Author Topic: Sleep Token thread  (Read 2547 times)

Offline Blind_FaithX

• I love music
Sleep Token thread
« on: September 26, 2021, 08:12:44 AM »
Very powerful I just love how they manage to vary between beautiful calm melodic parts (with the incredible calm vocals) to very heavy parts.

I thought their last album was great but I feel like this one is even better. They also are the type of band that always play with masks on so no one know what they actually look like.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gN9A19pu8Wk

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tN-I-cFsfCU

PS: If you know any other bands like that, feel free to recommend them.
« Last Edit: January 07, 2023, 10:55:03 AM by Blind_FaithX »
Funny how everything was Roses
When we held on to the Guns
Just because you're winnin'
Don't mean you're the lucky one

Offline goo-goo

Re: Sleep Token- New album: This Place Will Become Your Tomb
« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2021, 06:51:22 AM »
Been spinning this one all weekend. It's a gem. It's a great follow up album but so far, I like the first one more.

Online twosuitsluke

• Dovie'andi se tovya sagain
« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2021, 03:47:53 PM »
I've only given it two listens so far. I liked their last record but this seems like it has the potential to be even better!

Offline Blind_FaithX

• I love music
« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2023, 10:49:09 AM »
Great to know I’m not the only fan here.

Btw, they just released two new songs back to back this week without any warning. New album will be called Take me back to Eden. Can’t wait!

https://youtu.be/-UUSUrr6zyo

https://youtu.be/wJNbtYdr-Hg

Offline goo-goo

Re: Sleep Token thread
« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2023, 08:43:16 AM »
New album is short of being a masterpiece. Probably their best work.  :metal

Offline Blind_FaithX

• I love music
« Reply #5 on: May 21, 2023, 09:42:16 AM »
Only listened to it once I need more listen. It’s a pretty long one:) glad to know you enjoyed it I’ll give it another spin this week end

Offline DoctorAction

• Everyday Glory
« Reply #6 on: May 22, 2023, 04:55:19 AM »
A friend mentioned this band to me (as something he didn't dig) and I just played the latest album.

Really like it. That combo of excellent vocals, modern pop production, gothy gloom and modern djenty metal is very impressively balanced.

EDIT: Second consecutive play through. Wow. Some of it has really hit me in the feels.
« Last Edit: May 22, 2023, 08:21:06 AM by DoctorAction »
The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing.

Offline nikatapi

« Reply #7 on: May 23, 2023, 05:59:43 AM »
I've been following the band since the beginning of their career.
I think take me back to eden will shape up to be my AOTY.

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #8 on: May 23, 2023, 06:19:08 AM »
I wanted to post something here after listening to Take me Back to Eden for the first time this morning, but seeing as there are not a lot of comments in this thread and the ones that are are generally positive, I’ll refrain from saying too much. If you’re a fan of this band, you can skip this comment altogether I guess, but here goes.. wanted to get this off my chest for some reason, as I got increasingly frustrated listening to this thing.

I listened to the album because I’ve seen the name pop up in various online discussions and was extremely underwhelmed. So much so that I considered turning it off after 30 minutes, and then finding out there would be 40 minutes more. I know it’s difficult for any album to convince someone if you’re already fed-up with it halfway through, but it didn’t get better. I really, really disliked this one, it sounded to me like a schizophrenic mess that doesn’t know what it wants to do.

By all means, form your own opinion and don’t take mine for granted, but I don’t think I’ll ever listen to this record again voluntarily. This band is not for me.
Hey dude slow the fuck down so we can finish together at the same time.  :biggrin:
Squ
scRa are the resultaten of sound nog bring propey

Offline Blind_FaithX

• I love music
« Reply #9 on: May 23, 2023, 11:15:16 AM »
It's cool man that's your opinion  :tup

Although I'm not sure exactly why you dislike them so much except that you feel like the music isnt going anywhere. They are very much on the alternative side. Do you enjoy other alternative bands?

Like I said on the OP, what I love about this band is the vocals, the contrast between the soft and heavy parts and most of the melodies. Some bands I used to hate them when I first heard them (PoS) and then I fell in love with their music. I hope you can change your mind. Although, for me, Sleep Token was a total win on the first listen mainly due to the vocals.

Offline goo-goo

« Reply #10 on: May 24, 2023, 10:39:57 AM »

Too bad it wasn't up your alley but that's the beauty of music. Personally, this ST album has been phenomenal. Their sound is very original and love that blend of different genres. Their North American tour sold out but I will just have to buy a ticket on the resale market.

Offline Blind_FaithX

• I love music
« Reply #11 on: May 24, 2023, 11:06:35 AM »

Too bad it wasn't up your alley but that's the beauty of music. Personally, this ST album has been phenomenal. Their sound is very original and love that blend of different genres. Their North American tour sold out but I will just have to buy a ticket on the resale market.

They are not coming to Montreal  :sad:

Online Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #12 on: May 25, 2023, 01:49:19 AM »
So I decided to dip my foot into the pool and see what this band is all about.

I chose to go with their first album, I have only heard Alkaline and Blood Sport (don't really remember much of the two, except I thought Alkaline was very interesting). I am enjoying it quite a bit. Levitate is amazing. What I am enjoying about this band is how they're blending the modern popular sounds of music. Going from the ending of Higher to Take Aim is the perfect example of that genre blending I am talking about. Personally, I love it. If you ask me, I am enjoying the songs like Take Aim, Levitate, Give a lot more than their more metal songs.

