Author Topic: The R.E.M. thread  (Read 4524 times)

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
Re: The R.E.M. thread
« Reply #35 on: January 10, 2021, 02:01:28 PM »
Such a good thread!

I LOVE REM...perhaps now more than ever.

While the Document thru Automatic era was both my introduction and favorite ('Automatic' is a Top 5 album for me), I enjoy all eras fairly equally.

The IRS albums are obviously gold, but in recent years I've found myself revisiting (and quite enjoying) the Up, Reveal, New York albums.

In my opinion, it's an incredible 15 album run, complete with a stellar debut, a masterpiece (or two), and an amazing third act (Accelerate is as strong a 14th album as I can find).

I was incredibly bummed when they called it quits, but over the past few years, I've made my peace with the decision, and even appreciate the fact that they've stuck to their guns.

Stipe is an 'all-time' frontman for me, and I still find myself catching an odd line and marveling at the pure genius behind it.

I think he's a WAYYYYYYYYYYYY better singer than he gets credit for.

My main problem with REM is that I don't really care for most of their influences.  They come from that sort of Lou Reed/Velvet Underground/Patty Smith scene, and other than a smattering of VU songs, I can't stand that.  I think Patty Smith has as much musical talent as Donald Trump ([size 5pt]I don't know if he has any, but I'm assuming not.  I used him, because I think her skill is the same as his: latching on to a movement and exploiting it.[/size]).  I like them best when they veer toward their more mainstream 60's rock and psychedelic roots.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #36 on: January 10, 2021, 02:02:47 PM »
Some of their hits are great (Stand, Losing My Religion, Shiny Happy People), but I think the fact that some are not is why I never felt the urge to dig deeper for so long.  Superman, The One I Love, It's the End of the World..., Get Up and Pop Song 89 are all mostly songs I can do without; The One I Love is the only one of those I ever turn on, and even that is pretty rare.  For me, Document is totally lopsided.  The first five songs are all very good/great, and then the rest is all pretty average.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #37 on: January 10, 2021, 02:09:02 PM »
So.... controversial opinion time:  As much as I love them - and they are a band I have every release from and most of the obscure b-sides and soundtrack cuts - I think 25 years from now, they are a footnote.  I don't see them influencing other bands as much as some of their contemporaries, like U2 and (gasp, I can't believe I'm saying this) Radiohead, and as they get further from their last album (it's 10 years now) that will diminish.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #38 on: January 10, 2021, 02:16:07 PM »
So.... controversial opinion time:  As much as I love them - and they are a band I have every release from and most of the obscure b-sides and soundtrack cuts - I think 25 years from now, they are a footnote.  I don't see them influencing other bands as much as some of their contemporaries, like U2 and (gasp, I can't believe I'm saying this) Radiohead, and as they get further from their last album (it's 10 years now) that will diminish.

Hard to say.  Rock has been diminished so much as a mainstream force that rock bands in general might see their influence diminish a bit on a wider scale.   I suspect the band and many of their fans would vomit at the thought that in 10 years, they might be remembered largely as "that band that did Shiny Happy People."

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
  • Bouncing around the room
« Reply #39 on: January 10, 2021, 02:38:52 PM »
I remember when I was a kid and my dad played them, there were always songs I liked such as Man on the Moon and The Great Beyond (the latter might still be my fav R.E.M song) but in my teenage years I didn't explore them further because they felt like a fairly tame rock band compared to many of their peers. More focus on radio/pop accessibility than in-your-face riffs and energy. However in the last few years having become older, I think I like that about them. They're not as rocking as some of their contemporaries but they can write good melodies and some interesting lyrics to make them stand out in a different way.

Offline HOF

« Reply #40 on: January 10, 2021, 03:09:56 PM »

Hard to say.  Rock has been diminished so much as a mainstream force that rock bands in general might see their influence diminish a bit on a wider scale.   I suspect the band and many of their fans would vomit at the thought that in 10 years, they might be remembered largely as "that band that did Shiny Happy People."

