Author Topic: MP too press release happy according to Avenged Sevenfold  (Read 10965 times)

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
MP too press release happy according to Avenged Sevenfold
« on: December 17, 2010, 05:12:45 AM »
I'm really sorry if this has been posted but I looked and didn't seem to find it.  Apologies if this is in the wrong thread also.  Mods if it's already been posted please lock this.

https://www.roadrunnerrecords.com/blabbermouth.net/news.aspx?mode=Article&newsitemID=151067

AVENGED SEVENFOLD frontman M. Shadows told The Pulse Of Radio that the band was not happy about the public way in which drummer Mike Portnoy's split with his former group DREAM THEATER was played out, which may have soured Portnoy's relationship with AVENGED, ultimately causing his departure from the Orange County, California-based act.

"We were actually a little more shocked," M. Shadows said. "We felt that maybe both parties could have handled it a little more internally without being so press release-happy about what had happened between them. Because we're a band that, really, when it comes to news all over web sites or this or that about bands, you know, we don't tweet much, we don't try to put ourselves out that much, and all the drama and controversy wasn't something that we wanted at all."
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline Perpetual Change

• DTF.org Alumni
Re: MP too press release happy according to Avenged Sevenfold
« Reply #1 on: December 17, 2010, 05:17:52 AM »
Good for those guys, honestly. And they said "both parties," but you could tell they really meant "Mike."

Mike's great and I love him, but it looks like this time his mouth lost him him a job. I'm sure he'll take that into consideration and come out all the better for it.

Offline Ultimetalhead

• The Mighty Masturbator
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • .ay rof dab s'ti dna...
« Reply #2 on: December 17, 2010, 05:18:35 AM »
Honestly, good for them. MP was extremely "oh, woe is me" about it, and even if that was just an excuse to get rid of him so THEY can move on, it's certainly a viable one.

Also, this thread title makes absolutely NO fucking sense.  :lol
Orion....that's the one with a bunch of power chords and boringly harsh vocals, isn't it?
LOOK AT THIS AWESOME SHIT AHHHHHH

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3 on: December 17, 2010, 05:23:27 AM »
Honestly, good for them. MP was extremely "oh, woe is me" about it, and even if that was just an excuse to get rid of him so THEY can move on, it's certainly a viable one.

Also, this thread title makes absolutely NO fucking sense.  :lol

I just took it from the Blabbermouth headline.....oh, maybe that's where I went wrong.  :(
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #4 on: December 17, 2010, 05:25:38 AM »
The A7X singer probably didn't all of this attention carrying on. But really, when you get right down to it, both MP and DT only put out ONE official statement each.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Perpetual Change

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5 on: December 17, 2010, 05:33:34 AM »
Yeah and, frankly, maybe they didn't like all the attention Mike was generating via his twitter? Intentional or not, Mike, a hired gun, was becoming the public 'face' of A7X and if you check out their sites, he was actually winning over fans too. Magazines and sites were treating him like the full time drummer. Fans were too, if they weren't going as far as to treat him like God's gift to the band. The way Mike was being treated in A7X was, quite honestly, similar to the way he was being treated in DT circa 2000, like a god amongst men and hero. The media and fans assumptions on Mike's role in the band were becoming more real than anything the band had officially decided. A7X may have felt themselves losing some control over their image and their publicity. And hell, maybe at the end of the day those guys want someone who's going to get stoned with them on the tour bus. Who knows?

But here's another thing worth considering. Blabbermouth, the ones who've made such a massive deal about this, are RoadRunner's mouthpiece. And yet they're THE site for metal news in a lot of ways. Dream Theater are under Roadrunner's banner. So, *surprise*. Anyway Blabbermouth can hype up Dream Theater and glean publicity off something as stupid as Mike's forum posts is going to be utilized. And, at the end, it's going to be DT who get painted as the good guys, and A7X and MP who get made out to be the thieves.

The publicity, in fact, has been tremendous. Check this out:

See the hump all the way to the right called "E"? That's Mike quitting. "C" is black clouds. The hump right over the 2007 mark is Systematic Chaos. What's more astounding is the news reference volume below. This is the MOST publicity DT have gotten from the media since the dawn on the internet, more so than ANY new album. That, my friends, is crazy.

Basically, according to people's searches, Blabbermouth have managed to blow Mike leaving Dream Theater into Dream Theater having a new album out publicity-wise.
« Last Edit: December 17, 2010, 05:41:19 AM by Perpetual Change »

Offline RazielSR

« Reply #6 on: December 17, 2010, 05:39:00 AM »
Ooooh...the new girlfriend is not in love anymore...

More things coming, as I said some time ago here and people was bashing me.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #7 on: December 17, 2010, 05:47:47 AM »
A7X may have felt themselves losing some control over their image and their publicity.

Definitely something to think about.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline blackngold29

« Reply #8 on: December 17, 2010, 06:02:39 AM »
In a way it's good to see a younger guy taking that viewpoint, but at the same time the whole "we don't tweet much, we don't try to put ourselves out that much" section is relative. MP can do it if he wants. People who tend to be more open and forthcoming via the internet tend to be better-viewed in the eyes of the public, but MP hasn't always made his statements clear enough.

There's no way that perceptions of JP and JR haven't changed for the positive since they started using twitter/facebook.

Offline Super Dude

• Hero of Prog
  • DTF.com Member
« Reply #9 on: December 17, 2010, 06:16:32 AM »
In a way it's good to see a younger guy taking that viewpoint, but at the same time the whole "we don't tweet much, we don't try to put ourselves out that much" section is relative. MP can do it if he wants. People who tend to be more open and forthcoming via the internet tend to be better-viewed in the eyes of the public, but MP hasn't always made his statements clear enough.

There's no way that perceptions of JP and JR haven't changed for the positive since they started using twitter/facebook.

I think their point is just that they don't like to publicize the inner workings of the band as much and open the world to their inner drama, not to say that it's a good or bad thing.
Quote from: bosk1
As frequently happens, Super Dude nailed it.
:superdude:

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #10 on: December 17, 2010, 07:19:28 AM »
A7X may have felt themselves losing some control over their image and their publicity.

Definitely something to think about.
Yeah that's a really interesting point actually.

Anyway, this doesn't really belong on DT-side. I'd merge it into a thread but I think it sits somewhere between the MP thread and A7X threads, so let's keep it separate, but I'll move it over to GMD.

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Offline ReaPsTA

• DT.net Veteran
  • Addicted to the pain
« Reply #11 on: December 17, 2010, 07:30:32 AM »
Honestly, did anyone not see something like this coming?

The A7X singer probably didn't all of this attention carrying on. But really, when you get right down to it, both MP and DT only put out ONE official statement each.

Not quite.  Everyone involved Tweeted a lot about it and gave a lot of interviews, including the Classic Rock Magazine interview, which I think stirred up the pot quite a bit.

Good for those guys, honestly. And they said "both parties," but you could tell they really meant "Mike."

I'm not sure about that.  When The Rev died AX7 released one statement then went into almost complete press lock down for quite a while.  I can see AX7 looking at everything and finding it off-putting.

Mike's great and I love him, but it looks like this time his mouth lost him him a job. I'm sure he'll take that into consideration and come out all the better for it.

Yeah...  I hope so.
« Last Edit: December 17, 2010, 07:36:28 AM by ReaPsTA »
Take a chance you may die
Over and over again

Offline Mebert78

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #12 on: December 17, 2010, 07:34:44 AM »
I think this thread should be in the DT section.  It's very much about DT.
An unofficial online community for fans of keyboardist Kevin Moore (ex-Dream Theater, Chroma Key, OSI):

Offline ClairvoyantCat

• DT is no longer Majesty.
« Reply #13 on: December 17, 2010, 08:01:16 AM »
I had a feeling that if it wouldn't be this it would be something else.  I mean, obviously Mike doesn't exactly fit in to the band on a number of levels, and creative differences would definitely occur.  And Mike isn't one to sit behind a drum kit and let the other members have creative control.  The bad press was probably the straw that broke the camel's back. 

Offline Perpetual Change

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #14 on: December 17, 2010, 08:06:12 AM »
Here's something to consider, keeping in line with the way over-baked "relationship" metaphor: how long would you stay with your new significant other if they spent half of your time together whining about their old relationship?
« Last Edit: December 17, 2010, 08:21:14 AM by Perpetual Change »

Offline Scard

• Custom Title
  • RORORO
« Reply #15 on: December 17, 2010, 08:19:57 AM »
I loled

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #16 on: December 17, 2010, 08:35:44 AM »
Whoa, exactly as I called it.

rumborak
"I liked when Myung looked like a women's figure skating champion."

Offline Darkes7

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #17 on: December 17, 2010, 08:40:28 AM »
Trend for december 2010: bashing Mike Portnoy.

Sorry but I'm kinda sick of this.

Offline Perpetual Change

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #18 on: December 17, 2010, 08:46:29 AM »

Sounds like a personal problem to me as there's very little bashing going on, if any at all.

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #19 on: December 17, 2010, 08:47:23 AM »
For one thing, we're not seeing any context here.  He didn't say "we didn't want him in the band because of his outspoken persona."  This was apparently just a response to "what'd ya think about that whole DT break up thing?"  I don't have audio here, so if I'm wrong about that, someone will let me know.

My bigger concern is about MP's reputation.  I used the Randy Moss analogy yesterday, and that seems pretty apt.  Reputations are a bitch to shake.  Anytime Moss doesn't work out with a team, it's always because he's a pain in the ass; it's never the team's fault.  I suspect that Portnoy will have similar issues.  People are always going to read things into situations, and now that Portnoy has established himself as a PITA, I don't think he's going to get past that anytime soon.  
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline Darkes7

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #20 on: December 17, 2010, 09:04:34 AM »

Sounds like a personal problem to me as there's very little bashing going on, if any at all.
Sure? All I see is comments about how terribly evil he is, it's already changed from "interested what will happen now" to "GTFO AND NEVER THINK ABOUT COMING BACK TO DT", and he's making a drama because how dare he say what he feels about what happened.

And now 90% concern only about what he did wrong, and only TAC mentioned that well... A7X seem to have exaggerated it, and quite a lot, because neither MP or DT were more open/dramatic/whatever about it than most bands would be. Everyone quickly knew he left, but that's it. No drama I've noticed.

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #21 on: December 17, 2010, 09:10:08 AM »
Well he's tweeted here and there about how sad he feels about the situation, etc. Nothing huge to be honest, but as Shadows said, it's not really their style to be tweeting their thoughts and feelings all the time.

I be am boner inducing.

Offline Darkes7

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #22 on: December 17, 2010, 09:12:24 AM »
I've obviously no idea how it looked on the inside, but the first question that comes to my mind, is why the hell they're immediately firing him instead of telling him earlier they don't like this.

Offline Sigz

• BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD
  • DTF.org Member
  • THRONES FOR THE THRONE SKULL
« Reply #23 on: December 17, 2010, 09:13:36 AM »
Well I don't think they're firing him simply for the DT situation. As Mike himself said, the original plan was for him to just play through the year anyways.
The world is a stage, but the play is badly cast.

Offline ClairvoyantCat

« Reply #24 on: December 17, 2010, 09:13:48 AM »
I've obviously no idea how it looked on the inside, but the first question that comes to my mind, is why the hell they're immediately firing him instead of telling him earlier they don't like this.

Well how do you know that they didn't?

Offline Dr. DTVT

• DTF's resident Mad Scientist
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • What's your favorite planet? Mine's the Sun!
« Reply #25 on: December 17, 2010, 09:15:03 AM »
Well, I don't think he realizes it, but MP is getting what he said he wanted...time off.  No more A7X and Transatlantic touring, no DT album to write...he should really take a vacation.  There will always be some music project for him to work on when he wants.  Otherwise this just becomes another "be careful what you wish for" scenario.

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #26 on: December 17, 2010, 09:15:34 AM »

This is all Mike's fault, I'm sorry. DT handled the parting very courteously, and had only nice things to say. Mike instead stirred up shit with his statements and his tweets, where he could have let the matter settle quietly. Regarding A7X, I completely understand that they were sick of this shit going on and being dragged into it. They already had enough unfavorably publicity with the Rev dying, they clearly had no interest in putting up with Mike's antics.

rumborak
"I liked when Myung looked like a women's figure skating champion."

Offline Perpetual Change

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #27 on: December 17, 2010, 09:16:21 AM »

Sure? All I see is comments about how terribly evil he is, it's already changed from "interested what will happen now" to "GTFO AND NEVER THINK ABOUT COMING BACK TO DT", and he's making a drama because how dare he say what he feels about what happened.

And now 90% concern only about what he did wrong, and only TAC mentioned that well... A7X seem to have exaggerated it, and quite a lot, because neither MP or DT were more open/dramatic/whatever about it than most bands would be. Everyone quickly knew he left, but that's it. No drama I've noticed.

I'm not sure what you're getting at here. No-one has called MP "evil." In fact, people have been pretty fair since the new news dropped. You can defend MP's every move all you want, but the fact is M. Shadows had now admitted that they're not going to keep Portnoy on-board after this year BECAUSE of the very type of behavior that he's criticized for everywhere. I think it's a lot more reasonable to assume that maybe Mike has some learning to do than it is to assume that his die-hard fans at the Dream Theater forum suddenly just want an excuse to hate him.

Offline j

« Reply #28 on: December 17, 2010, 09:16:28 AM »
Interesting news.  I feel bad for the guy, he's going through some tough stuff.  But of course, he's largely responsible for a lot of it, and he's handled it pretty poorly thus far.

Portnoy has been passive-aggressively posting and tweeting and facebooking since it first went down.  If not for all that stuff, I suspect the general "buzz" would have been quite a bit lower and definitely FAR less negative.

-J

EDIT: Can't listen to the audio now, but in that excerpt I didn't notice them throwing MP a "thank you" or anything for what he did for them.
« Last Edit: December 17, 2010, 09:37:48 AM by j »

Offline Darkes7

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #29 on: December 17, 2010, 09:27:12 AM »
I started with one quote and every time I try to post it keeps growing...

...but since MP seems to be rather a kind of "in the face" person rather than one for scheming and whatever, I don't think he would ignore what they say and then claim he can't trust anyone. Maybe my logic fails somewhere but that's how I see it.

This is all Mike's fault, I'm sorry. DT handled the parting very courteously, and had only nice things to say. Mike instead stirred up shit with his statements and his tweets, where he could have let the matter settle quietly. Regarding A7X, I completely understand that they were sick of this shit going on and being dragged into it. They already had enough unfavorably publicity with the Rev dying, they clearly had no interest in putting up with Mike's antics.

rumborak
Because they had a completely different point of view. The rest of DT is clearly feeling very well and ready to move forward. MP was, and is, clearly very tired. What I find extremely annoying is that he's being bashed (no other word for this, sorry) for doing things which I believe every normal person should be able to understand at least to a certain point. And him having a fairly short fuse is fresh news straight from around 1995 afaik.

As for A7X, look above.

I'm not sure what you're getting at here. No-one has called MP "evil." In fact, people have been pretty fair since the new news dropped. You can defend MP's every move all you want, but the fact is M. Shadows had now admitted that they're not going to keep Portnoy on-board after this year BECAUSE of the very type of behavior that he's criticized for everywhere. I think it's a lot more reasonable to assume that maybe Mike has some learning to do than it is to assume that his die-hard fans at the Dream Theater forum suddenly just want an excuse to hate him.
I mean the general attitude towards him I see. It's not just this thread, earlier was the same. It's just now that I start to find it really annoying and maybe a bit too emotional, sorry for that. It's especially the sudden change of how until not so long ago people just criticised some things he does a bit, then it was that they were surprised and simply interested to see what will happen, and now I see it's straightforward "we don't want him back in DT" and still getting worse.

No idea what you think about that, but I've always been a fan of the entire DT... Not 4/5 of DT. And it remains like that, I guess it'll have to be 6/5 of DT soon. He didn't handle it flawlessly, but I know perfectly that you don't exactly follow strict mathematics when you're annoyed and exhausted, and that seems to be what MP is now...

Interesting news.  I feel bad for the guy, he's going through some tough stuff.  But of course, he's largely responsible for a lot of it, and he's handled it pretty poorly thus far.

Portnoy has been passive-aggressively posting and tweeting and facebooking since it first went down.  If not for all that stuff, I suspect the general "buzz" would have been quite a bit lower and definitely FAR less negative.

-J
I just feel it was really much less than people make it to be...

Offline wkiml

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #30 on: December 17, 2010, 09:27:48 AM »
Well, I don't think he realizes it, but MP is getting what he said he wanted...time off.  No more A7X and Transatlantic touring, no DT album to write...he should really take a vacation.  There will always be some music project for him to work on when he wants.  Otherwise this just becomes another "be careful what you wish for" scenario.

Maybe I'm wrong, but Mike didn't say he wanted time off  from music, he just felt he needed time off from DT. but that being sent, now he has all the time in the world to start on another project if he likes
Quote from: senecadawg2 on July 17, 2012, 10:54:32 PM
In defense of peanut butter...

try getting the neighbor's dog to lick your balls with a spoonful of chummus.

Offline ClairvoyantCat

« Reply #31 on: December 17, 2010, 09:33:55 AM »
I started with one quote and every time I try to post it keeps growing...

...but since MP seems to be rather a kind of "in the face" person rather than one for scheming and whatever, I don't think he would ignore what they say and then claim he can't trust anyone. Maybe my logic fails somewhere but that's how I see it.

Hmmm.. 
I think Portnoy was aware of the general disapproval of his statements, if not from Avenged Sevenfold themselves then from the fans.  I don't think he was scheming, I think exactly the opposite.  He was going through a rough emotional patch and refusing to pay attention to the fact that he was in a new band who did not enjoy his repeated reopening of old wounds.

In other words, maybe they didn't say "stop this or your out of the band" but I don't think he was possibly unaware of their disapproval. 

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #32 on: December 17, 2010, 09:38:53 AM »
I disagree about there being anything passive-aggressive, and think it's just the cynics reading too much into things.

But MP did react badly to that interview JLB did purely because of a misunderstanding after reading a Blabbermouth headline, which is pretty poor form of him considering how much he has criticised Blabbermouth's shit-stirring in the past!

Other than that, I think it's just that he posts his feelings about it all the time, which is something A7X don't want to deal with.

I be am boner inducing.

Offline Perpetual Change

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #33 on: December 17, 2010, 09:40:23 AM »
Darkes, I think you're making what people are saying out to be way more hostile than it is.

Offline zerogravityfat

• DTF.org Alumni
  • There can be only one.
« Reply #34 on: December 17, 2010, 09:42:09 AM »

To be fair, MP is a control freak, so DT are better off and A7X know they are in for it too if they let him stay, hence the end of his time with them.
DTF.  More reliable than the AP since 2009. -millahh