Author Topic: 2010 = your most productive amount of music listening?  (Read 4042 times)

Offline SPNKr

• DTF.org Member
2010 = your most productive amount of music listening?
« on: December 27, 2010, 08:40:15 PM »
For me it has been. What a year. :metal :hat

Offline dethklok09

• Mike
  • Great band
Re: 2010 = your most productive amount of music listening?
« Reply #1 on: December 27, 2010, 08:42:39 PM »
indeed, and my exploration of genres past rock and metal, i have explored progressive rock, prog metal, jazz, classical, pop, dubstep, and many others. also the year I discovered dream theater, a mix of almost everything I like in music

Offline sonatafanica

• cocksucking maniac
  • DTF.org Member
  • ☠☠☠☠☠☠jesus take the wheel☠☠☠☠☠☠
« Reply #2 on: December 27, 2010, 08:50:01 PM »
I wouldn't classify it as "productive" in any way, shape, or form.

But I did do a lot of it this year and enjoyed it.

Offline 73109

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #3 on: December 27, 2010, 08:50:31 PM »
Yes. This year I have explored to other places than just Metallica and a bunch of classic rock bands. And I plan on this year being even better. I have a list of 60 or so artists, all of whom I am vowing to check out before 2011 is out.

Offline SoundscapeMN

« Reply #4 on: December 27, 2010, 08:55:31 PM »
no, I listened to a ton of music, but in terms of significance and getting addicted to bands/albums, 2005, 2007, and even 2009 were deeper and more important. And in terms of pure numbers, I definitely heard more albums those years. Why? I dunno, I suppose it's partially due to those recent years being so prolific, I paced myself more this year. Also I listened to more talk radio and podcasts this year at work. Next year? well, given for an unknown amount of time I won't likely have any time to listen to music at work as I start a brand new job the 2nd week of the year, that has 6 months of training, I may look at 2010 as being the last year I took-in 1500 hours of music in a long time.

Or, maybe I'll start listening to music at other times to compensate (working out, at home, etc), since 90% of the music I listen to, I do at work (40 hours/week desk job).

Offline Keyboardframe

• Banned from P/R
« Reply #5 on: December 27, 2010, 08:59:48 PM »
yup, I stopped listening to prog and moved on to better things. my best year for music ever (has nothing to do with new releases, though, though they were awesome too)

Offline SPNKr

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #6 on: December 27, 2010, 09:07:58 PM »
I also meant in general. I, for one, cannot wait for 2011. Bring on the future!

It will only get better.

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #7 on: December 27, 2010, 09:15:31 PM »
I'd say I definitely discovered quite a few artists I hadn't heard much of before - Marillion (well, I caught up on them, got TONS of their stuff), Chicago, Queen (finally got most of their albums!), Bozzio Levin Stevens (even though they only have 2 albums), District 97, Mars Hollow, and a few more that I can't think of right now.

I know having done various Survivors in the subforum here has led me to listening to albums more constantly/consistently than ever, so that's helped a lot. I feel like whenever I'm not busy, or at work, I am listening to music on my iPod...heck, even sometimes AT work (I've uploaded albums onto my computer there, so when it's slow and there's not much for ME to do, I'll have some music playing).

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Offline ClairvoyantCat

• DT is no longer Majesty.
« Reply #8 on: December 27, 2010, 09:20:30 PM »
By the fantastic records that came from this year alone, not to mention the new discoveries and what not!  So yes!

Online Jamesman42

• There you'll find me
  • DT.net Member
  • Spiral OUT
« Reply #9 on: December 27, 2010, 11:07:30 PM »
Hmm, this year has been very productive, finding/exploring new bands and such.

Future of Forestry
Cloudkicker
Rush
Thrice
Transatlantic
David Crowder Band
mewithoutYou

And probably more. Great year.

Offline sonatafanica

• cocksucking maniac
  • DTF.org Member
  • ☠☠☠☠☠☠jesus take the wheel☠☠☠☠☠☠
« Reply #10 on: December 27, 2010, 11:22:23 PM »
I did learn about and sample very many different types of music and my musical palette has become much more colorful.

Offline Gadough

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #11 on: December 28, 2010, 12:26:27 AM »
Not for me, at all. I spent the year listening to the same 5 or 6 bands, and almost nothing else. :lol
Gadough isn't Hitler. He's much, much worse.

