Author Topic: ariich's Song Roulette - all done  (Read 52459 times)

Offline kári

• Meow
  • DTF.com Member
  • það besta sem guð hefur skapað er nýr dagur
Re: ariich's Song Roulette - Round 3 results on Page 3!
« Reply #105 on: December 31, 2010, 07:38:42 AM »
WHAT THE HELL!? Are you me TheVoxyn? Like, when I go to sleep I'll wake up a little later and start posting as TheVoxyn and not remember it at all right now?

You and me go parallel, together and apart

Online ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
Re: ariich's Song Roulette - Round 3 results on Page 3!
« Reply #106 on: December 31, 2010, 07:45:45 AM »
:lol

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Offline TheVoxyn

• "The X makes it sound cool"
  • DTF.org Alumni
Re: ariich's Song Roulette - Round 3 results bottom of Page 3!
« Reply #107 on: December 31, 2010, 08:06:36 AM »
Yay, points.

WHAT THE HELL!? Are you me TheVoxyn? Like, when I go to sleep I'll wake up a little later and start posting as TheVoxyn and not remember it at all right now?
It's all just a dream. There is no DTF.

Offline orcus116

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #108 on: December 31, 2010, 09:13:53 AM »
So pumped you liked it!  :tup They're an incredible band and a fairly young one as well. Check out "The World Is Our ____" and "Quiet" from Young Mountain as well as "Threads" and "The Might Rio Grande" from This Will Destroy You for instant suggestions, or just check out those two albums.

Online ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #109 on: December 31, 2010, 09:32:09 AM »
Yeah gonna give the full albums a listen at some point. As an album opener, that song is pretty much perfect!

I be am boner inducing.

Offline Dr. DTVT

• DTF's resident Mad Scientist
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • What's your favorite planet? Mine's the Sun!
« Reply #110 on: December 31, 2010, 10:17:23 AM »
I am dissapoint.  I thought I was getting 3.  "Why" is the only other song this round I am familiar with, and its probably the best song in Superior's catalog.

I'm going to be stuck in my hometown longer than expected, I need new tires for my car and they won't get in until the 3rd.  I'll have occasional access until then, and I can probably make an informed selection for the next round in a day or two.

Offline SoundscapeMN

« Reply #111 on: December 31, 2010, 12:56:44 PM »
"Why?" or "Nothing" would be my favorite Superior tracks. Good to see them and Ne Obliviscaris  :tup

Offline antigoon

• Not Elvis
  • DT.net Veteran
  • This was a triumph.
« Reply #112 on: December 31, 2010, 04:29:54 PM »
So glad you liked the tune, Rich! I was worried!

Gonna have to do some serious thinking for this round.

Offline orcus116

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #113 on: January 01, 2011, 12:41:16 AM »
I gotta check out more Mehldau stuff. The only thing I've heard from him is an incredible live version of him covering "Paranoid Android" on just piano but his chops are outstanding.

Offline antigoon

• Not Elvis
  • DT.net Veteran
  • This was a triumph.
« Reply #114 on: January 01, 2011, 12:47:10 AM »
Ah I heard that one on YouTube, it was awesome. Check out the tune I sent Rich, it's really great. https://listen.grooveshark.com/s/Don+t+Be+Sad/2M9d8y

Here's an interactive storybook of the album it's from with clips from the record... It's a bit of a concept.
https://bradmehldau.com/content/storybook/index.html

« Last Edit: January 01, 2011, 06:35:49 AM by ariich »

Online ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #115 on: January 01, 2011, 06:36:32 AM »
Joe, I couldn't work out if that youtube link was an official one or not, so I edited in the Grooveshark link that I found, and which I had already included in my results post. :P

I be am boner inducing.

Offline Ultimetalhead

• The Mighty Masturbator
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • .ay rof dab s'ti dna...
« Reply #116 on: January 01, 2011, 02:25:57 PM »
Kind of a risky pick coming your way. We'll see.
Orion....that's the one with a bunch of power chords and boringly harsh vocals, isn't it?
LOOK AT THIS AWESOME SHIT AHHHHHH

Offline antigoon

• Not Elvis
  • DT.net Veteran
  • This was a triumph.
« Reply #117 on: January 01, 2011, 11:02:28 PM »
Joe, I couldn't work out if that youtube link was an official one or not, so I edited in the Grooveshark link that I found, and which I had already included in my results post. :P

Ah. Apologies. Well the video is super cool, it's a stylized song scroll and you can find it on his website.

https://bradmehldau.com/music/highway_rider/index.html#

Offline orcus116

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #118 on: January 02, 2011, 10:20:40 PM »
Back home from Boston. I'll try to send one in the next day or so.

Offline TheVoxyn

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #119 on: January 03, 2011, 12:38:40 AM »
I'm having a lot of trouble thinking of a song you don't have yet.

Online ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #120 on: January 04, 2011, 05:03:14 AM »
Bumpity.

I be am boner inducing.

Offline TheVoxyn

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #121 on: January 04, 2011, 05:11:19 AM »
Still don't really know what to send but I will try to get something out today.

Offline Portrucci

• Fission Mailed
  • You're just another hero riding through the night
« Reply #122 on: January 04, 2011, 05:20:55 AM »
ok sent a good one. this should go well  :biggrin:
« Last Edit: January 04, 2011, 05:30:57 AM by Portrucci »
on par with the anguish one would have from getting unconsensually bent over and buttloved.

Offline TheVoxyn

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #123 on: January 04, 2011, 04:59:16 PM »
Sent.

Online ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #124 on: January 05, 2011, 01:50:47 AM »
Cool, just waiting on one more. I'll hopefully have writeups done before Friday, when I'm going away to Madrid for 4 days.

I be am boner inducing.

Offline orcus116

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #125 on: January 06, 2011, 02:20:53 PM »
Finally sent. SORRY DUDES.

Offline sonatafanica

• cocksucking maniac
  • DTF.org Member
  • ☠☠☠☠☠☠jesus take the wheel☠☠☠☠☠☠
« Reply #126 on: January 06, 2011, 02:24:58 PM »
WHAT THE DICK, MAN

Offline orcus116

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #127 on: January 06, 2011, 02:28:37 PM »
I BLAME NO ONE ELSE ;~;

Online ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #128 on: January 06, 2011, 02:49:03 PM »
No worries, I'm doing the write-ups now, and I'm away from tomorrow until Monday anyway, so you'll all have plenty of time to have a think about Round 5.

Oh man there are so many good songs this round, I still don't know which one should get 5 points.

I be am boner inducing.

Offline Dr. DTVT

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #129 on: January 06, 2011, 03:28:46 PM »
Oh man there are so many good songs this round, I still don't know which one should get 5 points.

If my song didn't move you, you are a heartless, soulless bastard.

Online ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #130 on: January 06, 2011, 04:43:28 PM »
Round 4: Lyrics
Another really great round, possibly the best one yet even. The top few songs I had to keep listening to while following the lyrics to try and decide how to rank them, it was really tough! A running theme in this round was bands and artists that I’ve heard of or meant to check out but never got round to or only heard a small amount of before (5 of the 8 songs - nugget?) and all of those I liked enough to want to listen to more of! Anyway, on with the write-ups…

5 points - sonatafanica
Joanna Newsom - Does Not Suffice (https://listen.grooveshark.com/s/Does+Not+Suffice/2PLe9x)
This is such a beautiful song! I don’t know what the inspiration was for the lyrics, but it’s clearly about some kind of heartbreak. The language itself is very simple, but the imagery is wonderful and moving, and the last verse/section in particular is just heart-wrenching, probably for anyone who has ever experienced an unwanted breakup. The music itself is really lovely as well, it complements the lyrics perfectly, her voice is gorgeous, and the section at the end is a great way to wrap the song up. As with many of the bands and artists I’ve been sent over the course of this Roulette, I’ve heard about Newsom and I think heard one or two songs here and there, but never sat down and given her a proper listen, which I’m now regretting.

4 points - orcus116
Thrice - Beggars (https://listen.grooveshark.com/s/Beggars/2r4Crx)
I really can’t say enough good things about this song, it just has everything. The music is really good, pretty straightforward I guess, but the way it builds up throughout the song is great, and the whole thing has a very strong and compelling atmosphere. And this is enhanced immeasurably by the lyrics, which are just fantastic! What I really like is the fact that stylistically the lyrics are very personal and emotional, particularly in the repeated asking of very direct questions, but the subject matter is far more broad and philosophical/sociological. This juxtaposition works really well and gives the overall song a very powerful feel. I’ve heard Thrice mentioned so many times but never bothered to check them out; time to change that I think.

