Author Topic: The Lady Gaga corner V. Popopo papapa rororo ale alejandro  (Read 33009 times)

Offline LieLowTheWantedMan

• DTF.org Member
Re: The Lady Gaga corner V. Popopo papapa rororo ale alejandro
« Reply #175 on: May 28, 2011, 05:40:31 PM »
Oh I won't deny she has talent, it's just not my thing at all.

Offline ClairvoyantCat

• DT is no longer Majesty.
« Reply #176 on: May 28, 2011, 05:40:49 PM »
I can listen to a DT song and say it's DT, however the same can't be said for Gaga.

That's probably because you don't listen to her and therefore can't distinguish her as well..

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #177 on: May 28, 2011, 05:42:30 PM »
Oh I won't deny she has talent, it's just not my thing at all.

Same for me too.

I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline The Degenerate

• The Knight of Noir
« Reply #178 on: May 28, 2011, 05:42:53 PM »
I can listen to a DT song and say it's DT, however the same can't be said for Gaga.

That's probably because you don't listen to her and therefore can't distinguish her as well..

^
"Never forget what you are, for surely the world will not. Make it your strength. Then it can never be your weakness. Armour yourself in it, and it will never be used to hurt you." ~ Tyrion Lannister

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #179 on: May 28, 2011, 05:45:53 PM »

^
I would never listen to DT and think "pfft they sound just like every other prog band" anyway. I've heard quite a few songs from Lady Gaga from time to time, but it just sounds like the others.

Offline zxlkho

• Official Dream Theater Hater.
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #180 on: May 28, 2011, 05:47:35 PM »
DT does sound just like every other prog band though.
I AM A GUY
You're a fucking stupid bitch.
Orion....that's the one with a bunch of power chords and boringly harsh vocals, isn't it?

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #181 on: May 28, 2011, 05:47:54 PM »
Um...no. They may borrow an element here and here from others, but they are very distinguishable, whereas Gaga is just really same-y.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #182 on: May 28, 2011, 05:48:24 PM »

*Backhands*
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline ClairvoyantCat

• DT is no longer Majesty.
« Reply #183 on: May 28, 2011, 05:50:03 PM »
I think it's pretty safe to say that both of the discussed probably rely mostly on their vocal aspect for recognition.  Not a jab at either artist, either. 

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #184 on: May 28, 2011, 05:51:09 PM »
DT has a style in their instrumental sections that's pretty distinguishable too, although I can't really describe it. But in some cases, that's correct.

Offline ricky

• say what now?
  • aka "the big nasty"
« Reply #185 on: May 28, 2011, 05:52:46 PM »
she was hotter as a brunette.

There is so little respek left in the world, that if you look it up in the dictionary, you'll find that it has been taken out.

Uncle Ricky wants YOU to show some respek

Offline zxlkho

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #186 on: May 28, 2011, 05:53:39 PM »

*Backhands*
It's true though.
I AM A GUY
Orion....that's the one with a bunch of power chords and boringly harsh vocals, isn't it?

Offline Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #187 on: May 28, 2011, 05:53:52 PM »
Lady Gaga is no more "the same" as all pop music, than DT is "the same" as all prog rock music.
I don't really see how DT is "the same", with Octavarium being the exception. All of this pop sounds exactly the same to me. And I can listen to a DT song and say it's DT, however the same can't be said for Gaga.

I wasn't insinuating that DT is "the same", I was implying that Lady Gaga isn't. And as all pop sounds the same to you, all metal sounds the same to a lot of people, it's just a matter of exposure and acceptance.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #188 on: May 28, 2011, 05:55:06 PM »

*Backhands*
It's true though.
Not in the least, lol.

Offline Gadough

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #189 on: May 28, 2011, 06:00:11 PM »
Gadough isn't Hitler. He's much, much worse.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #190 on: May 28, 2011, 07:48:16 PM »
Lady Gaga is no more "the same" as all pop music, than DT is "the same" as all prog rock music.
I don't really see how DT is "the same", with Octavarium being the exception. All of this pop sounds exactly the same to me. And I can listen to a DT song and say it's DT, however the same can't be said for Gaga.

To a pop fan (meaning, someone whose favorite genre is pop music), all prog metal would sound exactly the same to them. 

Offline Ravenheart

• Hair
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #191 on: May 28, 2011, 07:52:11 PM »
I hear you.   I guess I just don't get.  Everyone is hearing the same song, and assuming everyone's ears are working properly, I don't see how we come to such different conclusions unless there is some type of phycological trickery involved, such as the mental "I-like-Awake-because-it's-different" thing that has arisen for whatever reason.

Offline Adami

« Reply #192 on: May 28, 2011, 07:52:44 PM »

To a pop fan (meaning, someone whose favorite genre is pop music), all prog metal would sound exactly the same to them. 

