Author Topic: VENGED SEVENFOLD Singer: PORTNOY Was Too 'Press Release-Happy' Regarding DREAM T  (Read 2434 times)

Offline cygnusaz

VENGED SEVENFOLD Singer: PORTNOY Was Too 'Press Release-Happy' Regarding DREAM THEATER Split - Dec. 17, 2010

AVENGED SEVENFOLD frontman M. Shadows told The Pulse Of Radio that the band was not happy about the public way in which drummer Mike Portnoy's split with his former group DREAM THEATER was played out, which may have soured Portnoy's relationship with AVENGED, ultimately causing his departure from the Orange County, California-based act. "We were actually a little more shocked," M. Shadows said. "We felt that maybe both parties could have handled it a little more internally without being so press release-happy about what had happened between them. Because we're a band that, really, when it comes to news all over web sites or this or that about bands, you know, we don't tweet much, we don't try to put ourselves out that much, and all the drama and controversy wasn't something that we wanted at all."

M. Shadows talking to The Pulse Of Radio about DREAM THEATER / Mike Portnoy drama (audio):

Portnoy recorded the drum parts for AVENGED SEVENFOLD's latest album, "Nightmare", and toured with them for much of 2010 following the death last December of AVENGED drummer James "The Rev" Sullivan.

Although AVENGED SEVENFOLD did not immediately issue a statement regarding Mike's split with the group, Portnoy broke the news himself yesterday (Thursday, December 16) on Facebook, writing, "Sadly my time with AVENGED SEVENFOLD has come to an end...The band has decided to carry on into 2011 without me ...I had a great time with them throughout 2010, but it was their choice to end the relationship at the end of 2010 as was always the initial plan..."

Portnoy added, "I am proud to always be part of the AVENGED SEVENFOLD family and history. I also adore the AVENGED SEVENFOLD fans and totally appreciate the way they welcomed me aboard and were so loving and supportive during my time with the band...thank you!"

Portnoy left his band of 25 years, DREAM THEATER, this past summer, although he said his stint with AVENGED SEVENFOLD had nothing to do with it.

AVENGED SEVENFOLD is slated to hit the road in the U.S. next month as part of the "Nightmare After Christmas" tour, along with STONE SOUR and HOLLYWOOD UNDEAD. There is no word yet on whether the band will remain on that tour and enlist a new drummer.

James Sullivan, AVENGED SEVENFOLD's founding drummer, was found dead in his California home last December 28 of a fatal mixture of drugs and alcohol.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
Thanks, but wrong forum.  And we already have this exact topic in the correct one.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."