Author Topic: The Foo Fighters Thread  (Read 83599 times)

Online fadetoblackdude7

Re: The Foo Fighters Thread
« Reply #525 on: February 05, 2021, 06:40:33 PM »
After only listen, I think it’s pretty good, probably mid tier in their catalogue for me. Making a Fire was the standout song and Shame Shame is definitely my least favorite song. The intro to the title track totally reminded me of Let’s Dance from Bowie which I thought was cool 👍

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #526 on: February 09, 2021, 11:28:39 AM »
I love Holding Poison cause it sounds like the first two albums. Especially a song like Wind Up which they've not done since then.

It's a good album and Chasing Birds reminds me of "Saltwater" by Julian Lennon.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #527 on: February 09, 2021, 11:45:40 AM »
Foo Fighters are either number one or number two (I guess Steven Wilson is the other) artists that on paper I SHOULD love, but, alas, just don't.   

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #528 on: February 09, 2021, 12:24:52 PM »
Foo Fighters are either number one or number two (I guess Steven Wilson is the other) artists that on paper I SHOULD love, but, alas, just don't.

I agree they are frustrating in that on paper they should write amazing albums every time but they put out

middle of the road adult rock like Sonic Highways or absolute dreck like Concrete and Gold

or really dull as ditchwater albums like Disc 2 of In Your Honour.

The first three albums are what i consider classic Foo Fighters - and Wasting Light is a career best.

But the rest of their albums are just so bland.

Medicine At Midnight is their best release since Wasting Light ten years ago if you don't count St Cecilia EP.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #529 on: February 09, 2021, 02:07:31 PM »
I have a Greatest Hits and I have the Medium Rare CD.   They have songs I wouldn't turn off.  Would I go out and buy their records?  Nope.  Would I go to a show?  If she was hot and gave me the extra ticket, sure, but I'm not breaking out the sleeping bag to get tix for their show.

Yet, they are an analogue, classic rock band with a host of the same influences (Grohl has played with most of my idols, loves Rush and Kiss... blah blah blah.)

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #530 on: February 09, 2021, 02:34:15 PM »
Plus ten albums in 25 years is not bad going.

I can think of some bands who have only managed two in that time.

When I was a kid - all my fave bands released an album every 2 years.

Nowadays it's more like three minimum. If you're lucky.

Offline Lonk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #531 on: June 18, 2021, 02:48:24 PM »
So, the Foo are turning into a disco band for the next release

https://www.bbc.com/news/entertainment-arts-57524428

Sounds interesting
Vmadera has evolved into Lonk

Offline MrBoom_shack-a-lack

• I hit things for a living!
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #532 on: June 21, 2021, 12:56:33 PM »
"I said to Nigel Tufnel, 'The door is open if you want to do anything on this record,' but it turns out Nigel has a phobia about doors." /Derek Smalls

Offline EPICVIEW

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #533 on: June 21, 2021, 06:07:41 PM »
Loved Nirvana as much as one could   saw dave on the first tour and the first 2 cds were good  ,, then to me its all bad..
"its so relieving to know that your leaving as soon as you get paid, Its so relaxing to know that your asking now that you got your way"

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #534 on: June 28, 2021, 05:07:12 AM »
Loved Nirvana as much as one could   saw dave on the first tour and the first 2 cds were good  ,, then to me its all bad..

Wasting Light is one of their best albums.

Offline chknptpie

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #535 on: June 28, 2021, 06:39:32 AM »

Wasting Light is one of their best albums.
x2 so good

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #536 on: June 28, 2021, 06:59:29 AM »
Their top 3 Albums

1. Foo Fighters
2. The Colour And The Shape
3. Wasting Light

Their worst 3 albums

8. In Your Honour
9. One By One
10. Concrete And Gold

I think Medicine At Midnight is their best effort in 10 years easily. But it's still not amazing.

