Author Topic: The Lady Gaga corner V. Popopo papapa rororo ale alejandro  (Read 33005 times)

Offline Gadough

• DTF.org Alumni
Re: The Lady Gaga corner V. Popopo papapa rororo ale alejandro
« Reply #35 on: May 27, 2011, 03:02:55 PM »
Lady Gaga is everything that is wrong with pop culture

Explain.
Gadough isn't Hitler. He's much, much worse.

Offline jsem

« Reply #36 on: May 27, 2011, 03:03:00 PM »

Offline Ħ

« Reply #37 on: May 27, 2011, 03:04:37 PM »

Explain.

Errrhem, it's very simple, really.  Look at everything wrong with popular culture.  You'll soon realize that you're looking directly at Lady Gaga.
"All great works are prepared in the desert, including the redemption of the world. The precursors, the followers, the Master Himself, all obeyed or have to obey one and the same law. Prophets, apostles, preachers, martyrs, pioneers of knowledge, inspired artists in every art, ordinary men and the Man-God, all pay tribute to loneliness, to the life of silence, to the night." - A. G. Sertillanges

Offline jsem

« Reply #38 on: May 27, 2011, 03:06:45 PM »
Explain. What is wrong with pop culture.

Offline Gadough

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #39 on: May 27, 2011, 03:07:08 PM »

Explain.

Errrhem, it's very simple, really.  Look at everything wrong with popular culture.  You'll soon realize that you're looking directly at Lady Gaga.

Alright.

Offline Ravenheart

• Hair
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #40 on: May 27, 2011, 03:08:04 PM »
MemberHayden, ladies and gentlemen.

Offline Ħ

« Reply #41 on: May 27, 2011, 03:09:40 PM »

This video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bESGLojNYSo

has almost 200x as many views as this video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OIM5M6FmnmY

That's what's wrong with pop culture.
"All great works are prepared in the desert, including the redemption of the world. The precursors, the followers, the Master Himself, all obeyed or have to obey one and the same law. Prophets, apostles, preachers, martyrs, pioneers of knowledge, inspired artists in every art, ordinary men and the Man-God, all pay tribute to loneliness, to the life of silence, to the night." - A. G. Sertillanges

Offline Ravenheart

• Hair
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #42 on: May 27, 2011, 03:10:50 PM »
Why do you even care?

Offline Xanthul

« Reply #43 on: May 27, 2011, 03:12:05 PM »

has almost 200x as many views as this video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OIM5M6FmnmY

Damn now I've gotta click the first link 199 more times to keep the ratio

Offline Gadough

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #44 on: May 27, 2011, 03:12:33 PM »
Dude.

I agree with you, but you're being a very stereotypical pretentious music fan right now. :lol

"Society's music tastes don't coincide with my own, therefore, there's something wrong with society."

Offline Ravenheart

• Hair
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #45 on: May 27, 2011, 03:13:57 PM »
Dude.

I agree with you, but you're being a very stereotypical pretentious music fan right now. :lol

"Society's music tastes don't coincide with my own, therefore, there's something wrong with society."
Exactly.

Offline jsem

« Reply #46 on: May 27, 2011, 03:15:24 PM »

Damn now I've gotta click the first link 199 more times to keep the ratio
Lol H. If you'd take the time to listen to the new album you'd be surprised by how much you'll like it compared to how much you'll think you'll like it.

Just my two cents. Seriously, I hadn't heard the three singles from the new album, but when I heard them they were the three worst songs on the album.

Offline Ħ

« Reply #47 on: May 27, 2011, 03:16:37 PM »
Dude.

It's not that.  It's that most people are too lazy to hunt for artists and bands like PT or Opeth.  They are basically spoonfed artists like Gaga and told that she's one of the most talented artists in the world when she really isn't.  Our music deserves just as much attention but it doesn't get it because of corporate greed and manipulation of the masses.

Online Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #48 on: May 27, 2011, 03:19:49 PM »
Dude.

It's not that.  It's that most people are too lazy to hunt for artists and bands like PT or Opeth.  They are basically spoonfed artists like Gaga and told that she's one of the most talented artists in the world when she really isn't.  Our music deserves just as much attention but it doesn't get it because of corporate greed and manipulation of the masses.

