Author Topic: Who else would be disappointed if Mangini is the chosen one?  (Read 44212 times)

Offline Miyazaki74

Re: Who else would be disappointed if Mangini is the chosen one?
« Reply #140 on: February 23, 2011, 03:55:29 PM »
I'm sure whoever they picked is going to be as good or a better drummer than Mike. Peronally I think it would be awesome if  they picked Virgil Donati or Roy Royster Jr.. I doubt either of them even auditioned.

Offline tedy

« Reply #141 on: February 23, 2011, 04:06:24 PM »
Hy to everybody, it's my first post here, i'm from Croatia!
I think that if Mike Mangini is the chosen one - IT IS A VERY GOOD CHOICE!
Together  with JP, JR, JM and JL, it is a mind blowing combination!
Mangini is a better fit for the sort of music that I hope to hear on the next album.
Just my opinion.   :)

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #142 on: February 23, 2011, 04:19:51 PM »
Mangini is a better fit for the sort of music that I hope to hear on the next album.

Welcome tedy!!
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline rmp0012002

« Reply #143 on: February 23, 2011, 04:35:55 PM »
I just think it has to someone like Mangini or Marco.  I don't think the auditions were what really made their decision on who they selected but rather someone they know and worked with on other projects.  With the issues they've had over the years with personalities I doubt they would hire someone they didn't really know and then get in the studio and on the road and realize they can't get along.

Offline dongringo

« Reply #144 on: February 23, 2011, 04:57:20 PM »

I like you already!
.......__o
.......\ <,
....( )/ ( )

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #145 on: February 23, 2011, 05:00:41 PM »
I know jack sh*t about Mangini, so wiki'ed him and found this.

Mike Mangini started playing the drums when he was five years old. He would practice six to ten hours a day and by the time he was nine he was already mimicking Buddy Rich performances. By high school, he was performing in school bands and participating in the prestigious All-County, All-State, and all Eastern United States ensembles.

After graduating from Waltham Senior High School in 1981, Mangini put aside his music studies to pursue a Computer Science major at Bentley College. After graduating Mike started programming software for the Patriot Missile program. At the same time, he was working on a program that studied the links between the human brain and body. These two experiences have helped Mike in the development of his Rhythm Knowledge learning systems.

Maybe that is common knowledge to everyone but me, but it gets a  :metal in my book.
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline Bertielee

• RIP, Dad (1935-2017)
« Reply #146 on: February 24, 2011, 02:01:56 AM »
I know jack sh*t about Mangini, so wiki'ed him and found this.

Mike Mangini started playing the drums when he was five years old. He would practice six to ten hours a day and by the time he was nine he was already mimicking Buddy Rich performances. By high school, he was performing in school bands and participating in the prestigious All-County, All-State, and all Eastern United States ensembles.

After graduating from Waltham Senior High School in 1981, Mangini put aside his music studies to pursue a Computer Science major at Bentley College. After graduating Mike started programming software for the Patriot Missile program. At the same time, he was working on a program that studied the links between the human brain and body. These two experiences have helped Mike in the development of his Rhythm Knowledge learning systems.

Maybe that is common knowledge to everyone but me, but it gets a  :metal in my book.

Impressive, indeed!

B.Lee
"Life is divided into two sets of people : people who have lost and people who haven't yet." George Michael

Offline tedy

« Reply #147 on: February 24, 2011, 04:17:58 AM »
Something new from Mangini's site:

"Feb 23: I am attempting to finally settle the new recording gear so it works. A totally upgraded drum kit is up and running as well. The EPro and come custom pads really open a world of sounds with both the hands and feet. This is crazy fun!!"

https://www.mikemangini.com/news.htm

Offline EstyMaJ

« Reply #148 on: February 24, 2011, 07:33:41 AM »
Im not sure now ,  I have been listening to JLB's  EOP album alot lately and whatever else i can find Mangini playing on and  i cant help but think he has a great groove going and fast feet but the fills never do anything for me Im Kida wishing it could be Marco Minnemann I really like everything about what he does

Offline robwebster

« Reply #149 on: February 24, 2011, 07:49:58 AM »
Wouldn't be disappointed at all by Mangini, and given the CV and the unspecified recording prokect - and, of course, the occasional anecdotes who do, naturally, need to be taken with a pinch of salt, but evidence is evidence - he's the only candidate who has a solid body of evidence pointing his way, and doesn't really have "anything else" on. The man's a phenomenal drummer, and one of the few people who genuinely makes the mind boggle.

I will say, however, that Minnemann is my first choice. I like Minnemann's attitude a lot. I think his drumming's got a lot more character, while being technically incredibly tight. A little bit like a middle ground between a drummer like Portnoy with all the fun and the chaos, and a drummer like Gavin Harrison with the very precise and well-crafted beats. I also really like the idea of a drummer who can collaborate in a very intelligent musical way. I think having a drummer who's also a guitarist could add a lot to the writing process.

