Author Topic: ariich's Song Roulette - all done  (Read 52492 times)

Online ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
Re: ariich's Song Roulette - Round 5 results on Page 5!
« Reply #175 on: January 16, 2011, 04:19:00 PM »
Round 6: Emotional
Once again, this was a terrific round, and I just keep discovering more exciting music, so thank you everyone! As always I ranked the songs through a combination of how much I liked the song and how well it fit the theme (and also how well it obeyed the rules, UMH…)

5 points - TheVoxyn
Ólafur Arnalds - 3055 (https://listen.grooveshark.com/s/30+55/26Iiiy)
You’ve really pulled it out of the bag these last couple of rounds! This is just such a wonderful piece of music. I love how it starts very mellow and minimalist, with just a simple, sad theme played on the piano and strings, but as the song builds up the tone changes to something very happy and optimistic sounding. Definitely an emotional ride, and just perfectly executed throughout, I felt melancholy at the start and upbeat by the end. I’ve never heard of this guy before, but I’m really interested in checking out the album now.

4 points - DTVT
Kevin Gilbert - Song for a Dead Friend (https://listen.grooveshark.com/s/Song+For+A+Dead+Friend/E6qVK)
This is such a sad song, musically and lyrically. I haven’t had anyone in my life commit suicide and so I can’t relate personally, but obviously I can still empathise with situations beyond my own experience, and the lyrics here really do such a great job to help that. The line “What could I have told you to make you think again” in particular is incredibly upsetting, the first time I listened through while following the words, I had a tear in my eye. Aside from the lyrics though, the music is beautiful as well, very mellow and perfect for the subject matter, and the vocal performance is very emotional. I’m glad you sent me this song, as I haven’t got round to checking out any Kevin Gilbert yet, but now I’m a lot more excited about it.

4 points - sonatafanica
Björk - Joga (https://listen.grooveshark.com/s/J+ga/z1NsL)
This is my first proper experience of Björk’s music, and I have to say I really love it! Her voice is pretty strange, but I really like it a lot, even though I find it hard to really explain why. When she hits the first words of each line in the pre-chorus bits (“Emotional landscapes”, etc) there is such great power and feeling in her voice. I love the lyrics as well; they’re also slightly odd (I get the feeling that everything to do with her is weird in some way) but they clearly tell of the highs and lows of being very close to someone. I can’t work out if it’s a friend or a lover she refers to, but either way, both the words and the music paint a very strong picture of a relationship with ups and downs.  

3 points - antigoon
John Mayer - Dreaming With a Broken Heart (https://listen.grooveshark.com/s/Dreaming+With+A+Broken+Heart/2DcKzq)
Another sad song, again very well executed, both musically and lyrically. It maybe lacks the soul-destroying emotional punch in the face that DTVT’s entry has, but on the flip side it’s something that is much easier to relate to: the ending of a relationship, and dealing with the aftermath, which is something that most of us have had to deal with at least once in our lives. Some of the lines really hit me quite hard (the first two, for example) as I had a pretty hard break-up a few months ago and, while I’m fine now, I still remember pretty vividly what a state I was in at the time. The music is great too, simple and very soulful pop-rock, and again I love the vocal performance.

3 points - zxlkho
Buckethead - For Mom (https://listen.grooveshark.com/#/s/For+Mom/bYUcR)
Interestingly this is the first time I’ve received two entries by the same artist! I know very little about Buckethead, only that he plays guitar, was briefly in G’n’R, and releases something like an album a month. This was a really good instrumental piece though, written when his mother was battling cancer, and what I really love is how optimistic the music sounds. There are some sadder sounding sections, but for large parts of it the music is very attractive and upbeat, which I think portrays either how he was feeling at the time, or possibly even how he wanted to feel even when he found it hard. Really nice stuff, and thanks for informing me of the context of it, as knowing it definitely gives the tune some emotional impact.

2 points - orcus116
Alice in Chains - Rotten Apple (https://listen.grooveshark.com/s/Rotten+Apple/3mUgYO)
I think you used the perfect description for the concept and lyrics in this song: soul-crushing. It’s clear that he is regretting loss of innocence; I can’t tell whether he refers to himself or people in general, but either way it’s clearly something he feels strongly about. I really like the music as well, it’s got a great feel to it and I love the bluesy chorus. The one thing that gets in the way of me really enjoying it is Layne Staley’s voice, which isn’t bad but I’ve heard a couple of AIC songs before and I always just find his voice slightly bland, and this is a great example where I don’t think he’s strong enough to deliver the emotional punch that the song deserves. Having said that, after a few listens I was starting to get used to it, so I’ll give the album a listen at some point!

