Author Topic: SO IM FINALLY GETTING AN ELECTRIC GUITAR  (Read 5703 times)

Offline True Death of Life

• The hair, the legend
SO IM FINALLY GETTING AN ELECTRIC GUITAR
« on: December 28, 2010, 08:26:34 PM »
but I need your help desperately. See, I love guitar, but I don't no much about solid-bodied instruments.

Here's where I constantly go...

https://used.guitarcenter.com/usedgear/index.cfm

If you know any amazing guitars that are $500 or lower, tell me...I just always tend to look at used gear. (If anyone is willing to look at stuff that has the zip code 18104, is from $200 to $500, and is within 60 miles, that'd be awesome...when I copied the link that info didn't stay.)

I want a guitar that can be used for multiple genres, and that is not too "equipped" or complicated; I'm still new with these electric thingys!

Thanks guys!

Offline antigoon

• Not Elvis
  • DT.net Veteran
  • This was a triumph.
Re: SO IM FINALLY GETTING AN ELECTRIC GUITAR
« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2010, 08:31:17 PM »
You could probably get a used Fender standard Stratocaster for well under $500. They're pretty darn versatile.

Offline millahh

• Retired Pedantic Bastard
  • Moderator Emeritus
  • RIP Mark
« Reply #2 on: December 28, 2010, 08:35:27 PM »
You could probably get a used Fender standard Stratocaster for well under $500. They're pretty darn versatile.

I was going to say the exact same thing.  Probably $300-350.
Quote from: parallax
WHEN WILL YOU ADRESS MY MONKEY ARGUMENT???? NEVER???? THAT\' WHAT I FIGURED.:lol

Offline ddtonfire

« Reply #3 on: December 28, 2010, 08:38:23 PM »
Get a Fat Strat. You'll be happier with a nice humbucking pickup in the bridge slot.

• The hair, the legend
« Reply #4 on: December 28, 2010, 08:45:23 PM »
One other thing:

I question their versatility, but I've always loved Schecters and Jacksons. (Not a fan of Ibanez). I find Fenders alright, but I've played a few and none have stuck me like these two other brands.

Thanks guys! Strats are on my "Plan B" list--I found a gorgeous Highway 1 and plenty of Strats way under $500.   :tup

Offline antigoon

• Not Elvis
  • DT.net Veteran
  • This was a triumph.
« Reply #5 on: December 28, 2010, 09:09:55 PM »
One other thing:

I question their versatility, but I've always loved Schecters and Jacksons. (Not a fan of Ibanez). I find Fenders alright, but I've played a few and none have stuck me like these two other brands.

Thanks guys! Strats are on my "Plan B" list--I found a gorgeous Highway 1 and plenty of Strats way under $500.   :tup

I have a Highway One! It's an EXCELLENT guitar, and the pickups are hotter than what they put in their standard strats so they handle distortion well. I've had mine for a little over a year and I've nothing but great things to say about it.

And yeah, I don't think you're going to find that metal guitars like that are very versatile.

Offline Ultimetalhead

• The Mighty Masturbator
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • .ay rof dab s'ti dna...
« Reply #6 on: December 28, 2010, 11:07:51 PM »
Schecters are the sexiest instruments known to man. I'm not one to believe that the guitar you have governs what music you play. Iron Maiden plays metal on Strats, and Devin plays bone-crushing metal and soul-touching melodies on a Peavey. Shit doesn't matter at all.

If you want a good guitar that's still crazy cheap, the Dean Vendettas go for extremely cheap, and they're definitely not bad instruments. Good for a beginner. Upgrade to the Schecter when you feel you're ready. Jackson's aren't bad either.
Orion....that's the one with a bunch of power chords and boringly harsh vocals, isn't it?
LOOK AT THIS AWESOME SHIT AHHHHHH

Offline sneakyblueberry

• put me in coach
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #7 on: December 28, 2010, 11:11:30 PM »
Get a Fat Strat. You'll be happier with a nice humbucking pickup in the bridge slot.

This.  If you get a strat, make sure you get one of theeeseses

Offline antigoon

• Not Elvis
  • DT.net Veteran
  • This was a triumph.
« Reply #8 on: December 28, 2010, 11:17:15 PM »
Yeah, but you're not going to get a nice clean sound out of a shitty beginner's metal guitar, and you're not going to get the distorted metal sound you want out of a Squier. So yeah, Iron Maiden plays metal on Strat-type guitars that have humbuckers, and Devin plays whatever he plays on a top-of-the-line Peavey.

