Author Topic: MP too press release happy according to Avenged Sevenfold  (Read 10964 times)

Offline Darkes7

• DTF.org Member
Re: MP too press release happy according to Avenged Sevenfold
« Reply #35 on: December 17, 2010, 09:42:47 AM »
Might be. But you know... it definitely looks hostile to me. More than ever.

Offline SnakeEyes

• Conservative Ninja, yet not mute
« Reply #36 on: December 17, 2010, 09:45:50 AM »
Um, what about the whole James LaBrie interview thing?  The one where LaBrie said he wasn't sad about Portnoy leaving, then Portnoy started deleting any threads pertaining to LaBrie, and then Labrie had to say, "Um, okay, this is what I meant," and Portnoy was like, "Errrrr.....oops, sorry, that was really lame of me to take it the wrong way."  You guys know all of this happened in PUBLIC, right?

edit..

Plus, the constant blaming of the other guys in DT and the jabs like, "I e-mailed them and I never heard back from any of them."  Does that crap really need to be all over the place?  If I were in Avenged Sevenfold, I would have done the same thing - he would have been canned a long time ago. 
Now that Obama has closed Gitmo, when will he turn his attention to the abuses and torturing of the onions that are used to make the angry whopper?

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #37 on: December 17, 2010, 09:48:39 AM »
And him having a fairly short fuse is fresh news straight from around 1995 afaik.

BTW, this can not be an excuse.

All Mike needed to do was to vent to his wife and friends. And stay out of the media for a while. That way he would have potentially left the door open to DT (which I'm sure is wedged firmly at this point) and A7X would have kept him around for the end of the tour.

rumborak
"I liked when Myung looked like a women's figure skating champion."

Offline ReaPsTA

• DT.net Veteran
  • Addicted to the pain
« Reply #38 on: December 17, 2010, 09:53:21 AM »
A thought that occurred to me.  Twice now, when leaving bands, MP released his own statement before letting the organization he was leaving release its own statement.

This means a little more than you might think.  Imagine if MP privately told the DT guys he was leaving and everyone involved had time to process it behind the scenes.  How different would all of this have played out?

Plus, the constant blaming of the other guys in DT and the jabs like, "I e-mailed them and I never heard back from any of them."  Does that crap really need to be all over the place?  If I were in Avenged Sevenfold, I would have done the same thing - he would have been canned a long time ago. 

Hm?  I haven't heard of this.
Take a chance you may die
Over and over again

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #39 on: December 17, 2010, 09:55:07 AM »
He said that in the Eddie Trunk interview, that he had sent emails to all the DT guys but still hadn't received any reply (at that point in time). It was information that really nobody needed to know, and used solely for the purpose of bad-mouthing DT members.

rumborak

Offline Perpetual Change

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #40 on: December 17, 2010, 09:56:05 AM »
Well... here's the thing. Dream Theater are way bigger than any one person. The reason people are excited about Dream Theater more than ever now is because they know that when Dream Theater rises to the challenge the results are fantastic. As much as I love the last two records, Black Clouds has really been the first one where I've felt DT were just trying to "sound like themselves." Even though it was good, I don't think they rose to the challenge or did anything new. Mike sensed DT were going through the motions and split BUT he did NOT expect Dream Theater to funnel that energy into reinventing themselves.

We're excited because DT 11 promises to be the first time since SFAM that DT have been this close to breaking "new" ground. We'd be excited anyway, but we're especially excited. We have new reason to think that DT are gonna really "wow" us.

Offline RazielSR

« Reply #41 on: December 17, 2010, 09:59:12 AM »

We're excited because DT 11 promises to be the first time since SFAM that DT have been this close to breaking "new" ground. We'd be excited anyway, but we're especially excited. We have new reason to think that DT are gonna really "wow" us.

YAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAYYYYYYYYYYYYY!!!!  :metal :metal :metal :metal :metal :metal :metal :metal :metal :metal :metal

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #42 on: December 17, 2010, 10:00:14 AM »
Might be. But you know... it definitely looks hostile to me. More than ever.
It doesn't to me.  But MP definitely seems to be doing more to add fuel to his own fire now more than ever.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #43 on: December 17, 2010, 10:02:38 AM »
Actually Rumbo, it was done to explain why he overreacted to JLB's interview. How it came across is a different matter, but he didn't just bring it up out of the blue.

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #44 on: December 17, 2010, 10:02:54 AM »
I think it is funny and quite ironic how a portion of diehard fans of Mike Portnoy always applaud the fact that he "tells it like it is" and always speaks his mind, yet when someone has the nerve to do the same thing and it somehow reflects poorly on him, they get all pissy and indignant about it, like they are a bunch of classless meanies for criticizing their beloved hero.  

Offline Darkes7

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #45 on: December 17, 2010, 10:04:20 AM »
It's one thing when "someone has the nerve to do it", and it's another when it looks like jumping on the bandwagon.

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #46 on: December 17, 2010, 10:06:49 AM »
Actually Rumbo, it was done to explain why he overreacted to JLB's interview. How it came across is a different matter, but he didn't just bring it up out of the blue.

Oh I know, but it was said in a way, just like all the other tweets and posts and interviews, that (as Hef put it) fuels the fire, where it could easily have settled a looong time ago. I mean, the guy touted himself as the PR man of Dream Theater, but in the last few months his PR skills have been a disaster.

It's one thing when "someone has the nerve to do it", and it's another when it looks like jumping on the bandwagon.

I think for the most part people simply have pulled out the stops, now that he's a "free agent" and are simply saying what had been on their mind for a long time. I certainly have always been quite critical of MP, because I think yes, Dream Theater is famous because of him, but also despite of him.

rumborak

Offline Perpetual Change

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #47 on: December 17, 2010, 10:12:11 AM »
To give Darkes some credit, I think M. Shadow's comment really was in bad taste. Sure, it was totally something Mike would have done too, but why come out and make a little jab like that? I thought Mike's relationship with the guys in A7X was so great, like "brothers," so what happened to change that?

Then again, what we know about A7X with Mike Portnoy is Mike's account. Mike getting tatted, playing golf and going to the gym with the guys doesn't necessarily signify a close relationship. Maybe Mike misinterpreted things all along. Maybe A7X knew these things about him and were waiting to see how he handled things. Maybe someone from Warner Bro's just sat M. Shadows down and said, "listen, we have another drummer we think will be better for you." The fact is, we don't really know.

Offline ReaPsTA

• DT.net Veteran
  • Addicted to the pain
« Reply #48 on: December 17, 2010, 10:15:23 AM »
Then again, what we know about A7X with Mike Portnoy is Mike's account. Mike getting tatted, playing golf and going to the gym with the guys doesn't necessarily signify a close relationship. Maybe Mike misinterpreted things all along. Maybe A7X knew these things about him and were waiting to see how he handled things. Maybe someone from Warner Bro's just sat M. Shadows down and said, "listen, we have another drummer we think will be better for you." The fact is, we don't really know.

Not the WB part, but everything else is very possible.

To give Darkes some credit, I think M. Shadow's comment really was in bad taste. Sure, it was totally something Mike would have done too, but why come out and make a little jab like that? I thought Mike's relationship with the guys in A7X was so great, like "brothers," so what happened to change that?

The more we find out about this whole drama, the uglier it turns out to be.  At this point, if you assume the worst possible scenario in reason when it comes to what's happening behind the scenes, you probably won't end up being wrong.
Over and over again

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #49 on: December 17, 2010, 10:17:55 AM »
To give Darkes some credit, I think M. Shadow's comment really was in bad taste. Sure, it was totally something Mike would have done too, but why come out and make a little jab like that?

Here's one possible scenario (obviously speculation, but quite likely):
- A7X tells Mike they won't continue with him
- Mike goes on Twitter, writes "what have I learned today? That you can't trust anybody but family"
- M. Shadow sees the tweet
- M. Shadow is pissed off about the side jab, gives press release about the reason

rumborak

Offline Darkes7

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #50 on: December 17, 2010, 10:21:41 AM »
Well, it's not that it was in a bad taste in my opinion, but simply I find it quite weird and can't see the possible cause why it suddenly changed. And whatever he's done and it may be wrong, I just can't help feeling sorry for MP and the now really shitty situation he's in. He caused some of it... but not all of it was deserved and I'm certain of that.

Online Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #51 on: December 17, 2010, 10:23:45 AM »
Again, people over analyzing. This is starting to get annoying. Every other thread someone posts a tweet or something and it starts a MP war. Bosk should just do what he suggested, close all discussion on MP bashing until the new drummer is announced, or keep it all in the MP thread.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #52 on: December 17, 2010, 10:26:51 AM »
I seriously and honestly can't think of anybody else whose fault it could be. Dream Theater had nothing but praises really. JP said it would be ridiculous to assume that they would never play again with Mike, JR was always courteous and had sad videos about the departure, and JLB's only "fault" was not to hide more how excited he was about the new challenges posed to DT. A7X was, I am certain, initially intending to keep Mike around for the whole tour.

Honestly, if this wasn't MP, I heavily suspect you would too say "Holy shit, that guy dug himself one hell of a hole!"

You know what the real solution is? Take a big sledgehammer, pile MP's laptop and Blackberry on top of each other, and slam down on them. He said he was going to abstain from posting, but look how long that lasted.

rumborak

Offline RazielSR

« Reply #53 on: December 17, 2010, 10:30:53 AM »
I think it is funny and quite ironic how a portion of diehard fans of Mike Portnoy always applaud the fact that he "tells it like it is" and always speaks his mind, yet when someone has the nerve to do the same thing and it somehow reflects poorly on him, they get all pissy and indignant about it, like they are a bunch of classless meanies for criticizing their beloved hero.  

And I have to say (not joking) that this makes a lot of sense, you are completely right.

Offline Darkes7

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #54 on: December 17, 2010, 10:32:10 AM »
I seriously and honestly can't think of anybody else whose fault it could be. Dream Theater had nothing but praises really. JP said it would be ridiculous to assume that they would never play again with Mike, JR was always courteous and had sad videos about the departure, and JLB's only "fault" was not to hide more how excited he was about the new challenges posed to DT. A7X was, I am certain, initially intending to keep Mike around for the whole tour.

Honestly, if this wasn't MP, I heavily suspect you would too say "Holy shit, that guy dug himself one hell of a hole!"

You know what the real solution is? Take a big sledgehammer, pile MP's laptop and Blackberry on top of each other, and slam down on them. He said he was going to abstain from posting, but look how long that lasted.

rumborak

Some things just happen without someone's bad will or something similar... and the ever-awesome Internet can help get the ball rolling quite easily. You are right it would have been better if he simply ignored it altogether and didn't post at all, but well... It may sound strange but I think I'm a very similar type of person to him in this regard and I know it really _is_ damn hard to keep it inside sometimes.

And I have to say (not joking) that this makes a lot of sense, you are completely right.
Read my post above about it.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #55 on: December 17, 2010, 10:40:37 AM »
He caused some of it...
He caused all of it.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline skydivingninja

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #56 on: December 17, 2010, 10:43:17 AM »
I was actually thinking, trying to give Portnoy some benefit of the doubt, or find an instance where things went sour that wasn't his fault, and I can't seem to find one.  So while I feel bad for Portnoy for not being able to stay on with A7X through the next year, if A7X wasn't cool with what he was doing then that's unfortunately his fault.  I still can't believe he fell for Blabbermouth's BS about James, either.  So yeah, Hef's pretty much on the money.

Offline emindead

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #57 on: December 17, 2010, 10:57:15 AM »
Well I don't think they're firing him simply for the DT situation. As Mike himself said, the original plan was for him to just play through the year anyways.
That's exactly what I thought... until I read A7X press release.

I mean, being MP right now... ouch.

Offline emindead

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #58 on: December 17, 2010, 11:00:33 AM »
To give Darkes some credit, I think M. Shadow's comment really was in bad taste. Sure, it was totally something Mike would have done too, but why come out and make a little jab like that?

Here's one possible scenario (obviously speculation, but quite likely):
- A7X tells Mike they won't continue with him
- Mike goes on Twitter, writes "what have I learned today? That you can't trust anybody but family"
- M. Shadow sees the tweet
- M. Shadow is pissed off about the side jab, gives press release about the reason

rumborak
I wanna make an ammend to your post:

-M. Shadow sees the tweet
-M. Shadow sees MP press release
-M. Shadow is pissed...

Offline snowdog

« Reply #59 on: December 17, 2010, 11:02:22 AM »
I totally agree.  The drama on his site is really messed up.

Offline ClairvoyantCat

• DT is no longer Majesty.
« Reply #60 on: December 17, 2010, 11:04:51 AM »
Seriously, if the members really thought that things would work out really well with Portnoy, they would overlook a little bad publicity.  

Obviously they were already on thin ice, probably over creative differences.  A

Offline Heretic

• hold your head up high
  • DTF.org Member
  • never give up, never give in
« Reply #61 on: December 17, 2010, 11:08:22 AM »
I agree that Mike has been a bit dramatic about all of this, posting constant updates to his Twitter and Facebook, especially the ones about being sad and ones that caused unnecessary drama and hatred towards Mike and A7X. If I was the band, I'd be a bit ticked off to. Besides, Mike has always been the kind of guy who likes to be in charge, there's a huge age difference, and I'm certain there were other relations we didn't know about...

Nothing left now but just to wait for an actual official statement, since Blabbermouth isn't the greatest source. I just hope relations get mended and everything goes back to normal so we can go back to discussing the music rather than speculating about the ceaseless drama.

Offline ClairvoyantCat

• DT is no longer Majesty.
« Reply #62 on: December 17, 2010, 11:15:37 AM »
I agree that Mike has been a bit dramatic about all of this, posting constant updates to his Twitter and Facebook, especially the ones about being sad and ones that caused unnecessary drama and hatred towards Mike and A7X. If I was the band, I'd be a bit ticked off to. Besides, Mike has always been the kind of guy who likes to be in charge, there's a huge age difference, and I'm certain there were other relations we didn't know about...

Nothing left now but just to wait for an actual official statement, since Blabbermouth isn't the greatest source. I just hope relations get mended and everything goes back to normal so we can go back to discussing the music rather than speculating about the ceaseless drama.

There's one from Portnoy himself on his forum.  He didn't mention why, and I don't expect he ever will for obvious reasons.  So I think this is the most we'll get. 

Offline ReaPsTA

• DT.net Veteran
  • Addicted to the pain
« Reply #63 on: December 17, 2010, 11:16:47 AM »
Question:  What does MP do RIGHT NOW to start rehabilitating his image.  I'm not talking about personal change over time and the long term results of that.  I mean, surely to god MP's thought process has to be something along the lines of "I'm hemorrhaging away my whole fan base, I'm out of the AX7 family, there's no way I'm getting back into Dream Theater, the Morse/Morse/LaRue project is months away.  I need something to stop this."

Ideas:

- Apologize to his fans for locking down the forum when it came to censoring JLB related material.  Throughout all this ridiculousness, MP hasn't done anything weird with fans at signings, and in both his resignation letters made it a point to thank the fans for their support.  There's no need to let these things linger.  If he apologizes and re-opens certain topics for discussion, it will go a long way.  His fans will believe he's genuine.

- Make Facebook/Twitter/The Forum more appealing for any new fans again.  Remember when MP's Facebook page looked super professional with up to date news and Tweets about the cool stuff he was doing on the road?  I'm not saying we need all that back, because it's not fair to him, but professionalism needs to be restored.  Right now it's about zero percent inviting.

- Let the Morse/Morse/LaRue project speak for itself at first.  Unfortunately, Portnoy's kinda entered this Ron Artest place where anything he does puts your hair on end.  So rather than talk a lot about the project, he should just let it happen and reserve any announcements about it for basic things such as release dates and possible concert dates.  This is a bit into the future, I know, but I can totally imagine reading a post like "Beginning new musical relationships in the studio this January.  I hope these will be built on real trust and openness" or something like that.

- I'd probably throw out somehow that MP not relapsing back into alcohol if that's the truth.  It's a bit of a reassurance he isn't going crazy.
Over and over again

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #64 on: December 17, 2010, 11:23:21 AM »
Take the wife and kids to Maui for a month and stay the fuck off the internets. 

Regardless, I'm astonished at how much people are reading into a very brief soundbite, devoid of any context.  The fact is, we really don't know what the dynamics are with MP's professional relationships.  It's just 7 degrees of speculation here.

This whole thing is pretty silly. 
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline EPICVIEW

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #65 on: December 17, 2010, 11:37:13 AM »
Take the wife and kids to Maui for a month and stay the fuck off the internets. 

Regardless, I'm astonished at how much people are reading into a very brief soundbite, devoid of any context.  The fact is, we really don't know what the dynamics are with MP's professional relationships.  It's just 7 degrees of speculation here.

This whole thing is pretty silly. 

I agree.^

I still support Mike, and again wish him happiness, he is not perfect, and I have no issue with him wearing his heart on his sleave
"its so relieving to know that your leaving as soon as you get paid, Its so relaxing to know that your asking now that you got your way"

Offline ReaPsTA

• DT.net Veteran
  • Addicted to the pain
« Reply #66 on: December 17, 2010, 11:43:14 AM »
By the way, does anyone have the audio of the Eddie Trunk interview?

I still support Mike, and again wish him happiness, he is not perfect, and I have no issue with him wearing his heart on his sleave

Yeah.

As strange as this sounds, the Classic Rock Prog interview didn't bother me in a way.  He said what he felt and just let it hang out there.

What bothers me more is when he expects other people (the band/his fans) to fall in line with his emotions and then takes personal offense when they don't.
Over and over again

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #67 on: December 17, 2010, 11:50:24 AM »
I really hope for Mike that he's not the same personality than a guy I know who I (sadly) get reminded of regularly when I see this stuff. In a situation like this, the guy's natural reaction is to dig his heels into the ground and adopt a "me against them" mentality, escalating it more and more if he sees whatever he's doing doesn't work out. Hopefully MP gets the drift that, no matter whether he thinks he's in the right or not, whatever he's been doing so far is not working out, at all, and that salvaging the situation is more important than getting what he thinks he deserves.

rumborak

Offline John94

« Reply #68 on: December 17, 2010, 12:31:47 PM »
He could show more gratitude for Mike. Ungrateful so and so.

Offline orcus116

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #69 on: December 17, 2010, 12:43:33 PM »
I disagree about there being anything passive-aggressive, and think it's just the cynics reading too much into things.

I can not agree in the slightest. Come on, man, you know how personal and open Mike is. There might've been one or two things taken out of context here and there but a majority of the stuff he left on twitter had that desperate for attention vibe about it, especially that one time where he made two or three of them rapid fire. His wording, his choices of words, his constant use of "..." at the end of sentences. I hate to sound like the paranoid "cynic", if you will but there are a lot of people who read it the same exact way because, well, that's how people who like to play the victim sound like. We've all experienced it in real life, so much so that it's quite easy to call someones bluff.