Author Topic: The Lady Gaga corner V. Popopo papapa rororo ale alejandro  (Read 32993 times)

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
Re: The Lady Gaga corner V. Popopo papapa rororo ale alejandro
« Reply #140 on: May 27, 2011, 10:47:13 PM »
Wham's "Careless Whisper" is a better pop song than any pop song mentioned in this thread thus far. :biggrin:

Offline Ravenheart

• Hair
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #141 on: May 27, 2011, 11:03:34 PM »
As far as I'm concerned, Emilie Simon's Vegetal is the quintessential "pop" album  :millahhhh

Offline faemir

• Official DTF 5.0 mix HATER
« Reply #142 on: May 28, 2011, 05:30:39 AM »
Not talking about prog at all

My point is that complaining of what pop music is - it is so because the casual listener of music only wants shallow, catchy <3minute songs. It doesn't matter if you try to get them to listen to prog or metal or jazz or dubstep, they won't be interested, just as casual watchers don't really care about dvd vs. bluray.

Lady Gaga however, is at the forefront of pop music at the moment, writing the bestp pop music out today, and she's the one writing it, not some faceless writer behind yet another hot looking woman. Trying looking up some of her acoustic performances - she can play. She's got a great stand on civil issues, and goes completely against the fashion and beauty slavery of women today.

If that's not enough for you, well then I don't know what is.

Offline The Degenerate

• The Knight of Noir
« Reply #143 on: May 28, 2011, 06:08:17 AM »
While I'm not a huge fan of her music, I can agree with what faemir says. I definitely like her more than most current pop stars...
"Never forget what you are, for surely the world will not. Make it your strength. Then it can never be your weakness. Armour yourself in it, and it will never be used to hurt you." ~ Tyrion Lannister

Offline Ħ

« Reply #144 on: May 28, 2011, 10:25:28 AM »
Unfortunately like many pop songs, they revolve around sex....for example "love games"
"All great works are prepared in the desert, including the redemption of the world. The precursors, the followers, the Master Himself, all obeyed or have to obey one and the same law. Prophets, apostles, preachers, martyrs, pioneers of knowledge, inspired artists in every art, ordinary men and the Man-God, all pay tribute to loneliness, to the life of silence, to the night." - A. G. Sertillanges

Offline mizzl

• DTF.org Member
  • I have officialy been ravenhearted. Thanks Zydar!
« Reply #145 on: May 28, 2011, 10:26:08 AM »
Unfortunately like many pop songs, they revolve around sex....for example "love games"
Yeah, but whatcha gonna do about that?

Online Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #146 on: May 28, 2011, 10:29:24 AM »

So?
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline skydivingninja

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #147 on: May 28, 2011, 10:34:05 AM »

So?

Offline ClairvoyantCat

• DT is no longer Majesty.
« Reply #148 on: May 28, 2011, 10:36:28 AM »

It seems an appropriate subject for the kind of music, don't you think? 

I couldn't imagine her singing about existentialism or something like that with this kind of music, so I don't see any problem with the sexually charged lyrics. 

Offline antigoon

• Not Elvis
  • DT.net Veteran
  • This was a triumph.
« Reply #149 on: May 28, 2011, 10:36:48 AM »
You sound like a concerned, out of touch mother, memberH.

Offline ClairvoyantCat

« Reply #150 on: May 28, 2011, 10:37:37 AM »
You sound like a concerned, out of touch mother, memberH.

motherh

Online chknptpie

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #151 on: May 28, 2011, 10:45:01 AM »
What else would pop music be written about besides the most popular thing?  :lol

Offline Ravenheart

• Hair
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #152 on: May 28, 2011, 10:59:46 AM »
You're not even saying anything anymore.

Offline ClairvoyantCat

« Reply #153 on: May 28, 2011, 11:00:35 AM »

I understand where you're coming from, but singing about sex can have an appeal.  It's like quick attack, really, it can catch the audience quickly and have up to 50% effect on them!  You can also make use of the clever "Rock-slide" kind of lyrics, but there's a time and a place.  Sexually charged lyrics are well known to be essential in the pokemon fight of music.

Offline Ravenheart

• Hair
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #154 on: May 28, 2011, 11:03:49 AM »
Life is really just a big cycle of quick attacks and rock-slides.

Offline ClairvoyantCat

« Reply #155 on: May 28, 2011, 11:04:30 AM »
We go through the motions, quick-attacking everything that moves, but the sad fact is that the inevitable rock-slide of time is going to get us all in the end.

Offline jsem

« Reply #156 on: May 28, 2011, 11:05:24 AM »
 :rollin :rollin

Offline Sigz

• BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD
  • DTF.org Member
  • THRONES FOR THE THRONE SKULL
« Reply #157 on: May 28, 2011, 11:14:35 AM »
*reads last four pages of thread*

WTF
The world is a stage, but the play is badly cast.