Yeah, I think REM already had a major influence on the 90s alt rock scene, and to an extent on the 00s indie rock scene too. But whether they have much impact in 10 years? Well, I’m not sure you’d expect that from any rock band 30+ years after their hey day. I’m not sure U2 has much current influence either in 10 years unless there’s some sort of big rock revival and some band who is their analog to Greta Van Fleet pops up or something.

Offline HOF

« Reply #41 on: January 10, 2021, 03:33:58 PM »
I wouldn’t say I’m a huge REM fan, but I always liked their radio hits growing up, and Monster was one of the first albums I owned as a kid. I still think it holds up really well and it’s still my favorite album of theirs probably, but I only have Green through Monster plus a compilation album with some of their 80s stuff. After Monster I think Automatic for the People is really strong, but Green and Out of Time are a bit more hit and miss to me.

For those who don’t get Monster, for me it’s just a really interesting album with a bunch of different but cool styles, and I like the more grungy edge. What’s The Frequency Kenneth and Star 69 are really fun, then I really like King of Comedy as well. But the two kind of hidden gems are Strange Currencies (can’t remember if that was a radio hit or not but it should have been) and Let Me In, which was sort of a tribute to Kurt Cobain I believe.

Listening to Monster again now. A lot of nostalgia for me with this one for sure. Another great track I forgot to mention is Tongue. Such a cool, soulful little tune.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #42 on: January 10, 2021, 06:10:12 PM »

Yeah, I think REM already had a major influence on the 90s alt rock scene, and to an extent on the 00s indie rock scene too. But whether they have much impact in 10 years? Well, I’m not sure you’d expect that from any rock band 30+ years after their hey day. I’m not sure U2 has much current influence either in 10 years unless there’s some sort of big rock revival and some band who is their analog to Greta Van Fleet pops up or something.

Well, that's just it; bands like The Beatles, Zeppelin, The Who, and Pink Floyd are STILL influencing bands.  Even if you go back and say "we want to recreate that classic '80's alt rock scene..." do you jump right to REM?   I don't think so.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #43 on: January 11, 2021, 01:39:24 PM »
My fave song on MONSTER is either Kenneth - ( I have an olive green tee with a red star on it because of the video and tour....)

- Or Circus Envy - that chorus is so good.

The rhythm guitar tone on ...Kenneth? is so good. It doesn't sound like a fuzz pedal as it still has the sharp edges. To me it sounds like a clean channel overdriven like the AC/DC sound

but pushed even further. Basically the clean volume turned all the way up and the master volume backed off.

Offline HOF

« Reply #44 on: January 11, 2021, 02:20:08 PM »
My fave song on MONSTER is either Kenneth - ( I have an olive green tee with a red star on it because of the video and tour....)

- Or Circus Envy - that chorus is so good.

The rhythm guitar tone on ...Kenneth? is so good. It doesn't sound like a fuzz pedal as it still has the sharp edges. To me it sounds like a clean channel overdriven like the AC/DC sound

but pushed even further. Basically the clean volume turned all the way up and the master volume backed off.

Circus Envy is a cool song. Talk about a fuzzy guitar tone! I also think You is really interesting with its huge wall of guitars and kind of a middle eastern sound.

Offline EPICVIEW

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #45 on: January 11, 2021, 03:31:04 PM »
REM    good times Id have to dust off my old cds..
"its so relieving to know that your leaving as soon as you get paid, Its so relaxing to know that your asking now that you got your way"

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #46 on: January 11, 2021, 03:49:19 PM »
I love when a band strays out of their normal comfort zone and does something you normally wouldn't expect (some bands' best albums happen as a result), but Monster, to me, sounds like a band doing something too far out of their wheelhouse and it not working very well, a few songs aside.

