Author Topic: Can Music Be Objectively Good?  (Read 17637 times)

Offline ClairvoyantCat

• DT is no longer Majesty.
Re: Can Music Be Objectively Good?
« Reply #70 on: December 23, 2010, 12:31:12 PM »

Well this is a whole new argument because then the debate becomes: What counts as music in the first place?

I think this is generally the same thing... if someone finds something to be music to them, then I see no reason why it shouldn't count.  If I heard a song in birds chirping, I think it should be music to me.  It's really the same subjectivity. 

Offline LudwigVan

• Proglodyte
« Reply #71 on: December 23, 2010, 12:46:53 PM »

Well this is a whole new argument because then the debate becomes: What counts as music in the first place?

I think this is generally the same thing... if someone finds something to be music to them, then I see no reason why it shouldn't count.  If I heard a song in birds chirping, I think it should be music to me.  It's really the same subjectivity. 

If we're talking about music as a human endeavor and a creative process, then I believe there has to be some form of "intent" for something to qualify as music.   Random sounds that happen to sound pretty or aesthetically pleasing to someone's ear shouldn't qualify.   
"There is nothing more difficult than talking about music."
--Camille Saint-Saëns

“All the good music has already been written by people with wigs and stuff.”
--Frank Zappa

Offline ClairvoyantCat

• DT is no longer Majesty.
« Reply #72 on: December 23, 2010, 12:48:43 PM »

If we're talking about music as a human endeavor and a creative process, then I believe there has to be some form of "intent" for something to qualify as music.   Random sounds that happen to sound pretty or aesthetically pleasing to someone's ear shouldn't qualify.   

Well, is music defined as a creative process or a human endeavor?

Offline 2Timer

• The only DT fan who plays country music!
  • Don't turn your back on parrot eyes
« Reply #73 on: December 23, 2010, 02:24:36 PM »
I am at the point where I feel that if a band writes a song, goes into a studio and records the song well (which I don't think is easy, by any means), and thousands of people hear it on the radio and like it enough to buy it or at least sing along with it every time they hear it, it's good music. I don't like most of the popular stuff today, in fact, you could say I hate most of it. But I have to admit that it's good music because of how many people like it. That's where I'm at these days.
I am God when it goes to hell
When it turns out good I'm not to blame

Offline emindead

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #74 on: December 23, 2010, 06:13:26 PM »

Offline kala1928

« Reply #75 on: December 24, 2010, 06:09:28 AM »
I think music can be objectively not crappy, but can't expect everyone to enjoy/like any band, no matter what.

Offline MetalManiac666

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #76 on: December 25, 2010, 10:57:02 PM »
I don't think music can be objectively good, but it can certainly be objectively bad.

I agree with this man.

Offline icysk8r

• DTF Resident Magician
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • www.bedeceived.com
« Reply #77 on: December 26, 2010, 12:23:58 AM »
I don't think music can be objectively good, but it can certainly be objectively bad.

I agree with this man.
Care to explain why?  I mean, that statement makes absolutely no sense.

There are fantastic, critically acclaimed albums which millions of people adore and which have very few detractors (said detractors usually citing a personal taste criteria rather than any other 'objective' criteria). Is this album objectively good? Close enough I say. Not 100% (no piece or art ever will be) but I think the word can be satisfactorily used in that vein. I also think musical discussion would be very boring if everyone just accepted that music is entirely subjective (ie, everyones opinion is correct)  :lol

My problem with this is that I don't consider a general or even an overwhelming consensus to mean objective. Objective to me implies a conclusion that can be reached logically, and whether a given song is good or bad doesn't fall under that.
This
www.bedeceived.com

ZOMG WHAT'S AT BEDECEIVED.COM?

I DUNNO!  CLICK THE DARNED LINK TO FIND OUT!

Offline MetalManiac666

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #78 on: December 26, 2010, 05:46:19 PM »

I agree with this man.
Care to explain why?  I mean, that statement makes absolutely no sense.

I actually meant to quote this post:
Objectively good music does not exist.

Offline WildRanger

« Reply #79 on: December 28, 2018, 09:52:38 AM »
Music can be objectively more complex or more difficult to perform, but one piece of music cannot be objectively better than another.

Yes, it can.
Maybe I'm comparing "pineapples to nuts" here, but Pachelbel's Canon in D is objectively (way) better than Despacito(that has over 5 billion views on YT).
Objective argument: Canon is on a much higher musical level than Despacito, it takes a way more personal talent, time and creative effort to be made.

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #80 on: December 28, 2018, 09:59:27 AM »
I don't know what's funnier: the fact that an 8 year old thread gets dug up, or the fact that it's WildRanger doing it, trying to generate the exact same discussion that got a thread of his closed :lol
Hey dude slow the fuck down so we can finish together at the same time.  :biggrin:
Squ
scRa are the resultaten of sound nog bring propey

Offline twosuitsluke

• Dovie'andi se tovya sagain
« Reply #81 on: December 28, 2018, 10:01:44 AM »
I don't know what's funnier: the fact that an 8 year old thread gets dug up, or the fact that it's WildRanger doing it, generating the exact same discussion that got a thread of his closed :lol

Objectively, the latter is funnier, without question!

Offline WildRanger

« Reply #82 on: December 28, 2018, 10:19:27 AM »
I don't know what's funnier: the fact that an 8 year old thread gets dug up, or the fact that it's WildRanger doing it, trying to generate the exact same discussion that got a thread of his closed :lol

I found this thread and it was not closed as mine. Previous comments in this threads were really interesting and I just added my statement into discussion.

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
  • tdjghjjkhliòujoàupougjyufkuyrkuyt
« Reply #83 on: December 28, 2018, 10:36:50 AM »
i don't know if you know internet etiquette at all but bumping an 8 year old thread is pretty bad etiquette regardless of the reason

Offline Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #84 on: December 28, 2018, 11:20:31 AM »
Music can be objectively more complex or more difficult to perform, but one piece of music cannot be objectively better than another.

Yes, it can.
Maybe I'm comparing "pineapples to nuts" here, but Pachelbel's Canon in D is objectively (way) better than Despacito(that has over 5 billion views on YT).
Objective argument: Canon is on a much higher musical level than Despacito, it takes a way more personal talent, time and creative effort to be made.

Objectively speaking, Pachalbel's Canon in D sucks balls.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline WildRanger

« Reply #85 on: December 28, 2018, 11:39:07 AM »

Yes, it can.

Are you serious? You don't recognize any musical quality about Canon in D?

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
  • tdjghjjkhliòujoàupougjyufkuyrkuyt
« Reply #86 on: December 28, 2018, 11:43:18 AM »
despacito is a jam & also a great meme

Offline Adami

« Reply #87 on: December 28, 2018, 11:45:14 AM »

Yes, it can.

I didn't say that. I said it sucked balls.

Objectively.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #88 on: December 28, 2018, 12:06:16 PM »
I recognize that it took some musical ability to put together Bad Blood, but that doesn't mean that ability was put to good use.

Offline Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #89 on: December 28, 2018, 01:14:52 PM »

Yes, it can.

Objectively.

It's true. I've seen it.
"Owners of dogs will have noticed that, if you provide them with food and water and shelter and affection, they will think you are God. Whereas owners of cats are compelled to realize that, if you provide them with food and water and affection, they draw the conclusion that they are God.” — Christopher Hitchens

Offline RoeDent

• 2006 Time Magazine Person of the Year
« Reply #90 on: December 28, 2018, 01:59:35 PM »
We're gonna get to the bottom of what you're about eventually, Ranger! Not content with merely triggering people in your own threads, now you're digging up ridiculously old threads to do the same.

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #91 on: December 28, 2018, 02:19:45 PM »

Yes, it can.

Objectively.

It's true. I've seen it.

I bet we didn't see the same video though and no crossing swords.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #92 on: December 28, 2018, 02:47:17 PM »
 :lol
"Owners of dogs will have noticed that, if you provide them with food and water and shelter and affection, they will think you are God. Whereas owners of cats are compelled to realize that, if you provide them with food and water and affection, they draw the conclusion that they are God.” — Christopher Hitchens

Offline Implode

• Lord of the Squids
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #93 on: December 28, 2018, 03:46:35 PM »
Why did you resurrect this horrible thread?

Offline nobloodyname

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #94 on: December 29, 2018, 03:18:36 AM »

So the more "personal talent, time and creative effort" goes into a piece of music, the more objectively good it is? Right. Got it.

The question was answered on the first page with a simple "no".
Paul
Gamer, rocker, humanist, womble
Leicestershire, UK
Getting right out of my comfort zone: www.youtube.com/@paulplayspoorly Go on, you can do it, too! (24/3/2024: Now playing on Paul Plays Poorly!, The Answer Lies Within by Dream Theater)

Offline WildRanger

« Reply #95 on: December 29, 2018, 03:47:45 AM »
What would @ChuckSteak say on my post?

Offline jammindude

« Reply #96 on: December 29, 2018, 06:41:47 AM »

So the more "personal talent, time and creative effort" goes into a piece of music, the more objectively good it is? Right. Got it.

So a 3 yr old “writing a song” by banging on pots and pans in the kitchen is the equal of a Beethoven symphony, because it’s all completely subjective? Right. Got it.
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Offline Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #97 on: December 29, 2018, 06:49:25 AM »

So a 3 yr old “writing a song” by banging on pots and pans in the kitchen is the equal of a Beethoven symphony, because it’s all completely subjective? Right. Got it.

Whew! Finally. I was beginning to lose hope that we would ever get here.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #98 on: December 29, 2018, 06:54:10 AM »

https://youtu.be/Qkf4cAfJqxI?t=61
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Mladen

« Reply #99 on: December 29, 2018, 07:07:03 AM »
This is a legitimate question, given that people always play the "subjective" or "it's a matter of taste" card when someone makes a point of certain music being bad. If the music cannot be objectively bad, then it could be argued that music cannot be objectively good neither. Then again, there are obvious reasons why something is good, whereas something being called bad music by a group of people can be dismissed from various perspectives by another group.

Offline jammindude

« Reply #100 on: December 29, 2018, 07:52:32 AM »

Whew! Finally. I was beginning to lose hope that we would ever get here.

:rollin

Offline jammindude

« Reply #101 on: December 29, 2018, 07:55:28 AM »
My take is an abstract one.

There IS a line.

No one can define it. No one can say precisely where it is. And it may, in fact, be a very blurry line that moves around for different people. But no one can say the line doesn’t exist. Because it does exist.

Offline Adami

« Reply #102 on: December 29, 2018, 07:56:16 AM »

The equal? Who cares?

Even if every single human being on earth agrees that Beethoven is better than a 3 yr old writing a song on pots and pans, it's STILL not objective.

Again.........who cares? Why does it need to be objective? Why do we need our opinions so validated? Are we so insecure that we can't feel better without knowing we're objectively right?
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline Adami

« Reply #103 on: December 29, 2018, 07:56:42 AM »
My take is an abstract one.

There IS a line.

No one can define it. No one can say precisely where it is. And it may, in fact, be a very blurry line that moves around for different people. But no one can say the line doesn’t exist. Because it does exist.

It doesn't exist.

boom.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline nobloodyname

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #104 on: December 29, 2018, 08:00:14 AM »

Oh, good grief.
Paul
Gamer, rocker, humanist, womble
Leicestershire, UK
Getting right out of my comfort zone: www.youtube.com/@paulplayspoorly Go on, you can do it, too! (24/3/2024: Now playing on Paul Plays Poorly!, The Answer Lies Within by Dream Theater)