Author Topic: This ever happen to anyone at a concert?  (Read 2609 times)

Offline 73109

• DTF.org Member
This ever happen to anyone at a concert?
« on: December 18, 2010, 09:59:24 AM »
Alright, so, last night, I went with my mom and step dad to go see some guy Prince and this dude Prince had a normal encore like everyone does and after the encore, the lights were still off and then all of a sudden, the house lights come on. Half the people leave the venue and this dude Prince comes back on in like 5 minutes for another 25 minutes of music. Even if it is only some guy Prince that is awesome and I have never seen someone do it before. Have you guys?

Offline skydivingninja

• DTF.org Alumni
Re: This ever happen to anyone at a concert?
« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2010, 12:06:19 PM »
Yes, when I saw the Eagles.  They had 7 encores, but apparently Eagles fans aren't as stupid as Prince fans, because everyone stayed until the house lights came on, like they were supposed to.

Offline 73109

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2010, 12:08:04 PM »
The house lights did come on...that was the point. They came on. It looked like it was over and he come on 5 minutes later.

Offline skydivingninja

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2010, 12:13:56 PM »
Ah.  I don't know then.  How was Prince?

Offline 73109

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #4 on: December 18, 2010, 12:16:00 PM »
Surprisingly cool. I dug the funky songs and the slow ballady stuff was alright. The crowd was one of the best I have ever been at. Even my step dad noted "I have not seen a crowd go this nuts with the exception of Slayer!" Purple Rain was fucking electric and he is 10x the guitarist I thought he was. He has tons of soul. I enjoyed myself.

Offline ReaperKK

• Sweeter After Difficulty
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5 on: December 18, 2010, 12:18:12 PM »
Surprisingly cool. I dug the funky songs and the slow ballady stuff was alright. The crowd was one of the best I have ever been at. Even my step dad noted "I have not seen a crowd go this nuts with the exception of Slayer!" Purple Rain was fucking electric and he is 10x the guitarist I thought he was. He has tons of soul. I enjoyed myself.

I've always wanted to see Prince, he is a phenomenal musician.

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #6 on: December 18, 2010, 12:18:50 PM »
Are you saying that you've never heard of Prince until now? Please be joking. I'm not a fan, but how can you not know who he is?

Offline orcus116

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #7 on: December 18, 2010, 12:19:00 PM »
I usually wait till I see roadies start breaking stuff down before I leave.

Offline 73109

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #8 on: December 18, 2010, 12:20:50 PM »
Are you saying that you've never heard of Prince until now? Please be joking. I'm not a fan, but how can you not know who he is?

Uh...I have heard of Prince brosef. I just saw him last night. :lol

Yeah. There were 2 things that gave it away:

1. The security dude kept saying "I don't want to speculate or get anyones hopes up but they said he'd play to 11:15" It was like a quarter to 11 at the time.

2. The light guys were still up there.

Offline darkshade

« Reply #9 on: December 18, 2010, 12:22:48 PM »

Offline Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #10 on: December 18, 2010, 12:23:37 PM »
You've never heard of the artist formerly known as Prince before that show.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline 73109

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #11 on: December 18, 2010, 12:26:56 PM »
Oh no. I have. But not a lot. I knew some hits but not many and he never really showed his guitar skills in the songs. It took me seeing him to really see how great of a guitarist he is.

Offline contest_sanity

« Reply #12 on: December 18, 2010, 03:04:24 PM »
I knew some hits but not many and he never really showed his guitar skills in the songs.
What about "When Doves Cry?"  The guitar in that song is sick.

Offline 73109

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #13 on: December 18, 2010, 03:31:54 PM »
Like I said, I know some hits. I really went just because my mom and step dad wanted to go and I heard he could play some geetar and he is a legend. It would be like asking me if I wanted to go see...Michael Jackson if he was alive. Or Elvis. Not all that into the music but just to be into the dudes presence is wicked. And trust me, he is a hell of a showman. I don't know what it is about them black folk but they can rock. I have seen Earth, Wind, and Fire twice and I just saw Prince and they rock your ass off every show.

Offline Jakartabassplayer

• John Cleese's evil step brother
  • "THEY just drop"
« Reply #14 on: December 18, 2010, 03:45:53 PM »
Kipfilet is het borstdeel van de kip. Kenmerk van kipfilet is dat deze vetarm en lichtverteerbaar is.
I assume it's because you're awesome.
And JBP is yet again drunk  :lol

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
« Reply #15 on: December 18, 2010, 03:46:21 PM »
This was a routine thing at Kinks shows.  At their farewell show, they did it three times in the middle of seven encores.  The hardcore fans knew the show wasn't over yet because they had yet to play Lola, which ended up being the second to last song of the set.  It was going to be the last song, but a lady in the front row handed a paper plate with "Days" written on it to Ray Davies, and him and Dave played an acoustic version of that song, a classy way to say goodbye to fans who had watched them for the better part of thirty years.  One of the finest moments at a show for me.

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #16 on: December 18, 2010, 04:13:19 PM »
I've never felt the urge to see a Prince concert, but I know the guy is an amazing musician and showman, so I'm not surprised that he puts on a hell of a show.  I pretty much thought that was common knowledge, and it's kinda funny how you seemed hesitant to even say his name here.

It is weird that part of his show includes "fooling" the audience into thinking that it's over, even letting people leave, then coming out and doing some more songs.  I'm not sure what the point would be of doing that.  The only thing I can think of is that he wants to give the "real fans" (those who know the show isn't really over yet) something more.

Offline Sigz

• BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD
  • DTF.org Member
  • THRONES FOR THE THRONE SKULL
« Reply #17 on: December 18, 2010, 04:16:35 PM »
It is weird that part of his show includes "fooling" the audience into thinking that it's over, even letting people leave, then coming out and doing some more songs.  I'm not sure what the point would be of doing that.  The only thing I can think of is that he wants to give the "real fans" (those who know the show isn't really over yet) something more.

It's possible someone flipped the house lights on thinking he was done after the first encore.
The world is a stage, but the play is badly cast.

Online El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #18 on: December 18, 2010, 05:15:33 PM »
If I don't already know what the setlist is, I'll wait until roadies are tearing stuff down. 
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline 73109

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #19 on: December 18, 2010, 05:23:21 PM »
This was a routine thing at Kinks shows.  At their farewell show, they did it three times in the middle of seven encores.  The hardcore fans knew the show wasn't over yet because they had yet to play Lola, which ended up being the second to last song of the set.  It was going to be the last song, but a lady in the front row handed a paper plate with "Days" written on it to Ray Davies, and him and Dave played an acoustic version of that song, a classy way to say goodbye to fans who had watched them for the better part of thirty years.  One of the finest moments at a show for me.

That had to be awesome. I love Lola! Quick question? When was that? I saw Ray Davies play with Metallica for song 2 songs at the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame 25th anniversary concert and it was awesome. I could tell he had to be a sick front man in his heyday.

It's possible someone flipped the house lights on thinking he was done after the first encore.

Nah. You could tell it was staged. I really couldn't explain how but you just could.

Hell, I was happy about it. There were 4 preppy douches in front of us and they were some of the ass holes that left. Glad to have gotten rid of them.

Offline Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
« Reply #20 on: December 18, 2010, 05:24:34 PM »
I was at a Goo Goo Dolls concert and they came back on 3 times after house lights came on. The venue eventually cut the power to the stage to get them off.

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #21 on: December 18, 2010, 10:08:21 PM »
The one and only time I saw Frank Zappa, it was at a concert during which some asshole threw a whiskey bottle at the stage.  The guy was kicked out, but later, when the end of the show came, I swear the last chord of the last song was still echoing in the place when the house lights came up, and we did not get an encore.  Show was over.