Author Topic: MP too press release happy according to Avenged Sevenfold  (Read 10963 times)

Offline MykeHavoc

• Send More Cops
Re: MP too press release happy according to Avenged Sevenfold
« Reply #70 on: December 17, 2010, 12:51:06 PM »
Maybe Mike is participating in a mockumentary similar to that of Joaquin Phoenix's I'm Still Here and this is all just a ridiculous joke meant to illustrate the breaking down of a once respectable musician :P

Offline sobedragon

« Reply #71 on: December 17, 2010, 01:05:30 PM »
Yeah and, frankly, maybe they didn't like all the attention Mike was generating via his twitter? Intentional or not, Mike, a hired gun, was becoming the public 'face' of A7X and if you check out their sites, he was actually winning over fans too. Magazines and sites were treating him like the full time drummer. Fans were too, if they weren't going as far as to treat him like God's gift to the band.

I agree, and a great example of this was my Meet and Greet in Vegas. All A7X music and tshirts. Made no sense to me!

Offline blackngold29

« Reply #72 on: December 17, 2010, 01:09:15 PM »
Yeah and, frankly, maybe they didn't like all the attention Mike was generating via his twitter? Intentional or not, Mike, a hired gun, was becoming the public 'face' of A7X and if you check out their sites, he was actually winning over fans too. Magazines and sites were treating him like the full time drummer. Fans were too, if they weren't going as far as to treat him like God's gift to the band.

I agree, and a great example of this was my Meet and Greet in Vegas. All A7X music and tshirts. Made no sense to me!
If that's the case then they just turned down a hell of a lot of free publicity.

Offline cyberdrummer

• Setlist Guru and DT.net Veteran
« Reply #73 on: December 17, 2010, 01:33:57 PM »
"Posted Dec 17 2010
For the past few months, we've been blessed with Mike Portnoy's talent and humanity. When Mike agreed to tour with us, it was only through the end of 2010. We always knew we'd need to find another solution for 2011 and beyond. And it's time for us to take that next step.
We know we are not ready to add another permanent member of Avenged Sevenfold. We don't know if we will ever be. But if we do, it will only be with someone who is not only a brilliant drummer, but also someone we've gotten to know well on the road and off, and who you the fans have had a chance to get to know, and hopefully accept. In other words, in this family, we take these steps together, band and our extended fan family.
We are lucky to be surrounded by so many friends, many of whom knew Jimmy very well personally, as well as our band and Jimmy's drumming talent and style. These friends have introduced us to several amazing drummers. We have decided to take one of them out starting in January. He will not be a member of a7x. He will be someone you and we are getting to know. Perhaps this drummer will be a fit. Perhaps not. One thing is for sure. Over time we will find someone who helps us continue our quest to make the music we love for the fans we love.
Mike and the band agree that can't be him. Why? Long before there was an Avenged Sevenfold, there were members of this band who looked up to Mike and, in Jimmy's case, learned a lot from watching Mike play. He is a brilliant writer, producer and of course drummer. Because of that, the world and we would always see it as Avenged Sevenfold with Mike Portnoy. We take a lot of pride in A7X being about something greater then any individuals. Its about the music, the fans and the friends and family we have as well as continuing our best friends legacy.
Please give whoever we try your love and support....and the benefit of the doubt. They won't be Jimmy. Who could be? But he will be himself, with his own special talents and creativity. And that's all we could ever look for.
Thank you again from the bottom of our hearts for everything you've done to love and support us.
A7X"

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #74 on: December 17, 2010, 01:42:21 PM »
Nicely stated.  MP should hire their publicist. 
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #75 on: December 17, 2010, 02:10:48 PM »
Interesting statment.  Although I do think that's a bit of a poor excuse why Mike can't be in the band full time, but I guess they all have their reasons so who are we to judge. 

Looking forward to see where MP and A7X go from here.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline ClairvoyantCat

• DT is no longer Majesty.
« Reply #76 on: December 17, 2010, 02:35:11 PM »
Interesting statment.  Although I do think that's a bit of a poor excuse why Mike can't be in the band full time, but I guess they all have their reasons so who are we to judge. 

I don't believe that's the only reason.  But it's probably the only one we'll be told about, I think it's best for Mike to just move on...

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #77 on: December 17, 2010, 03:04:44 PM »

I don't believe that's the only reason.  But it's probably the only one we'll be told about, I think it's best for Mike to just move on...

Very true.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline j

« Reply #78 on: December 17, 2010, 03:15:15 PM »
Yeah that kind of diplomatic statement is much more professional.  Maybe not the whole truth, but at least no thinly-veiled insults or cheap shots.

I disagree about there being anything passive-aggressive, and think it's just the cynics reading too much into things.

I can not agree in the slightest. Come on, man, you know how personal and open Mike is. There might've been one or two things taken out of context here and there but a majority of the stuff he left on twitter had that desperate for attention vibe about it, especially that one time where he made two or three of them rapid fire. His wording, his choices of words, his constant use of "..." at the end of sentences. I hate to sound like the paranoid "cynic", if you will but there are a lot of people who read it the same exact way because, well, that's how people who like to play the victim sound like. We've all experienced it in real life, so much so that it's quite easy to call someones bluff.

Yeah.  There's definitely some over-analysis going on, but it's just completely naive to say that Portnoy hasn't made any vague passive-aggressive comments over the past months.

As for what he can do to start repairing his image, I would start with a heartfelt and humble apology, followed by shutting his e-mouth and focusing on his work and his family for awhile.

-J

Offline Bone_Daddy

« Reply #79 on: December 17, 2010, 03:33:41 PM »
but in the last few months his PR skills have been a disaster.

This.

I believe his ego is continuing to haunt him until he learns to let go and let it be.

Offline Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #80 on: December 17, 2010, 03:41:11 PM »
Come on, he's the same as us posting something the rest don't agree with.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline shadowfex

« Reply #81 on: December 17, 2010, 04:20:33 PM »
Excellent statement from Avenged Sevenfold. It makes perfect sense too. Even if Mike was getting along with the guys and having a great time, there is still an almost 20 year age gap there and, as they stated, Mike was being singled out and not being seen as part of the band. It was always going to be Avenged Sevenfold + Mike Portnoy and it really wasn't necessary. They are much better off in the long run getting a new drummer their age, calling him 'the pope' and continuing their career.
"Once he had forests and mountains that were only his - listening to him. Once he would run through the summer days catching memories for ages to come. Now he is dressing this naked floor with his flesh and blood, and time passes by. His trade of pain might just have lead him to deal with consequence for some change as time passes by"

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #82 on: December 17, 2010, 06:41:52 PM »
I disagree about there being anything passive-aggressive, and think it's just the cynics reading too much into things.

I can not agree in the slightest. Come on, man, you know how personal and open Mike is. There might've been one or two things taken out of context here and there but a majority of the stuff he left on twitter had that desperate for attention vibe about it, especially that one time where he made two or three of them rapid fire. His wording, his choices of words, his constant use of "..." at the end of sentences. I hate to sound like the paranoid "cynic", if you will but there are a lot of people who read it the same exact way because, well, that's how people who like to play the victim sound like. We've all experienced it in real life, so much so that it's quite easy to call someones bluff.
But that's pretty much why I don't agree with him being passive-aggressive. When he has a problem he pretty much comes out and says it (like with the JLB interview thing, and the recent A7X thing). MP doesn't really do subtle. :lol

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Offline MetalManiac666

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #83 on: December 17, 2010, 08:08:42 PM »
Totally don't blame them.  I would have probably done the same thing.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #84 on: December 17, 2010, 08:12:18 PM »
Come on, he's the same as us posting something the rest don't agree with.
No, he's not us, he's the thing that the us is posting about.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline ZBomber

• "The Analogy Guy"
  • A Farewell to Kings
« Reply #85 on: December 18, 2010, 03:25:33 AM »

But that's pretty much why I don't agree with him being passive-aggressive. When he has a problem he pretty much comes out and says it (like with the JLB interview thing, and the recent A7X thing). MP doesn't really do subtle. :lol

He has said in his tweets there is a problem but he couldn't "openly talk about it". And I would hardly call what he has been doing "subtle" at all, I completely agree hes acting very childish and trying to get sympathy. Honestly, when I read his tweets I think back to high school when every emo girl in my class would post things just like that trying to get people to care about them. Seems to be the same case with MP.

He really should just give up on the internet for awhile. Hes gonna be home a lot. Spend time with the family, practice, maybe jam with some friends. But he really shouldn't bring all of his emotions to the internet. Hes a professional. He knows there are thousands of people that look up to him. And what he is doing now is clearly NOT helping him out at all.