Author Topic: Moon Safari  (Read 44980 times)

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
Re: Moon Safari
« Reply #210 on: May 19, 2017, 10:06:16 AM »
That's my favorite album too!!
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline darkshade

« Reply #211 on: May 20, 2017, 11:07:14 AM »
All I know is Blomljud. I've heard the whole album many times years ago and I actually put the first two tracks on the other day and enjoyed it, but it's so sugary sweet that I couldn't continue. I really have to be in the mood for their brand of prog. I haven't heard their other releases, are they similar to Blomljud?

Offline Mosh

• For I have dined on honeydew!
« Reply #212 on: May 20, 2017, 04:43:16 PM »
Lovers End is slightly heavier than Blomljud but the sugary sweet thing is part of their shtick.

Moon Safari is quite possibly my favorite of the more modern prog groups. The vocal harmonies bring such a new flavor to the sound. So excited for Himlabacken 2.
New Animal Soup scifi space opera for fans of Porcupine Tree, Mastodon, Iron Maiden: Chariots of the Gods

https://animalsoup.bandcamp.com/album/chariots-of-the-gods

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #213 on: May 21, 2017, 06:34:33 AM »
After RoSFest a couple weeks back, count me a fan.  Purchased their discography on the spot.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline Nekov

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #214 on: May 22, 2017, 06:55:06 AM »
After RoSFest a couple weeks back, count me a fan.  Purchased their discography on the spot.

I thought you were into them already. Great band
When Ginobili gets hot, I get hot in my pants. 

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #215 on: May 22, 2017, 08:37:26 AM »

I thought you were into them already. Great band

If I was, I didn't know it.   :lol
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline darkshade

« Reply #216 on: May 26, 2017, 07:21:43 AM »
Lovers End is slightly heavier than Blomljud but the sugary sweet thing is part of their shtick.

Moon Safari is quite possibly my favorite of the more modern prog groups. The vocal harmonies bring such a new flavor to the sound. So excited for Himlabacken 2.

Thanks. I was following them for a little while but never bought any other albums, I think I'll check LE next.  :tup

Offline Nekov

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #217 on: May 26, 2017, 08:08:49 AM »
I'm still waiting for Himlabacken vol2. and the last update on that was on December last year, which wasn't much of an update really. These guys are apparently trying to reach Tool level.

Offline Mosh

« Reply #218 on: May 26, 2017, 08:21:53 AM »
It is disappointing that it takes so long for them to make music. It'd be one thing if they were releasing really long albums, but aside from Blomljud they're all fairly short.
New Animal Soup scifi space opera for fans of Porcupine Tree, Mastodon, Iron Maiden: Chariots of the Gods

Offline Nekov

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #219 on: July 10, 2017, 12:55:12 PM »
Simon Åkesson Quits Moon Safari.

Apparently the keyboardist for the band was having serious issues with alcohol and is going into recovery which is why he is quit. This somewhat explains why Himlabacken vol2 has been taking so long. I hope he recovers and can rejoin the band.
This has been published in their Facebook page but I don't know how to insert a link to it.

Offline Mosh

« Reply #220 on: July 10, 2017, 01:05:00 PM »
  :(

That is such a bummer. Simon came up with so many cool songs and harmony ideas, dunno how MS can continue without him honestly. I hope he's able to come back.

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #221 on: August 06, 2017, 06:32:03 PM »
https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=10155516506019857&id=208896934856

NEWS FROM THE MOON

There are quite a few wizards behind the ivories in the progressive galaxy –
But there’s only one jedi…

Ladies, gentlemen, droids and whatnots…
The circle is now complete.

Meet the master joining MOON SAFARI:

Mr. TOMAS BODIN

As most of you know, Tomas and Moon Safari go way back.
Back to 2003, as a matter of fact, when he helped us making the first demo
and later co-produced our debut album: A doorway to summer.

MOON SAFARI is really excited to work with TOMAS again.
We’re meeting up next week and will bring you and update then.

Peace! / Moon S

Tomas Bodin The Flower Kings

--------
Looks like they found a replacement!

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #222 on: August 06, 2017, 06:35:40 PM »
A very good replacement   I was lucky to see them at RoSfest this year with Simon. 

Can't wait to see hear them with Tomas!
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam

Offline Mosh

« Reply #223 on: August 06, 2017, 07:20:04 PM »
Wow. That's a good replacement. I'm still bummed about this though, he's not as good a singer or writer as Simon IMO. But Bodin is as good a replacement as any.

