Author Topic: ariich's Song Roulette - all done  (Read 52487 times)

Online ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
Re: ariich's Song Roulette - Final results on Page 7!
« Reply #245 on: January 28, 2011, 05:01:17 PM »
I say "two most indie albums ever" despite AF's mainstream success because of the way sites like pitchfork and the music section of that-site-that-can't-be-named-because-they-have-boobies-everywhere treat those albums like God's gift to indie/hipsterkind.
Ah ok, yeah they do seem massively hyped up in indie circles.

Never could get into NMH.  Just nothing in that whole album appealed to me.
You have no soul.

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Offline skydivingninja

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #246 on: January 28, 2011, 05:08:51 PM »
Yeah I know.  I sold it to a magical space hobo to buy some green apple jelly beans.

Offline Ultimetalhead

• The Mighty Masturbator
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • .ay rof dab s'ti dna...
« Reply #247 on: January 28, 2011, 05:14:46 PM »
Good roulette indeed. Glad I got to expose you to Dog Fashion Disco and Floater.
Yeah those two really interested me (even though the Floater song didn't do so well points-wise). And don't forget Buckethead, Seventh Wonder and, to some extent, Superior!
Damn right. Be absolutely sure to explore Buckethead further. The man is a multi-faceted genius.
Orion....that's the one with a bunch of power chords and boringly harsh vocals, isn't it?
LOOK AT THIS AWESOME SHIT AHHHHHH

Online ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #248 on: January 28, 2011, 05:16:35 PM »
Yeah but there's JUST TOO MUCH STUFF! :lol The album with Soothsayer isn't on Spotify, but there's like 15 albums there are so plenty to check out.

I be am boner inducing.

Offline Ultimetalhead

• The Mighty Masturbator
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • .ay rof dab s'ti dna...
« Reply #249 on: January 28, 2011, 05:17:33 PM »
Yeah but there's JUST TOO MUCH STUFF! :lol The album with Soothsayer isn't on Spotify, but there's like 15 albums there are so plenty to check out.
Check out the official Buckethead thread to start your journey proper.  :metal
Orion....that's the one with a bunch of power chords and boringly harsh vocals, isn't it?
LOOK AT THIS AWESOME SHIT AHHHHHH

Offline zxlkho

• Official Dream Theater Hater.
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #250 on: January 28, 2011, 05:20:07 PM »
There's 30 albums bro. :lol
I AM A GUY
You're a fucking stupid bitch.

Online ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #251 on: January 28, 2011, 05:23:52 PM »
I meant just on Spotify (which I pay for the premium version of and so can sync albums up to my iPod!). Turns out there's only 9 albums on there, but that's probably still enough. :lol

I be am boner inducing.

Offline jsem

« Reply #252 on: January 29, 2011, 11:12:46 AM »
I meant just on Spotify (which I pay for the premium version of and so can sync albums up to my iPod!). Turns out there's only 9 albums on there, but that's probably still enough. :lol
Population override is on there.. what an album that is man. EPICNESS

Offline AcidLameLTE

• Nae deal pal
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #253 on: January 29, 2011, 11:18:44 AM »
Wait, you're from Sweden? I always thought you were American for some reason :lol

Offline jsem

« Reply #254 on: January 29, 2011, 11:19:30 AM »
Wait, you're from Sweden? I always thought you were American for some reason :lol
:facepalm:

Offline AcidLameLTE

• Nae deal pal
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #255 on: January 29, 2011, 11:21:12 AM »
Meh. I just assume that most people with good English are American on this message board, to be honest (unless I know otherwise).

Offline jsem

« Reply #256 on: January 29, 2011, 01:24:59 PM »
Meh. I just assume that most people with good English are American on this message board, to be honest (unless I know otherwise).
How do you find out otherwise?

Another thing... I haven't seen anyone with really bad english on these forums yet - but I definitely don't assume everyone has english as their native tounge because of that... :P

Offline AcidLameLTE

• Nae deal pal
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #257 on: January 29, 2011, 01:33:58 PM »
I haven't seen anyone with really bad english on these forums yet
Really? :lol

To find out otherwise, I usually have to speak to them a lot or I have a look at their profile.

Offline Gorille85

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #258 on: January 29, 2011, 01:35:21 PM »
I guess it's not that hard to see that I'm not a native speaker.

