Dream Theater > Dream Theater

DT compared to other prog bands

(1/8) > >>

Nekov:
I don't know if this has been discussed so excuse me if it was.

I have recently discovered this forum and since MP left DT I've been reading a lot here and in other forums. One thing I see a lot is people complaining about the musical direction that DT has taken over the few albums. Of course we are all entitled to our own opinions and I'm not gonna say anything about that but I actually want to compare DT with the rest of the prog bands and their development because I think this is something common for prog bands in their endless search for a new sound.

Let's take Yes as the first example. They released 5 amazing albums (The Yes Album through Relayer) and were at the peak of their carreer. They then released going for the one which was not great but a good album. After that they started releasing albums which fans didn't really dig into cause it was something very different to what everyone expected.
Same thing with Rush. Until Moving Pictures everything was great but then started releasing records more keyboard driven which fans didn't really like. Even MP said that when Rush started using a lot of synths he stopped listening to them.
King Crimson would be another good example. Before the break-up they released 7 amazing albums but when they came back with Discipline people didn't really like it.
Something very similar happened to ELP and Genesis after their break up.

My point here is very simple. DT is a prog band, and prog bands along the years change because they do not seek to make money out of music but they actually like to explore new sounds and are constantly re-inventing themselves. And as we all now it is not an easy task. And I know maybe now a lot of people are not happy with DT latest records but I am sure that in a couple of years when we all look back to this era we will find that it might not be DT's best but it is part of what a true band is.

Fiery Winds:
I see what you're saying, and while I'm not well versed in the world of prog, I would venture to say that a lot of the people who are unhappy with their last few outputs aren't upset because the sound is different.  I think they are unhappy because they seem to be moving away from prog in general.  Earlier albums were prog with metal.  It's now starting to switch around to metal with a dash of prog. 

Adami:

--- Quote from: Fiery Winds on December 28, 2010, 12:26:11 PM ---I see what you're saying, and while I'm not well versed in the world of prog, I would venture to say that a lot of the people who are unhappy with their last few outputs aren't upset because the sound is different.  I think they are unhappy because they seem to be moving away from prog in general.  Earlier albums were prog with metal.  It's now starting to switch around to metal with a dash of prog. 

--- End quote ---

I think people who lost interest in the last few albums did so due to a major decline in quality, not some principle of staying true to prog.

antigoon:
I'm sorry, but Dream Theater's past couple of records (TO ME) are all very samey. Also, lol at "true band."

EDIT: Do you really think DT is on an endless search for a new sound? Maybe in the 90s, but now? They explicitly make musical decisions based on their fanbase!

Fiery Winds:

--- Quote from: Adami on December 28, 2010, 12:27:46 PM ---
--- Quote from: Fiery Winds on December 28, 2010, 12:26:11 PM ---I see what you're saying, and while I'm not well versed in the world of prog, I would venture to say that a lot of the people who are unhappy with their last few outputs aren't upset because the sound is different.  I think they are unhappy because they seem to be moving away from prog in general.  Earlier albums were prog with metal.  It's now starting to switch around to metal with a dash of prog. 

--- End quote ---

I think people who lost interest in the last few albums did so due to a major decline in quality, not some principle of staying true to prog.

--- End quote ---

I think those two points are really one and the same.  Coming from a metal background myself, I enjoy the last few albums as much as the rest of the catalog, and as metal songs, they're great.  I'll concede lyrics have declined, however.     

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version