Offline teoevans

« Reply #150 on: February 24, 2011, 09:35:35 AM »
Totally disappointed  :tdwn

Offline Mebert78

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #151 on: February 24, 2011, 09:52:54 AM »
Personally, getting the most technically proficient drummer doesn't matter to me.  I want DT to get the guy whose personality most clicks with the other band members and who they most enjoy being around.  That chemistry will lead to a great ability to work together and great music, and keep DT "fun" for the band members. 
An unofficial online community for fans of keyboardist Kevin Moore (ex-Dream Theater, Chroma Key, OSI):

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #152 on: February 24, 2011, 10:00:25 AM »
Personally, getting the most technically proficient drummer doesn't matter to me.  I want DT to get the guy whose personality most clicks with the other band members and who they most enjoy being around.  That chemistry will lead to a great ability to work together and great music, and keep DT "fun" for the band members. 
All the people being rumoured are technically amazing anyway, so I don't think there's any worry there whatsoever. So really it's a case of what people like more in terms of style vs how well he fits in with the rest of the band. For me (as with you) the latter is the most important thing.

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #153 on: February 24, 2011, 10:01:08 AM »

100%  I'm not worried at all.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam

Offline mittinagus

• Mexican Bad-ass...
  • Matando Güeros!
« Reply #154 on: February 24, 2011, 10:20:22 AM »
I've been really trying to get into Mangini's playing and then i find this...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PMEWmxtNB7U&playnext=1&list=PLEFBD443FEB00D0CD

i mean i'm no musician but this is boring and awful in so many ways...

Tin

Offline yorost

• Inactive
« Reply #155 on: February 24, 2011, 10:33:28 AM »
I fail to see how that's awful.  As for being interesting or great music, it's not really fair to judge how he might be in Dream Theater since that's a clinic performance, not a concert.

Offline GandL

« Reply #156 on: February 24, 2011, 10:40:53 AM »
Yes, but this is a clinic, this one's better
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N1-8j9zhdOE&feature=related

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #157 on: February 24, 2011, 10:50:21 AM »
I think most are put off because of his unconventional style of playing. I think it makes him unique.  Billy Cobham was just a unconventional yet is held in high esteeme.

Offline Dublagent66

• Devouring consciousness...
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ...Digesting power
« Reply #158 on: February 24, 2011, 10:53:27 AM »
Youtube videos are not a good basis for determining if the new drummer will be a fit for DT.

This is what I'm thinking.  Skill and experience are important, but chemistry is key.
"Two things are infinite; the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." -Albert Einstein
"There's not a pill you can take.  There's not a class you can go to.  Stupid is foreva."  -Ron White

Offline yorost

• Inactive
« Reply #159 on: February 24, 2011, 11:04:30 AM »
Yes, but this is a clinic, this one's better
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N1-8j9zhdOE&feature=related
Nothing says clinics can't be good music, too.  It's just not always the main point.

Offline darkshot

« Reply #160 on: February 24, 2011, 11:05:48 AM »
Youtube videos are not a good basis for determining if the new drummer will be a fit for DT.

This is true, but for some of us who are just discovering him, it is one of the only ways to see how he performs live.

Disclaimer: What I'm about to say is totally based on what I've seen from youtube videos, if I'm wrong then don't freak out.

One of the things I'm afraid of if Mangini is chosen, is an increase in the number of drum solos at DT concerts.  I remember hearing MP say somewhere that he wasn't a big fan of drum solos and only did them occasionally back in the earlier years of DT.  It is unfortunate that more than half of the youtube videos that come up when Mike Mangini is searched, is him doing ridiculous drum solos.  I was really hoping to find more videos of him playing with a band (I did see some), so I could make better judgement.  I'm really not a fan of drum solos myself, in fact it would be great if I could see some videos of him jamming or improvising with other skilled musicians.  I'm at work now so I can't really check, but if anyone knows any good videos like that I'd like to see.

I'm really trying to like Mangini, sorry  :lol

Offline xeper

« Reply #161 on: February 24, 2011, 12:04:54 PM »
It is unfortunate that more than half of the youtube videos that come up when Mike Mangini is searched, is him doing ridiculous drum solos.  I was really hoping to find more videos of him playing with a band (I did see some), so I could make better judgement.
You're right, and this is exactly why I'd be excited to hear Mangini in DT, because I don't know what to expect if he's writing with a band. Most of his recorded output/Youtube videos are either drum solos or session work, neither of which really involve the kind of musical creativity we get with DT. It's an exciting (albeit uncertain, as with any drummer) prospect.

Offline theusualmadness

« Reply #162 on: February 24, 2011, 12:32:55 PM »

This is true, but for some of us who are just discovering him, it is one of the only ways to see how he performs live.

Disclaimer: What I'm about to say is totally based on what I've seen from youtube videos, if I'm wrong then don't freak out.