2 points - Ultimetalhead
Buckethead - Soothsayer (https://listen.grooveshark.com/s/Soothsayer+dedicated+To+Aunt+Suzie+/5Q87f)
Another Buckethead tune, and again this is really good stuff. This time the track is about someone close passing away, and it’s interesting that this song actually goes into some quite rocking sections. The emotion is clear in his playing and in the music itself, particularly in the first solo (or possibly the bit just before… the problem with solo guitar music is that it’s hard to tell what is solo and what is melody) which is just fantastic. In general this is a really good song and between this and Ryan’s entry I’m very inclined to check Buckethead out properly now. The main reason this one has only managed 2 points while Ryan’s got 3: you failed to keep to the 8 minute time limit! :P

1 point - Portrucci
Neu! - Lilac Angel (https://listen.grooveshark.com/s/Lila+Engel+lilac+Angel+/2IcwGZ)
I’m a little torn over this song, and I feel kinda bad for giving it only 1 point as it has some really cool ideas, I just liked it less than the other entries. You certainly seem to like your 70s German rock! I cranked the volume up like you suggested, and you’re right, it has a great amount of power to it and I’m quite a fan of the strange and slightly freaky vocals. My main gripes with the song are that I think I’m just not a fan of the production which even at high volume sounds quite odd and dated, and I’m also not a fan of the way the chord does not change once. I can appreciate the idea behind this, and I’ve heard similar songs do the same thing where it worked pretty well, but here it just meant I felt the song dragged on.

Rankings:
antigoon - 21
TheVoxyn - 21
orcus116 - 20
DTVT - 18
----------
zxlkho - 17
sonatafanica - 17
Ultimetalhead - 16
Portrucci - 14

Well well well, there we have it. Sorry to those of you who haven't made the semi-finals, but honestly thanks so much for taking part; every single person has introduced me to at least two bands/artists that I'm interested in checking out properly (or have already done so) and everyone submitted mostly really good songs.

Next:

SEMI FINALS
antigoon vs DTVT
TheVoxyn vs orcus116

The twist: I want you all to send two songs this time - one heavy and one soft.
« Last Edit: May 09, 2011, 03:28:04 PM by ariich »

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Offline TheVoxyn

• "The X makes it sound cool"
  • DTF.org Alumni
Re: ariich's Song Roulette - Round 6 results on Page 6!
« Reply #176 on: January 16, 2011, 04:23:27 PM »
HELL YEA!

Last couple of rounds have been pretty damn good for me. Finally doing good in a song roulette. Might be because it's the first time I'm really thinking about what I'm sending instead of sending the first thing that pops into my mind :p.

That said, will have to think about what to send now. Don't really have something anymore that I feel like I really want to send.

Online ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #177 on: January 16, 2011, 04:25:00 PM »
That said, will have to think about what to send now. Don't really have something anymore that I feel like I really want to send.
Don't let me down, Sander, or I'll have to hurt you! :police:

I be am boner inducing.

Offline TheVoxyn

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #178 on: January 16, 2011, 04:26:35 PM »
Don't let me down, Sander, or I'll have to hurt you! :police:
I'll think of something :eyebrows:.

Offline Ultimetalhead

• The Mighty Masturbator
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • .ay rof dab s'ti dna...
« Reply #179 on: January 16, 2011, 04:42:31 PM »
Dammit Rich.  :lol Was it not worth it?
Orion....that's the one with a bunch of power chords and boringly harsh vocals, isn't it?
LOOK AT THIS AWESOME SHIT AHHHHHH

Online ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #180 on: January 16, 2011, 04:49:52 PM »
Dammit Rich.  :lol Was it not worth it?
:lol Well, to be honest your song was pretty much on a par with Ryan's aside from the length, which would have given you 3 points potentially rather than 2, and so you still wouldn't quite have qualified. So from that point of view it makes no difference, but from the point of view of introducing me to a really good Buckethead song, it was worth it. :tup

I be am boner inducing.

