Author Topic: Who else would be disappointed if Mangini is the chosen one?  (Read 44211 times)

Offline TL

Re: Who else would be disappointed if Mangini is the chosen one?
« Reply #105 on: December 26, 2010, 11:01:37 PM »
Yeah, that bit about playing with DT was mentioned a few weeks ago. It's not a sign one way or the other.

Offline Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #106 on: December 26, 2010, 11:02:56 PM »
My only problem with Mangini is that he really seems like he'd be temporary, and I really don't want a temp drummer.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #107 on: December 27, 2010, 07:56:26 AM »
My only problem with Mangini is that he really seems like he'd be temporary, and I really don't want a temp drummer.
I hear ya, but I think I feel the same way about Minneman and Lang, no?
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Daso

• A cultivator of dread
« Reply #108 on: December 27, 2010, 08:59:28 AM »
I see Mangini leaving the band easily too. It is probably but not as sure the same would happen with Lang, and Minneman sounds more permanent.

Offline Adami

« Reply #109 on: December 27, 2010, 11:37:16 AM »
I hear ya, but I think I feel the same way about Minneman and Lang, no?

Oh yes them too. In fact, that's the problem with ANY big named drummer.

Having a huge resume isn't exactly a good thing for someone you want to stick around for a long time.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Online ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #110 on: December 27, 2010, 11:46:42 AM »
Didn't someone mention in one of Mangini's bios (possibly on his facebook) something about wanting to finish his career in a full-time band?

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Offline Adami

« Reply #111 on: December 27, 2010, 11:47:25 AM »
Didn't someone mention in one of Mangini's bios (possibly on his facebook) something about wanting to finish his career in a full-time band?

Someone said it was a quote, but I don't think anyone could find it.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline mittinagus

• Mexican Bad-ass...
  • Matando Güeros!
« Reply #112 on: December 27, 2010, 12:37:47 PM »

"This page is maxed out/closed off to new friends. Sorry. Laugh, eat, study stuff and then hit things.

I've been performing as a solo drummer since age 5, but I liked playing with my favorite records the most. I've ended up in bands or performing with the musicians from the posters on my wall and from the LP records in my bin; very fun. In the last decade, I've played in some capacity with: Eddie Jobson (UK,) Missing Persons, Extreme, Steven Tyler, Steve Vai, Annihilator, Animotion, James LaBrie, Dream Theater, Brad, Fran & Barry from Boston, Skunk Baxter....a bunch more. I still play solo shows and have headlined every major drum festival on Earth. Even though I teach at Berklee College currently, I've always taught and always will because the students continue to do unique things that impress me every year and it keeps me excited about continuing to learn. I'd like to retire by being with a band though. I'd like a lot of things actually, but I have lived by playing with so many of my heros and I am very grateful." - Mike's personal facebook.

Few posts back...

Tin

Offline chrisbDTM

• DT.net Member
« Reply #113 on: February 22, 2011, 09:18:52 PM »
the real question is who why would you judge the choice of mangini without even hearing a new song of DT with him? you cant

Offline dongringo

« Reply #114 on: February 22, 2011, 09:33:49 PM »
How did I miss this thread?

Mike Mangini is a world class drummer and the DT drum chair is a coveted one for world class drummers. I'm sure that if he's the one then he must be the right fit, otherwise they wouldn't choose him. How could I be disappointed in a drummer that they think is right for their band? Unless of course they made a bad choice, but I don't see that happening.
.......__o
.......\ <,
....( )/ ( )

Offline Tunnel Vision

« Reply #115 on: February 22, 2011, 09:48:12 PM »
I think all three drummers (Mangini, Minneman, and Lang) would all be VERY good drummers for DT and I think that DT will make great music with any of those drummers. That said, if Mangini or Minneman are chosen I would be disappointed because my first choice has always been Thomas Lang.

All three drummers would be great, but I'd prefer Lang.

Offline Pantherize

« Reply #116 on: February 22, 2011, 10:22:56 PM »
   I would not be disappointed.  I agree that they know what they're doing as far as choosing a replacement. While I haven't been terribly excited about most of his output that I've heard, and I'd probably be happier if it were Lang or Minneman, I agree with a lot of sentiment I've seen about DT being an environment where new members grow into greater musicians than they were before.

I'm excited about a new DT album. If they say all seven drummers that auditioned were world class, who am I to say they didn't pick the right one. The rest of the band is world class at what they do, I trust their judgment at this point.

I'm probably in the minority here, but I can't help but feel as much as they insist the replacement will be permanent, they almost have to take that position publicly to make a point or they all look like doormats. Good for them, they made a stand and showed MP that his power play wasn't gonna fly. I can't help but feel though that any of the names thrown out as potential replacement will be "permanent" for an album cycle or two and then they'll kiss and make up with MP and come back with a vengeance. Can you imagine any of these guys names that have been thrown out sticking to their guns and saying no if a few years down the road MP wants back in and there's been enough time passed that they don't look like total wusses for letting him back in?

