Author Topic: All Star Trek Discussion Thread ("Into Darkness" trailer released)  (Read 430286 times)

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
Re: All Star Trek Discussion Thread ("Into Darkness" trailer released)
« Reply #3535 on: June 12, 2013, 04:07:21 PM »
I also have to say, I usually hate the episodes where Star Trek simply transports the main characters into some historical setting. But in the case of Q and the "Merry Men" with Vash, it was totally awesome. Worf's destruction of Geordi's lute is priceless :lol

And a direct shout-out to Animal House, which cracked me up.  I was definitely not expecting it.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3536 on: June 12, 2013, 04:21:17 PM »
Care to elaborate ? I've not seen Animal House.

Offline yorost

• Inactive
« Reply #3537 on: June 12, 2013, 04:43:03 PM »
https://en.memory-alpha.org/wiki/Qpid_(episode)#Background_Information

Greatest website around for Star Trek fans. It's a detailed, interesting companion to read after every episode you watch. Avoid if you aren't well versed in Star Trek, though, it does end up containing future spoilers sometimes.

Also: https://youtu.be/SOkoIObQQrU
« Last Edit: June 12, 2013, 04:55:35 PM by yorost »

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #3538 on: June 12, 2013, 07:17:48 PM »
Watch Animal House. It's a fantastic movie. Great story and great characters. Several of them were heroes of mine growing up. Also, It's one of the very finest scores from arguably the greatest cinema composer ever. As with much of his work, Bernstein's music is every bit as much of the movie as any of the actors. Probably the movie's best (and funniest) quality.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #3539 on: June 12, 2013, 08:04:57 PM »
Besides, Major league Yabos.  That is all.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #3540 on: June 12, 2013, 08:53:12 PM »

I was going to find both scenes, so you could compare them, but someone already did it and saved me the trouble:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G1xqI_4btnc

Offline chknptpie

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #3541 on: June 12, 2013, 10:11:20 PM »
I recently watched that episode - its hilarious

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
« Reply #3542 on: June 12, 2013, 10:59:09 PM »
I certainly like Q. Well, TNG Q.

I've seen his DS9/VOY episodes a lot more recently, and every single one of them is shit, so unfortunately that's my lasting impression of Q, at least until the next time I watch through TNG.

Obviously his last appearance in TNG was pretty damn good. Looking through the list of his TNG episodes, I'd call half of them good, and the rest pretty bad. All of his other appearances are awful too.

I just hate the concept of the character in general though. Omnipotence and power is always handled in such a heavy handed and narrow minded way in TV shows and movies. When you consider the scope of time and space a being like Q covers, his appearances in Trek just make little sense to me.
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3543 on: June 13, 2013, 04:28:12 PM »
Just Watched "Frame Of Mind" again. One of the best TNG episodes, and Frakes did a great job in my opinion.

Those are the kind of episodes I really like - where everything is messed up and you don't know what's going on til the final few mins.

I wish there were more like that.

Also - it would have been cool if *somehow* it made you wonder if Riker really was imagining it - but it's Star Trek so you know he's going to be OK at the end...But would have been cool to explore that premise.
« Last Edit: June 13, 2013, 04:35:37 PM by Kotowboy »

Offline The King in Crimson

• Stuck in a glass dome since 1914!
  • Mr. Sandman, Give Me A Dream
« Reply #3544 on: June 13, 2013, 06:45:25 PM »
I certainly like Q. Well, TNG Q.

I've seen his DS9/VOY episodes a lot more recently, and every single one of them is shit, so unfortunately that's my lasting impression of Q, at least until the next time I watch through TNG.

Obviously his last appearance in TNG was pretty damn good. Looking through the list of his TNG episodes, I'd call half of them good, and the rest pretty bad. All of his other appearances are awful too.