Exactly, before I became a classical fan, it all sounded the same time, just a bunch of strings/horns. Then I really started listening, now while I'm not a classical wizard, I can differentiate between classical, baroque, romantic, Bach, Mozart, Brahms, etc.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline Ħ

« Reply #193 on: May 28, 2011, 08:05:20 PM »
Unfortunately like many pop songs, they revolve around sex....for example "love games"

:lol :lol

Your posts are always a joy, Mistah H.
It's just....not very deep.  It comes across as very lazy.

Ok, now that I got a good amount of sleep, and I've had my coffee, I feel great.  So hopefully the next thing I say is fairly reasonable by your standards.

It seems like a lot of pop artists walk into the studio and think to themselves, "Let's write a really catchy pop tune."  But while a lot of the music we are into is defined as "progressive rock/metal", I don't think DT or PT walk into the studio and say "Let's write a prog album."  I think they write much more resourcefully than pop artists.  Using DT as the example, just look at their catalogue!  Up until SC or so, they didn't even really have a "sound".  They pull stuff from quite a number of genres.  You've got stuff from Hollow Years to Constant Motion to Goodnight Kiss to 6:00.  I can't see anyone saying those songs sound "same-y". 

Whereas pop focuses on a very narrow sound, and if they do anything too quirky or different, they lose.   So it comes across as a big phony get-rich-quick scheme.  And I do believe it is possible to write creatively as a pop artist.  I guess you could make the argument that Neal Morse and Eisley are very pop driven, but they incorporate quite a wide variety of sounds and styles into their music.
"All great works are prepared in the desert, including the redemption of the world. The precursors, the followers, the Master Himself, all obeyed or have to obey one and the same law. Prophets, apostles, preachers, martyrs, pioneers of knowledge, inspired artists in every art, ordinary men and the Man-God, all pay tribute to loneliness, to the life of silence, to the night." - A. G. Sertillanges

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #194 on: May 28, 2011, 08:10:35 PM »
Unfortunately like many pop songs, they revolve around sex....for example "love games"

:lol :lol

Your posts are always a joy, Mistah H.
It's just....not very deep.  It comes across as very lazy.

Ok, now that I got a good amount of sleep, and I've had my coffee, I feel great.  So hopefully the next thing I say is fairly reasonable by your standards.

It seems like a lot of pop artists walk into the studio and think to themselves, "Let's write a really catchy pop tune."  But while a lot of the music we are into is defined as "progressive rock/metal", I don't think DT or PT walk into the studio and say "Let's write a prog album."  I think they write much more resourcefully than pop artists.  Using DT as the example, just look at their catalogue!  Up until SC or so, they didn't even really have a "sound".  They pull stuff from quite a number of genres.  You've got stuff from Hollow Years to Constant Motion to Goodnight Kiss to 6:00.  I can't see anyone saying those songs sound "same-y". 

Whereas pop focuses on a very narrow sound, and if they do anything too quirky or different, they lose.   So it comes across as a big phony get-rich-quick scheme.  And I do believe it is possible to write creatively as a pop artist.  I guess you could make the argument that Neal Morse and Eisley are very pop driven, but they incorporate quite a wide variety of sounds and styles into their music.
Yup.

Offline skydivingninja

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #195 on: May 28, 2011, 08:19:07 PM »
Actually, DT have walked into the studio with the purpose of making an album in a specific style.  SFAM was specifically made to be a concept album based around the FII demo.  ToT came about because they essentially wanted to make a bunch of songs like "The Glass Prison" (alluded to in the Score documentary), and Octavarium was written as a response to fans who didn't like ToT, and SC was written to sort of balance the two out (explained in the SC making of). 

Pop artists do quirky things as well.  After all, we're in a thread about Lady Gaga, the queen of quirky pop songs.  Not just in how she performs them or what crazy outfit she's wearing.  And to address your suggestion that pop is a "get rich quick" scheme, remember (and this has been said hundreds of times on this forum) that if it really was a get rich quick scheme everyone would be doing it.  But it is really difficult to write a catchy song. 

Offline Ħ

« Reply #196 on: May 28, 2011, 08:22:49 PM »
I agree with FII and TOT.  OVM might have had a direction, but didn't really confine itself to a certain sound.  And the rest of the albums were of course written with a history behind them, but don't really sound alike at all.
"All great works are prepared in the desert, including the redemption of the world. The precursors, the followers, the Master Himself, all obeyed or have to obey one and the same law. Prophets, apostles, preachers, martyrs, pioneers of knowledge, inspired artists in every art, ordinary men and the Man-God, all pay tribute to loneliness, to the life of silence, to the night." - A. G. Sertillanges

Offline zxlkho

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #197 on: May 28, 2011, 08:23:16 PM »
BrotherH, I don't think I've seen a more incorrect post on this forum. Dream Theater has no other intention than to write a prog album, and there are a lot more creative pop albums out there than you think. I'm not going into it anymore, because tbh I don't really care.
I AM A GUY

Offline Quadrochosis

• DTF.org Alumni
  • We Are Not Alone
« Reply #198 on: May 28, 2011, 08:24:45 PM »
DTF (and internet): Arguing about pointless shit since whenever it was invented
space cadet, pull out.
The only thing I enjoy more than Frengers is pleasing myself anally via the prostate.
"From my butt, I can see your house..."

Offline Adami

« Reply #199 on: May 28, 2011, 08:28:15 PM »
I agree with FII and TOT.  OVM might have had a direction, but didn't really confine itself to a certain sound.  And the rest of the albums were of course written with a history behind them, but don't really sound alike at all.

What about blues artists? Or jazz artists? Or classical composers?
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline Ravenheart

• Hair
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #200 on: May 28, 2011, 08:29:13 PM »
Why is it bad if an artist goes into the studio with a certain sound in mind?

Why is it bad if an artist wants to write a catchy tune?

Why is it bad if an artist wants to go in a pop-oriented direction?

This is ridiculous.

Offline Gorille85

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #201 on: May 28, 2011, 08:32:34 PM »
DT are pretty much going into the studio with "let's go writing a prog metal album" in mind. Hell, they are scarred to do certain things because the fans may not like it.

Offline Ħ

« Reply #202 on: May 28, 2011, 08:33:04 PM »

...Don't get me started with blues and jazz.  Classical is ok since at least the instrumentation is very wide.

And Ravenheart -- it limits and constrains the musical potential.

The thing is, music is very purpose-driven.  I don't really take much issue with any music form on it's own.  But I take issue with pop artists because it seems like their purpose is to get famous.  So to me, it seems like they compromise their musical integrity to reach that end.  Whereas lots of other artists write from the heart without too much concern over money and fame, and I really respect that.

Offline Quadrochosis

• DTF.org Alumni
  • We Are Not Alone
« Reply #203 on: May 28, 2011, 08:34:29 PM »
It's just....not very deep.

Actually depending on the woman, it could be very deep.
space cadet, pull out.
The only thing I enjoy more than Frengers is pleasing myself anally via the prostate.
"From my butt, I can see your house..."

Offline Adami

« Reply #204 on: May 28, 2011, 08:35:31 PM »

...Don't get me started with blues and jazz.  Classical is ok since at least the instrumentation is very wide.

The thing is, music is very purpose-driven.  I don't really take much issue with any music form on it's own.  But I take issue with pop artists because it seems like their purpose is to get famous.  So to me, it seems like they compromise their musical integrity to reach that end.  Whereas lots of other artists write from the heart without too much concern over money and fame, and I really respect that.

So basically Pop is inferior to prog, blues is inferior to prog, jazz is inferior to prog, classical is inferior to prog........................I'm finished man, you clearly have an extremely limited view of music. But if that's what makes you happy, then more power to you, I'll still enjoy Prog, Classical, Blues, Jazz, Pop and yes even some Rap from time to time.  :)
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline zxlkho

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #205 on: May 28, 2011, 08:35:43 PM »
Don't get me started with blues and jazz.
Oh believe me, I'm getting you started.

What do you have against blues and jazz??
I AM A GUY

Offline Ħ

« Reply #206 on: May 28, 2011, 08:39:42 PM »

So basically Pop is inferior to prog, blues is inferior to prog, jazz is inferior to prog, classical is inferior to prog........................I'm finished man, you clearly have an extremely limited view of music. But if that's what makes you happy, then more power to you, I'll still enjoy Prog, Classical, Blues, Jazz, Pop and yes even some Rap from time to time.  :)
But...why are you getting that from what I'm saying?  It's not like I'm a genre snob.  I just like music that calls upon the resources it needs to achieve an honest purpose.  It's not just that I only listen to prog...that is not even true.

Offline Ravenheart

• Hair
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #207 on: May 28, 2011, 08:40:01 PM »

Well, that's stupid. It's already been pointed out how DT willingly and happily narrow their range of musical diversity.

And diversity is largely irrelevant if the music isn't good. An album filled to the brim with different genres and ideas means absolutely nothing if they're not brought together in a way that good songs are concocted.

This has nothing to do with anything. A good song is a good song. A bad song is a bad song.

It's silly to care. Again, why do you care at all? Nothing is going to change. The music industry hasn't changed at all in the regard of fabricating pop stars, nor will it ever.

Your view of music is very, very limited, and it's kind of sad, to be honest.

Offline zxlkho

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #208 on: May 28, 2011, 08:40:53 PM »
It's not like I'm a genre snob.

Yes. Yes, you are. Very much so.
I AM A GUY

Offline Ħ

« Reply #209 on: May 28, 2011, 08:43:34 PM »
Don't get me started with blues and jazz.
Oh believe me, I'm getting you started.

What do you have against blues and jazz??
...speaking of musicians that limit their options....

What is with you guys anyway?  I'm not freaking dissing pop.  I'm just dissing this factory system that has produced these hit-driven musicians who are praised more for what they look like than what they sound like.  The soul is GONE.