Author Topic: The Lady Gaga corner V. Popopo papapa rororo ale alejandro  (Read 33021 times)

Offline tjanuranus

Re: The Lady Gaga corner V. Popopo papapa rororo ale alejandro
« Reply #105 on: May 27, 2011, 04:16:12 PM »
Closer was one of the most popular songs of the 90's. Trent also had other hit songs that is what pop music is, popular.  Even louie louie as a song has shelf life. Everyone knows it decades later. I highly doubt the same will be said about any of the pop music today, that's my point.
You've obviously completely misunderstood SND's point. Louie Louie was just an example that we remember, even obscurely. There has been TONS of music thoughout the decades that none of us even knows apart from some older people who vaguely remember it from the time. Nothing has changed.

First SDV, now SND, WHY CAN'T PEOPLE REMEMBER MY DAMN ACRONYM?

Also, TJ, "Toxic" was released in what, 2003?  That's eight years ago.  And its a bloody fantastic song.  Hmmm...

I really mean her first two albums had the songs that everyone will remember in the future.

Offline skydivingninja

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #106 on: May 27, 2011, 04:17:28 PM »
I guarantee you in the year five billion they'll still be playing "Toxic."

Kosmo

« Reply #107 on: May 27, 2011, 04:17:43 PM »
Gaga's songs are too catchy to dismiss, some of them are even pretty good.

Offline Gadough

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #108 on: May 27, 2011, 04:18:03 PM »

I'm gonna start referring to you as TGWHM.

"That Guy Who Hates Me"
Gadough isn't Hitler. He's much, much worse.

Offline tjanuranus

« Reply #109 on: May 27, 2011, 04:18:19 PM »
Concerning Gaga's attractiveness. She has the potential to be really, really hot. But she chooses to be zany and bizarre looking instead. :lol Which is cool too; I actually respect her for being unique. I just remember how hot she was in the Just Dance video, and it makes my penis sad that she doesn't look like that anymore.
That's my point. Doing her own thing is generally NOT what is reflected in a lot of popular culture. Hence why she is not the worst example out there.

Concerning Gaga's attractiveness. She has the potential to be really, really hot. But she chooses to be zany and bizarre looking instead. :lol Which is cool too; I actually respect her for being unique. I just remember how hot she was in the Just Dance video, and it makes my penis sad that she doesn't look like that anymore.

It's not unique. It's a blend of madonna, alice cooper, and marilyn manson. But i know what you mean, she's trying to be different than the rest.
By that logic, nothing is unique. It's called influence.

Well yeah, there isn't much that is unique to me. I don't have a problem with anything she does or any of her songs. I just have a problem with the state of music as it is now. I've always loved music and could listen to the radio every day. Now... it's fucking bullshit.

Offline lateralus88

• The Official DTF Stanley Kubrick Fanboi
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • I stabbed Euronymous because he drank my PBR
« Reply #110 on: May 27, 2011, 04:18:52 PM »

"That Guy Who Hates Me"
TGHMW?
I felt its length in quite a few places.

Awesome Majesty Pendant Club: Member #3

Offline tjanuranus

« Reply #111 on: May 27, 2011, 04:19:00 PM »

I bet you 5 dollars that they won't in the year 5 billion.

Offline Gadough

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #112 on: May 27, 2011, 04:19:49 PM »

"That Guy Who Hates Me"
TGHMW?

That guy who...makes waffles?

?

Offline Gadough

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #113 on: May 27, 2011, 04:20:19 PM »

"That Guy Who Hates Me"
TGHMW?

That guy who...makes waffles?

?

YOU'RE ON

Offline robwebster

« Reply #114 on: May 27, 2011, 04:20:36 PM »
!!

I'll second that. It's also the only Britney Spears song I can remember. When I thought a little harder, I managed Hit Me Baby One More Time, but Toxic is the quintessential Spears song.

Offline skydivingninja

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #115 on: May 27, 2011, 04:20:47 PM »

Watch the episode of Doctor Who called "New Earth" for the reference.  :biggrin:

Offline tjanuranus

« Reply #116 on: May 27, 2011, 04:21:17 PM »
!!

I'll second that. It's also the only Britney Spears song I can remember. When I thought a little harder, I managed Hit Me Baby One More Time, but Toxic is the quintessential Spears song.

It pains me to read that...  :omg:

Offline Ravenheart

• Hair
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #117 on: May 27, 2011, 04:21:46 PM »
Fucking music snobbery, how does it work?

Online Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #118 on: May 27, 2011, 04:22:44 PM »
!!

It would be much easier and nicer to realize that you can not like something without it being inferior.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #119 on: May 27, 2011, 04:23:55 PM »
Tj, there's something important that you seem to be ignoring. What is on the radio is not the only measure of what is popular in general. I actually agree that radio stations are not as good as they used to be, and seem to play a narrower range of music. But this is because, back in the day, the radio was the only real way to discover new music. Well, or live gigs I suppose, but those cost money as well as buying the albums. So the only way to really "try before you buy" was the radio, and so it covered everything because it needed to appeal to everyone including hardcore music fans.

That is not the case these days. Those of us who really want to discover new music do so via the internet mostly, and even within that there are a ton of different ways. So the radio is primarily for more casual listeners, those who don't take music too seriously and want something with a catchy hook, or a dancable beat.

But this doesn't mean that pop music is in any worse a state than it ever was. If you look at the album charts, there is a lot of really great, intelligent music in there.

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Offline tjanuranus

« Reply #120 on: May 27, 2011, 04:24:57 PM »
Fucking music snobbery, how does it work?

please.

Offline robwebster

« Reply #121 on: May 27, 2011, 04:25:21 PM »

Watch the episode of Doctor Who called "New Earth" for the reference.  :biggrin:
End of the World, but yes. Caught it. :hat

!!

I think part of it is the production. Toxic is not only well-written (superbly written!), but it doesn't pigeonhole itself into the pop bracket quite so harshly. Still blatantly pop, but not as bubblegum as Hit Me Baby.

Third one that comes to mind is Womaniser, but I'm pretty sure Toxic's her signature track. Poss HMB! You might be right. Everyone's different. Don't really have any data. Just gut feeling.

Tj, there's something important that you seem to be ignoring. What is on the radio is not the only measure of what is popular in general. I actually agree that radio stations are not as good as they used to be, and seem to play a narrower range of music. But this is because, back in the day, the radio was the only real way to discover new music. Well, or live gigs I suppose, but those cost money as well as buying the albums. So the only way to really "try before you buy" was the radio, and so it covered everything because it needed to appeal to everyone including hardcore music fans.

That is not the case these days. Those of us who really want to discover new music do so via the internet mostly, and even within that there are a ton of different ways. So the radio is primarily for more casual listeners, those who don't take music too seriously and want something with a catchy hook, or a dancable beat.

But this doesn't mean that pop music is in any worse a state than it ever was. If you look at the album charts, there is a lot of really great, intelligent music in there.
Magnificently put. I was a little tempted to cack out a radio essay (I've done a lot of 'em at uni), but you've basically covered it. Plus I'm lazy. But mainly you've covered it.

Offline Ravenheart

• Hair
  • DTF.org Member

Offline tjanuranus

« Reply #123 on: May 27, 2011, 04:26:22 PM »

Well i understand that because almost all of the music i discover comes from the internet. I just feel like it shouldn't be that way. The music industry brings that upon itself and that's why radio stations are doing so poorly.

Offline jsem

« Reply #124 on: May 27, 2011, 04:26:45 PM »
!!

Toxic is actually a really good song.

Offline Gadough

• DTF.org Alumni

Offline chknptpie

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #126 on: May 27, 2011, 04:29:31 PM »
Mamamama my this thread has gotten stuffy

Offline tjanuranus

« Reply #127 on: May 27, 2011, 04:29:34 PM »

Watch the episode of Doctor Who called "New Earth" for the reference.  :biggrin:
End of the World, but yes. Caught it. :hat
!!

It pains me to read that...  :omg:
I think part of it is the production. Toxic is not only well-written (superbly written!), but it doesn't pigeonhole itself into the pop bracket quite so harshly. Still blatantly pop, but not as bubblegum as Hit Me Baby.