4 points - antigoon
Ben Folds - Fred Jones part 2 (live) (https://listen.grooveshark.com/s/Fred+Jones+Part+2/2Vhgfb)
This is definitely the kind of thing I was looking for in this round, where the lyrics really add immensely to the song. The music is really nice, but nothing massively special in itself. But with such emotional and well-written lyrics that somehow perfectly complement the pleasant and almost bouncy music, the combination is an incredibly sad sounding song. This is an effect that is very hard to achieve, successfully combining music of one mood with lyrics of another, but the result here is brilliant. Yet another artist I need to check out (I’m so glad that Spotify and Grooveshark exist, or you guys would be bankrupting me!)

3 points - DTVT
Enchant - What to Say (https://listen.grooveshark.com/s/What+To+Say/1S8OgS)
I have oddly mixed feelings about the lyrics to this song. :lol On one hand, they are very emotional, the concept is very moving and there are some great moments, but there are just a couple of lines that strike me as slightly awkward. On the whole I do like the lyrics though, but what I really like is the music. I’m not sure how well it complements the words (possibly a DT-esque situation of writing music first and adding lyrics later) but in itself the music is really good, there are some excellent melodies and the performance is very slick. Enchant are another band I’ve heard of a number of times but never listened to, so I’m definitely going to give at least this album a listen, and probably some others as well (they all seem to be on Spotify!)

3 points - Portrucci
Crippled Black Phoenix - Fantastic Justice (https://listen.grooveshark.com/s/Fantastic+Justice/3awMI0)
I really like this song a lot, this is definitely an album I need to check out. The music is just great throughout, and I love the instrumentation (I can’t work out if those are real brass instruments being used in the bigger sounding sections or just a synthesiser, but the effect is great). The lyrics are interesting, quite dark and surreal and full of strange references and metaphors, although the only downside of this is that it makes the lyrics very dense and hard to get much from, if that makes sense. What I do like a lot about the lyrics, though, is the phrasing, which is very unusual and almost uncomfortable in places, but the effect they create within the overall sound is fantastic! You’ve probably never listened to a Brit-pop band called Ocean Colour Scene, but their lyrics often have similar kinds of unusual phrasing as well, and so some parts of this remind me of a darker version of them. Good stuff anyway, I’m definitely going to give the album a listen!

2 points - zxlkho
A Perfect Circle - Weak and Powerless (https://listen.grooveshark.com/#/s/Weak+And+Powerless/1SbrFD)
It’s such a shame that I can’t give this song more points this round; it was just weaker than some of the others. The lyrics are really good, maybe not something I can relate to personally but despite that they really portray how weak drug addicts can feel, and as is usually the case with Maynard there are some really wonderful lines (like “Digging to the rhythm and the echo of a solitary siren”). The music is good too, I’ve only heard APC’s first album before and I wasn’t a huge fan, but that was a long time ago and obviously they’ve done more stuff since then, so as happened with Portrucci sending me Agalloch in the first round, I’ve definitely been inspired to check APC out again!

2 points - TheVoxyn
Bonnie 'Prince' Billy - I See A Darkness (https://listen.grooveshark.com/s/I+See+A+Darkness/J6OHF)
This is a really lovely mellow song. The lyrics are pretty straightforward, but this works well because they are obviously very personal and so they give a very sad and relatable feel to the song. The music itself is very simple as well, which complements the lyrics nicely. The only reason this song has only managed 2 points is that it doesn’t really feel like it goes anywhere, and while this is certainly not a major issue at all for an individual song, the quality of the songs this round was so high that it was enough to make the difference. I’ll give the album a listen at some point though, as this song has intrigued me.

1 point - Ultimetalhead
Big D and the Kids Table - Shining On (https://listen.grooveshark.com/s/Shining+On/2BfEXJ)
This song is only getting 1 point, but that doesn’t mean I don’t still like it quite a lot. I don’t own many ska albums but it’s a genre I enjoy plenty, especially live (a friend of mine at uni used to play trumpet in a band and I went to their gigs every chance I got). The chorus is incredibly infectious; each time I’ve listened to the song it’s been stuck in my head for ages afterwards! There are two reasons this song came bottom of the round though: 1) the verses are kind of annoying vocally. Nothing against rap at all, but that kind of lazy semi-talking just sounds slightly awkward to me when not done right. And 2) the lyrics are definitely good fun and nicely upbeat, but I just don’t see them as a focal point of the song at all. Other than that, it’s very enjoyable.

Rankings:
antigoon – 16
orcus116 - 14
Ultimetalhead - 12
sonatafanica - 12
zxlkho - 11
TheVoxyn - 11
DTVT - 10
Portrucci - 10

Next:

Round 5: Recent – anything from 2009 or 2010 (or even 2011 if you have any!). I've enjoyed a lot of new music that has been released in the last 2 years but I know there must be a ton more. Style/genre etc is completely open, it just has to be an original song first released since the start of 2009.
« Last Edit: May 09, 2011, 03:27:00 PM by ariich »

I be am boner inducing.

Offline TheVoxyn

• DTF.org Alumni
Re: ariich's Song Roulette - Round 4 results on Page 4!
« Reply #131 on: January 06, 2011, 04:46:51 PM »
Only 2 points for such an amazing song? I must check out all the other songs then :p.

Online ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #132 on: January 06, 2011, 04:49:32 PM »
Only 2 points for such an amazing song? I must check out all the other songs then :p.
Yeah this round was really great! I'm glad I stole DTVT's idea and did a lyrics round. :D

I be am boner inducing.

Offline Jamesman42

• There you'll find me
  • DT.net Member
  • Spiral OUT
« Reply #133 on: January 06, 2011, 04:55:25 PM »
Ariich, go buy Thrice's Beggars now. Such a great album.

Offline TheVoxyn

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #134 on: January 06, 2011, 04:58:25 PM »
I see you gave Go a full listen, awesome.

Offline zxlkho

• Official Dream Theater Hater.
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #135 on: January 06, 2011, 04:58:41 PM »
This... and APC's Thirteenth Step.
I AM A GUY
You're a fucking stupid bitch.
Orion....that's the one with a bunch of power chords and boringly harsh vocals, isn't it?

Offline Jamesman42

• There you'll find me
  • DT.net Member
  • Spiral OUT
« Reply #136 on: January 06, 2011, 04:59:28 PM »
This... and APC's Thirteenth Step.

I myself should get that, the song you picked and Blue were favorites of mine years ago (and the only ones I've heard).

Online ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #137 on: January 06, 2011, 05:17:34 PM »
I very much intend to give it a few listens, but if I like it enough then I imagine I'll buy it at some point.

I see you gave Go a full listen, awesome.
:tup It's a really nice album!

I be am boner inducing.

Offline Ultimetalhead

• The Mighty Masturbator
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • .ay rof dab s'ti dna...
« Reply #138 on: January 06, 2011, 05:45:05 PM »
Bah, I knew it was kind of a risk with the rap-esque verses, but oh well. Glad you liked the song anyway. Their album Strictly Rude (The one the song is off of) is good, but the middle of the album goes down in quality. My personal favorite album is How it Goes. Check that one out for sure.

Time to pick another winner.
LOOK AT THIS AWESOME SHIT AHHHHHH

Offline Dr. DTVT

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #139 on: January 06, 2011, 07:58:21 PM »
Well, if you liked that song, you should love Enchant, as I wouldn't put that as a top 5 song of theirs for me, but I felt it fit the round well and was under 8 minutes.  The song I REALLY wanted to send was "New Moon", but wasn't going to risk sending you a 8:24 song.  As for albums, I would rank them:

J9/D10
Tug of War
Time Lost
Wounded (now Wounded and Time Lost are sold together I think)
Break
Blueprint of the World
Blink of an Eye

Most people seem to have Break as their least favorite and Blueprint higher, but even Blink of an Eye is a good album worth that I would give to someone wanting to check out the band and getting them hooked.  Ted Leonard is one of my favorite vocalists, and they write so many songs that I just relate to so well - I almost sent you "My Enemy" from Break, and really could have sent half their catalog and had it been very appropriate for this round.