Also Moon Safari >>>>> Flower Kings.

Offline Nekov

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #224 on: August 07, 2017, 05:38:56 AM »
Very nice

Offline Nekov

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #225 on: April 09, 2018, 01:19:12 PM »
So, let's pump this thing back to life. I was just browsing through these guys facebook to see if I had missed any news related to the new album, and I found a post from December 31st were there is a reference to "two records of new music". And I find myself wondering, will the new album be a double album? Or will there be a Himlabacken pt.3 as well? Anyone heard or read anything about this?

Offline Mosh

« Reply #226 on: April 09, 2018, 01:49:24 PM »
Haven’t heard anything although I remember reading that Simon is back?

Offline Nekov

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #227 on: April 09, 2018, 02:05:22 PM »

Apparently that's the case. It's seems Tomas Bodin is having some listening problems and can't play music live.  :-\

Offline RoeDent

• 2006 Time Magazine Person of the Year
« Reply #228 on: April 09, 2018, 02:31:04 PM »

Apparently that's the case. It's seems Tomas Bodin is having some listening problems and can't play music live.  :-\

Hmm...I wonder if this is a reason why The Flower Kings might be done now.

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #229 on: April 10, 2022, 01:05:19 PM »
FINALLY!

General Update / Shows / Himlabacken Vol.2

First off, apologies for the absence of communication, and thanks to all who are reading this for sticking around. Although it may seem like it at times we're not dead yet!

Cruise to the Edge is sailing in just three weeks and we're ready to go. Now, unfortunately Petter can't make the trip across the pond with the band as he's just had a new baby (Big Congrats!). He and his family asked us to play this one without him so he could focus on the home front, and we support him in that decision. We are still confident that we can bring a quality product on stage, but we would of course have wanted to end this live hiatus in full force. But life is life, and we'll make the most of it! Hope to see some familiar faces in the crowd cheering us on.

Also, regrettably we've had to cancel our appearance at NOTP this summer. As Ramblin' Man Fair in the UK cancelled and went belly up the weekend tour we had planned didn't make sense financially or logistically. We really hate cancelling, but we hope to be back in Germany with HBV2.

Speaking of HIMLABACKEN Vol. 2 we are nearing completion of this marathon process. Six out of nine tracks have been sent out for mixing. Two songs have already come back and it's sounding great. We ask for just a bit more patience if you have any left and we'll be back with more updates on the release once it's set. Just know that it is happening and we're really looking forward to sharing it with all of you!

Cheers
MS

Feels like an age since their last album!

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Online HOF

« Reply #230 on: April 10, 2022, 01:10:43 PM »
Woohoo! Probably next year at this rate, but at least it’s in the end stages.

Offline Nekov

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #231 on: April 11, 2022, 07:34:12 AM »
That took a pretty long time but I'm glad the guys found a way to move forward with the band. I'm eager to hear what the guys came up with during this hiatus.

Offline Cocopjojo

• Astral Traveler
« Reply #232 on: April 11, 2022, 02:17:10 PM »
That's great news about the new album. It's a shame about the cruise though - I'm going to be there, and I was looking forward to seeing them all.

Offline Cocopjojo

• Astral Traveler
« Reply #233 on: May 03, 2022, 10:49:29 AM »
Did anyone on the cruise make it to the Q&A? I missed it as it was right after we boarded. I’m curious what they said about the new album.

Offline Cocopjojo

• Astral Traveler
« Reply #234 on: May 04, 2022, 07:21:46 PM »
The show tonight on the cruise was fun.

Setlist (I may have missed one early on since I didn’t recognize the new ones, but I don’t think so):

{new song} (I’d call it “Return to Heaven Hill”)
{new song}
Diamonds
Southern Belle
Heartland
Bluebells
Mega Moon
{new song} (“Don’t Stop”?)
A Kid Called Panic
Small Encore: Constant Bloom (no mics)

This was my first time ever seeing them live. Petter wasn’t there, which was announced prior to the cruise, due to the recent birth of his second child. Simon handled vocals and he did a good job. Pontus on guitar sounded the closest to the album. The guys seemed excited to be performing live again.