I just hate the concept of the character in general though. Omnipotence and power is always handled in such a heavy handed and narrow minded way in TV shows and movies. When you consider the scope of time and space a being like Q covers, his appearances in Trek just make little sense to me.
Well, that's true of TNG episodes in general. :)

Looking at the list of Q episodes, I'd call only two of them less than good, "Encounter at Farpoint" and "Hide and Q."  Farpoint, well, it's problems are well documented and while I wouldn't blame the Q character for it being bad, he certainly didn't do much to redeem it. Also, for a race of omnipotent beings, they're pretty damn clueless about some basic things. "Hide and Q" is a typical first season episode and, as such, it sucks.

The rest are mostly pretty good. "True Q" is kinda bland, but it's largely inoffensive when compared to other truly bad TNG episodes. I'd say Q episodes have a pretty good batting average, much better than DS9's Ferengi or alternate universe episodes at least.

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #3545 on: June 13, 2013, 06:46:25 PM »
Ah yes, I arrived at arguably one of the worst TNG episodes: Skin of Evil, with the blob that kills Tasha.
"I liked when Myung looked like a women's figure skating champion."

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #3546 on: June 13, 2013, 07:42:44 PM »
That's how I picture blob here.  With that terrible voice.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3547 on: June 13, 2013, 07:47:43 PM »

Explaining to everyone why they didn't like a particular episode :lol

" OH YOU THOUGHT FRAME OF MIND WAS A DECENT EPISODE. I FOUND FRAKES ACTING OVER THE TOP AND THE SCRIPT WAS UNBELIEVABLE EVEN THOUGH ITS THREE HUNDRED YEARS FROM NOW AND ITS FICTON. KNEEL BEFORE BLOB OR I WILL THROW ANOTHER OF YOU ON THE BARBIE !!!

BWA HA HA HA HA HA !!! "
« Last Edit: June 13, 2013, 07:55:41 PM by Kotowboy »

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3548 on: June 13, 2013, 10:16:53 PM »
Ah yes, I arrived at arguably one of the worst TNG episodes: Skin of Evil, with the blob that kills Tasha.

That's one of my favourite episodes for no other reason than the fact they killed Yar. And I'm glad she got the most lame death ever. Hated her character with a passion.

:blob: No comment.

Offline JayOctavarium

• I used to be a whorejerk
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • But then I took a Hef to the knee...
« Reply #3549 on: June 14, 2013, 01:28:14 AM »
That's one of my favourite episodes for no other reason than the fact they killed Yar. And I'm glad she got the most lame death ever. Hated her character with a passion.

THIS
I just don't understand what they were trying to achieve with any part of the song, either individually or as a whole. You know what? It's the Platypus of Dream Theater songs. That bill doesn't go with that tail, or that strange little furry body, or those webbed feet, and oh god why does it have venomous spurs!? And then you find out it lays eggs too. The difference is that the Platypus is somehow functional despite being a crazy mishmash or leftover animal pieces

-BlobVanDam on "Scarred"

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3550 on: June 14, 2013, 01:30:25 AM »

THIS

:hifive:

Offline The King in Crimson

• Stuck in a glass dome since 1914!
  • Mr. Sandman, Give Me A Dream
« Reply #3551 on: June 14, 2013, 08:30:08 AM »

THIS

What? You didn't enjoy being sermonized to about how 'Drugs are bad m'kay'? ;D

Offline JayOctavarium

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3552 on: June 14, 2013, 12:52:11 PM »

THIS

What? You didn't enjoy being sermonized to about how 'Drugs are bad m'kay'? ;D

The only thing that mattered in that episode is that she was G O N E

:D
I just don't understand what they were trying to achieve with any part of the song, either individually or as a whole. You know what? It's the Platypus of Dream Theater songs. That bill doesn't go with that tail, or that strange little furry body, or those webbed feet, and oh god why does it have venomous spurs!? And then you find out it lays eggs too. The difference is that the Platypus is somehow functional despite being a crazy mishmash or leftover animal pieces

-BlobVanDam on "Scarred"

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3553 on: June 14, 2013, 01:03:59 PM »
I dunno why the writers didn't make Worf - a Klingon warrior - the security officer from the outset.

Offline JayOctavarium

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3554 on: June 14, 2013, 01:04:57 PM »
I dunno why the writers didn't make Worf - a Klingon warrior - the security officer from the outset.

Because she was more qualified? idk

-BlobVanDam on "Scarred"

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3555 on: June 14, 2013, 01:06:01 PM »
b...but they wrote that in ! They should have gone " We've got a klingon here - let's make him the ship's butler or something and this whiny scrawny girl the head of security "  :lol

Offline JayOctavarium

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3556 on: June 14, 2013, 01:13:09 PM »
If she wasn't the head of security then maybe it would have been Worf dying instead of Tasha Yar... :sadpanda:

-BlobVanDam on "Scarred"

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3557 on: June 14, 2013, 01:52:01 PM »
No because Denise Crosby wanted out of the show :P

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #3558 on: June 14, 2013, 03:47:57 PM »

They should have written it so that she just spontaneously dropped dead of an aneurism while standing at her station. "Hailing frequencies op--oh, I feel a little--THUD!"

And yeah, her DARE lecture might have been the all time low in a show full of low moments. I've seen Afterschool Specials that were better executed than that.

edit: Best death in Star Trek  This should have been Tasha Yar.
« Last Edit: June 14, 2013, 04:28:33 PM by El Barto »
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3559 on: June 14, 2013, 10:06:57 PM »

Because she was more qualified? idk

More like it was the late '80s and they were trying to be new age and progressive, with their ship's councilor, and short haired female as the security officer, and a kid flying the ship.

They should have written it so that she just spontaneously dropped dead of an aneurism while standing at her station. "Hailing frequencies op--oh, I feel a little--THUD!"

And yeah, her DARE lecture might have been the all time low in a show full of low moments. I've seen Afterschool Specials that were better executed than that.

edit: Best death in Star Trek  This should have been Tasha Yar.

:lol A classic, although I put in my vote for terminal diarrhea, or an allergic reaction to a space peanut and her throat closed off and nobody bothered to help her.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3560 on: June 14, 2013, 10:12:59 PM »
I watched that episode tonight. Something akin to that for Trek 3 would be good.

A black hole where all the physics are messed up.

Not just generic bad guy VS Federation for the 5th time in a row.

Offline JayOctavarium

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3561 on: June 15, 2013, 09:23:51 PM »
Sitting in theater waiting for the new movie. Finally

-BlobVanDam on "Scarred"

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3562 on: June 18, 2013, 05:33:44 PM »
Been watching a lot of TNG on NetFlix recently.

And i've decided that Jon Frakes is the second best regular actor on the show after Patrick Stewart.

He's really good IMO.

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #3563 on: June 18, 2013, 10:29:40 PM »
Here's another actor connection I never realized until now: Kehlyr (Worf's love interest is the same woman as the woman in the DS9 genetically engineered trio.
"I liked when Myung looked like a women's figure skating champion."

Offline yorost

• Inactive
« Reply #3564 on: June 19, 2013, 10:12:33 AM »
The trio was a quad, and they weren't played by the same actress according to Alpha.

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #3565 on: June 19, 2013, 10:16:30 AM »
Don't know which trio (or quad) you're referring to, but it doesn't appear she was ever in DS9. All the other series, though. Never noticed she was the female Q, but in retrospect it seems pretty obvious.
E.F. Benson

Offline yorost

• Inactive
« Reply #3566 on: June 19, 2013, 10:19:56 AM »
There were four genetically engineered patients Bashir helped over two episodes. ...a nut, a ghost, a child, and a stalker. He was referring to the stalker, I think.

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #3567 on: June 19, 2013, 10:26:06 AM »
Oh, those guys. The first one was a pretty cool episode. Not sure why you call the old one a ghost, though. The nut always made me think of Gomez Adams.
E.F. Benson

Offline yorost

• Inactive
« Reply #3568 on: June 19, 2013, 10:31:31 AM »
Old one was the child.

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #3569 on: June 19, 2013, 10:33:44 AM »
Ah, that makes more sense.

Just noticed that episode was directed by Potsie Weber. Knew he was a director, but forgot he'd worked on ST.
E.F. Benson