Author Topic: ariich's Song Roulette - all done  (Read 52488 times)

Offline Portrucci

• Fission Mailed
  • You're just another hero riding through the night
Re: ariich's Song Roulette - thoughts 6b: Buckethead, Alice in Chains, Neu!
« Reply #350 on: March 23, 2011, 10:01:48 PM »
Neu! (Portrucci)
When I first decided to start listening to some full albums by Neu!, I was a little apprehensive. The song you sent me I kind of enjoyed, but the fact that it was all based around a single chord was a little inaccessible and made it hard to get all the way through. I’m happy to say that my fears were completely unnecessary – sure there are moments where things drag on and get less interesting, but that is ultimately in the nature of music that is largely improvisational. But other than the occasional dull section, the band created a great sound and had a lot of very cool ideas, and actually I thoroughly enjoyed the majority of both albums I listened to. Maybe not for every day listening, but completely unlike anything else in my music collection, so it fills a niche!
Neu! [1972] – 7/10
Neu! 2 [1973] – 7/10
Wow! Never thought you'd give them a 7  :laugh: but their best album is actually Neu 75! (infact, it might be my favourite album of all time..or top 2!  :)). You'd definitely like it more than those other 2 albums (which are probably more experimental). Better production, better arrangments, more piano  :) :) do try it!

Oh and also, about Crippled Black Phoenix, I've just been listening to their 2009 LP 200 Tons of Bad Luck and it's excellent! If you liked I, Vigilante also check this one out!
« Last Edit: March 24, 2011, 04:59:32 AM by Portrucci »
on par with the anguish one would have from getting unconsensually bent over and buttloved.

Online ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #351 on: March 24, 2011, 08:05:01 AM »
You just need to stop failing.
lol irony

Wow! Never thought you'd give them a 7  :laugh: but their best album is actually Neu 75! (infact, it might be my favourite album of all time..or top 2!  :)). You'd definitely like it more than those other 2 albums (which are probably more experimental). Better production, better arrangments, more piano  :) :) do try it!
Awesome, I look forward to checking it out! :)

Oh and also, about Crippled Black Phoenix, I've just been listening to their 2009 LP 200 Tons of Bad Luck and it's excellent! If you liked I, Vigilante also check this one out!
Schweet, I'll do that thing. Gonna try and check out all their stuff at some point, I like I, Vigilante so much!

Ryan and Justin, cheers for the recommendations, I'll start with the albums that you both recommended and go from there.

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Offline jsem

« Reply #352 on: March 24, 2011, 08:46:38 AM »
So, you like the guitar playing, and you like Crime Slunk Scene. But Colma is underproduced...

Alright, first off, I'm calling sacrilege on the Colma comment. That album is godly through and through. On a happier note, you are going to absolutely adore Buckethead's modern material. Check out Captain EO's Voyage, Shadows Between the Sky, Real Diamond in the Rough, and for the heavier side, Albino Slug is all you will ever need (but Pepper's Ghost is a good choice as well).
UMH is 100% correct.

Colma is godly.

Online ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
Heavy bands and artists from the Semi-finals:

Intronaut (DTVT)
I’ve only been able to listen to their latest album, but it’s a really good record! They have a very interesting style – it’s never that heavy but it’s never that melodic either, which makes it very interesting and, while unusual, fairly accessible. I’m not sure I agree with the BTBAM comparison; those guys take it to the opposite extremes a lot more while Intronaut mostly take the middle ground. It does mean the music is ever so slightly less dynamic or exciting, but also makes it easier to listen to, if that makes sense. Is it worth putting the effort in to check out their older albums?
Valley of Smoke [2010] – 7/10

Protest the Hero (antigoon)
When Joe sent me a song in the roulette, he described it as “the most ADD thing” in his collection, and I don’t think there’s a more fitting description of this band. Somehow they craft a consistent style from a mish-mash of a million different ideas, and it works! The result is something that is at times heavy and chaotic, and at others anthemic and even cheesy, which makes the music incredibly fun and enjoyable. Kezia gets a slightly lower rating than the others but only because I don’t find the choruses as epic or exciting, but that might change over time.
Kezia [2006] – 7/10
Fortress [2008] – 8/10
Scurrilous [2011] – 8/10

God is an Astronaut (Voxyn)
Another addition to my list of favourite post-rock bands, possibly even edging out This Will Destroy You who only reached that spot a few rounds ago! :P This is amazing stuff – it is atmospheric and has all the peaks and troughs and climaxes that you would expect from post-rock, but with so much more energy than anything else I’ve heard in the genre. I still hold that they didn’t really belong in the “heavy songs” part of this round, which was why you didn’t reach the final, but I no longer care. Their self-titled in particular is such a fantastic album, with the real standout track for me being Snowfall! Incredible stuff.
All is Violent, All is Bright [2005] – 8/10
God is an Astronaut [2008] – 9/10

Between the Buried and Me (orcus)
In contrast to the ADD of Protest the Hero, this is schizophrenic. Ok a lot of it is heavy (although less so with the latest album), but there are some outright bizarre sections thrown in at times. It’s like “RORORORORORORORORO and now for some light jazz”. :lol But that’s what makes it so exciting; I don’t generally go for full-on hardcore bands as I tend to find them too intense, and indeed at times BTBAM are a little too much for me, but the mix of styles and ideas that they incorporate makes the music incredibly exciting, and the fact that they’ll happily go through some very melodic sections means that after a while the music becomes surprisingly accessible, more so with each album. I wasn’t sure I’d ever really get into BTBAM, but I’m pleased that I was wrong!
Alaska [2005] – 7/10
Colors [2007] – 8/10
The Great Misdirect [2009] – 9/10

I be am boner inducing.

Offline zxlkho

• Official Dream Theater Hater.
  • DTF.org Member
PTH IS AWESOME! :D
I AM A GUY
You're a fucking stupid bitch.
Orion....that's the one with a bunch of power chords and boringly harsh vocals, isn't it?

Offline Dr. DTVT

• DTF's resident Mad Scientist
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • What's your favorite planet? Mine's the Sun!
Valley of Smoke is Intronaut's best album by far according to people who's opinions I trust.  I haven't heard other albums.

You need to listen to Colors more.  Sun of Nothing, Ants In the Sky, and White Walls are all better than my favorite song on TGM.  Not that TGM is a bad album, Colors is just too amazing.

Offline AcidLameLTE

• Nae deal pal
  • DTF.org Alumni
RICH, RICH, RICH!

First, you gave Scurrilous and Fortress more points than Kezia and then you give The Great Misdirect more points that Alaska and Colors! WHAT THE HELL?!

Offline Sigz

• BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD
  • DTF.org Member
  • THRONES FOR THE THRONE SKULL
Prehistoricisms is pretty awesome, a bit heavier than Valley of Smoke too.
The world is a stage, but the play is badly cast.

Online ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
Valley of Smoke is Intronaut's best album by far according to people who's opinions I trust.  I haven't heard other albums.
Hmm, ok might just wait for new stuff from them then. :lol Although if Ian likes Prehistoricisms then I might see if it's on Grooveshark.

You need to listen to Colors more.  Sun of Nothing, Ants In the Sky, and White Walls are all better than my favorite song on TGM.  Not that TGM is a bad album, Colors is just too amazing.
Don't get me wrong, the high points on Colors are probably their best stuff, particularly those songs you mentioned, and also Viridian and the opening track. Same goes for Selkies and Medicine Wheel (if I remember rightly) on Alaska. But the rest doesn't do as much for me, bar some moments here and there. TGM doesn't have quite the same highs, but it's consistently good all the way through and still has some really excellent moments.

RICH, RICH, RICH!

First, you gave Scurrilous and Fortress more points than Kezia and then you give The Great Misdirect more points that Alaska and Colors! WHAT THE HELL?!
For a start, I'm a new fan rather than a trve cvlt one, and can therefore actually judge all the albums on equal terms. I can see why someone who has listened to PTH for ages would be initially surprised at the reduced level of harsh vocals, and same for BTBAM really (plus there's the fact that I'm not that much into all-out heavy music), but I love the style on both bands' latest albums.

And besides, different strokes for different folks.

I be am boner inducing.

Offline AcidLameLTE

• Nae deal pal
  • DTF.org Alumni
I don't think I've ever said anything about the reduction in harsh vocals any where on this board so I don't know where you're getting that from :lol

Rich, don't be so silly, music is an objective thing and you are just damn wrong.

Online ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
I didn't mean that in relation to you specifically, but that seems to be the main complaint about the new album in the PTH thread. :P

You're right though, I should learn to accept that you are right and I am wrong. :neverusethis:

I be am boner inducing.

Online Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
  • Bouncing around the room
Great to see some love for some awesome bands. :)
I got into BTBAM fairly recently as well (beginning of this year), and the three albums you listed are the only three I know this far, and my opinions on them are fairly samey as yours.
Colors has the highest highs, though TGM really is great all the way through, and ranking them against each other would be a hard thing.

Online ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
Yeah initially I had TGM on the same level as Colors, but after a few listens it really started to click and I realised that was some really great stuff in there as well, which added with the consistency throughout the record really gave me a hugh appreciation for it.

Of course the same could happen with Colors; the more I get used to the really heavy stuff, the more I'll probably like the album overall. When it comes down to it, those ratings are only from a couple of weeks of listening, so they're only provisional really.

I be am boner inducing.

Offline bodiesinflight

• I prefer drone
Struggling with the concept that anyone could prefer GIAA's s/t to All Is Violent, All Is Bright
Drowned in Sound
Echoes & Dust
Stereoboard

Offline TheVoxyn

• "The X makes it sound cool"
  • DTF.org Alumni
I enjoy both of them a lot. Glad to read that you love them so much Ariich  :hat.

Online ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
Soft bands and artists from the Semi-finals:

Neko Case (antigoon)
Gotta say, I really love her latest album (which you sent a song from) and have done from the very first listen. I guess I’d describe her as a folky singer-songwriter, but that just doesn’t do her justice, and there’s so much more to this album. She has a lovely voice, and the music is great; very diverse and engaging, but always pleasant and enjoyable. I’ve also been listening to one of her other albums, which is also very good but not really as exciting – bit more straightforward I guess. But that doesn’t mean I don’t like it, far from it, it’s just that I like the new one so much! Gonna check out her other albums at some point as well I think.
Fox Confessor Brings the Flood [2006] – 7/10
Middle Cyclone [2009] – 9/10

Vonassi (DTVT)
Well, I said during the roulette that I liked the song you sent but wasn’t thrilled enough to go out and buy the album without hearing it first. Well I changed my mind as the digital download on Play.com was only £7 so I figured I’d take the risk, and I’m glad I did because this is a really good and very promising debut! They definitely a straightforward old school prog tinged with hard rock thing going on, reminding me a little of Spock’s Beard at times. Not every song is killer, but there are a few really good ones (for example Gini is really nice, and my favourites are probably the opener and the title track) and the rest are solid. I really like the vocalist as well. I hope they do well enough with this album to make another, because I see a lot of promise in them!
The Battle of Ego [2010] – 7/10 – (bought on digital download)

The Beta Band (orcus)
These guys are really interesting! I find them a bit inconsistent, but their good stuff really is fantastic. Been mostly listening to the 3EPs compilation, and Dry The Rain is, admittedly, probably the best thing on there, but some of the others are really top-notch as well (She’s The One was one that stuck out). Just a really nice vibe with a small amount of experimentation! Overall I find there to be a couple of songs that drag things down though, particularly Monolith which just seems to drag on for 15 minutes. I’ve also been listening to their last album, and I find a similar problem, although it’s the other way round there – the album starts weak but really picks up with the third track, and is then pretty up and down for the rest. Still, I can always just make a playlist of the songs I like!
The Three EPs [1998] – 7/10
Heroes to Zeroes [2004] – 7/10

Jason Molina (Voxyn)
This guy’s music is really nice, but I have to be honest, it doesn’t do a huge amount for me. I think it’s because every song is pretty similar and the vibe all the way through (while very pleasant and chilled) doesn’t really change. That said, I’ve been listening to both his albums and the first I’ve come to like quite a lot, particularly as background music if I’m trying to work. The newer album is still decent, but I just find it wafts by unnoticed for the most part. Ah well, can’t win everything!
Pyramid Electric Co. [2004] – 7/10
Let Me Go, Let Me Go, Let Me Go [2006] – 6/10

I be am boner inducing.

Offline Dr. DTVT

• DTF's resident Mad Scientist
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • What's your favorite planet? Mine's the Sun!
Glad you were willing to check them out.  I too see a lot of potential in Vonassi as well.  Supposedly they are working on their second album.

Online ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
Re: ariich's Song Roulette - all done.
« Reply #367 on: May 10, 2011, 03:11:10 AM »
Bands from the final:

Ok so I wasn't sure if I'd bother with this as I wrote about full albums for the roulette itself, but over the last couple of months I've been really getting into both bands, so I figured what the hell, I may as well post an udpate and round off this whole thing. :)

Neutral Milk Hotel (orcus)
Aeroplane is still such an amazing album and actually continues to grow on me, and I got to the point where I was listening so often that I figured I might as well just buy it rather than constantly listening on Spotify. I've also been listening to their other album, and it's also excellent, has the same kind of rawness to it that actually makes it very powerful. It's not quite as coherent and doesn't have such high highs, but it's also a great album. I'm so glad you introduced me to them, there's a really intense emotion in the music and a unique style that's pretty unlike anything else in my collection!
On Avery Island [1996] - 8/10
In An Aeroplane Over The Sea [1998] - 9/10 - (Owned on CD)

Arcade Fire (antigoon)
So, at the time of the roulette I really liked Funeral but found it was dragged down just slightly by a couple of weaker songs. I guess that hasn't really changed, but the weaker songs are still good enough to contribute to a high-quality album overall. I checked out their other albums as well (had to buy them on digital download as they weren't on Spotify) and was possibly even more impressed by Neon Bible! The quality is on a part with Funeral, but with a little more consistency and slicker sound. I'm really starting to like their style, it's unusual but very fresh and rather enjoyable, especially when they throw in the occasional epic song! Suburbs was a good album as well, although after a number of listens it doesn't grab me nearly as much as the other two.
Funeral [2004] - 8/10 - (bought on digital download)
Neon Bible [2007] - 8/10 - (bought on digital download)
The Suburbs [2010] - 7/10 - (bought on digital download)

And that, as they say, is it. I really enjoyed the roulette, and even a couple of months on I'm discovering how much I love some of the bands and artists that I've been introduced to, so thanks to everyone! Next I'm going to be doing a Top 50 Albums thread in a similar fashion to what Sigz has done (even though he's completely failed to finish it!) as I touted the idea on facebook chat and people seemed interested. I'll probably kick that off this weekend, I'm still trying to decide on what the order should be!

I be am boner inducing.

Offline Marvellous G

• I'm not sure on the avatar swearing policy...
Re: ariich's Song Roulette - all done
« Reply #368 on: May 10, 2011, 09:57:03 AM »
You'd only give Funeral 8/10?!

Other than that, I'd agree with all your ratings, other than the first NMH album which I haven't heard.

Offline Quadrochosis

• DTF.org Alumni
  • We Are Not Alone
Re: ariich's Song Roulette - all done
« Reply #369 on: May 10, 2011, 10:37:27 PM »
I'd rank the AF albums a bit better, but I'm glad they were one of the winning bands for you!
space cadet, pull out.
The only thing I enjoy more than Frengers is pleasing myself anally via the prostate.
"From my butt, I can see your house..."