Offline billboy73

« Reply #537 on: June 28, 2021, 02:00:31 PM »
Definitely with you on the top 3, except I would have the Colour and the Shape at the top.  Such a great record.  I tend to differ from most fans, and Dave, as he has talked about his dislike, on One By One.  I actually really enjoy that one, and put it middle of the pack.  Concrete and Gold is definitely the bottom though.  Haven't really given the new one a fair shake yet, as Concrete and Gold was such a dud following up Sonic Highways, that I wasn't super high on either.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #538 on: June 28, 2021, 04:17:23 PM »
Sonic Highways was like the songs that weren't good enough for Wasting Light. I like the idea of a different studio for every song. But it was very middle of the road rock.

I've spoken about my hatred of C&G many times. Also Disc 2 of In Your Honour...I don't think i've ever listened to it twice. It's so dull. ESPG is a decent album though.

Still mid-tier but not bad. From the same producer as TCATS.

Medicine At Midnight is Good but that's it. Good songs. Good Production. But a lot of the songs sound like the same chords and it's only 9 songs which makes me wonder if they

just rushed it out. Despite sitting on it for almost a year. Holding Poison and Making a Fire are classic Foo Fighters. I don't mind it being a bit more groovy but the album is too short.

Dave LOVES a gimmick and i'm shocked they didn't put at least TEN songs on their TENTH album.

Offline nick_z

« Reply #539 on: June 28, 2021, 07:43:24 PM »
Agreed on top 3, although the order would probably be Colour, Wasting Light and S/T for me. Wasting Light is such a great album.

I actually like In Your Honour, and enjoy Disc 2 too...the song "On the Mend" has always given me mellow Queensryche vibes...a bit of Silent Lucidity in there...could almost picture Tate singing it  ;)

Offline billboy73

« Reply #540 on: June 29, 2021, 07:58:53 AM »
I remember buying and really liking the first album when it came out, but the song that really hooked me on them back in the day was the cover of Down In the Park on that X-Files album.  I didn't know it was a cover at the time.  I listened to that song so much, but never got sick of it.  Still one of my favorite Foo tracks. 

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #541 on: June 29, 2021, 08:17:42 AM »
Surprised at how much love there is for the self-titled album, it just doesn't interest me whatsoever.

But Colour and Wasting Light I definitely agree with, those are my top 2.

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Online fadetoblackdude7

« Reply #542 on: June 29, 2021, 11:34:03 AM »
As of right now MaM sits at the bottom for me. It’s an ok album but nothing jumped out at me as great. Maybe it’ll click with me at some point down the road but for now, it’s dead last.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #543 on: June 30, 2021, 03:43:03 AM »
As of right now MaM sits at the bottom for me. It’s an ok album but nothing jumped out at me as great. Maybe it’ll click with me at some point down the road but for now, it’s dead last.

The production alone destroys C&G for me. It's their Saint Anger combined with Death Magnetic production. It's one of the worst sounding albums i've ever heard.

The song "La De Da" is literally *unlistenable*.

Online fadetoblackdude7

« Reply #544 on: June 30, 2021, 07:33:54 AM »

The production alone destroys C&G for me. It's their Saint Anger combined with Death Magnetic production. It's one of the worst sounding albums i've ever heard.

The song "La De Da" is literally *unlistenable*.

I always thought that was deliberate, to get that fuzzbox/distorted sound. Plus I love Dirty Water and Arrows.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #545 on: June 30, 2021, 04:57:08 PM »
It's AWFUL.

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #546 on: July 12, 2021, 03:46:56 AM »
As much as I enjoy them do whatever they want, i'm not feeling this 70s project. I love 70s music and the idea but hearing You Should Be Dancing felt a little lackluster.
"I said to Nigel Tufnel, 'The door is open if you want to do anything on this record,' but it turns out Nigel has a phobia about doors." /Derek Smalls

Offline Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #547 on: July 12, 2021, 03:54:53 AM »
I quite like Medicine At Midnight, it's probably their best album since Wasting Light to me.
Zydar is my new hero.  I just laughed so hard I nearly shat.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #548 on: July 12, 2021, 04:24:10 AM »
It definitely is.

As much as I enjoy them do whatever they want, i'm not feeling this 70s project. I love 70s music and the idea but hearing You Should Be Dancing felt a little lackluster.

It's just a bit of fun for record Store Day...

Offline Lonk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #549 on: July 19, 2021, 12:32:50 PM »
Dee Gees came out over the weekend, and I think they did a pretty good job with those songs. Night Fever sounds great

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rffCEMl9QuQ

And so does Tragedy:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DKle2p9W5To

Offline cfmoran13

« Reply #550 on: July 19, 2021, 08:12:07 PM »
Their top 3 Albums

1. Foo Fighters
2. The Colour And The Shape
3. Wasting Light
I totally agree with your top 3 albums, except TCATS would be my number 1.  Nothing since Wasting Light has done a thing for me.  To me, they've kinda gone to an area where there's no real excitement anymore.  It almost seems like they've become complacent. 

Offline WebRaider

• Like What You Like, People...
« Reply #551 on: July 20, 2021, 02:45:30 PM »
I feel like I'm the outsider here... I'm a fan of One by One and Concrete and Gold and not a fan of Sonic Highways or the new one so much (so far).

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #552 on: July 20, 2021, 03:46:18 PM »
Dee Gees came out over the weekend, and I think they did a pretty good job with those songs. Night Fever sounds great

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rffCEMl9QuQ

And so does Tragedy:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DKle2p9W5To

They did a good job with them all, but Tragedy and You Should Be Dancing are the ones I think come off the best.  Love that they did something like this.

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #553 on: November 08, 2021, 12:15:44 PM »
So the Foos are making a feature length horror comedy called Studio 666.

In "Studio 666", the legendary rock band FOO FIGHTERS move into an Encino mansion steeped in grisly rock and roll history to record their much-anticipated 10th album. Once in the house, Dave Grohl finds himself grappling with supernatural forces that threaten both the completion of the album and the lives of the band.

"After decades of ridiculous music videos and numerous music documentaries under our collective belts, it was finally time to take it to the next level… A full-length feature horror comedy film," said Grohl. "Like most things FOO, 'Studio 666' began with a far-fetched idea that blossomed into something bigger than we ever imagined possible. Filmed at the same house where we recorded our latest album 'Medicine At Midnight' (told you that place was haunted!), we wanted to recapture the classic magic that all of our favorite rock and roll movies had, but with a twist: hilarious gore that fucking ROCKS. And now, with the help of Tom Ortenberg and the team at Open Road Films, we can finally let this cat out of the bag after keeping it our best-kept secret for two years. Be ready to laugh, scream, and headbang in your popcorn. 'Studio 666' will fuck you up."

I mean, sign me up this sounds really fun!

Offline Lonk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #554 on: November 08, 2021, 12:26:14 PM »
Well that sounds fun, interesting  :corn

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #555 on: November 09, 2021, 01:17:46 PM »
Good luck guys - but probably the biggest rock band on the planet - METALLICA released a movie which was also a concert film with a giant stage production

and it lost them A LOT of money.

So I don't expect this film to do very well. Dave probably thinks that cause his couple of documentaries did well - that he can do a film too.

Nah theyre quite different.

Offline axeman90210

• Official Minister of Awesome, and Veronica knows my name!
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Never go full Nick
« Reply #556 on: December 09, 2021, 04:58:04 AM »
Figured this was the best place to put this, but it turns out Dave's daughter is a fantastic singer

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QrOelIPRtKo
Photobucket sucks.

Offline T-ski

« Reply #557 on: January 11, 2022, 06:04:33 PM »
Trailer for Studio 666…

https://youtu.be/UEDkqOBhPis
Is all that we see or seem, but a dream within a dream?

Offline Lonk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #558 on: January 11, 2022, 07:48:05 PM »
Trailer for Studio 666…

https://youtu.be/UEDkqOBhPis

It looks ridiculous and I love it.

Offline dparrott

« Reply #559 on: January 12, 2022, 02:36:38 PM »
I love the Dee Gees EP and want more.
"I don't know nuttin about nuttin" - Marshawn Lynch

The very soul of what was once real music is now lost in a digital quagmire of emotionless sonic madness.