Offline sonatafanica

• cocksucking maniac
  • DTF.org Member
  • ☠☠☠☠☠☠jesus take the wheel☠☠☠☠☠☠
« Reply #181 on: January 16, 2011, 04:56:58 PM »
brb killing myself

Offline jsem

« Reply #182 on: January 16, 2011, 05:01:04 PM »
UHM... you should've sent I Love My Parents. Or any track offa electric tears

Offline ClairvoyantCat

• DT is no longer Majesty.
« Reply #183 on: January 16, 2011, 05:03:14 PM »
Glad to see some love for Kevin Gilbert here. Definitely get The Shaming of the True when you can, El Ricardo.

Online ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later

I be am boner inducing.

Offline Portrucci

• Fission Mailed
  • You're just another hero riding through the night
« Reply #185 on: January 16, 2011, 05:03:44 PM »
fuuuuuuuu last  :lol oh well. this roulette was fun Rich, thanks for running it!
on par with the anguish one would have from getting unconsensually bent over and buttloved.

Offline Ultimetalhead

• The Mighty Masturbator
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • .ay rof dab s'ti dna...
« Reply #186 on: January 16, 2011, 05:27:11 PM »
UHM... you should've sent I Love My Parents. Or any track offa electric tears
The FUCK?

Oh, by the way. When can I start mine?
Orion....that's the one with a bunch of power chords and boringly harsh vocals, isn't it?
LOOK AT THIS AWESOME SHIT AHHHHHH

Offline jsem

« Reply #187 on: January 16, 2011, 05:36:34 PM »
Emotional songs.

Nvm. All BH's songs are emotional, and soothsayer shoulda won. It's a god tier song.

Offline SoundscapeMN

« Reply #188 on: January 16, 2011, 05:53:18 PM »
also get Thud and Toy Matinee (Kevin Gilbert)

Offline jsem

« Reply #189 on: January 16, 2011, 05:54:15 PM »

UHM
:facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm:

fqUI9GBogibqogybq

I GET IT NOW

Offline zxlkho

• Official Dream Theater Hater.
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #190 on: January 16, 2011, 06:22:20 PM »
Soothsayer has the greatest guitar solo ever.
I AM A GUY
You're a fucking stupid bitch.

Offline orcus116

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #191 on: January 16, 2011, 06:39:39 PM »
Haha barely squeaked in there. Next round should be great.

Offline antigoon

• Not Elvis
  • DT.net Veteran
  • This was a triumph.
« Reply #192 on: January 16, 2011, 07:50:38 PM »
Wow! Thanks for letting me continue in my absence. Can't wait for the semifinals -- I should be able to get you something by tomorrow evening.

Online Dr. DTVT

• DTF's resident Mad Scientist
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • What's your favorite planet? Mine's the Sun!
« Reply #193 on: January 17, 2011, 12:03:00 AM »
Songs sent.  I went with one up-and-coming artist and one complete unknown - I could have played it safer I think.

Offline kári

• Meow
  • DTF.com Member
  • það besta sem guð hefur skapað er nýr dagur
« Reply #194 on: January 17, 2011, 01:54:25 AM »
Aww come on. :P

You and me go parallel, together and apart

Offline TheVoxyn

• DTF.org Alumni

Online ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #196 on: January 17, 2011, 12:20:05 PM »
fuuuuuuuu last  :lol oh well. this roulette was fun Rich, thanks for running it!
:lol No problem man, I'm glad I invited you as you introduced me to Agalloch and Crippled Black Phoenix who I'm really interested in, plus a couple of others who I intend to check out properly. :tup

Oh, by the way. When can I start mine?
Depending on how quickly people send their songs in, the semi-finals hopefully won't take too long. Once I'm on to the final, you can probably set yours up.

also get Thud and Toy Matinee (Kevin Gilbert)
Yeah I'm definitely interested in Thud in particular, as 1) that's what Song For a Dead Friend is from, and 2) the whole thing is on Grooveshark.

I be am boner inducing.

Offline antigoon

• Not Elvis
  • DT.net Veteran
  • This was a triumph.
« Reply #197 on: January 18, 2011, 09:51:01 AM »
This heavy song submission is going to be the end of me. The only heavy music I listen to is stuff everyone on this board listens to :lol

Offline TheVoxyn

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #198 on: January 18, 2011, 05:20:48 PM »
I have a slow song that I'm not very confident about and don't have a heavy song yet. This is going well...