Offline antigoon

• Not Elvis
  • DT.net Veteran
  • This was a triumph.
« Reply #9 on: December 28, 2010, 11:18:45 PM »

Assuming she wants to play high gain stuff, yes.

Offline Ultimetalhead

• The Mighty Masturbator
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #10 on: December 28, 2010, 11:33:28 PM »
I get good clean tones out of my Schecter, and I've gotten good tones out of Deans as well. Sure, Deans aren't the best guitars in the world, but calling them a "shitty beginner's metal guitar" couldn't be further from the truth.
Orion....that's the one with a bunch of power chords and boringly harsh vocals, isn't it?

Offline antigoon

• Not Elvis
  • DT.net Veteran
  • This was a triumph.
« Reply #11 on: December 29, 2010, 12:07:14 AM »
Oh, I wasn't calling Dean guitars shitty, I'm just saying generally with inexpensive "metal" guitars that's likely to be the case.

Offline cthrubuoy

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #12 on: December 29, 2010, 12:18:54 AM »
Coming from someone who owned a lower range Jackson, I'd advise against them unless you're solely playing metal. They're lovely guitars, especially to play higher up the neck, but the clean tone is a bit shit.
(I upgraded to a PRS... mmmm....)

From that list, I can see an few ESPs for under 500, a few Strats, a few Epiphones.

Your best bet is to go and try them out though. It's been said in many threads round here and everywhere else on the internet but you really need to try a guitar before you buy. I could tell you that a PRS (for example) is the best feeling guitar to play on, and they sounds amazing. While that may be true for me, it may feel shit for you due to neck size/fret size compared to what your used to, it may have a body shape that doesn't suit the way you stand/sit, and it may not have the exact tone you're really looking for. If you only take one piece of advice from this thread, it should be try before you buy.  :hat

Happy guitaring.
« Last Edit: December 29, 2010, 12:27:29 AM by cthrubuoy »

Offline sneakyblueberry

• put me in coach
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #13 on: December 29, 2010, 06:51:42 AM »

Assuming she wants to play high gain stuff, yes.

Yeah, for sure.  Although I just think the single coil in the bridge on my Highway 1 is terribad.  I almost never use it. 

Offline ddtonfire

« Reply #14 on: December 29, 2010, 07:25:40 AM »
And, for an amp, I'd recommend something from the Line 6 Spider series for starters. You can get a decent range of useable tones for a good price.

Offline Marvellous G

• I'm not sure on the avatar swearing policy...
« Reply #15 on: December 29, 2010, 07:48:40 AM »
My setup is and has been my Vox VT30 amp and Mexican Fender Strat for a few years now, and that came to under £500 or maybe just over, and I'm completely content with it. I'd say go for something like that, you won't need anything else for a while. Or you could get a Vintage Les Paul for cheap, and they're excellent too, so if you're gonna be playing more metal go for that.

Offline brakkum

• DT.net Member
  • Bass Boy
« Reply #16 on: December 29, 2010, 08:26:47 AM »
Just go try out used stuff near you. The ultimate deciding factor is what YOU think. Try anything and everything you can.
https://concertculture.blogspot.com/

https://brakmusic.tumblr.com/

And on the 8th day, God created Dream Theater. God then proceeded to rock out with his cock out.

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #17 on: December 29, 2010, 02:05:51 PM »
That Scheter for $349 in there looks pretty good.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline Ultimetalhead

• The Mighty Masturbator
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #18 on: December 29, 2010, 04:36:49 PM »
That Scheter for $349 in there looks pretty good.
Yes, a Hellraiser for $349 is a fucking steal. Changing the strings is a bitch though, assuming it's the Floyd Rose model.

Offline antigoon

• Not Elvis
  • DT.net Veteran
  • This was a triumph.
« Reply #19 on: December 29, 2010, 04:52:40 PM »
DO NOT GET A GUITAR WITH A FLOYD ROSE.

Offline ddtonfire

« Reply #20 on: December 29, 2010, 04:54:03 PM »
^ For starters, definitely this. You don't want to start with double-locking tremolo.

Offline pogoowner

• Pancake Bunny
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #21 on: December 29, 2010, 04:59:28 PM »
Agreed. Huge pain in the ass.

Offline Sir GuitarCozmo

• Official Forum Sous Chef and broler5
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Kelly Clarkson BEEFS
« Reply #22 on: December 29, 2010, 06:14:40 PM »
Just go try out used stuff near you. The ultimate deciding factor is what YOU think. Try anything and everything you can.