Offline tjanuranus

« Reply #158 on: May 28, 2011, 11:38:23 AM »

My point is that complaining of what pop music is - it is so because the casual listener of music only wants shallow, catchy <3minute songs. It doesn't matter if you try to get them to listen to prog or metal or jazz or dubstep, they won't be interested, just as casual watchers don't really care about dvd vs. bluray.

Lady Gaga however, is at the forefront of pop music at the moment, writing the bestp pop music out today, and she's the one writing it, not some faceless writer behind yet another hot looking woman. Trying looking up some of her acoustic performances - she can play. She's got a great stand on civil issues, and goes completely against the fashion and beauty slavery of women today.

I understand what you are saying and that's fine but i would argue that the writing her own songs things is way over blown. Red one is responsible for her sound and probably writes most of the stuff. She probably writes the lyrics.

Nadir Khayat, known by the stage name RedOne, was born in Tétouan, Morocco[1] and is a 2 time Grammy Award-winning and 4 time Grammy Nominee Swedish producer/songwriter.[2][3] He has been described as the key to Lady Gaga's musical sound.[4] In 2010, RedOne established his own record label named 2101 Records as a joint venture with Universal International Music, an administrative unit of Universal Music Group. Each artist signed to the 2101/Universal venture will be released via a record label within Universal Music Group. Mohombi was the first artist to be signed to the label.[5]

In 2010, RedOne received 4 Grammy nominations at the 52nd Grammy Awards including Album of the Year as a producer for Lady Gaga's The Fame, Record of the Year and Best Dance Recording as producer, and Song of the Year as a songwriter for Gaga's hit single "Poker Face", later resulting in the win for Best Dance Recording.[2] In 2011, RedOne was nominated for a Grammy Award for Producer of the Year (non-classical). He was also nominated for Album of the Year, a second time in a row, for his contributions to Lady Gaga's The Fame Monster as a producer.
« Last Edit: May 28, 2011, 12:10:42 PM by tjanuranus »

Offline Gadough

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #159 on: May 28, 2011, 11:42:25 AM »
*reads last four pages of thread*

WTF

You're just in time for the fun! Feel free to jump in whenever you'd like.
Gadough isn't Hitler. He's much, much worse.

Offline Nighthawkwill7

• Purveyor of All Things Laser-Guided
« Reply #160 on: May 28, 2011, 11:51:33 AM »

I understand what you are saying but and that's fine but i would argue that the writing her own songs things is way over blown. Red one is responsible for her sound and probably writes most of the stuff. She probably writes the lyrics.

Nadir Khayat, known by the stage name RedOne, was born in Tétouan, Morocco[1] and is a 2 time Grammy Award-winning and 4 time Grammy Nominee Swedish producer/songwriter.[2][3] He has been described as the key to Lady Gaga's musical sound.[4] In 2010, RedOne established his own record label named 2101 Records as a joint venture with Universal International Music, an administrative unit of Universal Music Group. Each artist signed to the 2101/Universal venture will be released via a record label within Universal Music Group. Mohombi was the first artist to be signed to the label.[5]

In 2010, RedOne received 4 Grammy nominations at the 52nd Grammy Awards including Album of the Year as a producer for Lady Gaga's The Fame, Record of the Year and Best Dance Recording as producer, and Song of the Year as a songwriter for Gaga's hit single "Poker Face", later resulting in the win for Best Dance Recording.[2] In 2011, RedOne was nominated for a Grammy Award for Producer of the Year (non-classical). He was also nominated for Album of the Year, a second time in a row, for his contributions to Lady Gaga's The Fame Monster as a producer.

Well, This is all very silly...

Offline TL

« Reply #161 on: May 28, 2011, 03:36:01 PM »
Trying looking up some of her acoustic performances - she can play.
If she was commercially releasing piano based songs, that might actually be relevant.
It would be a bit like saying the movie 'Jack' is automatically good because the same director was also capable of making something like 'The Godfather'. If anything, having talent but squandering it is actually sadder.

She's got a great stand on civil issues, and goes completely against the fashion and beauty slavery of women today.
She's good at marketing and knows how to pander very well. She has also done a fantastic job of convincing people that a weak, watered down version of David Bowie's style from the '70s is creative and original.
Plus, those things don't change how the music sounds.

Offline The Degenerate

• The Knight of Noir
« Reply #162 on: May 28, 2011, 03:43:59 PM »

:lol :lol

Your posts are always a joy, Mistah H.
"Never forget what you are, for surely the world will not. Make it your strength. Then it can never be your weakness. Armour yourself in it, and it will never be used to hurt you." ~ Tyrion Lannister

Offline Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #163 on: May 28, 2011, 04:15:08 PM »
Better to let em be, then shove stuff like Opeth, PT in their face any chance you get.

My friend likes Rap and Hip-Hop yet he liked Blackwater Park. Didn't buy it but he still enjoyed it.

I like pop songs every now and then, hell I enjoy the Spice Girls song Viva Forever, and Selenas Dreaming of You.

Also, I just saw Alejandro on tv earlier, I enjoyed it up until the chorus.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline faemir

« Reply #164 on: May 28, 2011, 04:34:05 PM »
Trying looking up some of her acoustic performances - she can play.
If she was commercially releasing piano based songs, that might actually be relevant.
It would be a bit like saying the movie 'Jack' is automatically good because the same director was also capable of making something like 'The Godfather'. If anything, having talent but squandering it is actually sadder.

She's got a great stand on civil issues, and goes completely against the fashion and beauty slavery of women today.
She's good at marketing and knows how to pander very well. She has also done a fantastic job of convincing people that a weak, watered down version of David Bowie's style from the '70s is creative and original.
Plus, those things don't change how the music sounds.

She's applied her skills well in writing to make good songs - it just so happens that songs like Paparazzi work better non-acoustically. Last time she has a piano heavy song called Speechless so i'm sure she can play in that. And just because she's good at piano doesn't mean she has to play it well to exploit that. You might prefer a piano romp, but clearly she prefers to translate that initial writing to synth-heavy songs.

She knows how to market and pander really well? I don't see any other pop artists doing half of what she's pushing. Watered-down David Bowie? I'm not sure what to make of that, her songs are broad enough in style as it is, and I'm not seeing the comparison.

Offline jsem

« Reply #165 on: May 28, 2011, 04:34:50 PM »
Better to let em be, then shove stuff like Opeth, PT in their face any chance you get.

My friend likes Rap and Hip-Hop yet he liked Blackwater Park. Didn't buy it but he still enjoyed it.

I like pop songs every now and then, hell I enjoy the Spice Girls song Viva Forever, and Selenas Dreaming of You.

Most young people these days don't buy pop music anyway. They DL it.

Offline Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #166 on: May 28, 2011, 04:41:45 PM »
True, but they're the ones who aren't into music, and are into something else. The world isn't just about music, yes its a wonder, but their is more important matters than music. They just view it as something that's cool to enjoy. Plain and simple, guess that's how I can enjoy many styles of music and other arts.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline faemir

« Reply #167 on: May 28, 2011, 04:47:18 PM »

Most young people these days don't buy pop music anyway. They DL it.

Far more young people buy pop music from itunes than pirate it. You're overestimating the technological competance of the general population.

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #168 on: May 28, 2011, 05:14:42 PM »
Like most have already said, the majority of people out there aren't going to be mesmerized by that technical yet melodic and catchy solo by that awesome guitarist, like you and me. If they can't dance to it, they don't give a fuck.

I checked out that Just Dance video just to see if Lady Gaga was actually attractive or not in said video, and at certain times, she actually was (and the song wasn't even half bad) but fuck, on recent magazine covers, she looks atrocious. :puke:

Also, back in Florida when I was able to listen to my music in my friend's car, he would say that the particular song I was listening to had no beat when clearly it did (all music has a beat), but being a mostly mainstream rap, rock and hip hop fan, he wasn't getting the same "feeling" from the song that I was.

Offline faemir

« Reply #169 on: May 28, 2011, 05:32:41 PM »

vs.

Offline LieLowTheWantedMan

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #170 on: May 28, 2011, 05:35:37 PM »

:lol :lol

Your posts are always a joy, Mistah H.
Meh. I get where he's coming from. I don't wanna listen to something that's the same as a bunch of other things.

Online Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #171 on: May 28, 2011, 05:36:20 PM »
Lady Gaga is no more "the same" as all pop music, than DT is "the same" as all prog rock music.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline ClairvoyantCat

« Reply #172 on: May 28, 2011, 05:37:34 PM »
...and I honestly wouldn't really care if it was. 

Offline LieLowTheWantedMan

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #173 on: May 28, 2011, 05:37:48 PM »
Lady Gaga is no more "the same" as all pop music, than DT is "the same" as all prog rock music.
I don't really see how DT is "the same", with Octavarium being the exception. All of this pop sounds exactly the same to me. And I can listen to a DT song and say it's DT, however the same can't be said for Gaga.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #174 on: May 28, 2011, 05:39:21 PM »
She's talented as all hell but I don't like the techno dancing sound.  She's much better organic.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC