Author Topic: How does the context in which it was created affect your perception of music?  (Read 5647 times)

Offline Sigz

• BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD
  • DTF.org Member
  • THRONES FOR THE THRONE SKULL
Something I've been thinking about lately is how my perception of music is colored by the knowing the context of it's creation. Probably the most striking example of this for me is Four Rooms by Jacob Kierkegaard. From his website:

This work is a sonic presentation of four deserted rooms inside the 'Zone of Alienation' in Chernobyl, Ukraine, recorded in October 2005.

The sound of each room was evoked by an elaborate method: Kirkegaard made a recording of 10 minutes and then played the recording back into the room, recording it again. This process was repeated up to ten times. As the layers got denser, each room slowly began to unfold a drone with various overtones.

On it's own, it's a pretty good ambient drone album. However, knowing the process and work that went into making it gave me a new appreciation for it, and certainly evokes a lot of the rather powerful imagery that accompanies Chernobyl. And to be honest, I'm not sure how I feel about that. My first instinct is that music should be appreciated on it's own merits, and whatever goes on behind the scenes should be irrelevant, however the very fact that it's changed my opinion of the album tells me that it isn't irrelevant.

What are your thoughts/experiences?
The world is a stage, but the play is badly cast.

Offline SPNKr

• DTF.org Member
Most of the time I become interested in how an album was recorded and where. Machine Head was recorded in a hotel room and it sounds fan-fuckin'-tastic.

Offline sneakyblueberry

• put me in coach
  • DTF.org Member
Most of the time I become interested in how an album was recorded and where. Machine Head was recorded in a hotel room and it sounds fan-fuckin'-tastic.

I like the recent plays on your Last FM, BBRRRROOO!!

In answer to the OP, I think knowing the circumstances around the making of an album alters the listening experience drastically.  The most recent example I can think of is the Toby Driver solo album, with that little link you posted with the background behind the songs.  If I went into that album not knowing that information, it would've just been a weird ass album.  As unorthodox as it sounds; its almost essential that you know the context behind the creation of it in order to appreciate it fully.

Offline Jamesman42

• There you'll find me
  • DT.net Member
  • Spiral OUT
Something I've been thinking about lately is how my perception of music is colored by the knowing the context of it's creation. Probably the most striking example of this for me is Four Rooms by Jacob Kierkegaard. From his website:

This work is a sonic presentation of four deserted rooms inside the 'Zone of Alienation' in Chernobyl, Ukraine, recorded in October 2005.

The sound of each room was evoked by an elaborate method: Kirkegaard made a recording of 10 minutes and then played the recording back into the room, recording it again. This process was repeated up to ten times. As the layers got denser, each room slowly began to unfold a drone with various overtones.

On it's own, it's a pretty good ambient drone album. However, knowing the process and work that went into making it gave me a new appreciation for it, and certainly evokes a lot of the rather powerful imagery that accompanies Chernobyl. And to be honest, I'm not sure how I feel about that. My first instinct is that music should be appreciated on it's own merits, and whatever goes on behind the scenes should be irrelevant, however the very fact that it's changed my opinion of the album tells me that it isn't irrelevant.

What are your thoughts/experiences?

Yeah, but we all have experiences that affect our future experiences. There were many other things that led you to that album, all of which were past events, and some of which instilled in you new perceptions/biases/approaches to what you experience next.

A music-listening experience cannot escape that fact. Nobody listens to music without some sort of preset in their mind, due to what they already know. Plus, there are far too many factors to consider (all of the environmental, plus the possible biological prejudices for sound).

I think that that is great, though. We can shape our experiences or gain perspective to gain appreciation for a musical effort. Who knows if previous experiences (maybe previous albums that you hold in a higher regard in that genre) have made your perception of that album the way you saw it before finding out the information behind the process of making it?

Damn good question, Sigsworth.

Offline SPNKr

• DTF.org Member
As unorthodox as it sounds; its almost essential that you know the context behind the creation of it in order to appreciate it fully.
Agreed with this.

Offline sonatafanica

• cocksucking maniac
  • DTF.org Member
  • ☠☠☠☠☠☠jesus take the wheel☠☠☠☠☠☠
That's really interesting!

For me, I don't really have any examples like that, but some albums really stand out to me if I can dissect the lyrics and figure out where the musician's head was during the time they made the music.

For example, the album Digital Ash in a Digital Urn by Bright Eyes was written during a time when the main songwriter Conor Oberst was thinking a lot about death. All these different angles of death come up in his thoughts, and since I find myself thinking about death a lot as well, it puts me in that sort of mood.

It's not the same thing, but when I listen to that album, I feel more connected to Conor's thoughts because I've taken the time to get into his mindset.

I also think it says a lot that the last track has this to say about death:

Sometimes I worry that I've lost the plot
my twitching muscles tease my flippant thoughts
I never really dreamed of heaven much
until we put him in the ground

but it's all I'm doing now
listening for patterns in the sound
of an endless static sea
but once the satellite's deceased
it blows like garbage through the streets
of the night sky to infinity

but don't you weep
(don't you weep for them)
don't you weep
(don't you weep)
there is nothing
as lucky
as easy
or free

Offline skydivingninja

• DTF.org Alumni
I think a knowledge of what was going through the artists' mind when they made the album really enhances my appreciation of it.  Ziltoid the Omniscient is a great example.  At first, its a funny concept album, but then when you start seeing Ziltoid as SYL Devin growing out of that scene and sort of finding himself, it becomes a bit more enjoyable.

Offline Sir GuitarCozmo

• Official Forum Sous Chef and broler5
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Kelly Clarkson BEEFS
Well, for most of the music I like, the context was "If I put down this bottle of Jack, it'll be for long enough to bang some groupies and trash a hotel room", so yeah, I can definitely appreciate it much better this way.

Offline LudwigVan

• Proglodyte
Well, for most of the music I like, the context was "If I put down this bottle of Jack, it'll be for long enough to bang some groupies and trash a hotel room", so yeah, I can definitely appreciate it much better this way.

:biggrin:  Thank goodness for GCoz!

But yeah, I do love hearing romantic or apocryphal stories about the context of certain songs, like Plant coming up with the lyrics to Stairway while Page played it for him in front of the fireplace at Headley Grange.  Or Syd Barrett showing up unannounced at the studio while PF was rehearsing Shine On You Crazy Diamond.  Or Beethoven dedicating his 3rd Symphony to Napolean Bonaparte, but angrily retracting it when he proclaimed himself emperor of France. 
"There is nothing more difficult than talking about music."
--Camille Saint-Saëns

“All the good music has already been written by people with wigs and stuff.”
--Frank Zappa

Offline Sigz

• BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD
  • DTF.org Member
  • THRONES FOR THE THRONE SKULL
In answer to the OP, I think knowing the circumstances around the making of an album alters the listening experience drastically.  The most recent example I can think of is the Toby Driver solo album, with that little link you posted with the background behind the songs.  If I went into that album not knowing that information, it would've just been a weird ass album.  As unorthodox as it sounds; its almost essential that you know the context behind the creation of it in order to appreciate it fully.

ooh good example! I love that album, but I don't think I'd have as much appreciation for it if I didn't know the ideas behind the songs.
The world is a stage, but the play is badly cast.

Offline dethklok09

• Mike
  • Great band
i gained an appreciation for saint anger after watching some kind of monster

Online Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
In general, the more I know about the circumstances surrounding any work, the more I can appreciate the work itself.  That includes the artist(s), what was going on in the world at the time, pretty much anything that can be seen as an influence.  Some song I never really thought about suddenly means something if I know what they guy was thinking about or had just gone through when he wrote it.  Some album may not be particularly impressive, but then I find out that it was written and recorded all inside of a week or something like that, and I listen to it again and suddenly I'm impressed by what they'd done.  Same work, different circumstances.

Some people would say "The work should speak for itself; you either like it or you don't."  True.  But there are things I don't personally like, but I can still appreciate the work that went into them, and everything they did right, even if the result isn't something I would ever want to experience again.

Offline Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness

As did I, unfortunately that didn't make it easier to listen to.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline dethklok09

• Mike
  • Great band

As did I, unfortunately that didn't make it easier to listen to.
lolsnare

Offline sneakyblueberry

• put me in coach
  • DTF.org Member

Yeah me too.  Great doco.  Mediocre album.

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
Listening to the music, I rarely think of these things but if I read about making of the album or see the making of the album(old fogie, I know :laugh:)  I get drawn in to where, how, the ambience, the instruments ect.........
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline carl320

• The Knight of Cups
  • EZBoard Elder
It gives me an appreciation of the work involved in making an album, both the production and the relationship aspects.  I mean, Rumours is already a brilliant album, but knowing the tension that was growing within the band while the album was made adds to the atmosphere.  Songs like Go Your Own Way and The Chain have a new level to them when you know the back story.
In high school my buddies and I built a Van Der Graaf generator.  You know, to get girls.

Offline Samsara

• Queensr˙che Biographer and Historian
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Memory flows...like a river.
Love the original post and question.

To me, the behind the scenes stuff shouldn't affect things, but ultimately, it does. The easiest example I can give is Tateryche...err...Queensryche.

1981-1997, the original band wrote everything. Chris Degarmo was the main songwriter, who did the majority of the band's song arrangements, and split the lyrics and vocal melodies with Geoff Tate at probably a 60-40 percent clip in Chris' favor. And obviously, Chris came up with a lot of the riffs and harmonies. Michael Wilton was mostly a riff and solo man, and Scott Rockenfield and Eddie Jackson did their thing and got some credits along the way.

Once Degarmo left at the end of 1997, and Kelly Gray was brought on board, it was still Queensryche, but things shifted a bit. Tate wrote all the lyrics, and while Gray wrote just as much music as Chris did, on average, for the one studio album they did, things started to shift into Tate's favor. More like Tate directing what he wanted, music-wise, to want to write lyrics. But it WAS Queensryche to me, because Gray was a full fledged member of the band, and the band was a true band.

Once Gray left, and Degarmo returned a bit with Tribe in 2003, Tate continued to flex his controlling arm a bit more.  Ultimately, one song aside, Tribe was the original lineup, but with reduced Degarmo contributions (three songs he wrote the music to, and two others that he made big contributions to...and then another song that he wrote entirely called Justified, which was released a few years later, but was intended for Tribe). Again, without that one track (Losing Myshit, which was written by replacement guitar player Mike Stone), Tribe IS Queensryche, albeit with shortened contribution from Degarmo.

After that, starting in 2006 with Mindcrime II, 2009's American Soldier, and the new record coming up this year, "Queensryche" has essentially become Geoff Tate's solo project. He directs everything. He chooses what music he wants to write over, he dictates the ebb and flow of everything. Other than a few things here and there, no one in the band writes music for the albums QR does these days. It's all outside folks (Jason Slater, and Kelly Gray, the latter who works for QR full time doing songwriting, recording, and front of house sound).

Once I learned how the whole thing post-Degarmo operated, I really got disgusted with the "band" (which is not really a band any more anyway). It has dramatically affected the way I view what gets released under the "Queensryche" name, because to me, it IS NOT Queensryche.

It's a frontman-led band very much in the vein of Whitesnake or Alice Cooper. The frontmen dictate the songs and what they want, and the players are interchangeable parts, with songs being written by whoever the frontman feels inspired by. That is ok if that is what the particular group is, and was started that way. But that wasn't what Queensryche ever was.

While QR has maintained four out of the original five members, the three remaining original musicians don't really write material Tate is inspired by, and so he looks outside of the band for songs, instead of accepting that this is where the musicians in the band are at, and utilizing their songs as "Queensryche."

When you accept all that, it is really hard for me to even listen to anything post-Degarmo and consider it Queensryche, because in all honesty, it isn't (although Q2k IS, it is almost an entirely different band, since the main music songwriter was Kelly Gray who is drastically different than Chris Degarmo...still, it IS Queensryche for all intents and purposes of this thread). But now, it's Geoff Tate's solo project featuring members of Queensryche.

And while that is alright for some, that isn't the band I was ga-ga over from 1987-2003.

So yes, the context in which music is created is very much an important part of how I evaluate and digest the music that I listen to. I like honesty in the music that I hear. I want truth. And to be very upfront...with that Queensryche example...had they ended the band after "Tribe," and Geoff did all this stuff under his own name, or a different band name, my opinion of the music probably wouldn't be any better, but my respect and appreciation for him following his muse as a solo artist would be there, whereas now, it is just disgust toward him and his Yoko-ish wife, because of the whoring out of the QR name to make a buck (which is what is going on).