Offline antigoon

• Not Elvis
  • DT.net Veteran
  • This was a triumph.
« Reply #259 on: January 29, 2011, 01:35:41 PM »
WHEN YOU WERE YOUNG YOU WERE THE KING OF CARROT FLOWERS

Offline AcidLameLTE

• Nae deal pal
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #260 on: January 29, 2011, 01:40:21 PM »
I probably wouldn't have noticed, to be honest. I was referring to people like BRGM.

Offline TheVoxyn

• "The X makes it sound cool"
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #261 on: January 30, 2011, 09:12:18 AM »
I probably wouldn't have noticed, to be honest. I was referring to people like BRGM.
But icy used to type worse than most non-natives as well.

Online ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #262 on: February 02, 2011, 01:00:44 PM »
Right, as I said, I'm going to be updating this thread as I check out full albums by the various bands and artists. So here's the first part of that:

Bands and artists from round 1, part a:

Mumford & Sons (antigoon)
I’m really glad you submitted a song by them, as it got me listening to the album on Spotify, and I liked it so much I just couldn’t stop listening! So in the end I got my brother to buy me the CD for Christmas, and it’s still getting regular listens. The blend of folk and Radiohead-esque rock is just brilliant and it keeps the album varied and interesting, but still very coherent and consistent. My favourite songs I think would have to be White Blank Page, I Gave You All, and Thistle & Weeds. All the big sounding songs basically; they’re really good at those! Obviously they just have the one album at the moment so it’s early days, but I’m looking forward to whatever they do next.
Sigh No More [2009] – 9/10 – (Owned on CD)

Oceansize (zxlkho)
I’m really liking Oceansize so far. I’ve given Frames a good few listens and it’s such a solid album, very interesting all the way through. Quite a lot of it was like the song you submitted, in that ‘new-prog’ kind of style, but there’s a good amount of diversity on the album as well, particularly in some of the heavier parts. I’ve also given the new album a couple of listens as well, and it’s also extremely good, although it slightly lacks the consistent quality of Frames in my opinion. Still, both are excellent albums. Is it worth me checking out the earlier albums as well?
Frames [2007] – 8/10
Self-Preserved While the Bodies Float Up [2010] – 7/10

Agalloch (Portrucci)
Agalloch do a really amazing job of creating a bleak, wintery atmosphere. It’s not something I can listen to all the time, but when I’m in the right mood, especially on cold days, it’s just ideal. The Mantle in particular I really like, very well written and a great listen. I like Ashes… as well, although a little less so, but I’m not sure what it is. I think it’s just a few sections in a couple of songs where I lose interest, whereas there’s nothing like that on The Mantle. I need to check out their latest album at some point, but it’s not on Spotify yet. :sadpanda:
The Mantle [2002] – 8/10
Ashes Against the Grain [2006] – 7/10

Seventh Wonder (UMH)
Some really nice prog metal! I’ve given Mercy Falls a fair few listens now, and it’s a very good album, although my one issue is that it’s a little unnecessarily long. Aside from that, I like it a lot; I said when you submitted the title track that it reminded me of a more tasteful SX, and I think that vibe is there for the whole album, and the good songs are really good. I’ve also listened to their new album a couple of times, and it’s still good but to be honest I’m less keen on it because it really is quite cheesy. I thought they had a great balance on MF, but the new one just goes too far for me. :lol I’d be interested in hearing what the older stuff is like though.
Mercy Falls [2008] – 7/10
The Great Escape [2010] – 6/10
« Last Edit: February 10, 2011, 12:33:00 PM by ariich »

I be am boner inducing.

Offline orcus116

• DT.net Veteran
A followup? Will definitely be checking this out.

Offline ClairvoyantCat

• DT is no longer Majesty.
Check out Effloresce by Oceansize next.  That's the best album. 
« Last Edit: February 02, 2011, 01:23:10 PM by dtismajesty »

Online ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
A followup? Will definitely be checking this out.
Yup. I'm trying to make sure I properly check out at least one album by every artist, just to really see what they are like, especially as the individual songs submitted may not have always been ideally suited to my tastes.

Check out Effloresce by Oceansize next.  That's there best album. 
I would, but your grammar is so terrible I don't think I'll bother. :neverusethis:

I be am boner inducing.

Offline Gadough

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #266 on: February 02, 2011, 01:56:53 PM »
Yeah I know.  I sold it to a magical space hobo to buy some green apple jelly beans.

w...

wat
Gadough isn't Hitler. He's much, much worse.

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
  • Bouncing around the room
Both Effloresce and Everyone Into Position by Oceansize are amazing.
If you like them, check out Home & Minor EP and Music For Nurses EP also. ;)

Oceansize = the best them.  :hefdaddy

Online ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
Bands and artists from round 1, part b:

Jónsi (Voxyn)
This is really nice stuff, I’ve had a few listens to Go and it’s just such a pleasant and enjoyable album. I think I actually slightly prefer it to most (maybe all) of Sigur Ros’s stuff. Tornado and Kolniδur are the real standout tracks for me, and I really like Grow Till Tall as well. I haven’t had a chance to listen to Go Live yet as it’s not on Spotify, but the versions you sent me for the Roulette sounded really great, so I look forward to hearing that when it appears. Is he planning on doing any more solo albums?
Go [2010] – 8/10

The Black Keys (orcus)
This band are definitely growing on me. I like the song you sent me, but I’ve given the whole Brothers album a few listens and I really dig it, it’s got a nice 70s blues rock vibe all the way through and they do it really well! My favourite song is easily Tighten Up, but there are some other really good ones as well.  I also had a listen to their previous album, Attack & Release, which was really good too, although it was basically more of the same – not a great deal of variety in their sound. :lol Still, what they do, they do well, maybe not something I’d listen to too intently, but perfect for having on while working or reading. I'll be sure to give the older albums a listen, although I have a feeling they'll sound basically the same.
Brothers [2010] – 7/10
Attack & Release [2008] – 7/10

Kevin Gilbert (DTVT)
Ok so I haven’t been able to fully check out The Shaming of the True yet as Grooveshark only has 5 of the songs on there, but I have given Thud (which you submitted a song from later) a couple of listens in full and I really dig it. I guess it’s mostly got a hard rock feel with a proggy edge, and there’s a nice blend of quite emotional stuff and more rocking songs. I had a listen to the songs I could from Shaming… and they sound pretty good, maybe not as interesting as Thud, but it certainly sounds like a more fun album! If I get the chance to give it a proper listen, I’ll do so and report back.
Thud [1994] – 8/10
Shaming of the True [2000] – unable to rate, but sounds good

Bright Eyes (sonata)
Dude, you may have come bottom in that round, but it really was just because of the choice of song. I really like the album a lot! It’s got a great vibe throughout the whole thing, but with oddly depressing lyrics that contrast really well with the music which is often very upbeat sounding. Some of the songs, like “Down in a Rabbit Hole” and “Ship in a Bottle” are outright brilliant. I’ve also had a couple of listens to the sister album which I like a lot as well, although I find it slightly less exciting, I think because the instrumentation is a little more uni-directional. It’s got some really nice stuff in it though, and again a great vibe, very folky. I need to check out more of their albums – where should I go next?
Digital Ash in a Digital Urn [2005] – 8/10
I’m Wide Awake It’s Morning [2005] – 7/10

I be am boner inducing.

Offline orcus116

• DT.net Veteran
Yeah the biggest problem with The Black Keys is how their sound is pretty set so the songs kinda bleed into one another. Brothers was maybe a tad too long but in small doses the songs are great.

Offline Dr. DTVT

• DTF's resident Mad Scientist
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • What's your favorite planet? Mine's the Sun!
Check out Toy Matinee as well.  It is essentially another Kevin Gilbert album.

Online ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
Yeah the biggest problem with The Black Keys is how their sound is pretty set so the songs kinda bleed into one another. Brothers was maybe a tad too long but in small doses the songs are great.
Yeah but that can work in its favour at times. Like, if I'm in the mood for their style of music, I know I can just set up a Spotify playlist of all their albums, hit random shuffle and just enjoy whatever comes up.

Check out Toy Matinee as well.  It is essentially another Kevin Gilbert album.
I'll keep that in mind. :tup

I be am boner inducing.

Offline TheVoxyn

• "The X makes it sound cool"
  • DTF.org Alumni
Glad you enjoyed Go :). Not sure what the planning is. I think he is taking a break now (the tour for Go just finished), but chances are pretty high that he will make another album sometime. Guess it depends whether Sigur Rós is planning anything soon.