Even if Opeth and PT were on the radio and MTV or whatever, most people still won't like them. No matter the amount of publicity, most people will still pick pop music over prog metal.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline Ravenheart

• Hair
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #49 on: May 27, 2011, 03:20:38 PM »
Dude.

Or maybe they just legitimately enjoy Gaga's music and don't concern themselves with whether or not the big bad evil greedy lying music corporations are telling them to enjoy her material.

All you're really doing is reinforcing Drew's point about you acting like the smug music elitist that thinks he's on a higher plateau than others because you listen to a few bands that aren't played frequently on the radio.

Offline Ħ

« Reply #50 on: May 27, 2011, 03:22:27 PM »
Dude.

Even if Opeth and PT were on the radio and MTV or whatever, most people still won't like them. No matter the amount of publicity, most people will still pick pop music over prog metal.
I think that's due to the mindsetwhere if something is on the radio, it's good; if it's not on the radio, it's amateur.  Lots of people I know have said exactly that.

And for the record, I never dissed Gaga's music.  I just dissed the image that she stands for.

Offline Gadough

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #51 on: May 27, 2011, 03:27:00 PM »
@H, You're absolutely right. But I think Zander said it best:

Why do you even care?

Seriously. Stop wasting energy on giving a shit. It's never going to change. The simple fact of the matter is, the overwhelming majority of people aren't HUGE music fans like most of us on this forum. They're perfectly content with enjoying catchy songs on the radio now and then. They don't need to listen to stuff like Porcupine Tree. It isn't made for them. In the same way you could argue that mainstream pop music isn't made for us. They're missing out, but who fucking cares? That's on them. It isn't hurting them, and it's not hurting us that they don't like what we like.

Certainly, I'd like to see bands like Opeth and PT get more recognition, because they deserve it. But they're doing just fine right now. They have strong, devoted fanbases, and as far as I know, Mikael Akerfeldt isn't scrounging for thrown-away pizza in alleyway trash cans. They deserve more than they have, yes, but I think they belong more in a niche music scene than the mainstream anyway. I don't really want everyone to know who they are. If Opeth was a household name, I suppose that'd be cool. But I don't get offended that Poker Face has more views than all Opeth videos combined, because, at the end of the day...it just doesn't fucking matter. I enjoy it, you enjoy it, your neighbor has no idea who the fuck Opeth is. Life goes on.
« Last Edit: May 27, 2011, 03:32:07 PM by Gadough »

Offline skydivingninja

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #52 on: May 27, 2011, 03:30:31 PM »
BrotherH, as everyone's already said, you're acting like a stereotypical prog snob.  Just let people enjoy what they want to enjoy.  Someone likes Lady Gaga because they heard "Bad Romance" on the radio and don't go looking for something like Opeth.  Would they really enjoy Opeth anyways?  If you feel so inclined, suggest something a little less well-known that they might like.  Little dredg here and a little PT there.  Don't be surprised if you try playing "Blackwater Park" for someone who likes T Pain and BEP and they end up hating it.

Seriously, be happy enjoying your music and let other people be happy enjoying theirs.  This need to shit all over something or its fanbase because its popular doesn't help anybody.  It doesn't matter.

Online Adami

« Reply #53 on: May 27, 2011, 03:31:30 PM »
Dude.

I think that's due to the mindsetwhere if something is on the radio, it's good; if it's not on the radio, it's amateur.  Lots of people I know have said exactly that.

And for the record, I never dissed Gaga's music.  I just dissed the image that she stands for.

Lots of people really just don't care. Music to them is something to dance to or to have fun to. You can't really dance to prog music. Do they like Lady Gaga because her artistic merit? No. They like Lady Gaga because it's fun and you can dance and party to it. If that's what they're looking for in music, they won't like Opeth or PT.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline Ravenheart

• Hair
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #54 on: May 27, 2011, 03:33:27 PM »
Well said, Drew.

Also, if anything, Opeth and PT will outlive pretty much ALL mainstream, made-for-radio pop stars. They focus more on crafting entire albums and challenging their devoted fanbase, whereas the manufactured pop stars are just about creating a few hit singles that will be enjoyable for a little while before forgotten just a few months are their debut. The targets audiences of PT and Opeth are primarily people who want to hear the whole album and will continue to do so.

Take a band like Pink Floyd, for example. They're one of the most well-known bands ever, even decades after their conception. They created albums that focus on the whole, not just one or two songs. The dozens of interchangeable stars of that same era have been virtually forgotten by the masses.

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #55 on: May 27, 2011, 03:33:40 PM »
Lady Gaga is fugly.

I'd rather be force fed her music than her image on magazines all the time.

Carry on.

Offline Ħ

« Reply #56 on: May 27, 2011, 03:35:33 PM »
@H, You're absolutely right. But, I think Zander said it best:

Why do you even care?

Seriously. Stop wasting energy on giving a shit. It's never going to change. The simple fact of the matter is, the overwhelming majority of people aren't HUGE music fans like most of us on this forum. They're perfectly content with enjoying catchy songs on the radio now and then. They don't need to listen to stuff like Porcupine Tree. It isn't made for them. In the same way you could argue that mainstream pop music isn't made for us. They're missing out, but who fucking cares? That's on them. It isn't hurting them, and it's not hurting us that they don't like what we like.

Certainly, I'd like to see bands like Opeth and PT get more recognition, because they deserve it. But they're doing just fine right now. They have strong, devoted fanbases, and as far as I know, Mikael Akerfeldt isn't scrounging for thrown-away pizza in alleyway trash cans. They deserve more than they have, yes, but I think they belong more in a niche music scene than the mainstream anyway. I don't particular want everyone to know who they are. If Opeth was a household name, I suppose that'd be cool. But I'm not about to get offended that Poker Face has more views than all Opeth videos combined, because, at the end of the day...it just doesn't fucking matter. I enjoy it, you enjoy it, your neighbor has no idea who the fuck Opeth is. Life goes on.

Good post.  I guess I care because it kind of hurts the experience of listening to Lady Gaga.  There is sort of a thrill of discovery when you listen to underground stuff.  Whever I listen to Gaga (or anything that is a household name), I either think (1) she's a sell-out, and/or (2) a bunch of obese American women with sheepish dumb looks on their faces think she is some kind of goddess.  Neither may be true but it really taints the listening experience for me.  If she was on the same popularity level as, say, Bjork then I could potential be relaxed to and enjoy her music.

I guess to sum it up, the whole thing feels very phony to me.

Offline jsem

« Reply #57 on: May 27, 2011, 03:37:25 PM »

Why do you even care?

Certainly, I'd like to see bands like Opeth and PT get more recognition, because they deserve it. But they're doing just fine right now. They have strong, devoted fanbases, and as far as I know, Mikael Akerfeldt isn't scrounging for thrown-away pizza in alleyway trash cans. They deserve more than they have, yes, but I think they belong more in a niche music scene than the mainstream anyway. I don't particular want everyone to know who they are. If Opeth was a household name, I suppose that'd be cool. But I'm not about to get offended that Poker Face has more views than all Opeth videos combined, because, at the end of the day...it just doesn't fucking matter. I enjoy it, you enjoy it, your neighbor has no idea who the fuck Opeth is. Life goes on.

Good post.  I guess I care because it kind of hurts the experience of listening to Lady Gaga.  There is sort of a thrill of discovery when you listen to underground stuff.  Whever I listen to Gaga (or anything that is a household name), I either think (1) she's a sell-out, and/or (2) a bunch of obese American women with sheepish dumb looks on their faces think she is some kind of goddess.  Neither may be true but it really taints the listening experience for me.  If she was on the same popularity level as, say, Bjork then I could potential be relaxed to and enjoy her music.

tl;dr = Lady Gaga is too mainstream for me

Offline Ravenheart

• Hair
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #58 on: May 27, 2011, 03:37:42 PM »

Why do you even care?

Good post.  I guess I care because it kind of hurts the experience of listening to Lady Gaga.  There is sort of a thrill of discovery when you listen to underground stuff.  Whever I listen to Gaga (or anything that is a household name), I either think (1) she's a sell-out, and/or (2) a bunch of obese American women with sheepish dumb looks on their faces think she is some kind of goddess.  Neither may be true but it really taints the listening experience for me.  If she was on the same popularity level as, say, Bjork then I could potential be relaxed to and enjoy her music.

You seem more consumed with her image than any of the "sheep" you're accusing of being.

You're acting really ridiculous, and it's kind of embarrassing just for me to read.

Offline skydivingninja

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #59 on: May 27, 2011, 03:38:16 PM »
H, do you feel the same way when you listen to Pink Floyd?  Led Zeppelin?  Iron Maiden?  Tool?  Metallica?  Any other "household names?"

Okay maybe Metallica wasn't the best example given their reputation  :P

Offline Ħ

« Reply #60 on: May 27, 2011, 03:39:41 PM »
ITT: lots of people assume they know my experiences and education with music

EDIT: Actually yes, SDN.  Pink Floyd is an anomoly, but I feel sort of uncomfortable listening to the rest (except for Tool, which I didn't realize was a household name).

Offline Ravenheart

• Hair
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #61 on: May 27, 2011, 03:40:58 PM »
We're not assuming anything. We're crafting our posts based off of yours.

Offline Xanthul

« Reply #62 on: May 27, 2011, 03:42:18 PM »
I've always thought it's equally sheepish to love something just because it's popular as it is to hate it just because it's popular. You either enjoy it or you don't, that's all there is to it.

Offline Ravenheart

• Hair
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #63 on: May 27, 2011, 03:43:07 PM »
I've always thought it's equally sheepish to love something just because it's popular as it is to hate it just because it's popular. You either enjoy it or you don't, that's all there is to it.
:clap:

Offline Gadough

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #64 on: May 27, 2011, 03:44:57 PM »
H, what's confusing me is how you keep bringing up the idea that people "worship" pop music artists like Lady Gaga. I guarantee you, we worship Steven Wilson much more than the average Gaga fan worships Gaga. Mainstream music fans are mostly passive. You ask a Lady Gaga fan what they think of her, they'll likely say,

"Oh yeah, I like Lady Gaga. I think [one of her songs] is pretty catchy."

On the other hand, you ask a Porcupine Tree fan about Steven Wilson:

"I would go gay for him."

See what I'm saying?

Offline Ħ

« Reply #65 on: May 27, 2011, 03:45:38 PM »
If that's what you think then I guess I'm sheepish.  At least I'm not jumping off the cliff.

Offline Ħ

« Reply #66 on: May 27, 2011, 03:46:50 PM »
H, what's confusing me is how you keep bringing up the idea that people "worship" pop music artists like Lady Gaga. I guarantee you, we worship Steven Wilson much more than the average Gaga fan worships Gaga. Mainstream music fans are mostly passive. You ask a Lady Gaga fan what they think of her, they'll likely say,

"Oh yeah, I like Lady Gaga. I think [one of her songs] is pretty catchy."

On the other hand, you ask a Porcupine Tree fan about Steven Wilson:

"I would go gay for him."

See what I'm saying?
That's a good point.  But I think there's a difference.  We've been exposed to more music, so I think our opinion is more well-refined than theirs are.

Online Adami

« Reply #67 on: May 27, 2011, 03:48:14 PM »
If that's what you think then I guess I'm sheepish.  At least I'm not jumping off the cliff.

I don't think Gaga fans are jumping off of cliffs either, or else her record sales would be much lower.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline skydivingninja

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #68 on: May 27, 2011, 03:48:44 PM »

EDIT: Actually yes, SDN.  Pink Floyd is an anomoly, but I feel sort of uncomfortable listening to the rest (except for Tool, which I didn't realize was a household name).

Really?  Why not just listen to the music and then make a decision about whether you like it or not based on the music rather than letting its fans sway your opinion?  Despite all the "posers" (for lack of a better word) who wear iconic Led Zep or Pink Floyd clothing and know only the hits, I still enjoy the music those bands put out.  Heck, I still enjoy DT and the pretentious DT fan is about ten times worse than the obsessive Lady Gaga fan.

Also, Gadough is on a roll with making good points in this thread.

Offline Gadough

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #69 on: May 27, 2011, 03:49:45 PM »
Yet again, H, I completely agree with you. You're right.

But

Why do you even care?

IT JUST DOESN'T MATTER. At all. It's never going to change, and you're never going to convince anyone. You're chasing your own tail and you're beating a dead horse. Just stop giving a fuck about what Sally down the street likes, and focus on what you like. It's not that hard.