It's unfortunate that outside things have an effect on appreciation for music and art. But for me, they do. It bothers me so much with Queensryche, that I've separated the original lineup's material from anything else released by the "band" on my iPod. I have it labeled "Queensryche" and then "Queensryche (non-original lineup)."

Anal retentive much? Probably.  :lol  But truth is truth.

So yes, the context in which something is created, whether it is the example I gave regarding who actually writes the songs, or the original post where the context talked about were the conditions regarding the recording, really does matter to me. It is that total package that really matters.

Roads to Madness: The Touring History of Queensr˙che (1981-1997) - At the printer! Out in May 2024!

Pre-order now at www.roadstomadness.com!

Offline Lowdz

I think it does affect things for me. The most obvious example was Guns n Roses back in the 80's. Had Appeite long before anyone here knew who they were and initially I loved it. Eventually the band's antics got too much for me and it did put me off the band and the album to the extenet that I didn't even bother getting any of their other stuff.
As to Queensryche, I partition their stuff on my iphone into the first four albums...

Offline ZBomber

• "The Analogy Guy"
  • A Farewell to Kings
It gives me an appreciation of the work involved in making an album, both the production and the relationship aspects.  I mean, Rumours is already a brilliant album, but knowing the tension that was growing within the band while the album was made adds to the atmosphere.  Songs like Go Your Own Way and The Chain have a new level to them when you know the back story.

Came in here just to mention Rumours, glad someone already beat me to it.  :tup

Offline antigoon

• Not Elvis
  • DT.net Veteran
  • This was a triumph.
oops.
« Last Edit: January 02, 2011, 11:09:00 AM by antigoon »

Offline 73109

• DTF.org Member
As you should. :P

Offline ZBomber

• "The Analogy Guy"
  • A Farewell to Kings
When I was younger I used to turn off scrobbling when I listened to My Chemical Romance :lol

WRONG THREAD LOLOLO;LOLOLOLOLOLOL.

Offline contest_sanity

Unfortunately, I believe something like this happens in a negative way with an album like DT's Falling Into Infinity.  Now, I am not directing this comment at the posters here who have said that they were disappointed with the album from the moment it came out; that's perfectly fair and square.  But once MP starting talking a lot about the circumstances of recording that album (too much label involvement, Desmond Child, power struggles within the band itself, etc.), I think more fans just starting dismissing FII as DT's "sellout" album without giving it a fair listen.  Again, I know a lot of fans DO NOT fit this description, but enough seemingly do that it feels justified to mention.

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
  • Bouncing around the room
I love it when albums has a certain back story, or anything like that.
This is when i should come up with millions of examples, but major blackout.

Online Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
Unfortunately, I believe something like this happens in a negative way with an album like DT's Falling Into Infinity.  Now, I am not directing this comment at the posters here who have said that they were disappointed with the album from the moment it came out; that's perfectly fair and square.  But once MP starting talking a lot about the circumstances of recording that album (too much label involvement, Desmond Child, power struggles within the band itself, etc.), I think more fans just starting dismissing FII as DT's "sellout" album without giving it a fair listen.  Again, I know a lot of fans DO NOT fit this description, but enough seemingly do that it feels justified to mention.

I agree.  I was introduced to DT via Images and Words and Awake, grabbed A Change of Seasons next, and jumped on Falling Into Infinity on release day.  I like that it's different, it has more variety, but it's still DT.  After an EP with (at the time) DT's longest song and some great live covers, I didn't have any problem with the follow-up being a little more accessible, because it was still great stuff.  People do talk about it negatively "because you know Mike said..." and "we all know that the label didn't want..." and all that.  What does that have to do with the music?  I'm just glad I listened to the music with an open mind when it came out, because it's still one of my favorites.

Offline contest_sanity

I agree.  I was introduced to DT via Images and Words and Awake, grabbed A Change of Seasons next, and jumped on Falling Into Infinity on release day.  I like that it's different, it has more variety, but it's still DT.  After an EP with (at the time) DT's longest song and some great live covers, I didn't have any problem with the follow-up being a little more accessible, because it was still great stuff.  People do talk about it negatively "because you know Mike said..." and "we all know that the label didn't want..." and all that.  What does that have to do with the music?  I'm just glad I listened to the music with an open mind when it came out, because it's still one of my favorites.
Mine too.

Offline Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
It matters at times. Others I don't mind, makes you more aware of why that sounds like this.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD