Author Topic: ariich's Song Roulette - all done  (Read 52458 times)

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
Some Avant-garde shit this time! :metal
Hell yeah, that round had some pretty wacky stuff!

Right from when I first heard the song way back when we actually did that round, the first thing I thought was "I bet Gorille loves this band". I assume I am right. If I'm not, I'll eat my own face.

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Offline AcidLameLTE

• Nae deal pal
  • DTF.org Alumni
The Embryo's in Bloom and Experiments in Alchemy aren't really worth getting, to be honest. You'll find a lot of the tracks are re-recorded on the other two albums (which are much better). Experiments in Alchemy was self released (hence why the production is bad).

Anarchists of Good Taste and Committed to a Bright Future are MUCH better than those two. Adultery is my favourite though.

Also, Anarchists of Good Taste has Serj Tankian guest singing on the track called "Mushroom Cult".

Edit: I would also like to add that a lot of the songs that have been re-recorded have also been changed/improved.

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
The Embryo's in Bloom and Experiments in Alchemy aren't really worth getting, to be honest. You'll find a lot of the tracks are re-recorded on the other two albums (which are much better). Experiments in Alchemy was self released (hence why the production is bad).

Anarchists of Good Taste and Committed to a Bright Future are MUCH better than those two. Adultery is my favourite though.

Also, Anarchists of Good Taste has Serj Tankian guest singing on the track called "Mushroom Cult".

Edit: I would also like to add that a lot of the songs that have been re-recorded have also been changed/improved.
Ok that's cool, yeah I like Adultery a ton, but I was wondering about the other two so I know how much effort I should put in to listen to them. :lol I'll see if they're on Grooveshark.

I be am boner inducing.

Offline AcidLameLTE

• Nae deal pal
  • DTF.org Alumni
Glad you like them. They're one of my favourite bands :hat

So, feel like going to Baltimore with me to see their two reunion gigs in June? :neverusethis:

Offline zxlkho

• Official Dream Theater Hater.
  • DTF.org Member
You can stay at my house. :lol
I AM A GUY
You're a fucking stupid bitch.
Orion....that's the one with a bunch of power chords and boringly harsh vocals, isn't it?

Offline AcidLameLTE

• Nae deal pal
  • DTF.org Alumni
 :rollin

Offline antigoon

• Not Elvis
  • DT.net Veteran
  • This was a triumph.
Broken Bells is spectacular. And yeah, The Ghost Inside is groove city, usa.

Offline TheVoxyn

• "The X makes it sound cool"
  • DTF.org Alumni
I like these updates  :tup.

Offline Fluffy Lothario

Offline Ultimetalhead

• The Mighty Masturbator
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • .ay rof dab s'ti dna...
Fuck yes @ Dog Fashion Disco. They kick an immeasurable amount of ass.
Orion....that's the one with a bunch of power chords and boringly harsh vocals, isn't it?
LOOK AT THIS AWESOME SHIT AHHHHHH

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
So, feel like going to Baltimore with me to see their two reunion gigs in June? :neverusethis:
:lol There are very few bands that I'd travel that far to see. But if they're reuniting then hopefully they'll visit here someday.

And yeah, The Ghost Inside is groove city, usa.
It just makes me wanna dance! :D

I like these updates  :tup.
Cool, glad you're getting something out of them! I was keen to do them, so it's good to know that they're not just being ignored. :lol

yeah I like Adultery a ton
sigged.
Dammit! :rollin

I be am boner inducing.

Offline AcidLameLTE

• Nae deal pal
  • DTF.org Alumni
They're re-uniting for those two gigs :p

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
Bands and artists from round 2, part b:

Colonel Claypool's Bucket of Bernie Brains (orcus)
Well, these guys are certainly a mixed bag. I checked out their only studio album and it was an enjoyable listen, but I find there to be a bit of a lack of consistency in the quality. Some of the songs I really like, such as the one you sent (Scott Taylor), and especially the opening song, Buckethead. But then there are some tracks just didn’t hold my interest at all. That said, the playing throughout is great, Claypool’s bass is uber-groovy, and Buckethead is of course a beast on the guitar, so the jam sections are always enjoyable. Can’t see myself revisiting this album too often though.
The Big Eyeball in the Sky [2004] – 6/10

Skindred (zxlkho)
Reggae metal! :metal And not just that, but Welsh reggae metal! Definitely very enjoyable music, they really mix the sounds well and the singer has a really great voice. Only downside with this band is that the music gets a little samey after a while, so a whole album in one go is a bit much. Still, Roots Rock Riot was a very good listen, and their debut Babylon was also good even though it dragged slightly. Probably won’t listen to full albums that often, but I can see myself listening to a few songs quite regularly, as there’s nothing in my music collection that really sounds anything like them! :D Might check out their newer albums at some point as well.
Babylon [2002] – 6/10
Roots Rock Riot [2007] – 7/10

Flight of the Conchords (Voxyn)
Ahahaha, these guys are so great! I still hold that it was an unusual thing to submit in a song roulette, as their music isn’t all that exciting (obviously) but their comedy is top notch. I saw that they’ve released two albums, which is presumably songs from each of the two series, so I decided to check out the self-titled one, but did it by watching the videos for each song on youtube first. Fantastically funny stuff, some of them had me literally laughing out loud. Bret has a great voice, and Jemaine’s sense of comic timing is incredible. Can’t see myself listening to the music much (although listening once I’ve seen the vids was still very enjoyable), but I can see myself getting the DVDs!
Flight of the Conchords [2008] – 7/10

Bruno Spoerri (Portrucci)
What strange music this guy made! Obviously he made his music in the 70s and 80s, but the only disc I’ve been able to listen to is the compilation Glückskugel which came out in 2006. And I actually found it quite endearing; I like the way he sometimes experimented with incorporating real sounds (like drills) into the music. On the compilation album most of the songs were in a sort of electro-funk style, and are pleasant to listen to, so nice for a bit of background music, but I found it hard to really get much from it when paying any real attention.
Glückskugel [2006 compilation] – 5/10

I be am boner inducing.

Offline Gorille85

• DTF.org Member
Re: ariich's Song Roulette - thoughts 2b: Claypool's,Skindred,Conchords,B.Spoerri
« Reply #293 on: February 13, 2011, 11:51:06 AM »
Skindred is good fun! :)

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
Re: ariich's Song Roulette - thoughts 2b: Claypool's,Skindred,Conchords,B.Spoerri
« Reply #294 on: February 18, 2011, 12:30:32 PM »
Bands and artists from round 3, part a:

This Will Destroy You (orcus)
Holy crap, I think I have a new favourite post-rock album! The only album of theirs that is on Spotify is the Young Mountain EP, which I had a couple of listens to, and it was very good but nothing special. But then I had a listen through their self-titled full length debut on Grooveshark, and was floored. Obviously I heard the opening track when you sent it for the Roulette, but I was amazed to find that the quality stays that high all the way through the whole album. The textures and soundscapes are wonderful, there are some amazing climaxes, and just a really gorgeous, relaxed vibe all the time. According to RYM they’re recording a new album this year… :caffeine:
Young Mountain EP [2005] – 7/10
This Will Destroy You [2008] – 9/10

Mono & World's End Girlfriend (Voxyn)
These guys have come together to create a very good album. The way they use strings (for example solo cello lines) gives it a very natural feel, more so than a lot of post-rock. The music is really lovely throughout, but the one that brings it down just slightly is that it is very slow moving, almost too much so. I said when you sent in the song from it that as much as I loved it, I felt that not much happened, and that’s pretty much the case with the whole album. The final track is still lovely, and the middle one (Track 3) is really great as well, but the others don’t keep my attention so well and in general the album feels like it’s going on forever. It is perfect background music though because it really is beautiful, so I can see myself listening to it a lot while at work.
Palmless Prayer/Mass Murder Refrain [2005] – 7/10

Brad Mehldau (antigoon)
This was the only jazz I received throughout the entire Roulette, and I love it. The album Highway Rider (which you sent a song from) is so great; the use of a symphony orchestra is brilliant, and the style ranges from more traditional jazz to pretty epic and unusual stuff as well. What I really like most about the album, though, is how well it flows. It really does tell a story and takes the listener on a journey. Terrific stuff! I’ve also had a listen to the previous studio album he released with his Trio, and it’s good stuff, although not nearly as exciting. At some point I’m going to check out the album that he recorded with Renée Fleming, because she’s an amazing classical soprano and so it could be interesting!
House on Hill [2006] – 7/10
Highway Rider [2010] – 9/10

Ne Obliviscaris (zxlkho)
Wow, what can I say about this band. When I first listened to their demo (the only thing they’ve put out so far) I thought “yeah, pretty good, nothing special”, but after a few more listens I think this is a really excellent recording. This kind of melodic black metal can be hard to pull off convincingly, but they do a really good job of it. Unlike when I first heard one of the songs during the roulette, I don’t actually see much of an Agalloch resemblance – they have the focus on atmosphere while these guys have the focus on riffs and melodies. Different approach, but both equally good. The production on the demo is, understandably, weak, but I’m excited about further recordings from them.
The Aurora Veil [2007 demo] – 8/10

I be am boner inducing.

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
Dammit, that selection of artists all has really long names, was impossible to fit it into the thread title without having to abbreviate loads. :lol

I be am boner inducing.

Offline zxlkho

• Official Dream Theater Hater.
  • DTF.org Member
I AM A GUY
You're a fucking stupid bitch.

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
Rich, sign he petition! https://www.gopetition.com/petition/40983.html
Done! :tup

That would really suck if he gets sent home.

I be am boner inducing.

Offline antigoon

• Not Elvis
  • DT.net Veteran
  • This was a triumph.
I'm sooooo glad you liked the Mehldau, I almost didn't send it.

I'm checking out This Will Destroy You's S/T right now. I don't really like post-rock but this is pretty powerful stuff.

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
I'm sooooo glad you liked the Mehldau, I almost didn't send it.
I'm very glad you did; I love jazz but don't have much modern/recent stuff that isn't big band music, so this was a great addition to my listening! :)

I'm checking out This Will Destroy You's S/T right now. I don't really like post-rock but this is pretty powerful stuff.
Yeah it's amazing, such a great listen!

I be am boner inducing.

Offline TheVoxyn

• DTF.org Alumni
I usually listen to Worlds end.... as background music as well. It's absolutely perfect for studying :p.

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
Bands and artists from round 3, part b:

Superior (UMH)
Well, I liked the song you sent during the roulette but wasn’t really wowed by it, seemed maybe a little straightforward. However, after giving their first two albums a couple of listens, I really dig them! Yeah, fairly straightforward prog metal, but there’s a reasonable amount of variety in their music, and they have a really good sense of melody. And there’s definitely enough in their music that is unique enough to stop them sounding like a DT-clone. Shame they’re not around anymore, but at least I still have their one other album to check out as well!
Behind [1996] – 7/10
Younique [1998] – 7/10

Modest Mouse (sonata)
I really like these guys! They didn’t have the album with Trucker’s Atlas on it on Spotify (where I do a lot of my listening) but I managed to get a listen on Grooveshark – it’s a pretty good album, some nice stuff on it. But since you first submitted the song during the roulette, I’ve been using Spotify to check out some of their more recent albums, and I love Good News for People Who Love Bad News in particular. Some of the songs have that same indie-ish feel that is very prominent in the earlier stuff I heard, but there’s also a nice bit of variety, and some quite unexpected and brilliant songs, like Bukowski which I just love! Top-notch stuff, and I’m fairly sure there’s still a couple more albums of theirs that I need to check out as well.
The Lonesome Crowded West [1997] – 7/10
Good News for People Who Love Bad News [2004] – 8/10
We Were Dead Before the Ship Even Sank [2007] – 7/10

Can (Portrucci)
This is really my introduction the Krautrock, and so far my reactions are a little mixed. I quite like the music, and I really love how experimental some of their stuff is, pretty ahead of its time in some ways. But in tone and sound, I do find it gets a little samey after a while, even though there’s actually a ton of diversity in the music itself. I think it’s probably the way it’s recorded and produced, and so I actually wonder if I might prefer their later (less popular but probably slicker sounding) albums. Interesting stuff anyway, and I think I’ll try and check out other albums of theirs, but I’ll keep it spread out as I feel like this is a band I couldn’t listen to too much in one go.
Tago Mago [1971] – 6/10
Landed [1975] – 6/10

Power of Omens (DTVT)
Unfortunately I haven’t been able to check them out, as they’re not on Spotify, Grooveshark only has the song you sent (which was fairly good but didn’t really wow me), and I can’t find anywhere to buy either of their albums cheaply. I will admit I even scoped around for any digital downloads, but couldn’t find any! So, this has to go down as a N/A I’m afraid.

I be am boner inducing.

Offline TheVoxyn

• DTF.org Alumni
Was wondering this afternoon whether you were planning to update this sometime soon. Happy to see you did  :laugh:. This is almost more interesting than the roulette itself.

Offline Dr. DTVT

• DTF's resident Mad Scientist
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • What's your favorite planet? Mine's the Sun!
Yeah, unfortunately those two albums are out of any reasonable price range for most people.  I think its rediculous what people are asking for it.  It's out of print, but I can't imagine a buyer setting the market at $100.  More than likely one seller listed it for that, and others followed suit.

Offline Ultimetalhead

• The Mighty Masturbator
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • .ay rof dab s'ti dna...
Glad that the full Superior albums are to your liking. Behind is my personal favorite, with Ultima Ratio right behind it. UR is probably their most straightforward album, but the riffs are great, and the vocals are amazing, especially on Fallen.
LOOK AT THIS AWESOME SHIT AHHHHHH

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
Glad that the full Superior albums are to your liking. Behind is my personal favorite, with Ultima Ratio right behind it. UR is probably their most straightforward album, but the riffs are great, and the vocals are amazing, especially on Fallen.
Cool, haven't given that one a listen yet, so I'll be sure to check it out!

Was wondering this afternoon whether you were planning to update this sometime soon. Happy to see you did  :laugh:. This is almost more interesting than the roulette itself.
:lol Yeah took a bit longer this time. It's because at the moment I'm having to go away with work a lot, so don't have as much time to listen, especially to Grooveshark albums as streaming over mobile broadband doesn't really work.

Yeah, unfortunately those two albums are out of any reasonable price range for most people.  I think its rediculous what people are asking for it.  It's out of print, but I can't imagine a buyer setting the market at $100.  More than likely one seller listed it for that, and others followed suit.
Yeah the amazon and eBay listings here are all in the £50 or more region (which is what, $70-80 ish). Madness.

I be am boner inducing.

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
Bands and artists from round 4, part a:

Joanna Newsom (sonata)
So far I’ve only listened to Have One on Me, but seeing as it’s a three-disc album lasting over two hours, I feel I’m getting my fill of her music. :lol I love it, despite the album’s length, it somehow doesn’t get boring and there are a few songs in particular that are just wonderful (In California and Does Not Suffice come to mind). She has a great voice; she actually reminds me of a folkier Regina Spektor, especially when she does her “cutesy” voice in some of the songs, and with a similar kind of versatility of singing styles. I adore both the music and the lyrics as well – it’s intricate enough that you can pay close attention to it, but pleasant enough to just have on while doing something else. I’ll give her other albums a listen at some point.
Have One on Me [2010] – 9/10 - (bought on digital download)

Thrice (orcus)
Thrice are without a doubt my favourite of the bands that I’ve discovered through this roulette so far (haven’t checked out all the later ones in any detail yet). Just really amazing music in all regards. It is intelligent, diverse, dynamic, exciting, and contemporary yet not way-out. I already consider them one of my favourite bands, and I’ve only heard their most recent four albums so far so I still have more to discover, plus they’re working on a new album I believe. Funnily enough this is one of my shorter write-ups, because I just don’t know what else to say. This band are amazing.
Vheissu [2005] – 8/10
The Alchemy Index: Volume I & II - Fire & Water [2007] – 8/10 – (Owned on CD)
The Alchemy Index: Volume III & IV - Air & Earth [2008] – 9/10 – (Owned on CD)
Beggars [2010] – 10/10 – (Owned on CD)

Ben Folds (antigoon)
Another artist I’m really glad you introduced me to, because I’m really digging his brand of piano-led rock, and to be honest even though it’s pretty straightforward, it’s quite different to anything else in my collection. I’ve only listened to his first two solo albums so I have plenty more to check out (including his stuff with the Ben Folds Five), but there is so much great stuff on them. I particularly like Rockin’ the Suburbs, because of all the little stories he tells in the lyrics for each song. The title track is pretty out of place, but I can forgive it! :P
Rockin’ the Suburbs [2001] – 8/10
Songs for Silverman [2005] – 8/10

Enchant (DTVT)
Again this is a band who have lots of albums and so I haven’t had a chance to check that many of them out yet, but I’ve been listening to a couple of the ones you recommended since back when the round took place, and I really like them. J9/D10 is very good, although I wasn’t really wowed by it and while there are some great songs, I find it drags just a little. But Tug of War is an excellent album, it has a bit more diversity in the sound (which might just be the way it is produced but it keeps it sounding fresh) and it’s definitely helped by having such an awesome opening song – the riff keeps getting stuck in my head! Top-notch stuff.
Juggling 9 or Dropping 10 [2000] – 7/10
Tug of War [2003] – 8/10

I be am boner inducing.

Offline Sigz

• BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD
  • DTF.org Member
  • THRONES FOR THE THRONE SKULL
The world is a stage, but the play is badly cast.

Offline sonatafanica

• cocksucking maniac
  • DTF.org Member
  • ☠☠☠☠☠☠jesus take the wheel☠☠☠☠☠☠
I keep Joanna very close to my heart.

Offline Marvellous G

• I'm not sure on the avatar swearing policy...
Have One On Me is a brilliant, brilliant album.

Offline sonatafanica

• cocksucking maniac
  • DTF.org Member
  • ☠☠☠☠☠☠jesus take the wheel☠☠☠☠☠☠
It was one of those albums that I was waiting and waiting for the release and when it came out it just delivered and delivered.

Offline Marvellous G

• I'm not sure on the avatar swearing policy...
It was one of those albums that I was waiting and waiting for the release and when it came out it just delivered and delivered.

I'm just constantly astonished at the sheer volume of it; I can't comprehend somebody making THAT MUCH awesome music in only a few years.

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
Rich, have you checked out Ben Folds 5, "Whatever and Ever Amen"?  It's the best.  Love the harmonies.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
Thrice

YES

YES
:lol But seriously, they are just too damn awesome. The physical CDs of the Alchemy Index only arrived today, so I gave them another couple of listens... considering upgrading Vol III & IV to a 10/10 as well, so much great music!

I'm just constantly astonished at the sheer volume of it; I can't comprehend somebody making THAT MUCH awesome music in only a few years.
Yeah I was a bit apprehensive about it being such a long album, but it really works!

Rich, have you checked out Ben Folds 5, "Whatever and Ever Amen"?  It's the best.  Love the harmonies.
Nah haven't heard any of the BF5 yet, that's on my to do list.

I be am boner inducing.