Author Topic: Oceansize (RIP 2011) v. VENNART 2011-Present "Forgiveness & The Grain" (2/2/24)  (Read 123420 times)

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
  • Bouncing around the room
Re: Oceansize
« Reply #105 on: September 21, 2010, 08:47:35 AM »
Still not entirely blown away by SPWTBFU.  It's good, yes.  but not mind-numbing like the way the others are.

Part Cardiac, Superimposer, Silent/Transparent, Superimposter...?
The list could go on an on.
The other albums are really great too though, so i can definitely see why someone would rank the albums differently, the only album that i've gotten slightly bored with is Frames, but i do intend to give it another shot when i'm done with the other 3 albums.
Hopefully it will grow on me. :)
The biggest plus i would like to give to SPWTBFU though is this:
It's probably the most varied album, and all songs are really good.

Offline limnides

• DTF.org Member
  • Dum vita est, spes est.
« Reply #106 on: September 21, 2010, 09:30:18 AM »
I'm not denying that the album is good.  :P
and there are a few tracks I really like.  but I find that they're not that memorable.

I think SoundscapeMN summed it up best:
I'm honestly really surprised how much praise this new album has got. I'm not just saying on this forum, but on most of the boards I'm on, I see people gushing over it.

I've said it elsewhere, but not here. It's not a bad record, but it's clearly more different than any of their others, that it's just not demanding I go back to it, nor is it as memorable.

It's a weak 4-star record at best, and for a band who seem/ed on the verge at making their 1st masterpiece, it's a bit disappointing. Perhaps it'll age better, but for now, I can't help but be surprised how much I can't agree with a lot of reviews of it.

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #107 on: September 21, 2010, 09:54:40 AM »
The only downside is that the earlier 3 albums all have at least 1 song that drags a little, and even though i really like the other albums, SPWTBFU still has the highest low's.

Offline bodiesinflight

• I prefer drone
« Reply #108 on: September 21, 2010, 10:55:43 AM »
Needs more You Wish

You'll be lucky! If Oceansize never played that song live again I don't think it would be a surprise.

I'm one of the lucky ones cause I've seen it  :laugh:

Why?

They don't appear to like it very much. It's probably the most commonly heckled for song at 'Size gigs and Mike always makes a comment if he hears to the effect of "there's no way we're gonna play that". Not sure why. They do dig it out very occasionally but very rarely. I think Amputee's probably been retired now as well. Not to mention Catalyst.
Drowned in Sound
Echoes & Dust
Stereoboard

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #109 on: September 24, 2010, 08:51:38 AM »
I'm having second thoughts about purchasing 'Feed to Feed'.
First off, i do love the band, and even Frames have started to grow on me, which i didn't think considering i had a slightly bad experience with it initially.
However, i do think the price is high considering i'm not much of a DVD-watcher, normally when i buy a music-DVD, i watch it once, and then put it in my shelf, making it strictly a collectors-item.
I tend to listen more to it, like having it downloaded on my comp and listen, but then it means i'm paying ~700 swedish kr (which is like 60 pounds or something), which is a lot if i wont 'use' half of the thing (the dvd-part), and even though i love Oceansize, they aren't my Band with a big 'B'.
To describe better, normally when it comes to bands i really like, i purchase all studio-albums (in some cases i might skip an album or two, because i don't enjoy them as much), then i have my all time-favorites (a few bands) which i try to purchase as much as possible with, like EP's, T-shirts.. you name it.
Porcupine Tree (being my favorite-band) is really the only band i have where i'm always looking for anything band-related, and i guess many others have the same thing with their favorite-band.
Purchasing everything you can find with several bands is very expensive, and in the case with Oceansize, i think i'll be pretty happy just by owning the 4 cds, and maybe an EP or two in the future. (haven't checked them out yet)

I'd also like to point out that 'Women Who Love Men Who Love Drugs' is such a fantastic tune, the build-up and the climax part is epic.
Now when i've developed a love for the older Oceansize, it's bloody hard comparing the records with SPWTBFU, but one thing's for sure... this is a great band with many great songs.  :tup

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #110 on: October 24, 2010, 12:11:14 PM »
Bump.

So, funny how i wasn't that keen on Frames, now i might consider it my favorite 'size-album.  :biggrin:
Savant is probably my favorite track on it, but it has only brilliant tracks.. love the meshuggah-stylish guitars in Sleeping Dogs and Dead Lions, and well.. all the other tracks.
I am buying Feed to Feed in a month or so, just waiting for cash.  ;)

Offline ClairvoyantCat

• DT is no longer Majesty.
« Reply #111 on: January 18, 2011, 02:36:37 PM »
I got Feed to Feed about a week ago.  What a fantastic performance all around. 

It also further solidified my opinion that Ornament/The Last Wrongs is one of the greatest songs ever.  The performance of that song on the dvd was just ridiculously good.

Offline jag66

« Reply #112 on: January 18, 2011, 02:58:41 PM »
Still only got their first album (v good though). To think I saw them supporting someone way back in 2002, and I start to get into them 8 years later  :hat

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #113 on: January 18, 2011, 03:06:20 PM »
Yay this finally got bumped. :)
My collection consists of the four studio-albums, Home & Minor and Feed to Feed, i really want Music For Nurses, but it's rare.
Luckily i have it on the computer though.  :tup

I agree that Ornament/The Last Wrongs is fantastic, however i don't see it topping Music For a Nurse or The Frame for me, those songs give the word epic a new meaning.  :hat

Offline bodiesinflight

• I prefer drone
« Reply #114 on: January 18, 2011, 03:12:23 PM »
I have 'Music For Nurses'  ;D
Drowned in Sound
Echoes & Dust
Stereoboard

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #115 on: January 18, 2011, 03:19:59 PM »
I have 'Music For Nurses'  ;D

Give me! If you do, i'll give you some cookies.  ;)
Also, i'm really excited about the next 'size-album.
I know it wont come out until 2012 or something (at the very best), but i know it will be just as awesome as the other 4.

Offline Ravenheart

• Hair
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #116 on: January 19, 2011, 06:17:30 PM »
I currently have Everyone into Position in my possession.

THIS BETTER BE GOOD.

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #117 on: January 20, 2011, 03:29:44 AM »
I currently have Everyone into Position in my possession.

THIS BETTER BE GOOD.

Prepare to get your mind = blown.

Offline ClairvoyantCat

« Reply #118 on: January 20, 2011, 05:08:02 PM »

I agree that Ornament/The Last Wrongs is fantastic, however i don't see it topping Music For a Nurse or The Frame for me, those songs give the word epic a new meaning.  :hat

Yeah, I won't try to compare those songs...  Music for a Nurse is right up there too as it is one of the top 10 most beautiful things ever.  Seeing Feed to Feed would really boost your respect for Ornament/The Last Wrongs though.  Those harmonies!

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #119 on: January 21, 2011, 01:28:19 AM »
Any love for The Frame? :P
Every time i hear it, i just think it's perfect... the ultimate funeral-song tbh.

Time won't change a thing when i'm gone

:heart

Offline SoundscapeMN

« Reply #120 on: January 21, 2011, 04:32:54 AM »
The Frame is gorgeous..1 of their best songs.

Offline bodiesinflight

• I prefer drone
« Reply #121 on: January 21, 2011, 09:29:25 AM »
Any love for The Frame? :P
Every time i hear it, i just think it's perfect... the ultimate funeral-song tbh.

Time won't change a thing when i'm gone

:heart

don't think Mike would be delighted with that description, it's supposed to be hopeful
Drowned in Sound
Echoes & Dust
Stereoboard

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #122 on: January 21, 2011, 12:05:57 PM »
I guess a song has different meanings to everyone, not like it matters. :P

Offline SoundscapeMN

« Reply #123 on: January 21, 2011, 04:46:24 PM »
yeah I'm with bodiesinflight in that, especially the climax of the last couple of minutes is really uplifting. I'm not sure though, as it always gives me goosebumps like I get when I hear some incredibly powerful and often sad (melancholy) songs.

Offline Gorille85

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #124 on: January 21, 2011, 04:49:45 PM »
I think it's uplifting but more like accepting something incredibly sad. Like a fatality or something.

Offline SoundscapeMN

« Reply #125 on: January 21, 2011, 04:51:09 PM »
yeah, that makes a lot of sense actually.

Offline bodiesinflight

• I prefer drone
« Reply #126 on: January 22, 2011, 08:54:00 AM »
it's about having a child and how your life changes around that and becomes all the better for it, pretty hopeful message but obviously you can interpret however you want.
Drowned in Sound
Echoes & Dust
Stereoboard

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #127 on: January 22, 2011, 10:58:02 AM »
I'm pretty clueless on what it's about, but the whole "time wont change a thing when im gone" sure sounds sad. :P

Offline ClairvoyantCat

« Reply #128 on: January 22, 2011, 11:02:58 AM »
It always seemed to make sense to me in the context of advice, most likely from father to son (he does say "son"). 

The last line particularly makes sense with this, as in that his life is ending, but he is the frame for another picture/life.

I always took it as a positive song. 

Offline bodiesinflight

• I prefer drone
« Reply #129 on: January 22, 2011, 12:41:25 PM »
I'm pretty clueless on what it's about, but the whole "time wont change a thing when im gone" sure sounds sad. :P

It doesn't sound sad at all to me. It's essentially saying that things will carry on without him, he is not necessary as by then he will have given his son all he needs. His work will be done. It is acceptance of mortality rather than being depressed by it.
Drowned in Sound
Echoes & Dust
Stereoboard

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #130 on: January 22, 2011, 02:41:07 PM »
Ye i guess you can look at it from that point of view, however you look at it, it's still one of their very best songs.  :heart

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #131 on: January 23, 2011, 09:31:33 AM »
Does https://oceansize.co.uk/ that video mean anything? :(

Offline Sigz

• BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD
  • DTF.org Member
  • THRONES FOR THE THRONE SKULL
« Reply #132 on: January 23, 2011, 10:37:02 AM »
I still haven't listened to anything by these guys. RECOMMEND ME AN ALBUM KTHNXBAI
The world is a stage, but the play is badly cast.

Offline ClairvoyantCat

« Reply #133 on: January 23, 2011, 10:40:35 AM »
I still haven't listened to anything by these guys. RECOMMEND ME AN ALBUM KTHNXBAI

They seem right up your alley.  Really any album is good.  Effloresce is their best album, but Everyone into Position is their most accessible.  Frames is also brilliant.  So start with Frames.   

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #134 on: January 23, 2011, 11:50:51 AM »
They seem right up your alley.  Really any album is good.  Effloresce is the best debut, but Everyone into Position is their most accessible.  Frames is their best, one of the best albums ever made.  So start with Frames.   

FTFY

Offline bodiesinflight

• I prefer drone
« Reply #135 on: January 23, 2011, 12:00:10 PM »
Drowned in Sound
Echoes & Dust
Stereoboard

Offline ClairvoyantCat

« Reply #136 on: January 23, 2011, 08:03:06 PM »
Trail of Fire is just  :hefdaddy especially through the really intense part!  God, I love that song!

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #137 on: January 24, 2011, 03:35:26 AM »
Trail of Fire is amazing, but Frames as a whole is probably my favorite album ever made.
All the songs are mindblowing, and i enjoy every second of it.
Effloresce, Everyone Into Position and Self Preserved... are all masterpieces as well, but there's just something about Frames.  :heart

Offline ClairvoyantCat

« Reply #138 on: January 29, 2011, 04:27:53 PM »
I'm loving Self Preserved today!  I've really never enjoyed it  more than today. 
I'm starting to dig the heavy and dense elements much more than I did when I first heard, and thus the album grows on me even more. 

And Trail of Fire starting from 5:49 is still one of the greatest things ever. 

Offline zxlkho

• Official Dream Theater Hater.
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #139 on: January 29, 2011, 04:29:23 PM »
Unfamiliar is easily my favorite Oceansize song. <3 Frames
I AM A GUY
You're a fucking stupid bitch.
Orion....that's the one with a bunch of power chords and boringly harsh vocals, isn't it?