Offline wjc

« Reply #12 on: December 28, 2010, 12:40:25 AM »
Well at the beginning of this year I had just gotten my first two PT albums (IA and FoaBP), and I spent most of the rest of the year getting a grip on their discography. Most of the broadening of my musical horizons this year though has come in the last couple of months as I've been going through my list of bands I want to get into, which has left me thoroughly music'd out now...
Have your say in DT: The League

Offline BanksD

« Reply #13 on: December 28, 2010, 07:39:12 AM »
Definitely. At the beginning of the year I spent most of my time listening to music listening to Dave Matthews Band, but then I met some new people who liked a lot of different bands than I did, and so after I started to get bored of listening to DMB all the time I decided to ask them for some recommendations and some of the things they recommended blew me away. After listening to some of those things I branched out even further and discovered alot more bands that I ended up liking.

Some of the bands I've gotten into this year are:

Rush
Dream Theater
Scar Symmetry
Solution .45
Avenged Sevenfold
Metallica
Iron Maiden
Coheed & Cambria
Led Zeppelin
Pearl Jam
R.E.M
Rise Against
Styx

There are a few more that I might be forgetting but oh well my point remains.

Offline ZBomber

• "The Analogy Guy"
  • A Farewell to Kings
« Reply #14 on: December 28, 2010, 08:00:05 AM »
Well at the beginning of this year I had just gotten my first two PT albums (IA and FoaBP), and I spent most of the rest of the year getting a grip on their discography.

This, except it was my second and third PT albums (IA and Deadwing). One of the best musical discoveries I've ever made, along with all the other SW projects.

Other than that, there hasn't been too much. Got into Genesis, some Mars Volta, and Eisley. Thats pretty much it.

Offline TheOutlawXanadu

• The Original Unseasoned Fan
  • DTF.com Member
  • The Original Unseasoned Fan
« Reply #15 on: December 28, 2010, 08:11:06 AM »
This year I stopped downloading music, so I focused more on picking out certain bands I knew, but not all that well, and playing the balls out of them.

I much preferred that strategy to my 2008, "I'm going to listen to 100 new artists this year" strategy.
:TOX: <-- My own emoticon!

Offline ZBomber

• "The Analogy Guy"
  • A Farewell to Kings
« Reply #16 on: December 28, 2010, 08:18:59 AM »
This year I stopped downloading music, so I focused more on picking out certain bands I knew, but not all that well, and playing the balls out of them.

I much preferred that strategy to my 2008, "I'm going to listen to 100 new artists this year" strategy.

:tup I hate downloading music solely because it does not give me the same satisfaction buying the album does. I feel like when I buy an album, I tend to want to get into the music even more. As Steven Wilson said before, it takes 10 seconds to download an album, and 10 seconds to just as easily disregard it and move on to something else.

Plus, when you download so much music at once, its hard to give the proper amount of time to each album.

Online Jamesman42

• There you'll find me
  • DT.net Member
  • Spiral OUT
« Reply #17 on: December 28, 2010, 08:21:56 AM »

:tup I hate downloading music solely because it does not give me the same satisfaction buying the album does. I feel like when I buy an album, I tend to want to get into the music even more. As Steven Wilson said before, it takes 10 seconds to download an album, and 10 seconds to just as easily disregard it and move on to something else.

Plus, when you download so much music at once, its hard to give the proper amount of time to each album.

Agreed. I used to be like that where I'd dl all kinds of music, and would try to go far with it instead of deep. Nowadays I like to go deep into the music, getting to know it, instead of trying to proclaim I listen to 300 artists regularly.

Offline Lowdz

« Reply #18 on: December 28, 2010, 01:32:26 PM »
not for me. Probably the worst for listening to music for a number of reasons; two young kids, my partner is very ill, and probably the biggest reason is I passed my driving test. Now instead of getting the bus to work and getting two hours a day at least to listen to the mp3 player I get 15 minutes there and half an hour on the return.
Over the last five years or so my guitar playing has gone from ok to crap too.

Offline SPNKr

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #19 on: December 28, 2010, 08:33:17 PM »

I have to disagree.

Offline lateralus88

• The Official DTF Stanley Kubrick Fanboi
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • I stabbed Euronymous because he drank my PBR
« Reply #20 on: December 28, 2010, 10:10:36 PM »
Not the most productive, but I discovered a fantastic amount of music and a love for music I never thought much of in the past. Good enough, I suppose.
I felt its length in quite a few places.

Awesome Majesty Pendant Club: Member #3

Offline SPNKr

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #21 on: December 28, 2010, 10:21:38 PM »
Yeah I came to like music that I never thought much of in the past, too.