One of the things I'm afraid of if Mangini is chosen, is an increase in the number of drum solos at DT concerts.  I remember hearing MP say somewhere that he wasn't a big fan of drum solos and only did them occasionally back in the earlier years of DT.  It is unfortunate that more than half of the youtube videos that come up when Mike Mangini is searched, is him doing ridiculous drum solos.  I was really hoping to find more videos of him playing with a band (I did see some), so I could make better judgement.  I'm really not a fan of drum solos myself, in fact it would be great if I could see some videos of him jamming or improvising with other skilled musicians.  I'm at work now so I can't really check, but if anyone knows any good videos like that I'd like to see.

I'm really trying to like Mangini, sorry  :lol

This is not surprising since he has never been in a full time band, most of the videos you would see are drum solos and instructional videos.

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #163 on: February 24, 2011, 01:18:07 PM »
It is unfortunate that more than half of the youtube videos that come up when Mike Mangini is searched, is him doing ridiculous drum solos.  I was really hoping to find more videos of him playing with a band (I did see some), so I could make better judgement.
You're right, and this is exactly why I'd be excited to hear Mangini in DT, because I don't know what to expect if he's writing with a band. Most of his recorded output/Youtube videos are either drum solos or session work, neither of which really involve the kind of musical creativity we get with DT. It's an exciting (albeit uncertain, as with any drummer) prospect.
People have mentioned bands he's been in over and over again (both Mullmuzzler albums and JLB's Elements of Persuasion for example) so check those out and stop searching for random youtube vids, because those are always going to be about showcasing someone's technical ability.

I be am boner inducing.

Offline lucky7

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #164 on: February 24, 2011, 01:25:33 PM »
He was with Steve Vai for a while, can be seen on the G3 DVD with Vai/Satriani and Eric Johnson he was with him in 97 on the Fire Garden Tour and through 2000 on the Ultra Zone tour, not sure exactly when he left or why....maybe when Virgil Donati started with Vai which saw him on the on the Live in Astoria DVD.

Offline Progmetty

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #165 on: February 24, 2011, 01:28:40 PM »
Didn't read the entire thread so I dunno if the point of age was mentioned, that guy is 47!
I wouldn't want somebody with 18 kids to mow my damn lawn, based on a longstanding bias I have against crazy fucks.

Offline yorost

• Inactive
« Reply #166 on: February 24, 2011, 01:45:14 PM »
Which makes him a match in age to the rest of the band.  They're all in the 40's(any 50's?), too.

Offline mittinagus

• Mexican Bad-ass...
  • Matando Güeros!
« Reply #167 on: February 24, 2011, 01:57:15 PM »
Which makes him a match in age to the rest of the band.  They're all in the 40's(any 50's?), too.

Maybe JR, i'm not sure...

Tin

Offline GandL

« Reply #168 on: February 24, 2011, 02:02:17 PM »
 :omg: I'm 47 too !!! But never been better at gguitar playing and skiing, damn I have gray hairs though  >:(

Offline Progmetty

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #169 on: February 24, 2011, 02:05:28 PM »
You can be a prog metal guitarist or keyboardist at 47, but drumming takes a lot more physical energy.
And JR aside all the guys are early 40's I think.
I wouldn't want somebody with 18 kids to mow my damn lawn, based on a longstanding bias I have against crazy fucks.

Offline Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
« Reply #170 on: February 24, 2011, 02:13:19 PM »
Wait, Mangini did the drums on EOP? If so, I have no issue with him as the new drummer.

Offline EPICVIEW

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #171 on: February 24, 2011, 02:34:22 PM »
I am not a Mangini fan.

Id be dissapointed
"its so relieving to know that your leaving as soon as you get paid, Its so relaxing to know that your asking now that you got your way"

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #172 on: February 24, 2011, 02:40:24 PM »
You can be a prog metal guitarist or keyboardist at 47, but drumming takes a lot more physical energy.
And JR aside all the guys are early 40's I think.
Portnoy is 43
Petrucci is also 43
Myung is 44
Rudess is 54
Labrie is 47
Mangini is 47

If he's the guy then age will definitely not be an issue.

Wait, Mangini did the drums on EOP? If so, I have no issue with him as the new drummer.
That is correct. :tup

I be am boner inducing.

Offline MemoryScenes

« Reply #173 on: February 24, 2011, 04:33:49 PM »
I'm more concerned about the knee replacement than his age!

I'll admit, Mangini was the first name that came to mind when MP left, but I thought,
"Yeah, but surely he wouldn't leave his teaching position!"

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #174 on: February 24, 2011, 04:59:09 PM »
He was with Steve Vai for a while, can be seen on the G3 DVD with Vai/Satriani and Eric Johnson he was with him in 97 on the Fire Garden Tour and through 2000 on the Ultra Zone tour, not sure exactly when he left or why....maybe when Virgil Donati started with Vai which saw him on the on the Live in Astoria DVD.

He played with Extreme back in the day.

rumborak
"I liked when Myung looked like a women's figure skating champion."