Author Topic: The Lady Gaga corner V. Popopo papapa rororo ale alejandro  (Read 33003 times)

Offline Ħ

Re: The Lady Gaga corner V. Popopo papapa rororo ale alejandro
« Reply #70 on: May 27, 2011, 03:51:48 PM »
Yet again, H, I completely agree with you. You're right.

But

Why do you even care?

IT JUST DOESN'T MATTER. At all. It's never going to change, and you're never going to convince anyone. You're chasing your own tail and you're beating a dead horse. Just stop giving a fuck about what Sally down the street likes, and focus on what you like. It's not that hard.
God damn it Gadough, I haven't slept for 30 hours and I need something to bitch about!
"All great works are prepared in the desert, including the redemption of the world. The precursors, the followers, the Master Himself, all obeyed or have to obey one and the same law. Prophets, apostles, preachers, martyrs, pioneers of knowledge, inspired artists in every art, ordinary men and the Man-God, all pay tribute to loneliness, to the life of silence, to the night." - A. G. Sertillanges

Offline Gadough

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #71 on: May 27, 2011, 03:52:26 PM »
Then bitch about Orchid. That album blows.
Gadough isn't Hitler. He's much, much worse.

Online ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #72 on: May 27, 2011, 03:53:04 PM »
Lots of people really just don't care. Music to them is something to dance to or to have fun to. You can't really dance to prog music. Do they like Lady Gaga because her artistic merit? No. They like Lady Gaga because it's fun and you can dance and party to it. If that's what they're looking for in music, they won't like Opeth or PT.
THIS! SO MUCH THIS!

Seriously Hayden, you are sounding ridiculous right now.

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Offline Ħ

« Reply #73 on: May 27, 2011, 03:53:20 PM »
What an awful album.  Sometimes I just pretend like it doesn't exist.
"All great works are prepared in the desert, including the redemption of the world. The precursors, the followers, the Master Himself, all obeyed or have to obey one and the same law. Prophets, apostles, preachers, martyrs, pioneers of knowledge, inspired artists in every art, ordinary men and the Man-God, all pay tribute to loneliness, to the life of silence, to the night." - A. G. Sertillanges

Offline Ravenheart

• Hair
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #74 on: May 27, 2011, 03:53:50 PM »
Hayden, dude, honestly, anyone who thinks like you do obviously listens to music for all the wrong reasons. You've been really hypocritical in this thread.

EDIT: HEY SHUT UP DREW ORCHID IS A GOOD ALBUM

Offline tjanuranus

« Reply #75 on: May 27, 2011, 03:55:57 PM »
Lady gaga makes disposable catchy musical that 2 weeks from now no one will care about so she'll have to put out another song that no one will care about in 2 weeks. The state of pop music is very sad, there is NO shelf life anymore in pop music.

Online Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #76 on: May 27, 2011, 03:57:04 PM »
Lady gaga makes disposable catchy musical that 2 weeks from now no one will care about so she'll have to put out another song that no one will care about in 2 weeks. The state of pop music is very sad, there is NO shelf life anymore in pop music.

Poker Face and Bad Romance are still as catchy to me as they were whenever they came out. I don't regularly listen to either of them, but I enjoy them quite a bit.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Online ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #77 on: May 27, 2011, 03:57:07 PM »
Oh god, not you as well.

THEY'RE EVERYWHERE! :dangerwillrobinson:

I be am boner inducing.

Offline Ravenheart

• Hair
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #78 on: May 27, 2011, 03:57:38 PM »
There never has been. The music industry hasn't changed at all since it began. Fads and trends come and go, while some artists, usually those that focus more on entire albums rather than just hits, maintain strong fan bases that last throughout their careers.

Offline Ħ

« Reply #79 on: May 27, 2011, 03:58:57 PM »
Ok you know what song I want to kill with fire?  Tik Tok. Yes I know it's not Gaga but same difference.  Just want to rip that song and all its fans to shreds.

Offline tjanuranus

« Reply #80 on: May 27, 2011, 03:59:06 PM »
There never has been. The music industry hasn't changed at all since it began. Fads and trends come and go, while some artists, usually those that focus more on entire albums rather than just hits, maintain strong fan bases that last throughout their careers.

Disagree. The beatles used to be pop music. No one has more shelf life than the beatles. The police were pop music, NIN were pop music. I could go on. All of that music has great shelf life. Now we have Bruno mars, lady gaga and lil b. I'd rather be dead, no really.

Offline Gadough

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #81 on: May 27, 2011, 03:59:35 PM »

o/

Offline Ħ

« Reply #82 on: May 27, 2011, 04:00:20 PM »

o/
*\o

Online ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #83 on: May 27, 2011, 04:00:56 PM »

Disagree. The beatles used to be pop music. No one has more shelf life than the beatles. The police were pop music, NIN were pop music. I could go on. All of that music has great shelf life. Now we have Bruno mars, lady gaga and lil b. I'd rather be dead, no really.
NIN were never pop music.

And you're talking as though you know for a fact that bands and artists who are popular now won't keep a strong fanbase. Are you from the future?

I be am boner inducing.

Online Adami

« Reply #84 on: May 27, 2011, 04:02:47 PM »

A good point, but how many other popular bounds were around around the same time as the beatles? Do you remember? What about all of the pop bands from the 60's? The 70's? The 80's? The early 90's? You probably don't know most of them because like most pop music, it faded away quickly. Now is no different, you're just experiencing it as opposed to the other stuff. History tends to get condensed to the most important things, while the unimportant never gets retold. You're just experiencing the unimportant. In 20 years, no one will remember 80% of the pop bands from the 2000s'.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline Ravenheart

• Hair
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #85 on: May 27, 2011, 04:03:44 PM »

Um..... okay.

All those artists focused on crafting albums, starting with The Beatles. The music industry has always been a hit factory with a select few of artists who wanted to do more than just climb the charts. Nothing has changed. To say it has is just being ignorant.

Offline Gadough

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #86 on: May 27, 2011, 04:03:52 PM »

I can't predict the future. And I may be wrong. But Lady Gaga has made a pretty massive impact on music and pop culture, whether you like her or not. Much more so than any other pop artist in recent memory. Kesha will come and go, Katy Perry will come and go... I have a feeling Gaga has more than 15 minutes left. I wouldn't be surprised if she's still a household name decades from now.

Offline skydivingninja

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #87 on: May 27, 2011, 04:04:36 PM »

When was NIN ever pop?  :lol

But no, I'm afraid you're actually wrong.  For every Beatles or Sting, there were a thousand pop groups that put out a few hits and disappeared.  Remember that band who wrote "Louie Louie?"  Neither does anyone else.  Ravenheart's on the money there.  

Ninja'd by Adami though, who put it in better words.

Offline jsem

« Reply #88 on: May 27, 2011, 04:06:09 PM »

I can't predict the future. And I may be wrong. But Lady Gaga has made a pretty massive impact on music and pop culture, whether you like her or not. Much more so than any other pop artist in recent memory. Kesha will come and go, Katy Perry will come and go... I have a feeling Gaga has more than 15 minutes left. I wouldn't be surprised if she's still a household name decades from now.
So true.

Offline lateralus88

• The Official DTF Stanley Kubrick Fanboi
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • I stabbed Euronymous because he drank my PBR
« Reply #89 on: May 27, 2011, 04:07:26 PM »
Lady Gaga is everything that is wrong with pop culture
If this were true, Lady Gaga would have almost no background in writing and understanding music and all the while have millions of dollars handed to her for being attractive and "sexy".

I don't like Lady Gaga's music, but she at least has knowledge of how music works. Plus, it has been admitted by many that under POP STAR standards, she isn't what many would consider to be the most attractive out there. There are definitely much worse examples of popular culture.
I felt its length in quite a few places.

Awesome Majesty Pendant Club: Member #3

Offline tjanuranus

« Reply #90 on: May 27, 2011, 04:09:43 PM »

But no, I'm afraid you're actually wrong.  For every Beatles or Sting, there were a thousand pop groups that put out a few hits and disappeared.  Remember that band who wrote "Louie Louie?"  Neither does anyone else.  Ravenheart's on the money there.  

Closer was one of the most popular songs of the 90's. Trent also had other hit songs that is what pop music is, popular.  Even louie louie as a song has shelf life. Everyone knows it decades later. I highly doubt the same will be said about any of the pop music today, that's my point.

Online Adami

« Reply #91 on: May 27, 2011, 04:10:19 PM »
If you want to scapegoat the failings of society on someone, Kim Kardashian would make more sense.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline lateralus88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #92 on: May 27, 2011, 04:10:52 PM »

Closer was one of the most popular songs of the 90's. Trent also had other hit songs that is what pop music is, popular.  Even louie louie as a song has shelf life. Everyone knows it decades later. I highly doubt the same will be said about any of the pop music today, that's my point.
Britney Spears is still releasing music.

Online ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #93 on: May 27, 2011, 04:11:33 PM »
Closer was one of the most popular songs of the 90's. Trent also had other hit songs that is what pop music is, popular.  Even louie louie as a song has shelf life. Everyone knows it decades later. I highly doubt the same will be said about any of the pop music today, that's my point.
You've obviously completely misunderstood SND's point. Louie Louie was just an example that we remember, even obscurely. There has been TONS of music thoughout the decades that none of us even knows apart from some older people who vaguely remember it from the time. Nothing has changed.

I be am boner inducing.

Offline tjanuranus

« Reply #94 on: May 27, 2011, 04:12:25 PM »

Closer was one of the most popular songs of the 90's. Trent also had other hit songs that is what pop music is, popular.  Even louie louie as a song has shelf life. Everyone knows it decades later. I highly doubt the same will be said about any of the pop music today, that's my point.
Britney Spears is still releasing music.

But there is a HUGE difference in the quality of britney spears's music from her beginnings to know. Her first couple albums were pop genius that have a couple songs that will live on forever. The last 8 years or so she's had none of that.

Offline Ravenheart

• Hair
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #95 on: May 27, 2011, 04:12:45 PM »

When was NIN ever pop?  :lol

But no, I'm afraid you're actually wrong.  For every Beatles or Sting, there were a thousand pop groups that put out a few hits and disappeared.  Remember that band who wrote "Louie Louie?"  Neither does anyone else.  Ravenheart's on the money there. 

And the same is true for tons of pop music that was dominating the airwaves way back in the day. It's a never-ending cycle that was just as true back then as it is now. To say there's been some sort of profound shift in how pop music becomes popular is just laughable.
« Last Edit: May 27, 2011, 04:19:55 PM by Ravenheart »

Offline Gadough

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #96 on: May 27, 2011, 04:12:48 PM »
Concerning Gaga's attractiveness. She has the potential to be really, really hot. But she chooses to be zany and bizarre looking instead. :lol Which is cool too; I actually respect her for being unique. I just remember how hot she was in the Just Dance video, and it makes my penis sad that she doesn't look like that anymore.

Offline tjanuranus

« Reply #97 on: May 27, 2011, 04:14:22 PM »
Concerning Gaga's attractiveness. She has the potential to be really, really hot. But she chooses to be zany and bizarre looking instead. :lol Which is cool too; I actually respect her for being unique. I just remember how hot she was in the Just Dance video, and it makes my penis sad that she doesn't look like that anymore.

It's not unique. It's a blend of madonna, alice cooper, and marilyn manson. But i know what you mean, she's trying to be different than the rest.

Offline Ravenheart

• Hair
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #98 on: May 27, 2011, 04:14:51 PM »
I just remember how hot she was in the Just Dance video
YES.

Online Adami

« Reply #99 on: May 27, 2011, 04:15:08 PM »

It's not unique. It's a blend of madonna, alice cooper, and marilyn manson. But i know what you mean, she's trying to be different than the rest.

And succeeding, very very well.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline skydivingninja

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #100 on: May 27, 2011, 04:15:13 PM »
You've obviously completely misunderstood SND's point. Louie Louie was just an example that we remember, even obscurely. There has been TONS of music thoughout the decades that none of us even knows apart from some older people who vaguely remember it from the time. Nothing has changed.

First SDV, now SND, WHY CAN'T PEOPLE REMEMBER MY DAMN ACRONYM?

Also, TJ, "Toxic" was released in what, 2003?  That's eight years ago.  And its a bloody fantastic song.  Hmmm...

Online ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #101 on: May 27, 2011, 04:15:27 PM »

And succeeding, very very well.
Which therefore, by definition, is unique.

I be am boner inducing.

Offline lateralus88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #102 on: May 27, 2011, 04:15:38 PM »
That's my point. Doing her own thing is generally NOT what is reflected in a lot of popular culture. Hence why she is not the worst example out there.

By that logic, nothing is unique. It's called influence.

Offline Gadough

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #103 on: May 27, 2011, 04:16:07 PM »

Yeah, I meant unique in relation to modern pop music.

Online ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #104 on: May 27, 2011, 04:16:08 PM »
First SDV, now SND, WHY CAN'T PEOPLE REMEMBER MY DAMN ACRONYM?
I remember it fine, I just fail at typing today for some reason.

I be am boner inducing.