Offline DarkLord_Lalinc

• pr0nman extraordinaire
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Hostages love me
« Reply #117 on: February 22, 2011, 10:26:30 PM »
Well, they need a permanent replacement. If they were looking for a temporary replacement while Portnoy fills up his DT spirit once again, lots of people would stop taking the band seriously and it would affect greatly their sales/concert attendance, etc. (at least 'till MP came back to the band)
Quote from: TioJorge
MAN FUCK YOU KUJA.
Quote from: hefdaddy42
The Darklord is amazing

Offline dongringo

« Reply #118 on: February 22, 2011, 10:40:56 PM »
^this

I seriously doubt the members of DT are even remotely thinking about a future with Portnoy. At their age and stage in career they are looking at now.
.......__o
.......\ <,
....( )/ ( )

Offline Ħ

« Reply #119 on: February 22, 2011, 11:06:21 PM »
Sue me, but I hope it's Mangini, he's hired as a session drummer, and Portnoy is back for DT12.
"All great works are prepared in the desert, including the redemption of the world. The precursors, the followers, the Master Himself, all obeyed or have to obey one and the same law. Prophets, apostles, preachers, martyrs, pioneers of knowledge, inspired artists in every art, ordinary men and the Man-God, all pay tribute to loneliness, to the life of silence, to the night." - A. G. Sertillanges

Offline j

« Reply #120 on: February 22, 2011, 11:18:26 PM »
^this

I seriously doubt the members of DT are even remotely thinking about a future with Portnoy. At their age and stage in career they are looking at now.

Probably.  To me, the saddest thing about the Portnoy situation is that it seems unavoidable that it will do irreparable damage to the guys' personal friendships with him.  It's really too bad after so long.  Hopefully they will eventually all realize how trivial this is in the grand scheme of things.

-J

Offline TheKillingHand

« Reply #121 on: February 23, 2011, 05:48:51 AM »
There's something about Mangini's stage presence that I think would fill the MP void the best from a live point of view. Plus I really like his playing. I think he'd fit in perfectly

Offline Orion1967

« Reply #122 on: February 23, 2011, 05:56:46 AM »
This thread needs an enema....

It's sad there is not another 105 page thread that you could post to about Mangini v/s Minnemann v/s John Travolta....  oh wait...
Cool Story Bro. 

Tell it again

Offline Bone_Daddy

« Reply #123 on: February 23, 2011, 09:30:38 AM »
but i have a feeling that i'm going to be very disappointed.

Tin   

Big deal. Don't listen to Dream Theater then. Issue resolved.

You have a choice to either support their decision or not. Clearly, you have made up your mind to how you might feel without even hearing Dream Theater play with a new drummer. That, my fellow DT forum-er, is the real disappointment.

Offline Dublagent66

• Devouring consciousness...
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ...Digesting power
« Reply #124 on: February 23, 2011, 09:51:27 AM »
There's no reason to be disappointed about anybody at least until the new album is released.  Even then, if you end up disappointed, nobody gives a shit.
"Two things are infinite; the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." -Albert Einstein
"There's not a pill you can take.  There's not a class you can go to.  Stupid is foreva."  -Ron White

Online ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #125 on: February 23, 2011, 09:54:10 AM »
There's no reason to be disappointed about anybody at least until the new album is released.  Even then, if you end up disappointed, nobody gives a shit.
:lol Well said.

I be am boner inducing.

Offline walmartsecurity

« Reply #126 on: February 23, 2011, 10:34:21 AM »
I would be slightly disappointed because it isn't Minnemann, but I would be curious and a bit excited about what kind of drumming we'd get from Mangini. Will it be only partially different from MP's style? more focused on speed? DT has already shown a bit of power-metal and death metal influence in recent albums.. I wouldn't be surprised if the drumming became more aggressive overall, but I doubt it will.

Offline mittinagus

• Mexican Bad-ass...
  • Matando Güeros!
« Reply #127 on: February 23, 2011, 10:44:50 AM »

Fair enough   :smiley: ...

But my point was that i would be more excited if it was Minnemann or Lang from what i've heard them play and as i've said before if it's Mangini i hope he makes me change my mind about him...

Cheers

Tin

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #128 on: February 23, 2011, 10:46:29 AM »

Yup.  I would be dissapointed if it was Phil Rudd not any of the drummers who did try out.  Let's listen to the music first folks.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Online ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #129 on: February 23, 2011, 01:10:16 PM »
I would be slightly disappointed because it isn't Minnemann, but I would be curious and a bit excited about what kind of drumming we'd get from Mangini. Will it be only partially different from MP's style? more focused on speed? DT has already shown a bit of power-metal and death metal influence in recent albums.. I wouldn't be surprised if the drumming became more aggressive overall, but I doubt it will.
Mangini has played on three Labrie albums, including the two Mullmuzzlers, neither of which were very heavy at all. The guy is versatile.

I be am boner inducing.

Offline yorost

• Inactive
« Reply #130 on: February 23, 2011, 01:56:43 PM »
I would be disappointed if they didn't choose a drummer and went on a hiatus.

Offline DarkLord_Lalinc

• pr0nman extraordinaire
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Hostages love me
« Reply #131 on: February 23, 2011, 01:57:49 PM »
I would be disappointed if they didn't choose a drummer and went on a hiatus.

Good for you it ain't gonna happen.  :P
MAN FUCK YOU KUJA.
The Darklord is amazing

Offline lucky7

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #132 on: February 23, 2011, 02:40:56 PM »
I hope it is Mangini and judging by the poll in the other thread, Mangini is always in the lead (when I look at least) so all we need is DT to announce it.
Seriously though my fave aspect of the band is JP on guitar so as long as he goes nowhere I am happy!  :)

Offline darkshot

« Reply #133 on: February 23, 2011, 02:54:56 PM »
Mangini is for sure a very skilled drummer, but I looked up many videos of him playing and none of them seemed to vibe with me.  There is something about his style that feels off, there were moments I felt like he was playing certain parts super fast just to impress people, and it didn't fit with the rest of the song.  I have absolutely no doubts that he can play every song in the DT catalog, but I hope he can groove well with the rest of the band while playing live.

No offense to Jordan but this kind of reminds me of when Jordan gets carried away on certain keyboard parts live.  But I still love JR in DT so hopefully if it is Mangini then this will be something I can overlook, the same way I do with Jordan.

Offline TheKillingHand

« Reply #134 on: February 23, 2011, 02:59:56 PM »
Not sure if this has been posted already, apologies if it has. Probably still means nothing though...just more speculation I'd say

Jan 26th:

"Mangini Update

The rumor mill is churning overtime about Mike Mangini. I heard some inside info that “it” is happening. You know what I’m talking about… I’ll put up another post when it’s official."

https://www.drummersdominion.com/mangini-update

EDIT: The guy who posted that (and runs drummersdominion.com) studied with Mike Mangini  :tup
« Last Edit: February 23, 2011, 03:34:06 PM by TheKillingHand »

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #135 on: February 23, 2011, 03:00:48 PM »
Mangini is for sure a very skilled drummer, but I looked up many videos of him playing and none of them seemed to vibe with me.  There is something about his style that feels off, there were moments I felt like he was playing certain parts super fast just to impress people, and it didn't fit with the rest of the song.  I have absolutely no doubts that he can play every song in the DT catalog, but I hope he can groove well with the rest of the band while playing live.

No offense to Jordan but this kind of reminds me of when Jordan gets carried away on certain keyboard parts live.  But I still love JR in DT so hopefully if it is Mangini then this will be something I can overlook, the same way I do with Jordan.

I beg to differ.  Have you ever heard him play with Extreme? He can play many styles and can fit right in.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline darkshot

« Reply #136 on: February 23, 2011, 03:10:22 PM »

I beg to differ.  Have you ever heard him play with Extreme? He can play many styles and can fit right in.

I hadn't heard him play with Extreme, no.  Watching some videos now, so far its only reinforcing what I was thinking...

Offline DarkLord_Lalinc

• pr0nman extraordinaire
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Hostages love me
« Reply #137 on: February 23, 2011, 03:15:47 PM »
I've seen videos of him doing some African-percussive style of jamming. Really impressive. Do you want to get more varied than that?  :lol
MAN FUCK YOU KUJA.
The Darklord is amazing

Offline darkshot

« Reply #138 on: February 23, 2011, 03:19:17 PM »
I've seen videos of him doing some African-percussive style of jamming. Really impressive. Do you want to get more varied than that?  :lol

I think you guys misunderstood me sorry, I'm not worried about him playing many styles.  Its just that from what I've seen, his drumming doesn't seem to click with me.  I'm not a drummer or an expert in this by any means so I can't really explain why.  But something just feels off.

I guess I would just have to get used to it.

Offline Lowdz

« Reply #139 on: February 23, 2011, 03:33:04 PM »
Lang and Minneman would excite me. Mangini to me is flash over substance but I guess to teach at Berklee you would need to be pretty good. I certainly won't judge the choice before I hear the album or see the gig and we do have to think that DT know what they are doing. If he got the gig over the other choices, who seem excellent, then he must have been seriously good on the dayi just haven't seen it on the YouTube stuff or the Extreme aalbum or the others that have been mentioned. The first Lang video made me do an impression of Meg Ryan in a cafe. yes! Yes! YYYYYYEEEEEESSSSSS!!!!!