Third one that comes to mind is Womaniser, but I'm pretty sure Toxic's her signature track. Poss HMB! You might be right. Everyone's different. Don't really have any data. Just gut feeling.

No where did i say that YOU couldn't feel that way. I just said it pains ME to read that because i think her first two albums are masterfully written and produced. I really love great pop song writing and i feel like it's gone now because of monotonous melodies and autotune. Also i doesn't seem like people put as much effort into the craft anymore. The melodies for her hugely popular songs are beautiful and REALLY well written. Max Martin is one of the best at writing pop melodies, my favorite of the last 15 years.

Offline robwebster

« Reply #128 on: May 27, 2011, 04:29:55 PM »

Well i understand that because almost all of the music i discover comes from the internet. I just feel like it shouldn't be that way. The music industry brings that upon itself and that's why radio stations are doing so poorly.
Not at all. Active media consumption brought it upon itself.

Radio, previously, brought the world of music to the listeners' front room. Nowadays, the internet is far more flexible, and allows the listener to actively seek their own music, rather than have it fed to them. So, rather than provide a service it's outclassed at, it's shifted to reflect the things that it's very, very good at: writing playlists, creating atmosphere, providing easy listening, and involving the listener more interactively. It's a companion, rather than a service. Because it has to be!

Offline tjanuranus

« Reply #129 on: May 27, 2011, 04:30:49 PM »
!!

Toxic is actually a really good song.

Agreed, but i wasn't talking about a song being good. I was talking about GREAT pop songs that have a long shelf life. If you feel toxic is that than ok.

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #130 on: May 27, 2011, 04:31:28 PM »
Yeah it's the nature of technology. When something new comes along and provides the same function but more quickly and easily and comprehensively, the old technology will of course fall behind.

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Offline robwebster

« Reply #131 on: May 27, 2011, 04:31:36 PM »

No where did i say that YOU couldn't feel that way.
Er, I didn't say you did? Just elaborating. I'm a motormouth. Pologies.

Offline Gadough

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #132 on: May 27, 2011, 04:32:01 PM »
Let's all just appreciate the Toxic music video, in which Spears is literally completely naked throughout.

:heart

Offline tjanuranus

« Reply #133 on: May 27, 2011, 04:32:33 PM »
Let's all just appreciate the Toxic music video, in which Spears is literally completely naked throughout.

yes when she was hot. agreed.

Offline tjanuranus

« Reply #134 on: May 27, 2011, 04:33:23 PM »

It pains me to read that...  :omg:

No where did i say that YOU couldn't feel that way.
Er, I didn't say you did? Just elaborating. I'm a motormouth. Pologies.
[/quote]

i was actually reffering to other people when i wrote that, not really directed at you. I think you may have caught the shrapnel. My fault... :blush

Offline Nighthawkwill7

• Purveyor of All Things Laser-Guided
« Reply #135 on: May 27, 2011, 04:36:11 PM »
Not a Gaga fan but I don't take issue with those that are. Some people just like simple music they can dance to or sing along with whilst driving.

No need to be hatin' on other people's taste in music. Just take 50mg of :chill  :chill
Besides I'm sure most people would label us music nerds or band geeks if they knew what we listened to, and that's not going to affect our tastes in music.  :tup

Offline faemir

• Official DTF 5.0 mix HATER
« Reply #136 on: May 27, 2011, 05:26:29 PM »

Have you um, tried getting people who listen to the radio to listen to prog?

I hope it's going well for you.

Offline tjanuranus

« Reply #137 on: May 27, 2011, 06:28:24 PM »
Not talking about prog at all

Offline Global Laziness

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #138 on: May 27, 2011, 06:29:21 PM »
Toxic is the quintessential Spears song.

Because:

Quote from: Jamesman42
Global Laziness: Speaks for Canada
Quote from: black_floyd
I walked down a spiral staircase in 19/16 in honor of Tom Sawyer and now I'm in crutches.

Offline tjanuranus

« Reply #139 on: May 27, 2011, 10:37:56 PM »
Watching gaga concert on hbo. Shes doing a gay pride with all gay people in underwear on stage. Ok I think I just gained some respect.
« Last Edit: May 27, 2011, 10:58:33 PM by tjanuranus »