Author Topic: Can Music Be Objectively Good?  (Read 17702 times)

Offline Implode

• Lord of the Squids
  • DTF.org Alumni
Can Music Be Objectively Good?
« on: December 21, 2010, 10:02:28 PM »
I want to see what you guys all think.

To what extent can music be objectively good? If there is objectively good music, what are some qualities that makes it good?

Offline sonatafanica

• cocksucking maniac
  • DTF.org Member
  • ☠☠☠☠☠☠jesus take the wheel☠☠☠☠☠☠
Re: Can Music Be Objectively Good?
« Reply #1 on: December 21, 2010, 10:03:40 PM »
Björk.

Offline juice

• om nom nom
« Reply #2 on: December 21, 2010, 10:07:41 PM »
Dream Theater.
Devin Townsend.

Offline skydivingninja

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3 on: December 21, 2010, 10:09:42 PM »
Not even a band as revered as the Beatles can be labelled as "objectively good."

Offline Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #4 on: December 21, 2010, 10:09:58 PM »
Yes and No.

Kind of.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline Implode

• Lord of the Squids
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5 on: December 21, 2010, 10:27:16 PM »
All well versed answers, guys.  :lol

I want to know more of the aspects of the music though, not just bands. Like, why is DT good? I think it has some to do with putting meaning and hard work into a song...of course...but there's more to it.

Offline LieLowTheWantedMan

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #6 on: December 21, 2010, 10:27:29 PM »
Dark Side of The Moon.

/thread

Offline Implode

• Lord of the Squids
  • DTF.org Alumni

Offline LieLowTheWantedMan

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #8 on: December 21, 2010, 10:33:30 PM »
/thread

Not yet.

Dark Side of The Moon.

Why?
Well I'll admit, DSoTM is only my third favourite Floyd album, behind WYWH and Animals. But DSoTM is one of the only albums in the world where I personally wouldn't change a single note, and I honestly can't find anything wrong with it. Plus, I don't know anyone personally who dislikes it (though I'm sure most of you might).

Offline zxlkho

• Official Dream Theater Hater.
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #9 on: December 21, 2010, 10:44:38 PM »
I don't dislike it, but I certainly don't care for it much. Animals is the only Floyd album that I've listened to and absolutely loved.
I AM A GUY
You're a fucking stupid bitch.
Orion....that's the one with a bunch of power chords and boringly harsh vocals, isn't it?

Offline skydivingninja

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #10 on: December 21, 2010, 11:18:02 PM »
All well versed answers, guys.  :lol

I want to know more of the aspects of the music though, not just bands. Like, why is DT good? I think it has some to do with putting meaning and hard work into a song...of course...but there's more to it.

DT is good to lots of people because their songs have a sweeping, majestic, epic feel without feeling cheesy (even on songs like ITPOE), decent lyrics (excluding the last few albums), and excellent performers combined with plenty of well-constructed songs.  That's why I like them, and why plenty of people like them, but it doesn't make those aspects of the music objectively good or bad. 

Offline Gorille85

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #11 on: December 21, 2010, 11:20:29 PM »
Objectively good music does not exist.

Offline Dimitrius

• DT.net Member
  • Fuckin' magnets, how do they work?
« Reply #12 on: December 21, 2010, 11:29:46 PM »
I don't dislike it, but I certainly don't care for it much. Animals is the only Floyd album that I've listened to and absolutely loved.
I'm kinda on the same boat as this, though I like WYWH also. But don't trust my judgement, I'm the resident PF hater here.
Joe and I in the same squad is basically the virtual equivalent of us plowing a rape van through an elementary school playground at recess.

Offline Genowyn

• That name's pretty cool, and honestly, I'd like to change mine to it.
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • But Hachikuji, I've told you over and over...
« Reply #13 on: December 21, 2010, 11:36:51 PM »
I don't think music can be objectively good, but it can certainly be objectively bad.

...my name is Araragi.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #14 on: December 21, 2010, 11:37:07 PM »

Offline j

« Reply #15 on: December 21, 2010, 11:38:53 PM »
No.

-J

Offline Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #16 on: December 21, 2010, 11:40:18 PM »
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline Portrucci

• Fission Mailed
  • You're just another hero riding through the night
« Reply #17 on: December 22, 2010, 12:12:57 AM »
Music can be objectively superior to another piece of music, for example, Beethoven's 9th Symphony is objectively better than a song I make by farting into a microphone for 10 minutes. However there is always personal preference and someone might really, really like my farting song. Should this mean objectively is obsolete? I don't think so. We don't have to be so incredibly strict on these definitions.

Can a piece of music be objectively good by itself? Loosely, yes. An album or work that has achieved (close to) unanimous praise I would consider objectively good, regardless of whether it 100% holds to the implication that everyone who hears it will like it. I don't think objectivity in music is something to get particularly worried about, it should neither allow people to feel superior to others nor should it mean that all music is created equal. Some works of art ARE just that good that the majority of people will find them appealing. That's about as objective as we can get.
on par with the anguish one would have from getting unconsensually bent over and buttloved.

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #18 on: December 22, 2010, 04:01:13 AM »
This.

I don't think music can be objectively good, but it can certainly be objectively bad.
That makes no sense.

Music can have objective characteristics, and aspects of music can have objective quality (such as technical proficiency, for example), but none of that directly links to whether it is good or not. Whether something good or bad is entirely subjective.

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #19 on: December 22, 2010, 04:03:12 AM »
Can a piece of music be objectively good by itself? Loosely, yes. An album or work that has achieved (close to) unanimous praise I would consider objectively good, regardless of whether it 100% holds to the implication that everyone who hears it will like it. I don't think objectivity in music is something to get particularly worried about, it should neither allow people to feel superior to others nor should it mean that all music is created equal. Some works of art ARE just that good that the majority of people will find them appealing. That's about as objective as we can get.
So the most popular stuff is the most objectively good? Because, frankly, that is the only possible way to objectively measure quality, and even that is VERY tenuous.

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Offline jsem

« Reply #20 on: December 22, 2010, 04:10:48 AM »
What's good or bad music is in the eye of the beholder.

Offline SPNKr

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #21 on: December 22, 2010, 04:16:00 AM »
I know some objectively good music like Hendrix, Coltrane, Zeppelin, Floyd. Not all music though. I think most "classic" music is.

Offline Portrucci

• Fission Mailed
« Reply #22 on: December 22, 2010, 04:44:24 AM »
So the most popular stuff is the most objectively good? Because, frankly, that is the only possible way to objectively measure quality, and even that is VERY tenuous.
Is my fart song objectively worse than Beethoven's 9th? If yes, music isn't entirely subjective. If you answered no, I'll pm you the link  :biggrin:

Sure that's an extreme example, but I don't understand why people get so relied up about objectively, like it somehow ruins music. No it doesn't, it just means that there are aspects about music which are GENERALLY preferred to other aspects. Does this mean everyone will prefer these aspects? No. If you want a semantic argument, you win. But if we are talking loosely about the concept. Yes it exists in music.
on par with the anguish one would have from getting unconsensually bent over and buttloved.

Offline Ultimetalhead

• The Mighty Masturbator
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • .ay rof dab s'ti dna...
« Reply #23 on: December 22, 2010, 04:54:27 AM »
As much as I wish it could be, music is one of those things that is not objective at all. Period.
Orion....that's the one with a bunch of power chords and boringly harsh vocals, isn't it?
LOOK AT THIS AWESOME SHIT AHHHHHH

Offline Portrucci

• Fission Mailed
« Reply #24 on: December 22, 2010, 05:03:02 AM »
There are fantastic, critically acclaimed albums which millions of people adore and which have very few detractors (said detractors usually citing a personal taste criteria rather than any other 'objective' criteria). Is this album objectively good? Close enough I say. Not 100% (no piece or art ever will be) but I think the word can be satisfactorily used in that vein. I also think musical discussion would be very boring if everyone just accepted that music is entirely subjective (ie, everyones opinion is correct)  :lol

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
  • Bouncing around the room
« Reply #25 on: December 22, 2010, 05:52:10 AM »

Pretty much this.
I can hear music myself, and think "hey, this is pretty good even though i dont like it", but i don't feel like there's any artist or band, where the whole world could unite and say "this is good".

Offline bodiesinflight

• I prefer drone
« Reply #26 on: December 22, 2010, 05:56:49 AM »
No, but individuals can attempt to make objective decisions as to whether something is good or not.

Drowned in Sound
Echoes & Dust
Stereoboard

Offline Bombardana

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #27 on: December 22, 2010, 06:05:43 AM »
No.

Offline Sigz

• BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD
  • DTF.org Member
  • THRONES FOR THE THRONE SKULL
« Reply #28 on: December 22, 2010, 06:52:56 AM »
There are fantastic, critically acclaimed albums which millions of people adore and which have very few detractors (said detractors usually citing a personal taste criteria rather than any other 'objective' criteria). Is this album objectively good? Close enough I say. Not 100% (no piece or art ever will be) but I think the word can be satisfactorily used in that vein. I also think musical discussion would be very boring if everyone just accepted that music is entirely subjective (ie, everyones opinion is correct)  :lol

My problem with this is that I don't consider a general or even an overwhelming consensus to mean objective. Objective to me implies a conclusion that can be reached logically, and whether a given song is good or bad doesn't fall under that.
The world is a stage, but the play is badly cast.

Offline AcidLameLTE

• Nae deal pal
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #29 on: December 22, 2010, 06:58:29 AM »
Unless you're briang, no.

Offline Jamesman42

• There you'll find me
  • DT.net Member
  • Spiral OUT
« Reply #30 on: December 22, 2010, 07:16:21 AM »
I thought it was clear that music cannot be objectively valued? Otherwise, it is no longer a total artistic expression/experience, but a system to be followed.

Offline Perpetual Change

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #31 on: December 22, 2010, 07:43:27 AM »
Here's my take:

All music is objectively good. People just have bad subjective experiences with some of it.

Offline Sir GuitarCozmo

• Official Forum Sous Chef and broler5
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Kelly Clarkson BEEFS
« Reply #32 on: December 22, 2010, 07:55:15 AM »
As long as bands like Nickelback and Creed exist, I will never be able to believe that music can be objectively good.

I wouldn't believe it anyway as it's all a matter of personal interpretation, but still.

Offline lordxizor

• EZBoard Elder
  • and that is the truth.
« Reply #33 on: December 22, 2010, 07:58:24 AM »
Music can be objectively more complex or more difficult to perform, but one piece of music cannot be objectively better than another.

Offline TheOutlawXanadu

• The Original Unseasoned Fan
  • DTF.com Member
  • The Original Unseasoned Fan
« Reply #34 on: December 22, 2010, 08:30:06 AM »
It cannot because in order to measure quality, one must make criteria, which will be different for everyone.

Furthermore, whether or not people will admit it, how good one thinks a particular piece of of music is is influenced greatly by things like expectations, preconceptions and how much that person actually wants to like what they are hearing in the first place.
:TOX: <-- My own emoticon!