My only two complaints were that it was unbearably loud near the front (we were wearing ear plugs and still had to move to a back row), and the sound guy had Sebastian’s keys way too low in the mix. At one point Rich Mouser came in to listen for a bit, and while I was being annoyed at Pontus’ guitar being too loud and Sebastian being too low, Rich got up from his seat and walked towards the mixing desk. I thought for sure he was about to say something, which would have been totally rude of course, but of course he was just getting a seat with a better view. Still, it was funny to me that he of all people came in while I was mildly annoyed at the mix. :laugh:

Overall, it was a good show. My wife said it was her favorite on the cruise so far.
« Last Edit: May 05, 2022, 01:23:52 AM by Cocopjojo »

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #235 on: May 04, 2022, 07:35:25 PM »
Their pop sensibility is what I love about them.

Offline Cocopjojo

• Astral Traveler
« Reply #236 on: May 05, 2022, 01:11:42 PM »
Their second show today was great. The set was the same as last night other than some swaps in order. It was at the pool and there were a lot of passerbys who seemed very interested. Someone near us seemed really impressed and asked us who the band was.

The sound guy was a lot more proactive today and the mix was better IMO.

The guy sitting next to me went to the Q&A and gave me a bunch of info about the new album.

- They said it will come out this year
- It’s “heavier”, which lines up with what I heard from the 3 new songs they played at the shows
- It’s been delayed the past year because “some guy related to Transatlantic is working on it and he’s been busy” (the guy telling me this was not super familiar with TA). I saw Rich Mouser at this show today again like last night - so it seems possible  to me that Rich might be mixing or mastering Himlabacken Vol. 2!
- There’s a song on the new album that’s in Swedish (either in part or in full)

Online HOF

« Reply #237 on: May 05, 2022, 01:48:10 PM »
Their second show today was great. The set was the same as last night other than some swaps in order. It was at the pool and there were a lot of passerbys who seemed very interested. Someone near us seemed really impressed and asked us who the band was.

The guy sitting next to me went to the Q&A and gave me a bunch of info about the new album.

- It’s “heavier”, which lines up with what I heard from the 3 new songs they played at the shows
- It’s been delayed the past year because “some guy related to Transatlantic is working on it and he’s been busy” (the guy telling me this was not super familiar with TA). I saw Rich Mouser at this show today again like last night - so it seems possible  to me that Rich might be mixing or mastering Himlabacken Vol. 2!

Interesting, though I could also see this being Roine, who has been very busy the last two years between TA and The Flower Kings. I think Mouser would be great though. Himlabacken Vol 1 did not have the fullest sound.

Offline Cocopjojo

• Astral Traveler
« Reply #238 on: May 05, 2022, 04:14:07 PM »

Interesting, though I could also see this being Roine, who has been very busy the last two years between TA and The Flower Kings. I think Mouser would be great though. Himlabacken Vol 1 did not have the fullest sound.
That would make sense too, especially given Moon Safari’s history with The Flower Kings.

I’m going to ask around on the boat and see if I can nail down who it is.

Offline Cocopjojo

• Astral Traveler
« Reply #239 on: May 06, 2022, 10:38:06 AM »
Rich confirmed! I ran into the band today and asked them - Rich Mouser is indeed mixing the album for them, and they said he’s got 2 songs done so far (out of how many, I don’t know).

Online HOF

« Reply #240 on: May 06, 2022, 10:45:02 AM »
Rich confirmed! I ran into the band today and asked them - Rich Mouser is indeed mixing the album for them, and they said he’s got 2 songs done so far (out of how many, I don’t know).

Awesome news! Hopefully they do get it done in time for a 2022 release as promised.

Offline Cocopjojo

• Astral Traveler
« Reply #241 on: January 31, 2023, 07:18:20 PM »
Obviously the new album did not release in 2022, but Petter replied to a fan on their Facebook page recently and said the following:

"6 songs are mixed, 3 more to go - coming 2023. I’ll sign over all my royalties to you if not true."

I would bet it's out by mid to late summer. We'll see, I suppose. Apologies to anyone who saw this bump and assumed better news.  :D

Online HOF

« Reply #242 on: January 31, 2023, 07:45:40 PM »
Obviously the new album did not release in 2022, but Petter replied to a fan on their Facebook page recently and said the following:

"6 songs are mixed, 3 more to go - coming 2023. I’ll sign over all my royalties to you if not true."

I would bet it's out by mid to late summer. We'll see, I suppose. Apologies to anyone who saw this bump and assumed better news.  :D

Hey, there seems to be a shortage of interesting releases so far in 2023, so this summer would be great.

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #243 on: January 31, 2023, 08:29:09 PM »
Fuck yeah!

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #244 on: January 31, 2023, 08:39:38 PM »
At this point, any news might be good news. I'm down for a late 2023 release!

-Marc.