Offline HOF

« Reply #47 on: January 11, 2021, 03:50:50 PM »
I love when a band strays out of their normal comfort zone and does something you normally wouldn't expect (some bands' best albums happen as a result), but Monster, to me, sounds like a band doing something too far out of their wheelhouse and it not working very well, a few songs aside.

Probably one of the reasons this doesn’t bother me is that Monster was my first significant exposure to REM, so to me it was their wheelhouse.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #48 on: January 11, 2021, 08:51:56 PM »

Probably one of the reasons this doesn’t bother me is that Monster was my first significant exposure to REM, so to me it was their wheelhouse.

Haha, makes sense.   Bang and Blame used to be one of a handful or so of R.E.M. songs I used to really like, but I find it boring now.  After hearing most of everything else, it just doesn't measure up, IMO.

Offline HOF

« Reply #49 on: January 11, 2021, 09:00:52 PM »

Haha, makes sense.   Bang and Blame used to be one of a handful or so of R.E.M. songs I used to really like, but I find it boring now.  After hearing most of everything else, it just doesn't measure up, IMO.

Bang and Blame is a little on the dull side, mostly in the chorus. I do like the verses and the little interlude after the first chorus where the tempo picks up. I also always liked how the band comes back in after the fade out.

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #50 on: January 12, 2021, 08:57:47 AM »
To me there's kinda 2 "phases" of R.E.M.

The early years (I would say first 5 albums or so) have that jangle pop feel with the guitars being a shining force. Songs like "Can't Get There From Here" and "Green Grow the Rushes" from Fables, or "Radio Free Europe" from Murmur, or "Harborcoat" from Reckoning are a few examples of this. It's a huge reason why I like these albums so much, the guitars just pull you in and while they are not on the heavier side of the rock swamp, the songs really groove. For me Fables is the best from this period but Murmur, Life's Rich Pageant, Reckoning and Document are all great too for sure.

Then I would say they had a bit of a Radiohead-mellowing out and expanding their ideas. Sometimes with great results, sometimes maybe not, but at least they're taking chances. Songs like "Daysleeper" or "Everybody Hurts" feel so distant from what the band did on the earlier albums, yet it's still just as good but in different ways. I think the band matured and while I think they got more inconsistent, they were able to write songs that they weren't capable of writing in their more rocking phase IMO. Every time I listen to Automatic For the People I always get reminded of the fact that most of that album consists of calm songs, which would normally bother me (because a balance is nice) but it works really well. "Ignoreland" is a personal favorite that gets overshadowed by the bigger hits of the album.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #51 on: January 12, 2021, 09:15:48 AM »
I like the Radiohead reference; that's also when I started to tune out, because I dislike Radiohead immensely.  I liked them best when they were a national, arena-level garage band playing updated pop hits from the late 60's.   I liked them less the more they navel-gazed.

Offline WilliamMunny

• Generation Mixtape
« Reply #52 on: January 12, 2021, 09:36:05 AM »
I like the Radiohead reference; that's also when I started to tune out, because I dislike Radiohead immensely.  I liked them best when they were a national, arena-level garage band playing updated pop hits from the late 60's.   I liked them less the more they navel-gazed.

You know, over the years, I've often found myself gravitating towards your posts.

I'd say to myself, "that Stadler, he's got pretty good taste. He likes Kiss; I like Kiss. He likes REM; I like REM...and so on"

Of all of the consistent posters on this forum, you taste seems to be the most consistently alighened with mine.

Except for Radiohead. :huh:

Far be it from me to try and 'talk you into' liking something—because, in my opinion, to each his own, but that being said, I have to ask if you've checked out Radiohead's "In Rainbows"?

If I was going to suggest a single album to a non-fan, that would be it.

That being said, feel free to tell me to go 'take a piss and fuck off' :P

Offline HOF

« Reply #53 on: January 12, 2021, 09:37:30 AM »

Radiohead have three albums that I really like which are each quite different from each other but make sense as a continuum of sorts (The Bends, OK Computer, and Kid A). But it feels to me more like they sort of stopped evolving and just got stuck in their weird electronic music phase.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #54 on: January 12, 2021, 09:39:47 AM »
REM were able to incorporate synths and keyboards etc without losing their core sound.

Radiohead almost abandoned guitars and songs entirely.

The Bends is a fantastic album and Amnesiac is absolute shite.

I don't think i've ever gone from loving a band to hating a band that much.

The Bends :  :tup :tup :tup

Ok Computer :  :huh: .... but  :tup ok cool

Kid A :  :-\ :-\ :-\..But Some of it's pretty cool I guess

Amnesiac :  :angry: WHAT THE FUCK IS THIS

----

p.s. I don't think a song like Daysleeper is a million miles away from a song like Perfect Circle from Murmur.

Edit : Everything In It's Right Place is an amazing track and it worked really well in Vanilla Sky.
« Last Edit: January 12, 2021, 09:53:51 AM by Kotowboy »

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #55 on: January 12, 2021, 10:51:35 AM »

You know, over the years, I've often found myself gravitating towards your posts.

I'd say to myself, "that Stadler, he's got pretty good taste. He likes Kiss; I like Kiss. He likes REM; I like REM...and so on"

Of all of the consistent posters on this forum, you taste seems to be the most consistently alighened with mine.

Except for Radiohead. :huh:

Far be it from me to try and 'talk you into' liking something—because, in my opinion, to each his own, but that being said, I have to ask if you've checked out Radiohead's "In Rainbows"?

If I was going to suggest a single album to a non-fan, that would be it.

That being said, feel free to tell me to go 'take a piss and fuck off' :P

Thank you for the kind words (and I can say the same).   And you don't have to apologize; I'm not one of those that thinks I'm anything special; in fact, with Radiohead (and I do this with Grace Under Pressure by Rush) I occasionally revisit to see if it clicks.  So many people like or love them that they can't possibly be all wrong.   I own OK Computer and Kid A, and had Hail To The Thief, until I sold it at bargain basement prices on eBay! :)  I've also heard The Bends and Amnesiac (once).

I have never heard "In Rainbows" but I will give it a try.  I'm open about it.   I even saw them once (open for I think it was REM, though I can't remember even one second of the show, so there's that).   I just can't get past Thom Yorke; his voice rankles, and his attitude smacks to me of sanctimonious pretentiousness.  Which is ironic coming from a guy that loves Rick Wakeman and ELP, but still.  ;) :)

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #56 on: January 12, 2021, 12:34:37 PM »
Good call on the Ignoreland mention, Zantera.  Great song.  I am a big fan of Sweetness Follows as well when looking at the non-hits from Automatic.

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #57 on: January 12, 2021, 01:07:31 PM »
Good call on the Ignoreland mention, Zantera.  Great song.  I am a big fan of Sweetness Follows as well when looking at the non-hits from Automatic.

Try Not to Breathe is another one I really like, and good call on Sweetness Follows!  :tup
With Automatic For the People I kinda feel like the non-hits of the album are the best songs but that's not me casting any shade on Man on the Moon, Everybody Hurts, The Sidewinder Sleeps Tonite or Nightswimming. I think all of them are strong. Usually it's a good sign of a strong album when the non singles are as good as the singles.  :hat

Offline HOF

« Reply #58 on: January 12, 2021, 01:12:57 PM »
Ignoreland is a good one. The best track on Automatic might be Find the River. Love love that intro.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #59 on: January 12, 2021, 01:14:22 PM »
Ignoreland is a good one. The best track on Automatic might be Find the River. Love love that intro.

I always thought so.

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #60 on: January 12, 2021, 01:20:37 PM »

Find the River is amazing. And yeah that intro is great and hits me in the feels.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #61 on: January 12, 2021, 01:20:58 PM »
Ignorland got some good airplay on radio where I was from.  Great tune.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #62 on: January 12, 2021, 01:35:20 PM »

Try Not to Breathe is another one I really like, and good call on Sweetness Follows!  :tup
With Automatic For the People I kinda feel like the non-hits of the album are the best songs but that's not me casting any shade on Man on the Moon, Everybody Hurts, The Sidewinder Sleeps Tonite or Nightswimming. I think all of them are strong. Usually it's a good sign of a strong album when the non singles are as good as the singles.  :hat

I can't stand Man On The Moon.  Hate it.   I love Everybody Hurts - might be Michael's finest vocal - and Sidewinder (though the band doesn't like it now, saying it doesn't fit the mood of the album).    Nightswimming is a weird song; great vocal, but the backing is very.... unsettling.   It's almost like it doesn't fit, except it does.  Brilliant song.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #63 on: January 12, 2021, 02:10:38 PM »
Apparently Mike Mills knows music theory so is the one to help Pete Buck's 'weirder' ideas come to fruition apparently.

Secondly - the name Michael Stipe is so connected to REM - that finding out his full name is John Michael Stipe doesn't sound right.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #64 on: January 12, 2021, 09:06:40 PM »

Find the River might be my favorite song of theirs now.

Agreed.  I think the short New Orleans instrumental is kind of a throwaway, but everything else is money.

I can't stand Man On The Moon.  Hate it.   I love Everybody Hurts - might be Michael's finest vocal - and Sidewinder (though the band doesn't like it now, saying it doesn't fit the mood of the album).    Nightswimming is a weird song; great vocal, but the backing is very.... unsettling.   It's almost like it doesn't fit, except it does.  Brilliant song.

Shocking that the band would throw shade at Sidewinder. OMG, it's a fun song, we can't have that!!  A lot of great music, but their knack for dogging their fun songs that helped them get as big as they were is a bit oft-putting. It comes off like "we were a serious band and songs like that were beneath us."

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #65 on: January 12, 2021, 10:58:22 PM »
Find the two main compilations, with the bonus disks:  the "And I Feel Fine" one from IRS and the In Time one from WB. They both have extensive liner notes and they really shed light on a lot.  Pete is the one that seems to have the hangups and self-consciousness with some of their work.

I'll look tomorrow; there's a great story about Michael walking in, singing something in one take and walking out.  Kind of read like a metaphorical mic drop.   

Offline soupytwist

• Star Trekkin
« Reply #66 on: January 13, 2021, 05:09:12 AM »
I find both of their final studio albums really underrated (in terms of sales anyway).  'Accelerate' in particular is a magnificent album, in the top 5 REM albums for me and 'Collapse Into Now' while a bit erratic it's still got a lot of quality on it.   It's a shame the first 3 post Bill Berry albums are probably their weakest 3 albums and killed their commercial appeal.   'Up' is an experimental mess, 'Reveal' is safe but a tad boring and 'Around the Sun' is a bloated turd!

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #67 on: January 13, 2021, 06:22:58 AM »
It was never a song I rated that highly by them but I found it funny to hear that they apparently despise Shiny Happy People.   :biggrin:
Low from the same album is a bit of a personal favorite though, and feels quite different for them.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #68 on: January 13, 2021, 10:43:37 AM »
Shiny Happy People sounds like a record company placating single.

I love that you hear Stipe giggling singing Sidewinder... Maybe he was laughing at the banality of the lyrics ?

Offline WilliamMunny

• Generation Mixtape
« Reply #69 on: January 13, 2021, 11:03:53 AM »
I find both of their final studio albums really underrated (in terms of sales anyway).  'Accelerate' in particular is a magnificent album, in the top 5 REM albums for me and 'Collapse Into Now' while a bit erratic it's still got a lot of quality on it.   It's a shame the first 3 post Bill Berry albums are probably their weakest 3 albums and killed their commercial appeal.   'Up' is an experimental mess, 'Reveal' is safe but a tad boring and 'Around the Sun' is a bloated turd!

I could not agree more!

"Accelerate" was such a surprise when it came out...stayed in my cd player for weeks.