Offline pain of occupation

• DT.net Veteran
  • DTF Official Thread Killer
« Reply #22 on: December 29, 2010, 11:19:47 AM »
yup, I stopped listening to prog and moved on to better things.

fail...epic fail, even.

Offline Nekov

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #23 on: December 29, 2010, 11:46:50 AM »
I wouldn't say it was a great year for musical discovery. There were a few nice ones though.

Devin Townsend
Bigelf
Marco Minnemann

mmm I think that's about it....
When Ginobili gets hot, I get hot in my pants. 

Offline ZBomber

• "The Analogy Guy"
  • A Farewell to Kings
« Reply #24 on: December 29, 2010, 02:18:02 PM »

I have to disagree.

I'm confused why you posted a picture of George Bush?  :lol

Offline SPNKr

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #25 on: December 29, 2010, 04:55:21 PM »
Because my comment was supposed to be its caption. :blush

Offline Fuzzboy

• I'm keepin the damn christmas avatar
« Reply #26 on: December 29, 2010, 10:01:40 PM »
I stopped listening to prog and moved on to better things.

This, but I wouldn't say this year was any more productive than last year in terms of the quantity of music I listened to, just the variety.
women cops are a joke

to get a boner is just put pressure on the dick

Offline Keyboardframe

• Banned from P/R
« Reply #27 on: December 29, 2010, 10:32:20 PM »

fail...epic fail, even.

And the oh-so-original "fail...epic fail" to a simple opinion shows me what kind of person you are ;)

It's a shame your name is a play on Pain of Salvation, they need less fans like you.

Offline orcus116

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #28 on: December 30, 2010, 12:37:40 AM »
I stopped listening to prog and moved on to better things.

This, but I wouldn't say this year was any more productive than last year in terms of the quantity of music I listened to, just the variety.

All of this. Plus I got to see The Will Destroy You live twice, the first of which was easily one of the best concert experiences of my life. Also Isis' last show in Boston.

Offline Marvellous G

• I'm not sure on the avatar swearing policy...
« Reply #29 on: December 30, 2010, 06:02:33 AM »
I actually do think my movement way out of listening to prog was more productive. Not trollin', just saying.

Offline pain of occupation

• DT.net Veteran
  • DTF Official Thread Killer
« Reply #30 on: December 30, 2010, 12:38:49 PM »

fail...epic fail, even.

And the oh-so-original "fail...epic fail" to a simple opinion shows me what kind of person you are ;)

It's a shame your name is a play on Pain of Salvation, they need less fans like you.

actually they need more fans like me (street team, baby!)...they need more fans period.

it woulda been far less 'fail' if you had moved on to other things, rather than better things

Online Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #31 on: December 30, 2010, 02:49:36 PM »
I dunno about listening, but I wrote over 50 songs. That's pretty productive.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline 7StringedBeast

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #32 on: December 30, 2010, 02:55:11 PM »
As far as music listening goes this has been kinda a crappy year.  However its been an awesome year for concerts.

Ever since I stopped driving, I don't really get to listen to music as much anymore.  It sucks.  I'm going to rectify this hopefully soon by bringing my mp3 player on the subway more often or try and find time after work to sit with the lights off and listen.

This year I did get heavily into Devin Townsend.  It took me 4 years of owning Terria for it to happen though. 
If anyone in this thread judge him; heyy James WTF? about you in Awake In Japan? Then I will say; WTF about you silly?

Offline setrataeso

• Setlist Archivist
  • DTF.org Member
  • I probably don't like you
« Reply #33 on: December 30, 2010, 08:34:25 PM »
I think this has been a very productive year for me music-listening-wise. The lack of releases that I was interested in for 2010 allowed me to delve deeper into other artists that I was curious about before.

This year I became a fan of:

The Mars Volta
Mastodon
Sonata Arctica
Megadeth
Wolverine
Coheed & Cambria
dredg
Frost*
Lady Gaga
Opeth
Redemption
Tool

I got to delve back into older bands like Pink Floyd, Yes, Jethro Tull and Iron Maiden which I had taken a break from for a while.

To check out more of in 2011:

Gavin Harrison and 05ric
Pineapple Thief
Anathema
Blackfield
Tiles
Queensryche

Any other suggestions?
NEW REVIEW: Lady Gaga - Born This Way
https://www.dreamtheaterforums.org/boards/index.php?topic=25343.0

Setra, I think that is the best statement I have read on this forum.  Very well said.