Online ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #199 on: January 19, 2011, 01:27:16 PM »
It amuses me that you guys are having so much trouble picking things this round. :lol

orcypoo, send me songs! :P

I be am boner inducing.

Offline orcus116

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #200 on: January 19, 2011, 02:29:51 PM »
Been busy and out of town. You shall receive them by the night. I actually found a great heavy song but it's damn near 10 minutes so back to the drawing board.

Online ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #201 on: January 19, 2011, 03:08:45 PM »
Been busy and out of town.
:lol No worries, was just posting a reminder.

I actually found a great heavy song but it's damn near 10 minutes so back to the drawing board.
D'oh! I actually had considered removing the 8 minute limit for the semi-finals onwards, but as the others have submitted their songs already it might not be fair. Unless Voxyn is cool with it, in which case go ahead.

EDIT: Oh by the way you'll be pleased to hear I picked up a copy of Beggars from HMV and ordered all the Alchemy Index discs from play.com. :D
« Last Edit: January 19, 2011, 04:09:40 PM by El Ricardo »

I be am boner inducing.

Offline TheVoxyn

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #202 on: January 19, 2011, 06:46:56 PM »
If you drop the limit, I might need to rethink my songs. I don't really care either way but dropping it now would mean you'll have to wait till Friday (don't have the time tomorrow).

Offline orcus116

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #203 on: January 19, 2011, 10:41:39 PM »
Sent.

EDIT: Oh by the way you'll be pleased to hear I picked up a copy of Beggars from HMV and ordered all the Alchemy Index discs from play.com. :D

Excellent! Glad I could further spread the Thrice love.

Online ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #204 on: January 21, 2011, 04:47:57 AM »
All songs are in, so results and write-ups should be done by tonight or possibly tomorrow, depending on how quickly I can make some decisions. I've no idea who I'm going to put through to the final yet!

I be am boner inducing.

Offline Sigz

• BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD
  • DTF.org Member
  • THRONES FOR THE THRONE SKULL
« Reply #205 on: January 21, 2011, 04:53:22 AM »
Oh by the way you'll be pleased to hear I picked up a copy of Beggars from HMV and ordered all the Alchemy Index discs from play.com. :D

YESSSSSS
The world is a stage, but the play is badly cast.

Online ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #206 on: January 22, 2011, 12:22:15 PM »
Semi-finals: Heavy and Soft (2 songs)
Ok here we are. This round is going to have a separate post for each match. The first will go up in a second, and the other will go up in a few minutes when I’ve finished writing it up.

For each match I’ve separated the categories and within each category I’ve put the song I preferred first. One thing that made it hard to decide on a winner is the fact that everybody won one category in their match, so even after I decided which songs I preferred, I needed to listen a couple more times and decide how much I preferred them, to come to a decision. Anyway, onwards…

I be am boner inducing.

Online ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #207 on: January 22, 2011, 12:24:11 PM »
Match 1: antigoon vs DTVT

HEAVY SONGS

DTVT
Intronaut - Elegy
This is a really interesting song. It’s pretty heavy at times, and some of the riffing is really great – pretty unique but not so weird as to be hard to listen to. There are lots of really good ideas throughout the song, and there’s a lot going on but what really stands out about the song is that it’s still very coherent, so the six and a half minutes just fly by! Really good stuff, and definitely along the lines of what I was hoping to discover in this round! Oh and I absolutely love the chuggy headbanging section towards the end; I’d love to see these guys live just for that.

antigoon
Protest the Hero - The Dissentience
I think your description of this music as ADD is very apt. :lol I really like it though, it took a couple of listens to start to get into, but there’s a lot of good stuff in here and on the whole it’s actually really enjoyable, which is something you don’t tend to get with heavy music. It is pretty crazy though, and maybe slightly disjointed at times (seriously, I don’t think a single section is repeated!) but this is a band who clearly have a huge abundance of good ideas, because individually the sections are great, and the melodic ones in particular have a great feel and contrast well with the all-out heavy sections. The vocalist is great as well, really powerful voice, and in fact all the musicians are top-notch performers. Fun stuff all round!

SOFT SONGS

antigoon
Neko Case - Vengeance is Sleeping
This is a really lovely, laid-back folky type song. I don’t really know The New Pornographers so I’m not aware of any of her other work, but she has such a nice voice, and I really like the way she brings in some great vocal harmonies every now and then. I don’t have much more to say to be honest, this song just has a great vibe throughout, and the more I listen to it, the more I like it. I’m very glad that Spotify has so many of her albums. :D

DTVT
Vonassi - Gini
Interesting choice, going for a real unknown, but this song is really good. If I’m honest, it’s not as soft/light as I was expecting for this category, and the pre-chorus type section in particular is actually pretty rocking. But aside from that, it’s a really nice bit of vaguely proggy rock, and while it may not be that exciting all the way through, it shows a lot of promise seeing as it’s their debut album. The vocalist in particular is great, and I really like the bridge section (although again it’s a lot more rocking than I was expecting!). I’m not sure I was wowed enough to go out and buy the album, but if it ever appears on Grooveshark or Spotify, I shall definitely give it a proper listen!

WINNER - antigoon
This was a really tough call. I liked all 4 songs a lot, and you were both victorious in one of the categories, but in the end it came down to the fact that the difference between the soft songs was bigger than between the heavy songs.

Thanks so much for playing though, DTVT, you’ve introduced me to some excellent music!

I be am boner inducing.

Offline orcus116

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #208 on: January 22, 2011, 12:34:44 PM »
And I was so close to sending Protest The Hero instead.

Online ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #209 on: January 22, 2011, 12:45:19 PM »
Match 2: TheVoxyn vs orcus116

HEAVY SONGS

TheVoxyn
God is an Astronaut - Zodiac
Is this really the heaviest thing in your collection?! :lol It really isn’t particularly heavy at all, although in fairness it is a lot faster and more rocking than any other post-rock I’ve heard, and that is one of the reasons I like it so much. It has all the good things about post-rock (the vibe, the build-up) but in a really rocking song with a tremendous amount of energy and dynamic. I’ve heard of the band before, but never listened to any of their music, and it sounds like I’m missing out!

orcus116
Between the Buried and Me - Alaska
Ok, now see this is heavy! Comfortably the heaviest song I was sent this round, and it has some good stuff in there. The intro section in particular is great; there is some sweet riffing and it’s somewhat melodic - it sets the song up really well, but then it really kicks off and to be honest it gets a bit intense for me I think. You mentioned the vocals, and those don’t bother me too much actually (although they do take a bit of getting used to), it’s more just how frantic and generally insane this song is. It’s so manic in places that it becomes impossible to follow or even make out the riffs! :lol That said, there are some really good ideas in there, it just takes some effort to make them out. I’ve heard good stuff about BTBAM, and the intro to the song shows what they’re capable of, so I’ll definitely give a whole album a listen at some point.

SOFT SONGS

orcus116
The Beta Band - Dry the Rain
Wow, I really love this song. If I’m honest, on the very first listen I was slightly underwhelmed, but the more I listened the more I loved it, and now I just can’t get enough of it. It has a really nice vibe to it, and a really great build-up, which is unusual for something that is ultimately pretty laid-back. The section towards the end after the trumpet comes in is so damn catchy; I had another listen to all the songs this morning before going out, and that part was stuck in my head all friggin’ day. :lol Really terrific stuff!

TheVoxyn
Jason Molina - Long Desert Train
This is a very pleasant song, and I liked it quite a lot right from my first listen. The only problem I’ve found with it is that it really doesn’t have much going on in it. It’s nice, and Molina has a good voice, but after a couple of listens I felt there was nothing else I was really getting from the song, and it started to drag a little. If it was a bit shorter and more concise, I think I might have really engaged with it more, but as it is I consider it more suitable as background music. Although there’s nothing wrong with that (that sort of thing is great to have on while doing work) so I’ll definitely give the album a listen at some point.

WINNER – orcus116
If anything, this decision was even harder than the last one! Both of you sent in one song that I really loved, and one that interested me but that I wasn’t that excited by. Ultimately, I simply couldn’t decide on song quality, so I decided to put orcus through as he did a better job of fitting the themes.

Sorry that you got eliminated for such a lame reason Sander, but thanks so much for playing!

I be am boner inducing.