 AM »
So Zant I've had Frames and the Music for Nurses EP forever, and Effloresce for about a year now.  I hope to own the entire discog eventually because I too love this band, but for now what record should be my priority to get next, Everyone Into Position, Self-Preserved or another EP?  I seek guidance and counsel from the Oceansize master  :hefdaddy

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #643 on: August 22, 2012, 12:04:48 PM »
It's a tricky question. I would probably say Everyone Into Position first, because it has some of their best songs on it (Music For a Nurse, Ornament/The Last Wrongs and Mine Host for example), then Self Preserved (which also has some killer songs) and then going for EPs and Singles. Home & Minor is really the only true EP you have left, the others are more singles in my opinion, with 1 or 2 B-sides. Heaven Alive and New Pin shouldn't be too hard to find, but A Very Still Movement, Relapse and One Day All This Could Be Yours are more rare. If you happen to find them at a nice price I'd suggest picking them up though. I paid 20£ for my copy of "A Very Still Movement". :P

Offline Ryzee

« Reply #644 on: August 22, 2012, 12:11:42 PM »
Cool man, thanks for the tips as always  :tup

Offline Heretic

• hold your head up high
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #645 on: August 22, 2012, 12:35:44 PM »
Well The Frame is definitely the best song I've heard from Oceansize.

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #646 on: August 22, 2012, 12:42:47 PM »
Well The Frame is definitely the best song I've heard from Oceansize.

It's pretty much been tied for my favorite together with Music For a Nurse for 2 years now. Just love it. "I am not the picture now, I am the frame", "time wont change a thing when i'm gone".  :heart

Offline faemir

« Reply #647 on: August 22, 2012, 02:14:53 PM »

and it's amazing

Took you long enough! :D But nice to hear.
On an unrelated note, the new British Theatre EP is out (Mike Vennart and Gambler project) and it's totally amazing. Post-Rock, Electronic-ish, it's really good and I recommend it.

Totally going to buy the vinyl :D

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #648 on: August 22, 2012, 02:40:46 PM »
I've already pre-ordered it. If you haven't, then I believe it's limited (500 copies?) so might be good to order it soon. Also, you can get it signed if you write so in a comment. :P

Offline cyberdrummer

• Setlist Guru and DT.net Veteran
« Reply #649 on: March 21, 2013, 03:52:12 PM »
Frames is one of the best albums of all time. Just in case anyone had forgotten.

Offline Silver Tears

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #650 on: March 21, 2013, 04:27:16 PM »
I sure haven't forgotten  :laugh:

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #651 on: March 21, 2013, 04:34:36 PM »
It's still my all time favorite album, so I haven't forgotten either.  :hat

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #652 on: March 21, 2013, 06:44:41 PM »
I have never heard a note from this band and last weekend when I was out I picked up one of their albums in the clearance bin brand new for $2.  Not sure what album it is and I haven't listened to it yet.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #653 on: March 22, 2013, 02:07:23 AM »
Hope you will like it! :)

Online SoundscapeMN

« Reply #654 on: March 23, 2013, 11:44:02 AM »
Zantera, it's amazing reading your comments about Frames a few years ago, and where you are now. I know the experience from some of my favorite bands/albums (King's X, Apes and Androids to name a few), but you at 1 time thought it was their worst record.

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #655 on: March 23, 2013, 12:26:55 PM »
Haha yes. I was pretty lame back then, I never gave things time to grow and I was pretty closeminded. Now I can read old posts and just laugh really. Nowadays I give everything at least 5-10 listens before I form an opinion, so my approach to it is pretty different.  :lol

Offline faemir

« Reply #656 on: May 10, 2013, 10:01:53 AM »
Thought I'd drop by and necro this thread because I can't get over how amazing Oceansize are and how bitter I am that they broke up, meaning that the two most promising Prog Rock bands of the 2000s broke up (Oceansize and Pure Reason Revolution)

sadface.

On the plus side I still haven't gotten into all of their material so I have the backlog of lots of B sides and Effloresce to properly listen to.

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #657 on: May 10, 2013, 10:58:06 AM »
If you still haven't heard Effloresce, you are in for a treat. Lots of great B-Sides as well, especially if you haven't heard the EP's, Music For Nurses or Home and Minor. Even if you know those, there are some other quality songs as well.

I miss Oceansize as well. They had an amazing sound of combining Post-Rock and Progressive/Alternative Rock, and the result was something really special.  :heart

Offline Silver Tears

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #658 on: May 10, 2013, 11:23:43 AM »
I'll join in the Oceansize love  :heart

Offline Tyrias

« Reply #659 on: May 10, 2013, 01:44:13 PM »
Yup, Effloresce is truly great. IMO their best, though I haven't listened to Frames all that much yet.

Offline TexansDT

« Reply #660 on: May 10, 2013, 03:47:41 PM »
Miss these guys like a long-lost relative.

"The Frame" is one of the most beautiful songs I've ever heard; has brought me to tears on more than one occasion.  10 minutes never goes by so fast.
If I seem superhuman, I have been misunderstood...

Offline Buddyhunter1

• Professional Mellotron Spotter
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Observe The Train
« Reply #661 on: May 10, 2013, 04:03:01 PM »
Only Twin is their best song. So fucking haunting.
BUDDYHUNTER | Debut Demo Out Now! FREE DOWNLOAD: https://buddyhunter.bandcamp.com/
RYM: https://rateyourmusic.com/~buddyhunter1

Offline faemir

« Reply #662 on: May 11, 2013, 11:45:34 AM »
Effloresce was pretty cool, I can't see it beating any of the other albums though!

I have Amputee stuck in my head now, very post-rockish.

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #663 on: May 11, 2013, 03:28:19 PM »
If I would rank the albums, Effloresce would just barely be behind Frames. I would say they are equal in terms of quality, it's just a small difference in sounds really. Music For Nurses comes close since it's also a stellar release.

Offline Shadow Ninja 2.0

• Heir Transparent
  • Transcribing Existence Rivets
« Reply #664 on: May 11, 2013, 04:24:32 PM »
Oceansize fans, I need help. I've listened to several songs, and while they're good, I'm not really blown away. What should I do?