Author Topic: Mike Portnoy on wanting to rejoin Dream Theater  (Read 140120 times)

Offline Silver Tears

• DTF.org Member
Re: Mike Portnoy on wanting to rejoin Dream Theater
« Reply #70 on: December 21, 2010, 03:20:57 PM »
Sorry for another n00b question (I've been really out of touch with the whole MP/drummer situation) but has DT actually picked their replacement drummer yet and are waiting to announce it or are they still deciding?

Offline IdoSC

« Reply #71 on: December 21, 2010, 03:21:36 PM »
Sorry for another n00b question (I've been really out of touch with the whole MP/drummer situation) but has DT actually picked their replacement drummer yet and are waiting to announce it or are they still deciding?
They picked him.

Offline The Dark Master

• Veteran of the Psychic Wars
« Reply #72 on: December 21, 2010, 03:23:02 PM »
What bothers me the most about Mike's "I am the band" attitude is the fact that he wasn't even that much of a band leader for most of their early (and by and large, better) works.  Prior to Falling Into Infinity, Portnoy wrote only two songs; A Change of Seasons and The Mirror; that was it.  Oh, and I believe he wrote the "rap" part of Take The Time.  But from '86 - '94, Petrucci and Moore were the clear creative leaders, with occasional input form Portnoy, Myung, Dominici and LaBrie.  Then Moore left after Awake, and Portnoy, and to a lesser extent, LaBrie, stepped up to fill in the void, but even then, it wasn't the Mike Portnoy show.  He didn't really take over the band until Scenes From A Memory; though it seems like on SFAM, the other members were still permitted a lot of freedom with creative contributions (i.e.; Myung was still allowed to write lyrics).  After that, though, Mike completely took over the band's creative direction, with a growing focus on sounding "cool" and "modern".  As the band began to climb back in the mainstream starting with Train of Thought, Mike probably viewed their growing success as validation of his "rule", and began to exert ever more control over the band, using Petrucci mainly as a lyric-writing machine and virtually freezing the others out of having any meaningful say in their own band.  I remember Mike commenting on multiple occasions (interviews and the bonus materiel on the Chaos In Motion DVD) that everyone in the band was cool with how the ship was being run and there were no major internal problems.  But it is clear now that there was a lot of tension under the surface, especially with Myung, and when Mike presented them with the choice of either an indefinite hiatus or a Dream Theater without Portnoy, they chose the latter, and now he wonders why they would do such a thing when everything had been so "perfect" for a decade.  I respect Mike a lot for all he did, not to mention his talent, but after the last two albums the band clearly needed some fresh ideas and he should have had the common sense to just step aside and let the others write the music.  But no, he wanted them to wait around while he was having the time of his life with A7X, and when they refused and said they would press on with or without him, somehow, he felt like he was the victim.  And his self victimization is one thing I cannot stand.

I know a lot of people here don't like David Prater, but after all that has gone down recently, I suspect there is some truth to his statement in Classic Rock: Prog that DT kicked Mike out because they were sick of having to accommodate his every whim.  While it may not have technically been a firing, they certainly had little qualms about moving on without him, and honestly, I can see why they would want to.  They had an opportunity to allow all the band members to write for the next album and to rid themselves of a leader that had grown stale in his own creative output.  Why wouldn't they want to take that risk?
« Last Edit: December 21, 2010, 05:02:15 PM by The Dark Master »

Offline IdoSC

« Reply #73 on: December 21, 2010, 03:24:20 PM »
Again, please, stop speculating. Mike doesn't have an "I am the band" attitude, god knows how anyone else would react in the same situation. It's not as easy as it looks like.

Offline Silver Tears

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #74 on: December 21, 2010, 03:26:15 PM »
They picked him.

Or her.

/feminism

But oooh that's exciting :caffeine:

Offline The Dark Master

« Reply #75 on: December 21, 2010, 03:27:30 PM »
Again, please, stop speculating. Mike doesn't have an "I am the band" attitude, god knows how anyone else would react in the same situation. It's not as easy as it looks like.

Much of his comments in interviews, DVD commentary and Lifting Shadows, suggest otherwise.

Offline Mr. Ister

« Reply #76 on: December 21, 2010, 03:28:31 PM »
Well said, Dark Master.  It's hard to know exactly what goes in between the band members, but judging from the press releases and twitter posts and stuff, you get the feeling that MP was constricting the band a little too much.  DT would obviously not be where they are without MP, but I think MP needs a bit of a reality check, and hopefully readjust his priorities and attitudes to be a little less constricting.
But if the dung comes out
He shits the death upon a man
Throw them a rag
Better to save the menstruate
Then surrender tuna sea crap
Whale!

Offline IdoSC

« Reply #77 on: December 21, 2010, 03:32:55 PM »

Much of his comments in interviews, DVD commentary and Lifting Shadows, suggest otherwise.
The fact he wore more than one hat, being a producer, songwriter and whatnot, and a few phrases in some interviews can't reveal the true nature of him.

After all, he HAD been a founding member of this band for 25 years, they ARE great friends, and fans do love him. It sounds completely reasonable to expect your fellow band members to be a little more sad and/or try to convince you back and/or accept you when you want to come back. The only thing I don't like about his behavior is all that internet-fest, but there's no reason to speculate so much about his own personality.

I do agree there's a high chance Portnoy did have a too big influence over the band's decisions over the last years, but anyone else could react just the way he did, in any kind of a band breakup, or any breakup overall.

Offline XJDenton

• What a shame
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #78 on: December 21, 2010, 03:33:06 PM »
If thats how you read into it then fair enough, but bear in mind that's just your interpretation of a fairly limited set of data. The occasional interview isn't enough to get an insight into the workings of the band. Really the only people who know how mike views his role in DT are the band themselves.
"For a successful technology, reality must take precedence over public relations, for nature cannot be fooled." - Richard Feynman

Offline The Dark Master

« Reply #79 on: December 21, 2010, 03:43:50 PM »

The fact he wore more than one hat, being a producer, songwriter and whatnot, and a few phrases in some interviews can't reveal the true nature of him.

After all, he HAD been a founding member of this band for 25 years, they ARE great friends, and fans do love him. It sounds completely reasonable to expect your fellow band members to be a little more sad and/or try to convince you back and/or accept you when you want to come back. The only thing I don't like about his behavior is all that internet-fest, but there's no reason to speculate so much about his own personality.

I do agree there's a high chance Portnoy did have a too big influence over the band's decisions over the last years, but anyone else could react just the way he did, in any kind of a band breakup, or any breakup overall.

Yes, he is a founding member (1 of 3), but he didn't take on all those hats until after FII.  And as for comments indicating his view of his control over the band, this has been very well documented in many official places that I already mentioned, but I believe his comment on the Score So Far documentary where he says in his own words that after FII "I laid down the law" summarizes the amount of control he exerted in the band pretty well.

Offline Pumpkin Pie

• starving musician
« Reply #80 on: December 21, 2010, 03:45:37 PM »

It's not speculation. It's common sense and logic. It's easy to always resort to, "Well, we aren't in the band therefore we know nothing." And granted, I'm sure there is a lot that we don't know as far as the extent of the conflict. However, if you've listened to interviews the past few years (be it formal, official, dvd, written, unofficial etc.) or seen any backstage footage, or heard their latest records, then the signs are everywhere. Connecting the dots is not that complicated guys. And please realize that I'm not trying to "bash" Mike just for the sake of it; I really have felt disappointed with him as the band leader the past few years/records. The issue has never been his drumming; we all know that he's great. For years I have felt that he either needed to distribute the band responsibilities equally among all the members, give more creative control, be a team player like he used to be, or just leave. Honestly, when I heard he had left, like many other fans I was very excited and pleased. I am ready for a positive change in DT. The last few records aren't bad in and of themselves, however I'm ready for a change. If by now it isn't obvious that Mike does have a strong case of "I am Dream Theater" attitude (the ever-growing control, the referring to himself in third person, the constant contradictions of his initial story in recent press releases) then I don't know what it will take....

Offline Pumpkin Pie

• starving musician
« Reply #81 on: December 21, 2010, 03:48:35 PM »
Also, I've never really liked the way MP takes more credit than he's due. JP and JM are the core of DT. They had already been writing and jamming long before they met MP. And Mike knows that....

Online Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #82 on: December 21, 2010, 03:49:28 PM »
Also, I've never really liked the way MP takes more credit than he's due. JP and JM are the core of DT. They had already been writing and jamming long before they met MP. And Mike knows that....

JP for sure. But JM sure hasn't been part of the "core" for years and years now.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline The Dark Master

« Reply #83 on: December 21, 2010, 03:49:40 PM »

This

Maybe Myung's role has been reduced over the past few albums, but he and Petrucci were playing together in the same bands for years before they met MP.  I wouldn't be surprised if the choice came down to JP picking between JM and MP, and he picked JM.

Offline jsem

« Reply #84 on: December 21, 2010, 03:53:03 PM »

JP for sure. But JM sure hasn't been part of the "core" for years and years now.
Which can contribute to what has rendered the two last albums not that great

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #85 on: December 21, 2010, 03:53:15 PM »
 Prior to Falling Into Infinity, Portnoy wrote only two songs; A Change of Seasons and The Mirror; that was it.  Oh, and I believe he wrote the "rap" part of Take The Time.  But from '86 - '94, Petrucci and Moore were the clear creative leaders, with occasional input form Portnoy, Myung, Dominici and LaBrie.  

You do realize that that only refers to lyrics, right?  Just because he didn't write a lot of lyrics in the early days doesn't mean his musical input was also minimal.

I won't dispute a lot of the other stuff you said, but you have to give credit where credit's due.

Offline LTE777

« Reply #86 on: December 21, 2010, 03:54:17 PM »
I for one am just happy that this event stopped DT from become even more of a one-man show, which it was slowly descending into. I was really getting tired of hearing lyrics about MP this, MP that, alcohol here, stepfather there. Thing is, had he abstracted those lyrics more I wouldn't have minded so much, but I always had the impression that every piece of lyrics was smushed in my face, that every single problem of Mike I really needed to know. Reality is, Mike never struck me as a particularly interesting person. Resourceful yes, industrious yes. Interesting in the sense that I wanted to know more about the person? Not really.
I am very much looking forward to hearing more from the other guys. Especially Jordan. The guy needs to talk more, with a pen.

rumborak

On a positive note, I nominate rumborak as "Poster of the year", I dont think there is an instance where you have said something that I dont agree with or puts things into a persepective that i didnt think about before. Always interested in what you have to contribute!  Good stuff!

The main thing I am excited about it that I think JM and JR wont be afraid to start writing their own music and lyrics to contribute to the new album and it will be a collaborative effort the way a band should be...we all had a feeling something had to give sooner or later so im glad the band is standing their ground!

Online Adami

« Reply #87 on: December 21, 2010, 03:54:29 PM »

Which can contribute to what has rendered the two last albums not that great

Eh, lots of things contributed to their drop in quality. Not just Myung.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline The Dark Master

« Reply #88 on: December 21, 2010, 03:57:21 PM »
 Prior to Falling Into Infinity, Portnoy wrote only two songs; A Change of Seasons and The Mirror; that was it.  Oh, and I believe he wrote the "rap" part of Take The Time.  But from '86 - '94, Petrucci and Moore were the clear creative leaders, with occasional input form Portnoy, Myung, Dominici and LaBrie.  

You do realize that that only refers to lyrics, right?  Just because he didn't write a lot of lyrics in the early days doesn't mean his musical input was also minimal.

I won't dispute a lot of the other stuff you said, but you have to give credit where credit's due.

I give credit to his drumming ability and the contributions he has made, but he certainly was not the band's creative director before SFAM, and to hear him claim that he "lead the band for a quarter of a century" when in reality he was only the actual leader for a little over a decade is annoying, to say the least.

Online Adami

« Reply #89 on: December 21, 2010, 03:59:30 PM »

I give credit to his drumming ability and the contributions he has made, but he certainly was not the band's creative director before SFAM, and to hear him claim that he "lead the band for a quarter of a century" when in reality he was only the actual leader for a little over a decade is annoying, to say the least.

There is a very large possibilty that Portnoy wasn't talking about anything musical when he mentioned leading the band.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #90 on: December 21, 2010, 04:00:02 PM »
He never once claimed to be the creative leader, you're putting words in his mouth now.

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #91 on: December 21, 2010, 04:02:06 PM »
I don't think anyone has ever called him THE creative director prior to SFAM, but to act like he had minimal musical input is probably pretty silly.

Offline The Dark Master

« Reply #92 on: December 21, 2010, 04:03:40 PM »
When he says that he led the band for 25 years, even though it is very well documented that he was not a leader of any kind prior to Falling Into Infinity at the earliest, I become a bit irritated.

Online Adami

« Reply #93 on: December 21, 2010, 04:05:21 PM »
When he says that he led the band for 25 years, even though it is very well documented that he was not a leader of any kind prior to Falling Into Infinity at the earliest, I become a bit irritated.

Maybe before every show he held a sword and yelled "FOR THE QUEEN!!!!!!!!!!!"

That counts as leading of sorts, right?
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #94 on: December 21, 2010, 04:05:38 PM »
I think he definitely overstates it to an extent, but I am just saying that to act like his musical input prior to 1999 was limited probably is not correct.  

It's funny because when I first saw the Tokyo and 5YIAL videos (prior to me knowing what the internet was :lol), if you said to me, "Who is the leader of the band," I would have had no idea.  But once the SFAM one came out, it was pretty obvious.

Offline The Dark Master

« Reply #95 on: December 21, 2010, 04:09:52 PM »
I think he definitely overstates it to an extent, but I am just saying that to act like his musical input prior to 1999 was limited probably is not correct.  

It's funny because when I first saw the Tokyo and 5YIAL videos (prior to me knowing what the internet was :lol), if you said to me, "Who is the leader of the band," I would have had no idea.  But once the SFAM one came out, it was pretty obvious.

That is more or less what I am getting at here.  I'm sure MP wrote a lot of the actual music prior to SFAM, but he was writing with the other 3 instrumentalists, and he certainly was not the band's "Director" at that point in time. Starting with SFAM, it became obvious who was in control of the band, but before that, there is scant evidence that Mike was such a huge singular influence.  I do remember in Lifting Shadows Myung saying something about how even back an Berklee, JP and MP were always the ones behind the 4-track; but that was before Kevin joined the band.  Perhaps that is what changed; In the beginning it was Petrucci, Moore, and Portnoy controlling the band's direction, but when Moore left, it became just Petrucci and Portnoy.
« Last Edit: December 21, 2010, 04:18:23 PM by The Dark Master »

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #96 on: December 21, 2010, 04:12:49 PM »
Dark Master, the point we are making is that is a world of difference between a creative leader and a logistic leader. Yes maybe he overstates it somewhat, but based on the personalities of the members it wouldn't surprise me at all if he took on most of the practical and logistical duties right from the start.

He never claimed to be the creative leader, and I doubt he ever would.

I be am boner inducing.

Offline The Dark Master

« Reply #97 on: December 21, 2010, 04:16:00 PM »
Dark Master, the point we are making is that is a world of difference between a creative leader and a logistic leader. Yes maybe he overstates it somewhat, but based on the personalities of the members it wouldn't surprise me at all if he took on most of the practical and logistical duties right from the start.

He never claimed to be the creative leader, and I doubt he ever would.

Fair enough, I will agree to that, but I simply want to point out that he wasn't even the main logistics leader prior to 1999, despite his claims to have lead the band for 25 years.

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #98 on: December 21, 2010, 04:19:15 PM »
Well, that's something that none of us know anything about. Like I said, it wouldn't surprise me based on everything we know about the members, but as it's not entirely clear which is why I think it's a bit of an exaggeration. But not that much; I think you're making way too big a deal about it.

I be am boner inducing.

Offline The Dark Master

« Reply #99 on: December 21, 2010, 04:21:49 PM »
Well, that's something that none of us know anything about. Like I said, it wouldn't surprise me based on everything we know about the members, but as it's not entirely clear which is why I think it's a bit of an exaggeration. But not that much; I think you're making way too big a deal about it.

Perhaps, I apologize if I stepped out of line, but I have always resented the way he acts like it is "his" band when there are 4 other members.

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #100 on: December 21, 2010, 04:26:26 PM »
You weren't being out of line as such, I just think you're getting a bit caught up on semantics. But I think we can all agree that MP exaggerates these things quite often.

I be am boner inducing.

Offline Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
« Reply #101 on: December 21, 2010, 04:29:07 PM »
He may have not lead the band all 25 years, but he has probably been most responsible for the success of DT today. All of the official bootlegs, dvds, etc were all Mike. I still don't know how I feel about this whole situation. I for one am very sad Mike is gone, even with everything that has recently gone down. I'm more skeptical than excited about the future of DT, the live shows will never be the same.

Offline The Dark Master

« Reply #102 on: December 21, 2010, 04:32:06 PM »
He may have not lead the band all 25 years, but he has probably been most responsible for the success of DT today. All of the official bootlegs, dvds, etc were all Mike. I still don't know how I feel about this whole situation. I for one am very sad Mike is gone, even with everything that has recently gone down. I'm more skeptical than excited about the future of DT, the live shows will never be the same.

Agreed.  I think it is a mixed blessing of sorts.  The band will probably sound fresh and revitalized on the next album, but their live shows may not be as good, and I am very concerned over the future of ytsejam records.

Online Adami

« Reply #103 on: December 21, 2010, 04:33:55 PM »
Speaking of their stage presence on the next tour, I have an idea to help make JM more lively without having him really change a lot.

You ready?

A trampoline.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline Silver Tears

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #104 on: December 21, 2010, 04:35:40 PM »
Portnoy certainly had the most stage presence of the five. But who knows, maybe the others will step up a bit more now.