Author Topic: Being held on an airplane for hours  (Read 1099 times)

Offline 7StringedBeast

• DTF.org Alumni
Being held on an airplane for hours
« on: December 29, 2010, 02:55:10 PM »
https://www.cnn.com/2010/TRAVEL/12/28/jfk.stuck.tarmac/index.html?hpt=Sbin

New York (CNN) -- Airline passengers who spent 11 hours stuck on the tarmac at John F. Kennedy International Airport were unloaded Tuesday afternoon in the latest example of the frustrating effects of a massive blizzard that delayed thousands of would-be holiday travelers.

The airport, airline and government officials engaged in finger-pointing over delays on the tarmac.

"There were a lot of people on the plane crying," said passenger Christina Edgar. "It was really a tough situation."

She called the situation "just a bad judgment call."

"They kept trying to get us to go, and they kept us on the plane with no choice," Edgar said.

Travelers aboard the Cathay Pacific Airways flight from Vancouver, British Columbia, arrived in New York at 2:12 a.m. ET on Tuesday.

They got off the plane shortly after 1 p.m. ET.

"It wasn't fun with three children sitting there," said passenger Vincent Butcher. "No one has admitted to making any mistakes."

At some point, Butcher said, there was even talk of a ladder being brought out to the runway, but that did not happen. The airline told him it may be at least 48 hours before the family gets its luggage, he said.

Passenger Max Ascui told "AC360" that the crew did a good job but couldn't provide answers on what would happen.

Cathay Pacific spokesman Gus Whitcomb said the airline's intention was "to get passengers to New York as quickly as possible, and we anticipated to have gate space available."

He said the gate typically assigned to the airline had been moved "because of what became a very fluid situation at JFK due to the weather."

Four international flights were stranded at JFK on Tuesday without gates available to unload passengers, officials said.

"We also had four flights come into LaGuardia, but because they were domestic flights we were able to get them off," said Port Authority spokesman Steve Coleman.

Coleman said that because the JFK flights were international, they had to be unloaded in specific customs areas to undergo screening.

"There is just no place that you can dump 1,000 people in a secured area for a period of time," Coleman said.

He said the planes were stranded because the airlines brought them in without checking with terminal operations to see if there was a place to put them.

The airline's website advised passengers on other flights scheduled for Tuesday to check for confirmed departure times before traveling to the airport.

A British Airways spokesman also blamed a lack of gate space for the seven-hour stranding of its passengers on a flight from London.

Aeromexico's Flight 404 landed at JFK from Mexico City at 1:15 a.m., more than two hours behind schedule, but passenger Cristobal Alex said it was six hours before he could walk off the plane.

"We were running out of food and water and the pilot came on to say he had been arguing with the folks at the airport to at least let the police come on board to deliver some food and water," Alex said. "And I guess he lost that fight -- nobody came on."

The airport keeps buses ready to help remove passengers from planes stranded on the tarmacs, "but sometimes the airlines don't inform us," said Coleman.

The Aeromexico jet pulled up to a gate after several hours on the tarmac, but the doors stayed closed until 7 a.m. ET, Alex said.

"Apparently, what happened was the Customs folks went home at 1 a.m. and so everybody coming international kind of had to sit out there in the snow all night," he said.

"It's possible" the lack of a customs staff caused the deplaning delays for international flights, Coleman said, "and that's why we have to look into the whole situation."

"It might have been a situation where too many planes came in with not enough gate space for them," Coleman said.

However, a U.S. Customs and Border Protection spokesman in New York said those reports were incorrect.

"At no point were Customs officials sent home," spokesman John Saleh said.

"For flights arriving after midnight, there is usually one terminal available which is always staffed with Customs officers," said Saleh.

He said Customs officials have been taking multiple shifts to ensure ample staffing, noting that agency has no involvement in passengers deplaning or the removal of their cargo.

Saleh said it is the responsibility of the airlines to notify Customs officials when arriving at JFK.

The fourth international flight stuck on the tarmac was another Cathay Pacific flight, according to the Port Authority, but it was not known where that flight originated or how long it was stranded.

For the passengers who were able to deplane after several hours, some had more frustration ahead -- they were informed they could not access their luggage.

Tai Nickel, a passenger aboard the Aeromexico flight, said "most people were calm" as they waited inside the plane.

"But once we got out, people were more upset because there were no bags," he said.

British Airways Flight 183 arrived in New York a few minutes early Monday night, but it took seven hours before a gate was opened "due to the weather-related problems they have been having lately," an airline spokesman said Tuesday morning.

"We fully apologize to customers for this delay, but it is outside our control what parking stands we are allocated," said the British Airways spokesman.

On the Aeromexico plane, Alex credited flight attendants for keeping their composure.

"They were actually quite nice and pleasant and had a smile on the face throughout the whole ordeal," he said.

Passengers on several other flights also posted Twitter messages complaining they were stuck on the tarmac at JFK overnight.

The Airline Passengers Bill of Rights, which prohibits airlines from letting passengers stay on grounded planes for more than three hours, doesn't apply in these situations.

Kate Hanni, executive director of FlyersRights.org, said the rule doesn't apply to international flights.

This kind of thing is ridiculous.  They have the law that says you can't keep people for more than 3 hours on a plane, but no law exists for international flights.  As often as this kind of thing happens, why haven't airlines implemented any contingency plans? 

These people are paying customers of the airline.  This kind of thing should not be stood for.  Why is this still going on?  It seems there was a huge lack of communication regarding having enough spots to unload these passengers.  And in 11 hours, no one could figure this out.
If anyone in this thread judge him; heyy James WTF? about you in Awake In Japan? Then I will say; WTF about you silly?

Online El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
Re: Being held on an airplane for hours
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2010, 08:23:52 PM »
Flying into FGO, they pulled some steps up to the plane, had us walk down to the tarmac and board a bus that took us to a secure area.  I understand that you can't just let international PAX stroll off into the terminal, but it sure does seem like it shouldn't be that hard to set up a secure area someplace near the penalty boxes so that they don't have to sit on the plane all night.  Barring that, there's no reason why the airline can't deliver new food carts.  There are plenty of reasonable means that a situation like that could be handled.  It's just that nobody's been interested in dreaming one up.  Eventually, a heart attack or DVT will probably take out a PAX in a situation like this and then they'll have to make a better plan. 
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline Perpetual Change

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2010, 06:53:55 AM »
Geez. I had no idea this happened. I flew in from Hong Kong on China Airlines Christmas Day, but I usually go Cathay simply because I think it's the best when you factor in price and services. I didn't know they had a habit of stranding people on runways for 11 hours or so...

Thankfully, my flight managed to get in without a problem. After 5 hours from Hong Kong to Beijing and another 12 from Beijing to JFK, 11 hours waiting next to the gate would have really pissed me off.

Still, with my only goal being to actually be home for Christmas dinner, I can't believe I actually booked a flight that was supposed to arrive Christmas Day around noon, not taking into consideration problems like "well what if it snows?"

Offline 7StringedBeast

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3 on: December 30, 2010, 08:11:33 AM »
It just baffles me that in 11 hours no one could figure out how to get these people off a plane and to someplace a little bit more comfortable.  This kind of thing needs to stop happening.  People pay for the service to get flown around.  Port Authorities need to get their shit together and come up with a plan for this sort of thing.  It really is unacceptable.
If anyone in this thread judge him; heyy James WTF? about you in Awake In Japan? Then I will say; WTF about you silly?