Offline sonatafanica

• cocksucking maniac
  • DTF.org Member
  • ☠☠☠☠☠☠jesus take the wheel☠☠☠☠☠☠
where should I go next?

If you like the electronic instrumentation more, I'd say go with the latest (er, upcoming) album The People's Key.

But really, just head in any direction and you're going to find something incredible. Bright Eyes is amazing.

Offline Sigz

• BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD
  • DTF.org Member
  • THRONES FOR THE THRONE SKULL
I really want to love Bright Eyes, but I just can't.
The world is a stage, but the play is badly cast.

Offline sonatafanica

• cocksucking maniac
  • DTF.org Member
  • ☠☠☠☠☠☠jesus take the wheel☠☠☠☠☠☠
I really want to love Bright Eyes, but I just can't.

Have you heard the album Digital Ash in a Digital Urn? It's mostly electronic, you might like it more.

Offline SoundscapeMN

yeah don't forget about Toy Matinee. To be honest, he's (Kevin Gilbert) my favorite musician of all-time, but that was the record that hooked me off the bat. Perfect Pop Record.

Online ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
yeah don't forget about Toy Matinee. To be honest, he's (Kevin Gilbert) my favorite musician of all-time, but that was the record that hooked me off the bat. Perfect Pop Record.
Cool, looks like that one is on Spotify (none of his solo stuff is) so I shall definitely give it a listen!

Next batch coming up.

I be am boner inducing.

Online ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
Bands and artists from round 2, part a:

Dog Fashion Disco (UMH)
DFD won this round, and rightly so, the song you sent was just fantastic. I really really like the album it’s on as well, it’s dark and quirky and fun and brilliant. A couple of the songs took a few listens to grow on me, but now I’m a big fan of the whole album.  I’ve also had a listen to 2 of their early albums, but I wasn’t so keen on those to be honest. The production was weaker and while there was some good stuff, it was much less consistent. However, the two albums in between those and the latest aren’t on Spotify so I haven’t had a chance to listen to those. Worth checking out?
Experiments in Alchemy [1998] – 5/10
Embryos in Bloom [2000] – 6/10
Adultery [2008] – 8/10

Sleepytime Gorilla Museum (DTVT)
Oh man, these guys are really great! Nothing on Spotify so I’ve had to listen on Grooveshark which I get to do less (can’t listen at work) so I’ve only managed to give a couple of listens each to their last two albums… but I love them already! At times they remind me of a wackier, more experimental Pain of Salvation. Of Natural History is a really amazing album, so much quirky, experimental stuff, at times heavy, dark, epic, occasionally even fun, just everything. In Glorious Times is great as well. I’ll try to check out their debut album at some point as well.
Of Natural History [2004] – 9/10 – (bought on digital download)
In Glorious Times [2007] – 8/10

Mother Mother (sonata)
Another band I have really got to like a lot, the top half of this round was seriously strong! I have listened to Touch Up so many times now, it’s just such a brilliant, fun album but with a serious side in some of the songs that works really well, like in Angry Sea which is a really excellent song. I’ll probably get myself a physical copy of that album if I see it in the shops at any point, because while it’s such a nice listen. I’ve checked out O My Heart as well, and it was good too but I wasn’t as enthralled by it, possibly because it lacks the diversity and contrast of Touch Up. Still, I look forward to the new album this year.
Touch Up [2007] – 8/10
O My Heart [2008] – 7/10

Broken Bells (antigoon)
Ok, so we’re on second round artists, and so far two of them have I bought physical CDs by – both your submissions! Broken Bells do such a great job of combining the folky indie background of the dude from The Shins and the poppier, more electronic edge from DJ Danger Mouse. And it works fantastically. This album has already got many listens from me, and I’m sure it will get many more. It’s really hard to pick favourite songs as the quality is so consistent throughout, but the ones that stand out at the moment are probably The High Road, The Ghost Inside (SO GROOVY!), Sailing to Nowhere, and Mongrel Heart (epic bridge section!). According to Wikipedia, they’ve “announced intentions to record a follow-up”. Can’t wait! :D
Broken Bells [2010] – 8/10 – (Owned on CD)
« Last Edit: March 06, 2011, 01:12:49 PM by ariich »

I be am boner inducing.

Offline Gorille85

• DTF.org Member
Some Avant-garde shit this time! :metal