I can definitely see why this band is popular and for one, I am very glad they are. It's about time good music gets recognized. What I do find interesting is that it took a band to blend all these styles together, and for some reason, this band hits all those spots. I honestly think it's due to the vocalist being able to sing in all those styles, going from Post Malone to Periphery style growls, plus his warm, soothing type of tone.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline Blind_FaithX

• I love music
« Reply #13 on: May 25, 2023, 05:17:35 AM »
Glad you enjoyed them and I pretty much agree with everything you said. The song you mentioned are indeed in their best. I enjoy the calm/higher vocals a lot on these songs. I also prefer the calm parts rather than the heavy part of sleep token in general but I realized that this tendency is common for me. For instance, in general, I prefer the calm parts to the heavy parts with bands like Riverside and The Pineapple Thief.

Also, if you like calm ST songs, I strongly recommend checking out the song Telomeres off the second album. That song pretty much never gets mentioned, but I personally think it’s their best one. The melody is quite simple but very effective. The lyrics are very interesting as I didn’t know what telomeres was and I learned it thanks to that song. I like the metaphor they do with Telomeres. Also, the song Atlantic off the second album is a pretty good calm one as well.

On a side note, I feel like my favorite albums of ST would go:

1) This place will become your tomb
2) Sundowning
3) Take me back to Eden

I really enjoy their last album and I feel like it’s gonna grow on me more but after 3-4 listen, I feel like the R&B parts aren’t doing much for me and they are way more common on that album than on the others. For example, on Ascensionism, the song starts amazing with great potential but then it turns into a R&B part. It is well done, I just don’t enjoy R&B music in general. The summoning has the same issue although the calm vocals/chorus is stunning on the song.

Offline goo-goo

« Reply #14 on: June 13, 2023, 12:06:26 AM »
Does anyone know what is the trilogy ablut? Seems like the redit SleepToken thread has been moved to private and can’t read about the trilogy.

Offline obelix5150

« Reply #15 on: June 14, 2023, 06:11:26 PM »
One of my favorite bands in modern music, and the new album sets a high bar to beat for Album of the Year.

I think even if one doesn't love the stuff Sleep Token puts out, we're going to find that they are going to have a pretty significant influence on a lot of metal being more open to drawing from more diverse influences, and perhaps more importantly for us progheads, we may well see a greater openness to "weirdness" in the context of successful mainstream rock and metal. (If you'd have told me a year ago that a song like "The Summoning" would go so viral, or that Sleep Token could go from where they were a couple years ago to headlining and selling out Wembley Arena with their brand of weird eclectic highly theatrical and emotional music, I would have told you you're nuts... but here we are.) Sleep Token is showing the broader mainstream metal world that you can be subversive, challenging, ambitious, and strange, and still be profoundly successful. Hopefully it's a lesson that's taken to heart.

All in all, even if you don't love the band, I think their success bodes well for the genre. :)

Offline PixelDream

• Maestro
« Reply #16 on: June 15, 2023, 01:11:12 AM »
Going to see them live at Graspop, curious how it’ll sound live. Checked out their latest and the vocals especially are just processed to oblivion. Musically I quite like it though.
Not 'Down To F***', but 'Dream Theater Forums' .

Offline DoctorAction

• Everyday Glory
« Reply #17 on: June 15, 2023, 03:37:09 PM »
I cooled on them a bit but really like the ballad about self harm on the latest album.

Generally, as obelix said, the uniqueness of this band is great for rock/metal as a whole.
The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing.

Offline bluefox4000

« Reply #18 on: June 15, 2023, 04:07:52 PM »
I tried them on a reccomendation from a friend.  Take me back to Edan.  he told me how amazing and genre bending it was.

ok so it wasn't the best at all but i do have songs i loved so i'll stard there.  when they lean into their metal Side it's really great.  think songs like Vore and the Summoning.  The breakdowns and riffs are really cool and catchy.

i liked the above mentioned songs and tracks like the title song, Euclid is good, Accentionism is awesome.

But when it comes to their pop elements it is really basic and the melding of all this i think is really not as clever as folks make it out to be.

Songs like Granite, Aqua Regia, The Apparition and good God Especially DYWTYLM(retch) really scrap the bottom of the pop barrel.  using the most copy paste pop melodies you'll ever hear (i actually listen to a ton of modern pop so i know and used here it's just cheesy and bad)  Not to mention the pitch shifted vocals (i 100 percent believe they are) it's just all trying to be big and new and failing on most levels.

and also nearly every song is the same.  Piano.  Vessels voice.  pop/RnB beat drop. BIG dgent ending.

so i appreciate the try but i think how genre bending this all is is oversold.  When most of it doesn't really go together......again this is all opinion (and clearly a minority one)  if you enjoy it god bless. 

Offline gmillerdrake

• Proud Father.....Blessed Husband
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • 1 Timothy 2:5
« Reply #19 on: January 10, 2024, 11:40:17 AM »
My oldest is really into these guys....been listening to their music a bit the past few days based off of how much he's digging them. Not bad, I'm not head over heels for it all but it's good stuff. I don't know any of it well enough yet to refer to by name....just started with their most recent album and am working backward.
Without Faith.....Without Hope.....There can be No Peace of Mind

Offline Blind_FaithX

• I love music
« Reply #20 on: January 11, 2024, 02:31:34 PM »
All their albums are great, the first two are more similar in terms of style. The last one is more all over the place (lots of different genres).

Offline gmillerdrake

• Proud Father.....Blessed Husband
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • 1 Timothy 2:5
« Reply #21 on: January 26, 2024, 09:46:07 AM »
Pretty bummed right now.....Sleep Token is coming to our town....playing at a cool venue....and, as usual....waiting in the que to buy tickets I was bested by the bots and folks who are just going to turn around and rape people by scalping the tix.

Just wanted to grab two $49 tickets for me and my son but nope....now I'll need to sell a kidney if I want to get him into the show.
Without Faith.....Without Hope.....There can be No Peace of Mind