THIS.  Do not ever get a guitar without trying out a bunch of them first, to be sure that you are getting one that FEELS right for you.  Vitally important.

Agreed. Huge pain in the ass.

Yes.  Major pain in the ass for a beginner, regardless of how cool they sound.

I've loved my Ibanez guitars and can get great clean and dirty tones from them.

Offline Birch Boy

• DTF's Heavy Metal Hippie
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #23 on: December 30, 2010, 12:11:04 AM »
If you want a good guitar that's still crazy cheap, the Dean Vendettas go for extremely cheap, and they're definitely not bad instruments. Good for a beginner.
Just bought my brother's from him. It has a camo finish. I love it. I'm just learning. I got it for $120 with an amp, case, and stand, so it wasn't a bad deal.

Offline sonatafanica

• cocksucking maniac
  • DTF.org Member
  • ☠☠☠☠☠☠jesus take the wheel☠☠☠☠☠☠
« Reply #24 on: December 30, 2010, 12:43:48 AM »
Never get anything with a Floyd Rose. It prevents you from actually making music and you end up just wanking and wailing all over the place.

actually, buy one and post vid

Offline TheCor

« Reply #25 on: December 30, 2010, 04:14:21 AM »
I'd advise against Schecter.  A bunch of my friends play them and as the unofficial guitar tech of the group I've had to do work on EVERY SINGLE ONE of them, ranging from electronics, to shitty hardware that broke, fretwork, and beyond.  On a Schecter bass my friend had the fretboard separate from the neck, and it was pretty much totally screwed.  These weren't the top of the line models but they were still like $600-800 guitars; they shouldn't just fall apart like that.  Sure they look nice and sound decent but the quality is extremely sub-par in my experience.

Offline ddtonfire

« Reply #26 on: December 30, 2010, 12:57:40 PM »
Did you get your caps lock fixed, btw?

Offline Ultimetalhead

• The Mighty Masturbator
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #27 on: December 30, 2010, 08:12:58 PM »
Never get anything with a Floyd Rose. It prevents you from actually making music and you end up just wanking and wailing all over the place.

actually, buy one and post vid
I have a Floyd Rose. I've not had any such problems. :p

Offline Sir GuitarCozmo

• Official Forum Sous Chef and broler5
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Kelly Clarkson BEEFS
« Reply #28 on: January 01, 2011, 08:52:47 PM »
Ummm, nor have I.  That's what you do with a Floyd Rose if you don't know what you're doing.

• The hair, the legend
« Reply #29 on: January 04, 2011, 09:40:25 PM »
Wow guys, thanks for all the feedback! I actually have a little notepad with all your advice.

The Hellraiser was one of the 1st guitars I looked at years ago...but the Floyd Rose shit intimidated me :lol

Any  :metal guitars with a good clean setting?

Offline ddtonfire

« Reply #30 on: January 04, 2011, 10:19:43 PM »
Any  :metal guitars with a good clean setting?

Fender Fat Strat for sure!

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #31 on: January 05, 2011, 04:36:10 AM »

Rubbish.

I've had a floyd rose for most of my guitar playing time and after playing around with them and actually discovering how to use them and work with them, I have never looked back.  They are there to enhance your sound, and with practice and time, this is exactly what they do.

The only negative thing I would say about a floyd rose for me anyway, is that I use it a lot simply for a wider vibrato and therefore can make your natural vibrato in your fretting hand almost non existent, which is lazy, it sounds amazing, but make sure you nail your natural left hand vibrato before dabbling in a floyd rose.

For beginners though I would get a cheaper guitar with a fixed bridge, then work your way up to a floyd rose.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline sneakyblueberry

• put me in coach
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #32 on: January 05, 2011, 05:44:05 AM »
I GOT AN AMERICAN STANDARD TELE FOR MY 21ST BIRTHDAY THE OTHER WEEK AND IT IS AWESOME!!!!!!

That is all.

Offline sonatafanica

• cocksucking maniac
  • DTF.org Member
  • ☠☠☠☠☠☠jesus take the wheel☠☠☠☠☠☠
« Reply #33 on: January 07, 2011, 12:16:43 AM »

Rubbish.

You're rubbish.

Offline andreas_adelek

« Reply #34 on: January 07, 2011, 07:40:36 AM »
I would suggest PRS SE (i prefer a stop tailpice model). I have played a good amount of guitars (stock, custom made, handbuilt), also i have been playing for over 10 years and i think that this is your best choice if you are a beginner.

But keep in mind that you will also need to invest in a tuner if you cant tune with your ear
Sorry for my bad english  :biggrin: