Author Topic: The Oasis Thread.  (Read 21173 times)

Xanthul and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
Re: The Oasis Thread.
« Reply #70 on: March 26, 2015, 01:16:26 PM »
Four kids with 4 different mothers. 2 of whom were extra-marital.

Confirmed for C*nt.

Offline dparrott

« Reply #71 on: March 27, 2015, 05:26:08 PM »
Just thinking that some of my favorite Oasis songs are ones that are only in demo form: Colour My Life, Take Me, I Will Show You, etc.  Colour My Life definitely should have been at least a b-side.
"I don't know nuttin about nuttin" - Marshawn Lynch

The very soul of what was once real music is now lost in a digital quagmire of emotionless sonic madness.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #72 on: March 27, 2015, 08:03:13 PM »
Take Me Away was pretty poor though. Terrible lyrics even for back then.

Noel has got some great lyrics in him ( Masterplan ). But most of Be Here Now seemed to be just " fuck it - that rhymes " :p

The song Be Here Now especially. Not one lyric in that song makes any sense at all.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #73 on: March 27, 2015, 08:41:35 PM »
Liam Gallagher fined £3,300 for missing child support hearing again

Mega C*nt.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #74 on: August 25, 2016, 04:06:23 PM »
Liam Gallagher confirms solo album.

:rollin :rollin

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #75 on: August 26, 2016, 07:12:00 AM »
Ghorbani has said that the singer has never even met the little girl.

He had his tryst with Ghorbani in 2010, when she was writing a story about him for the New York Times.

That makes me sad.  He IS a c**t, but it's inappropriate for a writer to sleep with their subject, so it's not as if she has completely clean hands here.   Still, doesn't excuse that after that pregnancy test, all that shit has to go out the window, and the child has to come first.   

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #76 on: August 26, 2016, 09:29:29 AM »
Liam is just a terrible person.

He's just a thug who got lucky.

His solo album is going to be hilariously shit. I cannot wait to hear how bad it is.

Offline goo-goo

« Reply #77 on: August 27, 2016, 09:07:13 AM »
Liam is just a terrible person.

He's just a thug who got lucky.

His solo album is going to be hilariously shit. I cannot wait to hear how bad it is.

I thought Beady Eye was his solo outing  :lol I was massively disappointed with Beady Eye.

By the way, is it worth getting the Oasis remasters?

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #78 on: August 27, 2016, 10:01:05 AM »
I've not heard them. I'd be interested in what they do with Be Here Now. If anything they should UN master it.

EDIT : Actually I just remembered I OWN the Morning Glory 3CD reissue :lol

Offline dparrott

« Reply #79 on: August 27, 2016, 06:49:40 PM »
"I'm a c**t" should be his album title!

The very soul of what was once real music is now lost in a digital quagmire of emotionless sonic madness.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #80 on: August 28, 2016, 09:12:53 AM »
"I'm a c**t" should be his album title!

Fact.

" Do a solo album ? No way. I'm not a C**t "

Well Liam it seems you are. And always have been. And ungrateful. And bitter. And arrogant. And talentless.

Liam is unbelievably ungrateful for Noel for single handedly making him a millionaire. Noel wrote the first 3 albums and B Sides that basically made them HUGE.

All Liam had to do was turn up to the gigs and "vocalise" into a mic. That's all he was required to do. His brother made him a millionaire from his ability to be at a place and make noises into a mic.

I don't think i've ever once read Liam say how grateful he is to Noel for that. Not once. Then in the years after Noel quit Oasis - All Liam did in the press was badmouth everything Noel did.

Noel wisely took the high road and didn't lower himself to it. He even said Beady Eye were alright.

I badly want his solo album to fail.  :tdwn

I even read a comment on an oasis pic online that " Noel is ungrateful to Liam for quitting oasis when it was Liam's voice that made Noel a millionaire "

:rollin. Yeah that same voice that made Beady Eye massive...oh wait it was the songs wasn't it.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #81 on: August 28, 2016, 10:18:25 AM »
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jyJU2136ym4

D'You Know What I Mean video HD Remaster with new grade and edited to Noel's remix of the track.

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
  • Bouncing around the room
« Reply #82 on: September 06, 2017, 05:19:25 AM »
Been listening a lot to Oasis lately, amazing band at their peak I must say.

Morning Glory is a 5/5, Definitely Maybe just slightly below (still amazing), The Masterplan is a superb collection of B-Sides that is almost as good as those two albums, and I even really like Be Here Now, in all its coke weirdness.

Gonna move forward chronologically but just wanted to share the love.

Online Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #83 on: September 06, 2017, 05:25:13 AM »
I agree with all you said. Morning Glory is a masterpiece, Definitely Maybe is just a notch below for me too. The Masterplan has lots of brilliant tracks. Be Here Now is pretty good too, although quite overblown in places.

Have fun moving on chronologically - but beware, the best stuff stops there :P
Zydar is my new hero.  I just laughed so hard I nearly shat.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #84 on: September 06, 2017, 05:32:20 AM »
I agree with all you said. Morning Glory is a masterpiece, Definitely Maybe is just a notch below for me too. The Masterplan has lots of brilliant tracks. Be Here Now is pretty good too, although quite overblown in places.

True, but I really liked Don't Believe the Truth.  That had some really good stuff on it.

Be Here Now was always my fav to be honest.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #85 on: September 06, 2017, 07:22:13 AM »

Disagree strongly.

I think there are some brilliant moments on "Standing..." (even if Noel himself has slagged it) and I REALLY like Dig Out Your Soul.  If they ended at "Don't Believe the Truth", I could reasonably say "it was time".   But I really liked the last one and was sad that it imploded. 

Online Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #86 on: September 06, 2017, 07:27:48 AM »
Agree to disagree. There are some good stuff spread out over the rest of the albums, and I do enjoy Don't Believe The Truth. But for me there was a steep decline in quality after The Masterplan.

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #87 on: September 06, 2017, 12:00:04 PM »
Yeah I've heard the quality drops but even so, if there are a few good tracks on each album then there's magic left to find. I will say, I'm curious regarding Be Here Now how the album would have been received if it had similar production/mix to the first two albums. Listening to it, it's almost mind boggling how many layers of guitars they crammed into it. I mean I still think it's a great album, but it's really loud and would have been interesting to hear it but in the sound of Definitely Maybe or Morning Glory.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #88 on: September 06, 2017, 12:43:58 PM »
I'm biased, but for my money, the quality of the record is DIRECTLY tied to how much Noel wrote. 

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #89 on: October 04, 2017, 07:50:28 AM »
Been moving onto Standing on the Shoulder of Giants, and it's alright. While I agree that the quality has dropped from Be Here Now (which in itself was a drop from Morning Glory), I don't think it's BAD. Most of these songs sound like passable Oasis B-sides with a few highlights to give some excitement during a listen. I would say the two standouts for me are "Go Let it Out" which is really catchy and has some nice melodies, and "Gas Panic!" which reminds me a bit of Columbia, one of my favorite Oasis songs. It doesn't quite reach that level, but has a similar way of packing a lot of atmosphere in the guitars. I think for the most part it's a decent album, but put it up against their really good albums and obviously it pales.

Online Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #90 on: October 04, 2017, 08:15:13 AM »
My personal favourite on that album is the closer, Roll It Over. It's big and epic, with some fine choirs. There's some nice B sides from that period too - Let's All Make Believe is great.

Offline Dave_Manchester

« Reply #91 on: October 04, 2017, 03:32:12 PM »
Yeah, this album could so nearly have been another classic if they'd included 3 of the b-sides (Let's All Make Believe, One Way Road and the beautiful Carry Us All) and left the awful Little James off it. There's some great material on this one, my personal favourite (of the tracks they actually included) being Sunday Morning Call.

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #92 on: October 04, 2017, 11:21:34 PM »
Oh yeah, Roll it Over is great too. As for Little James, I'm torn on it. I think musically it's pretty good but lyrically it's pretty bad.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #93 on: October 05, 2017, 09:15:22 AM »
Yeah, this album could so nearly have been another classic if they'd included 3 of the b-sides (Let's All Make Believe, One Way Road and the beautiful Carry Us All) and left the awful Little James off it. There's some great material on this one, my personal favourite (of the tracks they actually included) being Sunday Morning Call.
That melody - Sunday Morning Call - is just beautiful, and it sticks in your head.

I'm still convinced that Noel let Liam put Little James on there to mock him and the message was just lost.

Offline Dave_Manchester

« Reply #94 on: October 05, 2017, 10:28:41 AM »
By the way here's the 'trailer' for Noel's new solo album which will be released next month:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WRplVmpZCa8

Offline goo-goo

« Reply #95 on: October 05, 2017, 02:29:27 PM »
Liam Gallagher's solo album is being released tomorrow. Anybody heard any snippets? I haven't. Beady Eye was a bit of a disappointment for me. I'll give this one a try eventually...

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #96 on: October 05, 2017, 02:33:15 PM »
I heard one track.  It's a pop song sung by the guy from Oasis.   For me, Noel's stuff had an added edge; it was poppy, but it had an edge; there was Who in there, and David Bowie, and Slade... the Liam song I heard was trying too hard to be 2015 not 1975. 

Offline Dave_Manchester

« Reply #97 on: October 06, 2017, 02:20:54 PM »
Writing about the b-sides for Standing On The Shoulder Of Giants made me revisit all their non-album tracks, and for my own interest I decided to come up with my own ideal track-listings for the 4 albums already mentioned in this thread by Zantera.

No other band that I'm aware of has ever had such a ridiculously high standard of b-sides (Smashing Pumpkins and early Radiohead come close). So here are the albums I'd have put out, if I were Noel. I've used the studio tracks and b-sides from the singles released from that album's singles (plus the single 'Whatever', from the Definitely Maybe era):

Definitely Maybe:

Rock 'n Roll Star
Take Me Away (b-side from Supersonic)
Listen Up (b-side from Cigarettes and Alcohol)
Live Forever
Supersonic
Cigarettes and Alcohol
Slide Away
Fade Away (b-side from Cigarettes and Alcohol)
Whatever
Half The World Away (b-side from Whatever)
It's Good To be Free (b-side from Whatever)

What's The Story Morning Glory (very hard to do, just a crazily amazing year for Noel Gallagher's song-writing ingenuity):

Acquiesce (b-side from Some Might Say)
Some Might Say
Talk Tonight (b-side from Some Might Say)
Underneath The Sky (b-side from Don't Look Back In Anger)
Wonderwall
Don't Look Back In Anger
What's The Story Morning Glory
Cast No Shadow
Champagne Supernova
Rockin' Chair (b-side from Roll With It)
The Masterplan (b-side from Wonderwall)

Be Here Now:

D'You Know What I Mean
Stay Young (b-side from D'You Know What I Mean)
Stand By Me
Going Nowhere (b-side from Stand By Me)
Don't Go Away
Be Here Now
Sad Song (b-side from Don't Go Away)
All Around The World
It's Gettin' Better Man
All Around The World (Reprise)

Standing On The Shoulder Of Giants

Fuckin' In The Bushes
Go Let It Out
Who Feels Love
Let's All Make Believe (b-side from Go Let It Out)
Gas Panic
One Way Road (b-side from Who Feels Love?)
Where Did It All Go Wrong?
Carry Us All (b-side from Sunday Morning Call)
Roll It Over
Sunday Morning Call

(By the way, for me, my track-listing for Be Here Now turns an overblown, exhausting listen into a really beautiful and heart-felt record. That album gets dismissed a lot, but Noel wrote some truly superb songs that year)

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #98 on: October 06, 2017, 02:41:27 PM »
Agreed with "Be Here Now", but I just want to say that the "alternate album" from the b-sides to the first two records would have been glorious.   

Offline Dave_Manchester

« Reply #99 on: October 06, 2017, 03:58:15 PM »
Agreed with "Be Here Now"

Having lost a parent to cancer, the song 'Don't Go Away' is emotionally devastating to me. Noel wrote it after his mother (the only parent he ever knew) was diagnosed with cancer, and for me, those 3 words in the song title basically sum up every emotion you feel in that situation.

There is a tonne of feeling on that album, it wasn't all coked-up nonsense as the critics at the time said. Don't Go Away, Stand By Me, even the perfectly fair Led Zeppelin copy 'Be Here Now' are all classic tunes.

Online Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #100 on: October 07, 2017, 02:24:47 AM »
I agree that they had brilliant B-sides, not many other bands could compete in that regard.

Nice compilation there, Dave_Manchester. I really love 'I Got The Fever' though so I would add it to Be Here Now. It's a personal favourite of mine.

Offline Peace and Love

« Reply #101 on: October 11, 2017, 06:25:34 PM »
Liam Gallagher's solo album is being released tomorrow. Anybody heard any snippets? I haven't. Beady Eye was a bit of a disappointment for me. I'll give this one a try eventually...

Just checked out the album today - it's surprisingly great! Of course it isn't anything groundbreaking, but well worth a listen.

Offline dparrott

« Reply #102 on: October 11, 2017, 07:37:35 PM »
The epic song on Giants for me is Where Did It All Go Wrong.  Who Feels Love was a single over THAT?  C'mon. 

I've heard clips of Liam's album, sounds decent.

Online Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #103 on: October 12, 2017, 12:13:34 AM »
I've heard a few songs off Liam's album, some fine stuff there.

Not so sure about Noel's latest single though, Holy Mountain. It's been compared with She Bangs by Ricky Martin, and I can hear it in the chorus.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #104 on: October 12, 2017, 07:39:39 AM »
on my iPod I have the album, and a "b-sides" album for each one.  I just listened to "Be Here Now" and it's companion b-sides album and man.  The title track is KILLER, Dave nailed it with "Don't Go Away" ("Damn my education, I can't find the words to say, about the things caught in my mind") and I love the song "Flashbax".